Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Kawhi stay?
This poll is closed.
He stay 95 32.20%
He leave 99 33.56%
ask Uncle Dennis 57 19.32%
burn down Toronto if he doesn't 44 14.92%
Total: 295 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pretty sure it goes:

AD
Bosh
Love
Woof. Big Z I guess? Varajao maybe? Birdman for that ridiculous 20 game stretch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NotWearingPants posted:

Remember when Magic was like, "Build a team around LeBron you say? Get me the Shaqtin a Fool top 10 video now!"

Ehh, there was no path to building a real team around Lebron last year without the AD trade. Lebron signing there was always about this off-season.

I mean, Magic did a crappy job even putting a "tread water" team around him but ultimately I don't think you get anything more than 1 year contracts and the ceiling was probably first round knockout or so anyway.

euphronius posted:

I don’t even know what Williams Rational Celtics Poster is referring to

Yeah, I didn't either at first. A De'Aaron Fox for two kinda-crappy draft picks and Robert Williams. Ok.

Bagley for Jaylen Brown is probably pretty fair, but I think I'm higher on Brown than most people.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CRISPYBABY posted:

Yeah I got confused cause the discussion I've always heard about supermaxes was about guys who qualified on the new rules like curry/wall/westbrook etc and not the 10+ year players. My B.

The 3 maxes are somewhat colloquilly referred to as "Rookie-Max" or "Mini-Max", Max, and Super-max. But yeah, it's confusing.

Add in the fact that you can be given a contract that is ABOVE your max if the salary cap grows slowly, though that hasn't happened in a while.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

No, Kawhi is one of the few players that a 1+1 is absolutely no risk for him. Regardless what he does he should probably not sign long term.

There are only like 3 or 4 guys in the league who should think like that though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Hmm well, I guess he could just want to make sure he secures one last long-term deal now rather than risk hitting the free agent market next year at, uh...lemme look this up right quick...age 28???

I do not understand this decision at all. Banking on teams getting reckless after striking out on the top-tier free agents?

Maybe that, but he's also 1 ACL tear away from probably being a minimum guy.

If you think he's a solid starter 12-18 is the market for that and securing more long-term money makes sense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Speaking of Melo I am super excited for him to be an LA Lakers starter.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Holy poo poo, get Warren for a 2nd rounder literally any team

I'm thinking that ankle injury might be worse than is being reported. If there is structurally wrong there it would explain why the Suns are trying to jettison him. Otherwise he seems like a pretty good piece for the team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, if you bench and ignore Hayward your team doesn't have enough to be a contender. If you can get him back at or close to his 16-17 levels of production you are. It makes sense to put some focus on bringing him along rather than give up on the guy his first season on the floor.

Also, he played the 7th most minutes and his usage of 19% is not, like, sky high or anything. If Kyrie had a problem with a guy playing 25 minutes a night and taking slightly less shots that Marcus Morris that seems like its mostly Kyrie's problem.

Seriously, Kyrie had problems sharing the floor with Lebron James.

Bobby Digital posted:

As a Keltics fan, I am getting a little tired of the boys in green

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?hl=en#!topic/net.sport.hoops/qjU4xinyvAY

I was trying to figure out the year on this, it's amazing how timeless this rant is.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 19, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

scuz posted:

"Karl-Anthony Towns Is ‘Yelling From A Microphone’ To Get D’Angelo Russell To Minnesota"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uproxx.com/dimemag/karl-anthony-towns-dangelo-russell-free-agency-minnesota-timberwolves-interview/amp/

:pray:

I mean, how? Russell would be a good pickup but they really don't have any cap to get him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Did the Rondo trade happen during the draft or after

Draft day. I believe the trade was agreed to before the actual pick, but I don't remember.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

And the Cubs won the World Series.

Was the Love Lockdown actually good perimeter D or did Curry just brick the shot?

It was good defense in that he stayed in front of him and was channeling him towards help so Curry had a settle for a pretty mediocre look. It wasn't, like, an amazing feat but Love was just coming off a concussion and you'd think Curry could create a good look after being switched on Love but...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Congrats MV

Who will win the Rubio Sweepstakes?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

that's pretty good for both sides

Sorta seems like Memphis got robbed but I guess Conley's cap number is pretty big.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

MV gets Conley and dumps Grayson it's like Christmas for him

And no more Jae Crowder!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

2 first round picks for Conley is good

I guess, but its a late first and a heavily protected future, and honestly the contracts going back to Memphis are not good. Conley is "only" 31 but I probably overrate guys on the back end of their career arc.

I would thought they could have gotten Favors and I'm surprised they stayed with Utah as a partner when that was taken off the table.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

So likely a 2022 first (ie THE DOUBLE DRAFT)

Ah, that actually does improve it a bit for Memphis.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bashez posted:

I like Conley but his window does not align with Mitchell and Gobert.

I couldn't even make it through this post before deciding they didn't really give up a whole lot anyway.

