Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Googling suggested that and I did that at the same time as vsync. It's now doing 55-100fps and no longer freezing for a few seconds here and there. Definitely playable vs. before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm well aware how old it is but

Hang onto it, in a few more years you can get it antique plates and show it off in parades

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Not while that inanimate carbon rod is hogging all the glory

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Suburban Dad posted:

Yep. It's an older Samsung 850 Evo. It does it during gameplay randomly and cut scenes and freezes for 1-2 seconds sometimes while the audio continues. It's incredibly jarring.

Edit: yeah looks like 1-4 cores are all hitting 100% when it happens. Anything that can really be done short of upgrading? I'm well aware how old it is but it holds up well in everything else I've played so I'm a bit surprised at how bad it runs.

1440p/144hz (but lol in this game even on "medium" settings which is the lowest :v:)
16gb ram
i5 2500k
1tb 850 evo ssd

Yeah, disabling as many overlays as possible (xbox game bar, nvidia, steam, etc) may help free up CPU cycles for the game.

You can probably crank some of the settings up higher, since they should impact the GPU more than the CPU and it may help to slow the GPU down to a level closer to what the CPU can keep up with. Or set the in-game FPS limit lower, I think it has options for 30/60/90/120/144, perhaps try a lower one to reduce the CPU throttle.

You're definitely going to want to think about putting that 2500k out to pasture pretty soon though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dogen posted:

Not while that inanimate carbon rod is hogging all the glory

The e-peens in this thread? :)

Yeah upgrading wouldn't cost more than about 500 bucks since the PSU, case and gpu aren't too old but it's kinda funny at this point seeing how long it will go.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwLJ7D6JZYQ

That's running on a laptop with a GTX 1050 with a mix of epic and medium settings
Worst I get is stuttering during loading screens and the occasional audio desync/glitch, which only really rears its head when I'm trying to record, amusingly enough

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Looking forward to playing this on Xbox Series X, it apparently runs at a more or less locked 60FPS. Some reviewers are saying the lower latency controls make a nice difference too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Managed to get Taron done on Grand Master with do damage

Only slightly disappointed there's no "Face all saber bosses at the same time" medication challenge, but you can recreate it in the grid if you're feeling particularly sadistic

You can also photo mode during saber locks, which is nice

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Managed to get Taron done on Grand Master with do damage

Only slightly disappointed there's no "Face all saber bosses at the same time" medication challenge, but you can recreate it in the grid if you're feeling particularly sadistic

You can also photo mode during saber locks, which is nice

I feel like that would be a literally impossible challenge. I mean maybe someone's done it but it seems like you'd get stunlocked super easy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like that would be a literally impossible challenge. I mean maybe someone's done it but it seems like you'd get stunlocked super easy.

I got through it by turning factions off, which usually ends with Malicos and Inquisitor Kestis at one another's throats by the end and it's usually best to focus on Inqui-Cal because he has a frankly absurd health pool compared to everything else - which fair enough, given the average player's skill level by the end of the game

Otherwise this is usually how things go

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

I got through it by turning factions off, which usually ends with Malicos and Inquisitor Kestis at one another's throats by the end and it's usually best to focus on Inqui-Cal because he has a frankly absurd health pool compared to everything else - which fair enough, given the average player's skill level by the end of the game

Otherwise this is usually how things go

Is there still no way to replay the last level unless you replay the entire game?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there still no way to replay the last level unless you replay the entire game?

It's one and done

Closest you can get is recreating the dojo encounters and final duel in Meditation Training - although the Second sister doesn't summon a probe droid to drag the fight out

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have had this in my steam library for a while but finally got around to playing it and I can’t go more than 30 minutes without a crash to the desktop. My machine’s windows install is about 2 months old, I have the latest drivers, 9900k/2080. I will get a stutter and then about a second later CTD.

I get more crashes to desktop with EA published games than any other games. BF V, and Battlefront 2 both crashed on me a lot as well back when I was playing those.

