Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I knew I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i've never actually played a Tomb Raider or an Uncharted, so a Star Wars clone of that might actually be novel for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This game looks.... Good? I'm going to buy it. I can't believe I'm going to buy a star wars game.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I haven't been hyped for the game but I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a surprise hit like Shadow of Mordor was.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

This game looks.... Good? I'm going to buy it. I can't believe I'm going to buy a star wars game.

Do the Origin Access Premier 1 month on PC, so you only have to pay $15 to play it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I said come in! posted:

Do the Origin Access Premier 1 month on PC, so you only have to pay $15 to play it.

I'll probably just buy it on PS4 and play it on my tv. I'll be playing death stranding so there will at least be a couple of weeks worth of impressions before I buy star war. It seems good at this point though and I'm happy to pay $60 for it or wait for a sale if there are problems.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought the lead-guy in this game was that other actor who pissed on a tree in Midsommar.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

haldolium posted:

There is no going back from having seen Lightsaber dismemberment in Jedi Knight.

It just painfully WRONG for every sense of physical perception to have just ragdolls.

Most of the people in the films that get hit by lightsabers don't get visibly dismembered so this is a strange hill to die on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah people have sparks fly off them, crumple and get knocked over, it's only when it's a special moment that they lose an arm or whatever which seems the same in the game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

It just occurred to me that this is the first single-player story-driven Star Wars game in almost a decade, and the last one (Force Unleashed II) was literally unfinished when it came out.

God, I hope it's good. The Respawn team has pretty much a perfect record though (Modern Warfare I and II and both Titanfalls) so I'm quite optimistic for this one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

It just occurred to me that this is the first single-player story-driven Star Wars game in almost a decade, and the last one (Force Unleashed II) was literally unfinished when it came out.

God, I hope it's good. The Respawn team has pretty much a perfect record though (Modern Warfare I and II and both Titanfalls) so I'm quite optimistic for this one.

Yeah the first footage was really underwhelming and I'd written this off, but the stuff that came out last week looks much more interesting. Less poor man's dark souls, more Tomb Raider meets Uncharted.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
It's sounding like it's actually going to be a good Star Wars game - https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/bes...iaV2s9bverQ_n2k

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Well it doesn’t get much more glowing than that! I am still highly dubious. I find it almost impossible to believe that EA is capable of publishing a game that isn’t slimy in at least one big way. The only reason I’m considering buying it at all is because they’re putting it on Steam. I eagerly await reports of exactly how the Origin/EA account integration works. I have managed to go this long without having either of those things, but if they can make it transparent I might hold my nose and jump onboard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Everything I've seen of the combat/exploration gameplay (I can take or leave the wall running stuff) and all the feedback from people that have had a go at the game makes me confident that I'll buy this and enjoy it since I can't resist an above average AAA single player game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It would be pretty weird if Respawn were permitted to use the Star Wars IP and then churned out a bad game

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anyone heard how it plays with mouse & keyboard?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

My biggest question:
Will there be alternate outfits and skins a la Arkham Knight? I wanna be decked out in Jedi Robes or look like a Sith or give it a go as Obi-Wan and poo poo. That was one of the fun parts of Jedi Outcast, the modding community really went ham on that one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

McCloud posted:

My biggest question:
Will there be alternate outfits and skins a la Arkham Knight? I wanna be decked out in Jedi Robes or look like a Sith or give it a go as Obi-Wan and poo poo. That was one of the fun parts of Jedi Outcast, the modding community really went ham on that one.

You can collect outfits and lightsaber bits in the game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JBP posted:

You can collect outfits and lightsaber bits in the game.

Yeah, I'm hoping there'll be a lot of those, because to me the protagonist just looks like the dumbest gently caress. To crib from some guy on twitter, his face just looks like his inner monologue is just the sound of a lightsabre humming. :downs:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Friendly Fire posted:

Most of the people in the films that get hit by lightsabers don't get visibly dismembered so this is a strange hill to die on.

Disguised with cuts quite a lot. Also I think someone lost a hand once.

Doesn't matter though, because JK was better as the movies in that regard. As I said, its difficult getting back in a *game* since the action is different to a film.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 6, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

haldolium posted:

When you finish off bosses cinematically they get sliced up like in the movies (like the classic take off their hand and impale them or whatever). It's just not going to let you dismember the mooks for twenty hours.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

JBP posted:

When you finish off bosses cinematically they get sliced up like in the movies (like the classic take off their hand and impale them or whatever). It's just not going to let you dismember the mooks for twenty hours.

I hope it will still be enjoyable but I found early videos lacking impact on the fighting sequences.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

haldolium posted:

I hope it will still be enjoyable but I found early videos lacking impact on the fighting sequences.

