Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Kawhi stay?
This poll is closed.
He stay 95 32.20%
He leave 99 33.56%
ask Uncle Dennis 57 19.32%
burn down Toronto if he doesn't 44 14.92%
Total: 295 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

NotWearingPants posted:

He's pretty much a bigger, more athletic Landry Shamet. I wouldn't write him off yet. Let's see what he does with his hair.

He also has a cool basketball name. That's gotta count for something.

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol @ the 76ers starting 3 centers.

They'd almost certainly break the record for the tallest starting lineup, right? The hypothetical shortest guy would be Josh Richardson at 6'6.

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, it'd be really nice to have a player like Horford to keep Embiid's minutes light all season.

I imagine Brett Brown will be having him take six 3pt shots a game. It will be interesting to see how he does with that kind of volume.

Horford has this uncanny ability to be completely ignored at the 3pt line. He seems to drain every wide open shot. -Perspective of a Sixers fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm still remaining cautiously optimistic that Butler's just doing a poo poo ton of posturing because he's been corrupted by Mark Wahlberg's lovely Hollywood friendship. In reality, he's making his rounds to tell every team personally that he's going to Run. It. Back.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Is Morey about to will a Jimmy Buckets S&T into existence?

It'll backfire into a Miami S&T that Riley didn't even know was possible until Morey's actions.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Not when they start Isaiah Thomas at pg

If he's willing to sign cheap, I'd totally take a flyer on him. Probably a decent "prove it" contract guy and an easy cut if it doesn't work out.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

If this leads to Boston being penalized for the Kemba "signing" then I'm all for it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

Pels are going to be my secondary team for the foreseeable future. They are going to be fun.

Warriors were my secondary team from the beginning of the Process, and it's been a weird run for me. Good luck and have fun.

This guy's sportsblog career ends before it even begins. He should turn in his 215 area code for a take this dumb.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

So Sixers are chasing Horford which frees up Sacramento's cap to absorb Capela because Houston is signing Jimmy because the Sixers are getting Horford

Capela to the Kings for a WCS on the QO and 4 2020 second rounders

Is Divac still susceptible to giving up future firsts with questionable protections and swap rights?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/mingramjr/status/1145309354100482050?s=19

This is my first time seeing this video and I have to report it gives me superpowers seeing Kawhi destroy the hopes and dreams lf such young 76er fans.

You monster...

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Any news on Jimmer? We may need another Jimmx to replace Jimmy G soon.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

If Mike Scott were five times more talented, Philly would treat him like the second coming of AI.

He keeps it real in a sincere way you don't get from typical pro athletes.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

gently caress it, bring on Richardson and Co. Honestly, if this is the transitive trade of RoCo, Saric and Bayless, it wouldn't be the worst thing. As much as Jimmy sold me on his greatness these past playoffs, I wasn't completely in love with the idea of him long term. Ultimately, the Sixers will go as far as Simmons and Embiid ability to improve and if we gain quality depth back, then so be it, that'll help the process in the long run.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

My biggest under the radar reservation about Jimmy G is that he's already at a place where he's noticeably slacking on the regular season to "turn it on" in the playoffs or crunch time. That's fine in some contexts, but I'm thinking the Sixers will need to take the regular season somewhat seriously especially if Embiid does his limited schedule. The turn it on mindset is fine for the Warriors or Lebron Cavs, but for teams that haven't really proven anything yet, it can be detrimental.

If they had the #2 seed this past season, arguably they'd have a very good chance at being defending champs right now. I'm not hating the idea of good depth.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

I don’t see how the Sixers could trade Butler for other salary and still be able to sign Horford (and Tobias)

Maybe Brooklyn will take the Wiggins bullet

Yeah I have no clue how this should work, but this is going to be a crazy next 24 hours.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The fairest thing to judge Elton by is whatever he ends up with. If the Sixers get Chris Paul and Horford or some poo poo, it'll be a disaster.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Wiggins on the spurs. He’d transform.

This, unironically.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I can't believe KD is going to announce his decision from his youtube burner account.

It'll be hilarious if he signs onto the wrong account.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Kyrie, Durant, and DeAndre would rule. Kyrie and DeAndre should just sit out next year though.

Despite the very valid reasons to make these moves, I have my doubts about adding Kyrie and DeAndre to the existing Nets in place of Russell and expecting a big improvement. I feel like they should've gone after aa versatile PF like Horford instead. Even Randle would be an intriguing option as he kind of fits their young timeline.

KD's return would obviously make a huge impact in a year, but it'd be very interesting to see how this coming year would go.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It's also pretty easy to argue the Nets largely overachieved this season. Their best way to have progressed would've been to add legit new pieces to a decent roster and not to simply replace existing pieces with slightly better versions of what they already had. Heck, is 31 year old DeAndre Jordan actually an improvement over 21 year old Jarrett Allen at this point?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Would love to be a fly on the wall at Jim Dolan's right now LOL

Actually I think from a basketball perspective this is fine for the knicks. From a PR perspective it's a disaster and makes them look at complete asses.