I really like the game but having to re-play sections because it crashed really sucks. I have disabled the steam and origin in-game overlays but that didn’t do anything to help. Anyone else have stability issues with this game? My video card fans also go nuts with this game. Haven’t actually checked temps or anything since I’m avoiding overlays.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 28, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

GutBomb posted:

I have had this in my steam library for a while but finally got around to playing it and I can’t go more than 30 minutes without a crash to the desktop. My machine’s windows install is about 2 months old, I have the latest drivers, 9900k/2080. I will get a stutter and then about a second later CTD.

I get more crashes to desktop with EA published games than any other games. BF V, and Battlefront 2 both crashed on me a lot as well back when I was playing those.

I really like the game but having to re-play sections because it crashed really sucks. I have disabled the steam and origin in-game overlays but that didn’t do it. Anyone else have stability issues with this game?

9900k and a 1080, no issues. Game would run for hours without any stuttering (though there are a few repeatable bugs/glitches). I'd say verify the cache, but you probably just downloaded it? Try down clocking or increasing the voltage for your 2080 perhaps? This game is surprisingly GPU intensive and might just be hitting your GPU in a way that brings out the instability.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Indiana_Krom posted:

9900k and a 1080, no issues. Game would run for hours without any stuttering (though there are a few repeatable bugs/glitches). I'd say verify the cache, but you probably just downloaded it? Try down clocking or increasing the voltage for your 2080 perhaps? This game is surprisingly GPU intensive and might just be hitting your GPU in a way that brings out the instability.

I forgot that I had a video card overclock applied with precision x1. I took it back to default and got my stability in this game. It’s such a mild overclock (+125mhz) since these cards are basically boosted to the max as it is that I had forgotten about it until you mentioned voltage.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

With a 5800x and 3080 this game still gives me frame drops at 1440p with everything cranked. Probably only to 60-70 occasionally but it is way more hardware intense than I thought it would be.

See my previous posts about trying to run on old rear end hardware, lol.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m seeing a pretty consistent 120-130 FPS with everything maxed out at 2560x1080 ultrawide. I’m really impressed with how it looks and now how it runs. Unfortunately when searching for info on my stability problems I found several posts from people with AMD CPUs having a lower than expected frame rate with no real solution but they were all using 3600s. The common factors with most of the performance issues were 1440p and 70fps. I saw even using resolution scaling to increase to 4K via supersampling the framerate still hovered around 70 as long as the output resolution was still 1440p.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 28, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm content just to have the game in a playable state, FPS be damned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAz4TA5wL1k

As long as I can enjoy the combat rhythm, I'm set
Plus, you can get some nice sync if you pick your music right

The combo at 1:11 always gets a snicker out of me

I've even managed to sync the music to the opponent's movements once, to my chagrin

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Has there been any sort of DLC or extra content for this game since launch? I got the game at release, finished it, and haven’t touched it since.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Has there been any sort of DLC or extra content for this game since launch? I got the game at release, finished it, and haven’t touched it since.

They added a NG+ mode (just for cosmetics) and a battle arena plus the ability to use Inquisitor suit and a red lightsaber. I think they've said they are not doing DLC for it (and in fact "no DLC" was one of the selling points of the game.) A sequel is way more likely than anything more for it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Disney has enforced a pretty heavy "No Paid Extra Anything" on EA after the Battlefront is Gambling lawsuits. Squadrons has had the same treatment.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'm really surprised they haven't announced a sequel by now. It sold above expectations and it's a fun game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Only came out last November, and this is a console release year which makes dev cycles fucky. To say nothing of COVID.

I could see them doing an announcement during the summer press conference blitz, but I also wouldn't be shocked if we don't hear anything about a sequel till 2022.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I get the feeling we'll hear about Titanfall 3 before we hear about a sequel to this.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm cool with that, I want a TF3 real bad.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Remember how this game was announced at E3 by one of the presenters just walking into the audience and sitting down with one of the devs to interview them about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti--jdFz4R4

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I thought they already announced a sequel? Like, not a "here's the title and release date", but a "yes a sequel has been greenlit"

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Only came out last November, and this is a console release year which makes dev cycles fucky. To say nothing of COVID.

