Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
The brain is a mysterious organ. Why does it retain some memories but not others? It's obvious in some cases: memories born of instinct, or memories linked to emotional events.

But then there are memories that are so trivial and seemingly irrelevant in their nature that it appears pointless for the brain to lock them in permanently.

When I was little my mom walked me to pre-school. One day I saw a dead rat by the curb. It did not scare me, I really thought nothing of it, I had seen dead animals before. But I remember the image of the dead rat as vividly today as when I was 4 years old.

When I was 8 or 9, I was playing Star Wars with my older brother. He had the TIE fighter and I had the X Wing. After a while I insisted that I had shot him down, and he agreed. Then after a pause, he went on a long monologue describing the death of the tie fighter pilot. The pilot was panicking as smoke filled his cockpit and he struggled to control his craft, shouting for help over his radio, groaning with pain from his injuries. He thought about how he'd never see his friends or family again, then screamed as his ship spiraled into the ground in a massive explosion.

My brother and I were quiet for a long moment, then I said that I didn't want to play anymore. I remember this vividly. Why?

What seemingly trivial memories are locked in your brain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
in preschool i found a sesame seed in my butt and decided babies come from butt-seeds

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

every single dad gay post

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Zippy the Bummer posted:

The brain is a mysterious organ. Why does it retain some memories but not others? It's obvious in some cases: memories born of instinct, or memories linked to emotional events.

But then there are memories that are so trivial and seemingly irrelevant in their nature that it appears pointless for the brain to lock them in permanently.

When I was little my mom walked me to pre-school. One day I saw a dead rat by the curb. It did not scare me, I really thought nothing of it, I had seen dead animals before. But I remember the image of the dead rat as vividly today as when I was 4 years old.

When I was 8 or 9, I was playing Star Wars with my older brother. He had the TIE fighter and I had the X Wing. After a while I insisted that I had shot him down, and he agreed. Then after a pause, he went on a long monologue describing the death of the tie fighter pilot. The pilot was panicking as smoke filled his cockpit and he struggled to control his craft, shouting for help over his radio, groaning with pain from his injuries. He thought about how he'd never see his friends or family again, then screamed as his ship spiraled into the ground in a massive explosion.

My brother and I were quiet for a long moment, then I said that I didn't want to play anymore. I remember this vividly. Why?

What seemingly trivial memories are locked in your brain?

I assume your brother is now either a performance artist/entertainer of some sort, or a psychopath

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Childhood sex and mortality stuff is cheating

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I remember when I was 5 years old and the teachers told us to make self portraits with crayons and glue and buttons and stuff. I drew myself as a generic person, but needed to make sure it looked like me so I looked at myself in the mirror there was nothing really that interesting, but I noticed the kind of |_| shape sewn into my jeans where my flies were so I took dried peas and glued them in the |_| shape of the outline of my flies.

I remember showing the picture to the the teacher and she started crying, and then she showed it to other teachers and they all started crying and I was convinced that I must be the worst artist they've ever seen.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RobattoJesus posted:

I remember when I was 5 years old and the teachers told us to make self portraits with crayons and glue and buttons and stuff. I drew myself as a generic person, but needed to make sure it looked like me so I looked at myself in the mirror there was nothing really that interesting, but I noticed the kind of |_| shape sewn into my jeans where my flies were so I took dried peas and glued them in the |_| shape of the outline of my flies.

I remember showing the picture to the the teacher and she started crying, and then she showed it to other teachers and they all started crying and I was convinced that I must be the worst artist they've ever seen.

Crying 'bout those peas

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They thought that you still pea yourself

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
When I was maybe 6 years old I watched a documentary about eskimos. A mother was singing an Inuit song to her baby. I can still remember and hum that song. I have no idea why.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

RobattoJesus posted:

.. I remember showing the picture to the the teacher and she started crying, and then she showed it to other teachers and they all started crying and I was convinced that I must be the worst artist they've ever seen.