So... basically same old same old.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I actually think more than usual lol

If we go back like 20 years, it's very possible their impending failure wouldn't even be in their top 10 of disastrous moves or developments.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

As a Sixers guy, I'm not feeling that bad about this. Though I may end up feeling much worse about everything in a few hours, depending on the Butler situation.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Athanatos posted:

I mean, chances are KD going to be pissed this got leaked instead of announced during his youtube and backs out.

Nah he's spending all day with his head in the fart clouds.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Katana_Warrior posted:

Brooklyn should take this opportunity to rebrand themselves to the Swamp Dragons and make KD rock the green and purple for the next 4 years

Nah, they should be the Brooklyn IFERS and have their mascot be a giant Earth looking disc.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Knicks should just copy the Nets gameplan from the last 3 years--smart low risk signings and trades, decent draft picks--and hope that they field a young, competitive and appealing team during the next big free agent cycle in 4 years. They keep swinging for homeruns every year and it's amazing to see how little they learn.

I think this is the curse of Linsanity, as that was probably the last time a genuinely great thing just happened to them and they really hosed up all the good will it brought.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So when's the next time the owners are going to force a lockout? I'm guessing there'll be a lot of crazy tax bills these guys haven't thought too deeply about yet. Except for maybe those cheap rear end 76ers owners.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Rick posted:

You swapped Kemba for Kyrie, Terry Rozier and Al Horford.

Maybe in the end it will work out better since Kemba is more likely to go along with the flow of Stevens, in fact I think that's pretty likely to happen. But you can see how just from a raw talent standpoint that might not be the most desired outcome.

All hinges on Horford's fate, which we'll probably know in a few hours. The Rozier thing points to at least one more decent move to be made though, so we shall see.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Rick posted:

Player movement actually stops teams from having salary long enough to pay serious amounts of tax. Which yeah for some owners who consider that tax their rightful income is a problem. Still, I don't think we get another lockout for two years since they just renewed the deal last year.

3 straight years of repeater tax adds up pretty big though, even for billionaires' egos.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I feel like Elton Brand is getting caught with his pants down.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

NotWearingPants posted:

And if it turns out Jimmy lost interest because the Sixers wouldn't give him the 5th year?

not good.

Blunders this summer would probably sour Embiid on staying in a few years.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Basketball is a garbage rear end sport gently caress my life gently caress everything gently caress James Dolan gently caress the Nets gently caress you and you and you gently caress Metapod gently caress every motherfucker here

As you wish, Sixers fans probably getting hosed here.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I feel like this is going to hurt the Pacers a lot.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

I feel like this is going to hurt the Pacers a lot.

This didn't age well.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

NotWearingPants posted:

that can only mean we're getting Kawhi.

Giving away all those 2nd rounders sure has paid dividends so far.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

is that a thing?

Makes sense to me. They'd have the Pacers capspace by the balls for like a week otherwise.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

While I know this isn’t the highest FA targets, but what up with Bobi and Mike Scott?

Both have expressed interest in returning, so they're probably signing with the Pels as we speak.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I have faith that Philly will do something surprising and stupid. The city feeds off of dumb free agency surprises.

Nnamdi Asamoah, im looking at you.

I'm disappointed that they're apparently the only team that didn't bother tampering. With their own players.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Dexo posted:

Thad young signing for the Bulls is actually a solid one tbh

Thad is a good dude, but IMO he's like the embodiment of a low ceiling for a team's outlook. He's respectable at PF, but gets outmuscled or overmatched regularly. Aside from effort, he's average or slightly above average at everything a PF does. In essence, he'd be a great 6th man. But he's been just good enough to eke his way into starting lineups for most of his career.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe he's waiting on Brand to get out of his 50 minute long meeting with Tobias Harris.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

paternity suitor posted:

Severely dislike losing JJ

While I'm not feeling optimistic about a lot of things tonight, JJ isn't too bad of a loss IMHO. If he's the start of many losses, it'll really suck.

He looked like he was losing whatever steps he had left last season. His shot noticeably disappeared for long stretches last year. Plus, I feel like the Sixers (Brown's to blame for this) pigeonholed too much of their offense to rely on him with dribble hand offs. Guys would stand around aimlessly as they tried to telegraph it so often. It was frustrating as hell to see opposing teams play it perfectly time after time. To that point, I want to see Brown open up the play book with more creativity and adaptability. They could've done with with JJ on the roster, but they'll be absolutely forced to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kyrie gonna bully Durant into becoming a flat earther.

Durant gonna bully Kyrie into becoming a fart breather.