Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

There were these books of “sniglets” if anyone even remembers that. Dumb made up definitions of words for ordinary dumb things that don’t have a word for it yet, with illustrations. Mildly popular in the 80s.

I remember one sniglet. Warbloid - noun. The little thing inside a tape player that eats the tapes. It was a drawing of a hand holding a tiny thing under a magnifying glass that looked like a tiny toothy monster head.

e: poo poo I found it thanks hoogle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
what an excellent entry. I have no recollection of such a thing as a sniglet. This is the exact kind of memory i was hoping for

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ralph Hurley posted:

There were these books of “sniglets” if anyone even remembers that. Dumb made up definitions of words for ordinary dumb things that don’t have a word for it yet, with illustrations. Mildly popular in the 80s.

I remember one sniglet. Warbloid - noun. The little thing inside a tape player that eats the tapes. It was a drawing of a hand holding a tiny thing under a magnifying glass that looked like a tiny toothy monster head.

e: poo poo I found it thanks hoogle

holy poo poo I had those sheets when I was a kid

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

18/00 Str gives +3 to hit and +6 to damage and fighters have the best THAC0

Victis fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 26, 2019

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I think sniglets started out as part of some long forgotten stand up comedian’s act where he coined that term and listed a bunch of words he came up with. He parlayed that into a book that someone got me for Christmas. I liked it so I got the second book the following Christmas. Or maybe a calendar. That’s all I know.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Rich Hall was on an HBO series called "Not Necessarily the News" in the 80s. It was on that program that he did a segment on Sniglets each week. It was one of the most popular segments. While I have forgotten most of them, a few have actually entered my regular vocabulary. My favorite, and most commonly used, sniglet is "bleemus", which is the layer that forms on the surface of liquids like tomato soup or hot chocolate. This is not to be confuses with "flen", which is the crusty goop that forms at the opening of catsup bottles and other, similar bottles of condiments.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zippy the Bummer posted:

my older sister, who was a teenager at the time, accidentally dropped her apple into the fountain at the Louvre. she was pissed off for the rest of the day because it was her only meal because she was experimenting with being vegetarian at the time. my brother and i laughed at her while we ate

imagine adhering to your voluntary dietary restrictions when you go to france

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Genesplicer posted:

Rich Hall was on an HBO series called "Not Necessarily the News" in the 80s. It was on that program that he did a segment on Sniglets each week. It was one of the most popular segments. While I have forgotten most of them, a few have actually entered my regular vocabulary. My favorite, and most commonly used, sniglet is "bleemus", which is the layer that forms on the surface of liquids like tomato soup or hot chocolate. This is not to be confuses with "flen", which is the crusty goop that forms at the opening of catsup bottles and other, similar bottles of condiments.

I have vague memories of that show, but slightly less vague memories of the paper-based sniglets.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Milo and POTUS posted:

imagine adhering to your voluntary dietary restrictions when you go to france

i am imagining it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Genesplicer posted:

The show even had an address you mail them in to.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s 1988, and a nighttime thunderstorm has just knocked out the power to the house. I get a flashlight and my trusty little GE pocket radio and turn it on because I wasn’t about to sit in the pitch black in silence.

The songs that played are as followed:

Don’t Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
Red Red Wine - UB40
Get Outta My Dreams, Get into My Car - Billy Ocean
Need You Tonight - INXS
Sign Your Name - Terence Trent D’Arby
Father Figure - George Michael

Some commercials started playing, and then the power came back on. I’ve still got that GE pocket radio somewhere.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

It’s 1988, and a nighttime thunderstorm has just knocked out the power to the house. I get a flashlight and my trusty little GE pocket radio and turn it on because I wasn’t about to sit in the pitch black in silence.

The songs that played are as followed:

Don’t Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
Red Red Wine - UB40
Get Outta My Dreams, Get into My Car - Billy Ocean
Need You Tonight - INXS
Sign Your Name - Terence Trent D’Arby
Father Figure - George Michael

Some commercials started playing, and then the power came back on. I’ve still got that GE pocket radio somewhere.