Were they crying because you told them you thought your fly was your only interesting feature?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Commercial jingles for mom-and-pop businesses in the town where I grew up -- a random assortment, brought back to memory at random, at least one of which I only remember half of and that's maddening

Box Office Video, don't remember this line
Box Office Video, something for everyone
Box Office Video: your ticket to family entertainment!

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 16, 2019

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

BigBadSteve posted:

Were they crying because you told them you thought your fly was your only interesting feature?

They were crying because he was right.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

BigBadSteve posted:

They were sad because I had a dick made of peas.

I just remembered another random memory when I tried being cool when I was 13 and told some 18 year olds that my name was "hob-nob" like the biscuit but then they thought I'd said cob-nob (a cob was a bread roll where I'm from), and that ended up morphing into them calling me baguette-dick for the rest of the day.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

RobattoJesus posted:

They were sad because I had a dick made of peas.

I just remembered another random memory when I tried being cool when I was 13 and told some 18 year olds that my name was "hob-nob" like the biscuit but then they thought I'd said cob-nob (a cob was a bread roll where I'm from), and that ended up morphing into them calling me baguette-dick for the rest of the day.

You have a lot of inexplicably retained memories about your loving terrible rear end dick and the people who made fun of you constantly for it.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Big Beef City posted:

You have a lot of inexplicably retained memories about your loving terrible rear end dick and the people who made fun of you constantly for it.

I remember this other time at school where the teacher told everyone to get into their pants and socks and sit on the carpet for P.E., but I heard "take off your pants and socks and sit on the carpet" so I was the only one sitting naked with my terrible rear end dick flopping all over the place and then everyone made fun of me constantly for it.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
when I was a kid we only had touch-tone phones, landlines, only my parents had cell phones. I still remember my best friend's phone number from the time, which makes sense since I dialed it about a billion times, but oddly I still remember the sequence of sounds the phone made when I pressed the buttons. I can hum it at will

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Write a letter to Fat Cat

PO Box 175
Tuart Hill W.A. 6060.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Up up down down left right left right B A B A Select Start

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
In first grade on St. Patrick's day a kid came to class without any green on. The whole class (only about 9 of us) cornered him and started pinching him relentlessly. We left him curled up in the fetal position on the floor crying. St. Patrick's day was serious business.

In 4th grade we got a new music teacher and she was insane. We did two music programs a year. The Christmas program was fine, but she made the spring program about nuclear war. Our main song was called 'Fireball!' and it went like so -

Fireball! Burning in the skyyyyy (cover eyes)
Fireball! Burning you and I.

Plus we had terrible little dance moves. Those are the only lines I remember, but even us dumb little kids knew this was ridiculous, so we decided to change the lyrics of all of the songs and the moves. We did the dress rehearsal during the day of the night we were supposed to perform the main show. Grandparents and people from care homes all came to the dress rehearsal. It was then that did our new improvisation of

Fire BALLS! Burning in MY PAAAANTS (grab crotch)
Fire BALLS! Burns like biting AAAAANTS

We got half way through the first song before the principal shut it down. He didn't know what the program was about and cancelled the evening program, then fired that music teacher.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

i first experienced death anxiety at age ten when i was playing spiderman 2 on xbox and nothing prompted it but i’ll never forget swinging through the city of new york when i suddenly realized that i’ll die someday

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
The entirety of Taco’s puttin on the ritz

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My oldest memory, possibly my first ever memory, was in daycare at like 3 or 4 years old. The daycare was divided in half, with one half carpeted and one half linoleum. I was near the divide on the carpeted half, and I turned around just in time to see a girl vomit and the vomit splatter all across the floor in a huge puddle. And I just had this feeling that I was going to always remember this. Like my brain had finally clicked on the long-term memory and that was the first thing it made a note of storing.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

down n out posted:

You reminded me of when 'Electric Avenue' came out on the radio. During the summer growing up, if we were indoors we listened to the radio because there wasn't poo poo on the 5 TV stations we had.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My best friend and I were already out of high school and had a full year of lovely jobs and lots of spare time to play Silent Hill on PS1 for the very first time in the middle of night. We were barely in the alley in the beginning of the game where you’re chasing after Cheryl when the sirens went off and the alley started changing into the “other” Silent Hill. We had no idea what the gently caress was going on, but we came upon the dismembered corpse hanging on the barbed wire fence at the end of the alley and were grossed out.