I thought the more recent videos were pretty heartening on that front, but they've got a bad gamer at the wheel for some reason. It detracts from what I imagine will be graceful duelling since I am a video game expert.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Right now I feel like it will be somewhere between decent and bland, with not much chance of it being incredibly groundbreaking or a total disaster.

Its Respawn though, their track record tends towards fun.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

haldolium posted:

Except it's not. The only time anything is severed is to make a dramatic point and it only usually happens with named characters. (Battle droids notwithstanding)

haldolium posted:

Doesn't matter though, because JK was better as the movies in that regard.
Your joking right? The films would have had a totally different feel if limbs went flying everywhere every time a lightsaber was used. They are westerns with space wizards in them, not Tarantino gore fests.

The game was objectively mediocre in every way and it's only your nostalgia that makes you think otherwise.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Friendly Fire posted:

Except it's not. The only time anything is severed is to make a dramatic point and it only usually happens with named characters. (Battle droids notwithstanding)

Your joking right? The films would have had a totally different feel if limbs went flying everywhere every time a lightsaber was used. They are westerns with space wizards in them, not Tarantino gore fests.

The game was objectively mediocre in every way and it's only your nostalgia that makes you think otherwise.

JK was great for its time.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping there'll be a lot of those, because to me the protagonist just looks like the dumbest gently caress. To crib from some guy on twitter, his face just looks like his inner monologue is just the sound of a lightsabre humming. :downs:

It’s worse than that. His anger stems from the stormtroopers totally not helping him charge his crystal. You know, _that one_

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yoni Fallen Order

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

JK was great for its time.

Nobody even remembers it except when talking about Star wars games. It wasn't a Doom or Quake or Half Life or, you know, a great game.

I'll admit, it was good compared to other star wars games.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Who the gently caress doesn't remember Jedi Knight?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PunkBoy posted:

Who the gently caress doesn't remember Jedi Knight?

ok boomer

:negative:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im extremely ok with any western company taking design tips from From Software and I hope they do it well

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jedi Knight 2 is nice to revisit though because it breaks almost every single rule of AAA handholding. Want to know where to go? Figure it out yourself rear end in a top hat,a nd dont die to the instant death pit or the instant death lasers or the instant death explosions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jedi Academy owned because you could just gently caress around lightsaber fighting. The multiplayer was super fun.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty sure it's more like they took design tips from God of War than Dark Souls at this point, we'll see though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

Jedi Academy owned because you could just gently caress around lightsaber fighting. The multiplayer was super fun.

I am looking forward to the Switch version, it'll have the multiplayer with bots.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
JK2 with the dismemberment cheat and maxed force powers on was really fuckin fun, I spent hours chopping up stormtroopers in bullet-time and running on walls and stuff.

Also wtf didn't lightsabers in the movies always cut through stuff? like, droids, Sith, giant steel doors, they cut fuckin everything :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

JK2 with the dismemberment cheat and maxed force powers on was really fuckin fun, I spent hours chopping up stormtroopers in bullet-time and running on walls and stuff.

Also wtf didn't lightsabers in the movies always cut through stuff? like, droids, Sith, giant steel doors, they cut fuckin everything :shrug:

There are things that resist the blade and it seems to shorten in length or some poo poo. It's not an all penetrator... And I know a thing or two about all penetrators.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Gameplay trailer looked really bad. It's a PG rated light-saber game. Ok. So if they knew they couldn't portray the lightsabers correctly, they should have went all in on force powers and made them really devastating and central to the gameplay . This is 2019, modern hardware can do really cool effects and physical simulations in the game world. All the force stuff so far looked like pretty boring rehashed stuff from previous games. Doing some physical puzzles once in a while is not enough. Hopefully things not shown are a lot better and they have some larger battles in the game too, although the last gen console limitation might mean it's always waves of 3-4 opponents vs you and that's it. Would have been cool to see some larger engagements with lots of NPCs on your side as well.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rad Russian posted:

Gameplay trailer looked really bad. It's a PG rated light-saber game. Ok. So if they knew they couldn't portray the lightsabers correctly, they should have went all in on force powers and made them really devastating and central to the gameplay . This is 2019, modern hardware can do really cool effects and physical simulations in the game world. All the force stuff so far looked like pretty boring rehashed stuff from previous games. Doing some physical puzzles once in a while is not enough. Hopefully things not shown are a lot better and they have some larger battles in the game too, although the last gen console limitation might mean it's always waves of 3-4 opponents vs you and that's it. Would have been cool to see some larger engagements with lots of NPCs on your side as well.

Source your quotes please.