This is really cool; this is why I love this thread.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
in fourth or fifth grade my classmates and i were lining up outside the school to wait for the teachers to open the door, as we did every morning. As i was standing around i noticed a kid in my grade who was holding his hand over his forehead. i asked him if he had been hurt, and he started to quietly cry. As the doors opened he took his hand away, revealing a small patch of hair on his scalp that had been shaved away, presumably by accident. his hair was very short to begin with, so it would have grown back quickly, but i guess he was terrified that people would make fun of it. he was a friendly kid and everyone liked him, as I recall.

I don't remember his name and we weren't "friends" but i remember this. for some reason

edit: I also don't know how he intended to hide it for the entire week it would take to grow back. Just keep his hand on his head all the time? We boys were not allowed to wear hats in the school building

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 28, 2019

skateboardjesus
Oct 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
267-8433

748-1414

Dallas goons represent

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is really cool; this is why I love this thread.

Thanks. I totally remember that playlist to this day.

Another memory from that same year: My sister was watching The Box and really wanted to hear a couple of songs, so she got my mom's permission to pay for and request those videos/songs. The songs? "Peek-A-Boo" by Siouxsie & the Banshees, and "Dear God" by XTC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGH_16SICL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p554R-Jq43A

It was really cool seeing those songs in the queue before they aired.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I remember absolutely nailing as a young me singing Kiss from a rose by Seal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMD2TwRvuoU

I do not know why but I was just compelled to sing the gently caress out of it and having my mom's friends ride along to hear me do it. Nothing never really set off from it was basically little K.D discovering how karaoke can be fun

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Rich Hall is terrific and has enjoyed some success in Moldy Old England, if Top Gear is to be believed.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

When I was about 5 years old, I had this cassette I would listen to on my Fisher-Price cassette player that had a bunch of soft rock ballads from the early '80s. Since the cutoff date for the songs appeared to be around 1983, I would say this cassette probably came out the following year, and may have been an as-seen-on-TV thing. I can't remember the name of the so-called album, but I specifically remember most of the songs on it.

Baby, Come To Me - Patti Austin & James Ingram
Never Gonna Let You Go - Sergio Mendez
Just Once - James Ingram & Quincy Jones
If Ever You're In My Arms Again - Peabo Bryson
Just The Two Of Us - Bill Withers & Grover Washington Jr.
Up Where We Belong - Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes
Do That To Me One More Time - Captain & Tennille
Hearts - Marty Balin
Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
Into The Night - Benny Mardones
I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near) - Michael McDonald
Only The Lonely - The Motels

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

An old tagline for this one car dealer in my state still sticks with me despite A) not seeing a commercial for it in well over 10 years, and B) the place closing down about a year ago.

"IF YOU HAVE 99 DOLLARS, AND A JOB, VISIT LOMAN AUTO SALES TODAY!"

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Some time in the late 90s or early 2000s Pizza Hut had a promotion where you could pick a bunch of songs and order a free mix CD from some dotcom bubble website that I'm sure doesn't exist anymore. I didn't really know poo poo about music so my sister just picked a bunch of stuff that she liked. The ones I can remember are:

Karma Chameleon - Boy George
Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
There She Goes - The La's
I Do - Lisa Loeb

She let me pick the title for the disc label and I decided to call it "NO WAY OUT" because I thought that sounded badass lol

Mr. Bones fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 29, 2019

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
My earliest memory is of marveling at the color of the leaves on the trees in autumn when I was 3. I was in the car with my dad. He was listening to Master of Puppets, which is the first song I remember hearing in my life. I don't remember where we were going/coming from but I remember the colors and the sick riffs very distinctly

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mr. Bones posted:

Some time in the late 90s or early 2000s Pizza Hut had a promotion where you could pick a bunch of songs and order a free mix CD from some dotcom bubble website that I'm sure doesn't exist anymore. I didn't really know poo poo about music so my sister just picked a bunch of stuff that she liked. The ones I can remember are:

Karma Chameleon - Boy George
Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
There She Goes - The La's
I Do - Lisa Loeb

She let me pick the title for the disc label and I decided to call it "NO WAY OUT" because I thought that sounded badass lol

I also had one of these mixes. The only song I can remember off of it was that bizarre one-hit-wonder/novelty song from the '90s about being in love with David Duchovny, and I still remember about a verse and a half of that song, just enough to still get it stuck in my head because life is suffering.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
when i was 17 or 18 i was driving from Omaha to Kansas City, and my car broke down. my insurance company sent out a tow truck that arrived about an hour later. As i drove back to Omaha in the tow truck, about an hour drive, the driver had a pop station playing on the radio. I made some normal small-talk to pass the time. then a song by Pink came on, and the driver immediately started talking about how hot and sexy Pink was and shifted around in his seat in an odd manner. i just sort of said "yeah, she's hot" and neither of us spoke for the rest of the drive until he cheerfully said "thank you" when I paid the cash to cover the extended transport

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i have very few coherent memories from kindergarten/1st grade, but one particular one that ive thought of a lot recently is back in 1st grade thanksgiving season when the school is all dressed up with brown/orange hand turkeys and cornucopias, and the teacher asked the class to write down what we were grateful for. i couldn't write anything (and not for lack of not knowing or being write-shy) and just had a blank page in front of me, and my teacher came up later and was like 'what are you not grateful for anything? what about pizza? your parents? your house??" and i was just like "no.... not really..." and i genuinely meant it then. and now it explains a lot about my entire life lol

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

What’s at Deer Forest?
A whole day of fun and memories. Deer Forest. Off I-94 in Coloma, Michigan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw47n8vGyjA
FEED THE DEER

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ralph Hurley posted:

What’s at Deer Forest?
A whole day of fun and memories. Deer Forest. Off I-94 in Coloma, Michigan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw47n8vGyjA
FEED THE DEER

I gotta say, it takes some balls to charge people to feed deer. In Michigan.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The Newberry's department store was very old and very small. (It opened in the 1800s in a narrow downtown building.) It had three floors. Ladies' clothes were upstairs, and there were gardening and lawn supplies, pet supplies, and kids' toys in the basement. I was allowed to look at the toys by myself while Mom shopped, but they didn't carry anything good. The sidewalk outside was made of small bricks shaped like oyster crackers. The oyster cracker sidewalk was my favorite part of going to Newberry's.

When I was 3ish my family took a road trip from upstate NY to Washington DC. My only memory is of seeing the Statue of Liberty from where we were pulled off the highway to let my older sister throw up because she was carsick.

When I was 4 or 5 we visited family in Pennsylvania. Their shih tzu kept waking me up by walking on my sleeping bag, and I was scared of the Fightin' Irish mascot sign on my uncle's wall.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

nankeen posted:

my cousin and i are almost the same age. when we were preschool age and our family went to a restaurant, as soon as the adults stopped watching us we'd both grab the salt-and-pepper shakers and start sprinkling them on the tablecloth. we always sprinkled them densely into a blob shape and i remember it being important to get an equal proportion of salt and pepper, and we called it "making a hen", a name that i know i came up with but can't remember the reasoning of

Lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a distinct memory from kindergarten, and I think it might have been the last day of a term or possibly the last day of the year. For whatever reason it was just me, the teacher, and my mom in the classroom. There was a basket of candy and I saw what appeared to be a small Tootsie Roll but in a blue wrapper. I'd never seen that before and thought it was really neat, and opened it up. To my surprise it was white, and I thought it was a very special Tootsie Roll indeed. Once I started chewing on it, though, it tasted nothing like a Tootsie Roll and I can't remember if I spit out or just forced myself to swallow it. In hindsight it was probably a vanilla or other flavor Tootsie Roll, but at the time my little brain could not process the idea of a non-chocolate (to use the term generously) Tootsie Roll.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
when i was in highschool i was driving somewhere with my friend and a young woman acquaintance of his. she smelled awful, but i did not mention this of course. But i do recall that, immediately after making a mental note about how bad she stank, she said aloud "i don't believe in showering. i just shave all my hair and wipe down with a towel after"