I could see them doing an announcement during the summer press conference blitz, but I also wouldn't be shocked if we don't hear anything about a sequel till 2022.

Sometimes release dates are set for sequels before the first one is out the door. Would be great if they build a sequel with Unreal Engine 5 and used all the next-gen capabilities in the new systems - SSDs, ray tracing, excellent CPUs for the first time on consoles for 7 years etc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been playing this game in tandem with my spouse. I enjoyed it so much I started a second game on my own account.

Today I spent hours wandering around in circles on Zeffo and now I'm exhausted and bored with it. I don't even mind getting good at the Souls combat, I just have a terrible sense of direction and I can't read the map. Coming to this game from Witcher 3 is rough.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

jivjov posted:

I thought they already announced a sequel? Like, not a "here's the title and release date", but a "yes a sequel has been greenlit"

In my mind this is correct. I know they said like 2 years ago that Fallen Order was only the first game in a planned series of Star Wars: Jedi games.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been playing this game in tandem with my spouse. I enjoyed it so much I started a second game on my own account.

Today I spent hours wandering around in circles on Zeffo and now I'm exhausted and bored with it. I don't even mind getting good at the Souls combat, I just have a terrible sense of direction and I can't read the map. Coming to this game from Witcher 3 is rough.

I had this same feeling on Zeffo the first time I played. The rest of the planets aren't nearly as bad and Zeffo is fine once you have more abilities and shortcuts unlocked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
By the by, I've never played a Souls game and am Bad At Games. Is the main difference between this type of game and other games just that there's no such thing as invincibility frames? I really only have Witcher 3 (and Skyrim, LOL) as a reference for modern melee games. I'm used to dodging everything because there's little reason to parry instead of dodging, and being immune to harm when I'm rolling on the ground.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, they put a lot of focus on parrying in this game, but dodging is in a lot of ways more effective at getting hits in. Parrying correctly can quickly break an enemies guard, but a well timed dodge can let you bypass their guard entirely. And later in the game you get a skill that regenerates force power on a well timed dodge that can let you spam abilities and attacks that use the force way more often.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It feels a little harder to tell what you should/can dodge vs parry sometimes in this game, compared to Dark Souls/Sekiro. Like it doesn't seem like you should be able to dodge through the Jotaz swipes, for example.

Also there seems to be a small cooldowns on block/parry such that partying full combos is actually a bad idea against fast hitting enemies like the Purge Troopers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I too am bad at games so I just put it on an easy difficulty and had no problem mashing buttons, mostly.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Every time I think I'm bad at the game, I just watch the combat developer steamroll enemies on Grand Master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6qPDErIxL8

It's very soothing - love the overhead swing followed by saber throw for extra damage combo too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I really need to replay this in a post-Ghost of Tsushima world where the intricacies of melee combat games are suddenly more understandable to me, and I can play at least semi-competently (i.e. not immediately turning every game to baby mode)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

I really need to replay this in a post-Ghost of Tsushima world where the intricacies of melee combat games are suddenly more understandable to me, and I can play at least semi-competently (i.e. not immediately turning every game to baby mode)

Takes nothing more than practice

Smash your head against that brick wall and you'll get through it eventually

What throws me off when switching difficulties is the timing for everything changes, so an enemy I can no-damage on Grand Master abruptly kicks my rear end on Jedi Knight

You have to pick a difficulty and stay with it - the meditation arena helps immensely in that regard, even if the Second and Ninth Sisters fight differently than their story counterparts - no saber locks, no probe droid, and Nine doesn't Pull you in

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't mind taking the time to learn the combat, because the reward is a fight that actually feels like a lightsaber duel, which is awesome

I was surprised to see all the kicks in that video. I have the ability and I haven't gotten any use out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Takes nothing more than practice

Smash your head against that brick wall and you'll get through it eventually

Yeah, I played through a couple times getting somewhat better at combat, but GoT was the first one I ever played where everything just clicked and the system just felt intuitive. Everything I've played since then I've felt so much more in tune with the mechanics, rather than just getting by. I want to go back and feel that with Fallen Order.