I mean, Gobert's window is right now. He's 27 this offseason, he's probably not getting a whole lot better. Mitchell still has growing to do, but I think he'll develop a lot better with someone like Conley next to him than trying to hero-ball as much.

Plus we just had a championship where the 2nd best guy in the playoffs was a 3rd year, 24 year old. Utah is right to strike now.

I know you're saying the trade was good, but as far as timing I think this works pretty well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I know Grayson Allen is a running joke around here but he can play, at all? I thought he was a decent shooter

Not really. He's pretty old already and didn't really do anything super useful last year. A change of scenery might help him as Utah is a tough team to find open shots on but in general I thought he was pretty invisible most of the time I watched him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bashez posted:

You really put Siakam ahead of Lowry?

I think so. I'd probably say it was closer to a tie, but it forced to choose I think Siakam's scoring and constant transition threat was more important. I mean, Toronto really got help from a ton of guys on that roster though, so it's kind of an academic-only type argument.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Middleton is pulling the Cavaliers "You can't sign anyone else anyway so overpay me" trick. Question will be if the Cavs want to call his bluff. I don't know that anyone would offer the 4 year Max but I dunno. Maybe New York gets desperate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://twitter.com/LakersInformant/status/1141063593049243648

Ohh boy

I think all these guys will take 1/2 to 1/5th of their market value so they can get scowled at and blamed by Lebron

My first love is the idea that those guys would take vet minimums.

My 2nd is the idea of putting Brook Lopez and Javale McGee on the same level.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also the Bucks could sign Horford with cap-hold ideosyncrasies, have Bledsoe, Brogdon, Middleton, Giannis, and Horford and be prohibitive favorites but I guess he doesn’t want to go there

I think Horford would need to take like a 10m a year contract, which seems unlikely since he just opted out of $30 million.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nah the Bucks basically have 25M right now and could free up an actual max if they dumped DDV and Ersan on some poor fool

Giannis -26.8
Bledsoe -15.6
Snell -11.5
Ilyasova -7
Wilson & Donte- 6

Cap Holds:
Middleton-19.5
Brogdan -3
Still paying Hawes and Sanders 3.8

Assume they renounce everyone else and ignoring roster space charges that's 94.2 million, but you also have roster holds that suck up another 5 million or so. Cap next year is 109.

Bucks don't have much room here, and they still need to sign Lopez with cap space or an MLE.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Adun posted:

They've made the NBA finals the same number of times as the Orlando Magic in the last ten years. Fine they had a great 5 year stretch 15 years ago

Anyways their plans blowing up in their face now is just karma for how they treated IT. gently caress the Celtics.

2010 was more than 10 years ago?

Only 7 teams have been in the finals since the Celtics last were in it, that seems like a rough metric to measure a team by.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What's KD going to do then?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

Meanwhile Utah barely missed a beat and built a team that could go to the finals. It rules.

They immediately got to the 2nd round, I would say no beats were missed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Reddit probably fought it through the highest page view part of the schedule and then gave up after the finals since they have not much legal right to do it.

It's almost certainly this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

This seems like a weird draft to explicitly covet picks 20-23.

There is tons of smoke going up right now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

"The Portland Trail Blazers are not a bad team. They absolutely are not a great team."

"Damian lillard is no exception to the rule of not giving you much hope for the Portland Trail Blazers this season" is an amazing sentence.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ok, I guess. I don't think we have a PF on the roster anymore.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

NO jettisoning that bad Soloman Hill deal is an underrated part of that trade.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Katana_Warrior posted:

It's Keita time

Wait gently caress our 4 is going to be Hayward and that's why they did this trade.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

There seems to be an awful lot of stuff dependent on a trade that technically hasn't happened yet

The AD one? It happened for all intents and purposes. Ignore anyone who says LA will pull 3D chess and try to change the terms. It would be the end of the career of many people in the Lakers org if they did that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think Minnesota takes Coby White here.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

After 1 & 2 no other player is going to be wearing the hat of the team they actually start playing for.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Suns paying to trade TJ Warren is the worst trade of all time

I think TJ Warren is more hurt than is being let on

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892360

Class of 2019 Prediction thread. Put down who you think will bust and who was an ok pick, I guess. This is year 2 and if we can get a couple years of this it'll be really funny to see how dumb we all are.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm stoked for the Culver pick because clearly it means that Wiggins is gone and D'Lo is coming to play point.

If Wiggins is gone it means Gordon Hayward is our new 3/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

I am in favor of the potential trade to make this happen. The C's may even have to throw in a little more to make salaries match, no?

After Kyrie, I couldn't even imagine what having a guy like Wiggins taking up a supermax slot would do to the morale of Tatum and Brown.

Nope works straight up: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y4or3qrz

And Wiggins has the rookie-max, the smallest max. He'd take up one of the 5-year slots, but you have 2 of them and and that probably isn't a big deal.