Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Given the chance, who/what should I cosplay?
Kane
Commander McNeil
The Kodiak
NOD Soldier
View Results

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Nah, this can't be a tiberium game. You sure you didn't pick up some weird mod somebody did? How could it continue when Kane is Dead? It just doesn't make any sense to continue the line of games when Kane is Dead

Maybe he's been replaced with his younger brother Abel.

I bounced off this game hard IIRC. Not because of anything gameplay-related though, and hugely a matter of taste and I can completely see why someone'd disagree or just not care. Anyway, I'll say when we get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the Disc Throwers were inspired by the Spinfusor/Disc Launcher in Starsiege: Tribes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

It's like 2 missions in, come on

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That actually reminds me of a game called Ring of Red, where it actually went backwards - mechs really suck compared to tanks, but because of the "unusual" terrain in Japan they're more practical there.

The mech designs there were also pretty neat, and the gameplay was interesting, but unfortunately it was way too slow. Also IIRC the original story has you play alternate-history Nazis or maybe they're sponsoring you or something similar (the English translation changed/censored that at least).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the aesthetics were very rad and are what had me giving it way more tries than it really deserved. I ended up giving up on it once I've long since lost access to a PS2 and had too many problems trying to emulate it, before I'd heard of the original story elements (though as you say it was kinda obvious just by their uniforms thinking about it). Then again I wouldn't have held such things against a game at the time, didn't feel as important as it is these days.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I never got past maybe the 2nd/3rd mission because of the slowness :shrug:, so I didn't really get into the plot

But yeah you're right, this ain't the thread for it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The wheel is good.

The biped is evil.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Vicious

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pavement (or rather Concrete) also appeared in Dune 2 (and at least the remake, Dune 2000), but instead of preventing subterranean assaults (who'd be crazy enough to do it?) it was used as foundation for buildings. It was pretty annoying since you had to first put down the concrete, then put a building on top of it otherwise it had reduced health. Glad they got rid of that for the C&Cs.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No, what stopped sandworm attacks was the rocks you built the concrete over.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I'm gonna guess EMPing an incoming swarm of Harpies(/Orcas in multiplayer) results in lots of explosions? Or does it only affect ground stuff?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Aww, that's disappointing :(

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They can't crash if they're already on land.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just a bit of trivia, but did you know that in Japan Vega is known as Balrog?

:v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Huh, short and sweet. Guessing you'll be checking the map editor for flags that give you control of some flying units?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I... wouldn't know either? I just figured you'll look for it since it's in the end cutscene.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Huh so the Disruptor is an Atreides Sonic Tank with the Harkonnen Devastator's death-splosion?

It's interesting how they're taking stuff they made for the Dunes, but adapting them to the C&C-verse.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Okay so here's why I didn't play this game long - I'm pretty sure (seeing as there's no way I'd have gotten this far in any campaign since I'm bad at RTS) I almost immediately started a skirmish game to check out the various units you can get in the game.

The only one I remembered clearly was the Mammoth Mk. 2, because I was so disappointed by it. It's amazing that for a unit that's basically guns on a square with treads how iconic the Mammoth Tank is, and I was really bummed that it was replaced by this not-AT-AT.

So yeah, as I said, the reason I stopped playing was very petty.

But hey, the Carryall! Another Dune 2 call-back. It pretty much acted similarly there, though IIRC in Dune 2 depending on what version you had you weren't able to directly control Carryalls at all, or later versions allowed you to control Carryalls but couldn't directly control Ornithopters. I don't remember clearly besides air units in Dune 2 being... weird.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Problem there is that it doesn't really look all that big/imposing compared to the rest of the arsenal for a super unit you can only field one of at a time. I mean I get it, if it was too big you'd need multiple carry-alls to move it around without looking comical, but it just lacks that visual "oomph" for me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just for the sake of my curiosity, could you have just placed a bunch of artillery around the final island and have them blow it all to pieces?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't feel like the artillery would've been able to hit the middle of the island, but I can't say I've tested it out.

I suppose you'll have plenty of time to experiment on their range during the NOD campaign. :v:

(though now I'm worried they'll keep it locked until near endgame)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I agree that these cutscenes didn't really do much for me. I don't necessarily think I prefer the fixed camera scenes, but keeping the player as some faceless commander would have been better IMO.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A personal thing, but while this intro is infinitely better than GDI's (you can tell who the devs cared about), I wish CABAL's voice wasn't the kind that sticks in my throat just listening to it. Luckily I don't need to hear it as much as a NOD commander.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hassan "leads"

Slavik is cool but rude

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also they seem to be annoying to deal with.

e: Tick Snipe

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

GDI: Please don't pay attention to us while we committ warcrimes.

NOD: You will pay attention to us while we commit warcrimes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So wait is this an "argument" about which side does the war crimes*? I thought it was a 'GDI does it like this, NOD does it like this' thing

*it's both, duh

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You could just not talk about future games at all, then you'd never accidentally spoil anything.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fish Noise posted:

it basically just amounted to a whole hell of a lot of digging rather than any real terraforming, but Metal Fatigue's underground layer

I didn't like the underground layer because you couldn't bring your robots in there and they're the main draw of the game for me. But if you could say dig under the enemy base then destroy it by getting rid of the supports I'd have thought differently. Maybe you could though, didn't look too deeply beyond the robots and giant cannons

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Sadly, no. The layers don't interact that much.

Also imagine taking over the island over the enemy's base and dropping it on'em. Instead they had big cannons that could shoot at higher layers or lower ones depending on which it was. Also maybe if you dropped bombs over nothing in the top layer it'd drop to the middle layer?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I'm gonna assume a hypothetical sequel would follow a war between rival visceroid factions? :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SoggyBobcat posted:

GDI really needs to sack that war crime-loving commander of theirs.

Maybe picking someone with a room full of Kane posters wasn't the best of ideas in retrospect. But then again Solomon did work with that one NOD group.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you make your base a work of art, perhaps the enemy will feel bad about destroying it.

(they still will though)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So chances of CABAL feigning being successfully hacked by GDI?

I'm guessing somewhere between 100%-200%

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Huh. I mean as you saw I guessed it immediately, but I didn't think the reveal would be so quick.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad that random NOD base has nothing to do with anything. Suddenly I'm getting an idea, imagine if during the NOD campaign you had a mission on this exact map using that base? Maybe trying to steal the Tacitus during the chaos or something. Of course it wouldn't explain why they were allowed to build that base before CABAL showed his true colors. Maybe if the NOD base also started out cloaked.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Various posted:

GDI are the baddies

I'd be lying if I said I'm getting tired of this shtick, but only because I've been tired of it for ages.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's my problem -

1. it's a faux-enlightened stance where someone realized 'hey, maybe group usually seen as the good guys aren't!' but is still stuck in the black/white dichotomy of 'if GDI are bad NOD must be good'

and the more annoying part

2. constantly twisting other people's words to refer to GDI when it's clearly not what was meant

it's not fun, it's the same shtick hammered repeatedly without end.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's one single lame joke repeated ad nauseam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he really grew on me, cool seeing him become his own thing (though who knows, Kane might be behind his newfound independence as well).