Then we turned around, the demon children laughed and lunged at us out of nowhere, and we both screamed like little sissy baby bitches.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

klosterdev posted:

in preschool i found a sesame seed in my butt and decided babies come from butt-seeds

something something jared from subway eat fresh

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

My earliest memory is during Halloween, before I could walk or speak properly. Just little baby me sitting in a stroller in one of my mom's friend's houses, dressed in a full body pumpkin outfit and staring at the weird rear end ceiling light.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I have these weird memories that hit me of embarrassing situations from my life and I feel embarrassed all over again, really intensely. Most of them are childhood stuff. They get really vivid and then they pass. Usually it helps if I say, "shut the gently caress up" a few times.

I don't remember any of them now, but I'll be going about my day and something will trigger one and then it passes.

I'm trying to think of one now and I can't remember anything. But if something reminds me of one, it'll be all I can think about for a few minutes.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Insignificant permanent memories of Ralph Hurley, age 3

Crawling around in our carpeted :barf: 70s bathroom, pulling the plastic cap off one of the bolts that holds the toilet to the floor. It was filled with a gooey brown substance that I assumed was poo. I can remember the mildew smell.

Thinking the lightbulb at the top of the basement steps was whispering to me took a look a took a look

Staring at a weird minimalist wall clock with no numbers that was in my room for some reason and wondering how you were supposed to know what time it was.

A dream I had where a glowing eyeless caterpillar with one pointy tooth in the center of its mouth was sitting on my night light laughing evilly.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I was a huge fat dork in elementary school and my parents made me bring a thermos of tea for lunch instead of soda because the doctor said to feed me less sugar. I remember waking one day in early fall remembering a very vivid dream where I was running across the school yard and the thermos fell out of my backpack and landed on the play structure. There was loud ping and a dent left in the top of it. That morning when I went to school the thermos fell out of my bag just like in the dream, the sound happened and everything. :ghost:

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
BOBBYBIRD

That was the cheat code to unlock everything in the South Park FPS game for Nintendo 64. I have no idea what it means or what it has to do with South Park, but like hell was I playing that dogshit game without cheats on

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Are you custom made custom played or just custom fitted?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ralph Hurley posted:

A dream I had where a glowing eyeless caterpillar with one pointy tooth in the center of its mouth was sitting on my night light laughing evilly.

Hello old friend.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
PJN-926 was the license number of the car my parents bought in 1980.

down n out posted:

This, but Ice Ice Baby.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

Hello old friend.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I remember my dad ordering a coffee at KFC and then complaining to the staff about how bad his coffee was. I'm not sure when KFC ever served coffee but im sure this happened.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of my earliest memories comes from when I was a dumb kid at a pizza/arcade place with my family and I wanted to act like an adult and pay for it, so they gave me a 20-spot and sent me to the register by myself. I thought I was being slick and cool and emulated something I saw on TV and said "keep the change" with a smirk, and my dad ran over going UHHH NO WAIT UHH

I was a pretty dumb child.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
When I was 5 I went to the sandbox in the playground behind my apartment complex. There was a blonde kid there digging a hole the size of his arm. I asked him why he was digging the hole.

He said "Tonight, I'm gonna sneak out and pee in it."

And I remember thinking this was the coolest kid on the planet.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The intro themes to Grange Hill, Educating Marmalade, Metal Mickey and Beachcombers

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I was in the kitchen making a sandwich yesterday and the Life With Louie theme song got stuck in my head for like 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
first time eatin rear end

actually, thats totally explicable, since it owns.