i do not remember her name or anything else about her

TCE
Feb 26, 2016
At either 11 or 12 I went with my dad to the neighbourhood convenience store, and he asked the guy behind the counter "So is there a new owner or something?" The guy said yeah, and they had a friendly chat. Wanting to think of myself as a grown up who can have adult conversations, next ti me I was there I asked the guy the same thing, and he just frowned and said "Why is there anything wrong? What looks different?" Because I hadn't been listening to anything my dad was saying, I just sort of stared at the guy while he kept asking more questions before slinking away.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One of my sons asked me "what's the longest word," I instantly replied, "in the English language? It's pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconioses, 47 letters." Haven't thought about that word once in 30+ years.

I still have trouble remembering to put my garbage cans out on Tuesday, but that word and the number 47 is rock-solid engraved up there.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I thought the longest word in english was floccinaucinihilipilification. I looked this up, and found that

A) thanks to my 10th grade english teacher's borderline obsession with this word I still remember how to spell it and
B) it is the longest non-technical word in english, which I guess means its the longest string out letters that doesn't fall into the category of scientific or technical jargon

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

When I was 7, my mom and I went to Montgomery Ward because she was looking for some new curtains for the bedroom. We were on the first floor where home furnishings and such were, which also happened to be below ground level. We got what we needed and were waiting for the elevator to take us back to ground level.

The elevator doors opened up, and two of the most backwater people that looked like members of Leatherface’s family from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 step out. One of them, wheezing and scratching his beer belly and sounding exactly like Peter Lorre says, “heeeeeh heeeeeeeh, we maaaaaade it.”

My mom and I still say “we maaaaaade it” in that voice as an in-joke whenever we arive somewhere over thirty years later.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
When I was in second grade I moved to a new town and thus a new school. There was a large field surrounding the school (being the rural Midwest of course) that was absolutely infested with some kind of low-lying weed that was a dark red color, kind of like rhubarb. One kid there convinced me that when the plants turned red like that, it meant the devil was coming.

I didn't think much of it until one day during recess I was wandering in that field (because there was gently caress all else to do) and came across a bunch of blackbird feathers scattered around. It looked like the thing had exploded, since there was no carcass around. But there was one remaining piece: what looked like a tiny little brain, pierced through the middle by one of the bird's own feathers. When I saw how many of those red weeds were nearby I got the gently caress out of there and went back inside.

I assume the bird was either killed by a cat and ripped apart, or that maybe some other kid had found it first and hosed around with the brain by sticking a feather in it, or maybe someone actually did shoot it with something and it actually did explode violently enough to blow its brain clean out, or maybe I just dreamed it, but I remember it very clearly.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Pete Ellis Dodge!

Long Beach Freeway!

Firestone exit!

Southgate!

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
when i was 6 mum left me sitting outside the bottleshop with a trolley full of groceries while she ducked inside to buy wine, she told me to "guard" the groceries which was a bad idea because every time someone passed within a few metres i'd bare my teeth and growl and bark like a dog

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Whenever I hear Stevie Wonder's "You Are the Sunshine of My Life," I quietly utter in my head, "...Minute Maid" after each time that phrase is sung because, well, Minute Maid. What else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmqIXffOFsY

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Drunk Nerds posted:

One of my sons asked me "what's the longest word," I instantly replied, "in the English language? It's pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconioses, 47 letters." Haven't thought about that word once in 30+ years.

I still have trouble remembering to put my garbage cans out on Tuesday, but that word and the number 47 is rock-solid engraved up there.
I was always told it was antidisestablishmentarianism but clearly that is nowhere near 47. I haven’t thought of that for 25+ years til now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
AM2T-AA4N is the Game Genie code for infinite health in Gunstar Heroes. I don't think Ive even used a Game Genie in about 20 years.