Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Kawhi stay?
This poll is closed.
He stay 95 32.20%
He leave 99 33.56%
ask Uncle Dennis 57 19.32%
burn down Toronto if he doesn't 44 14.92%
Total: 295 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

that first trade is so loving bad for the pelicans

e: all of those trades are terrible

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Slowpoke! posted:

The new theory is Kawhi signs a 1 year deal with Toronto and a 1 year player option, and eyes a super max in 2021 when he would have 10 years of service. That would give him the flexibility of signing a supermax with Toronto or a 1 year deal somewhere else in 2020 and a supermax in 2021

There are risks though given the recent injuries to Durant and Klay, and Kawhi’s own injury.

if kawhi puts down a 1+1 you take that poo poo immediately; by the end of that deal gasol will have retired and you’ll have a better idea of where siakam and og are as long term prospects

CRISPYBABY posted:

Ahh yeah I just looked it up. loving cap stuff. The supermax and the 10+ year max are both 35% of the cap so it's a semantic game mostly. The supermax just lets you hit that earlier in a long term deal if you jump through a million hoops.

it incentivizes teams to develop and keep young talent and the one per team rule keeps anyone from stockpiling young talent (which kind of hosed over the celtics but hey what can you do)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hahaha nooooo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

BWV posted:

As if we didn't have enough evidence as to what line of work employs the most bitchboys

https://twitter.com/KPIXtv/status/1140889637390553088?s=19

there’s literally footage of the incident

Poque posted:

I can't believe Kevin Durant isn't actually the most bitchmade human on earth

kd is by default less bitchmade than any law enforcement officer, sorry i don’t make the rules

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

knicks are gonna reach for garland and new yorkers will boo, so it is written

never seen this backfire before

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

dlo kinda seems like fool’s gold but it’s not like the suns have better options

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

lmao what

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Paul went to Rockets management and demanded a trade, and Harden issued a “him or me” edict following the Rockets’ second-round loss to the Golden State Warriors, sources said.

The backcourt mates went nearly two months without speaking to each other during the season, sources said, creating a tenuous environment for teammates and everyone involved with the franchise.

Harden hasn’t returned Paul’s repeated attempts at communicating this offseason, sources said, after a year in which the pair repeatedly got under each other’s skin with petty acts in practices and games.

pathetic cant believe these guys almost beat the warriors a year ago

cp3 seems like a really bad teammate

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I honestly think Kyrie is a GOAT troll or has some latent schizophrenia.
efb: here is Brad's response.
https://twitter.com/BrycenNFL/status/1141114222497210373?s=19

“good morning”
“what do you know about the mother plane”

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'd bet a nice chunk of change on Kyrie becoming a 5 percenter in the next few years.

as though he weren’t already

Dexo posted:

Man don't need it worry they have Jaylen Brown, he's so good they wouldn't trade him for Kawhi.

the celtics refused to offer up any of their starters (including loving gordon hayward) and only offered the spurs 2 out of 3 of their 2019 poo poo platter of picks because the kings pick was too valuable for a rental (lmao)

the fact that the raptors managed to outbid everyone else without giving up too much of value (and getting a starter right back in the trade!) is a testament to masai and an indictment of the 28 other dumbshit teams that could’ve at least thrown something together

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

just offer a future second for nola to push the trade back jfc

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Can Nola shop the pick if they do that? Doesn't seem like much incentive for them to help LA out and limit their own options

i think in that scenario you agree to a deal in principle and make it a multiple team trade after the lakers pick the player that team x tells nola to tell la to sign

i’m reading that and it doesn’t sound right though

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who mismanaged all their assets ts worse, Boston or Philly

wellllll the sixers will (barring injuries) make the playoffs and are a darkhorse to make the finals, and the celtics’ three best players are a dude with kobebrain, jaylen brown, and the ghost of gordon hayward

so

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hayward got lots of touches because he's a fan favorite (for some reason) and represents a big investment for the franchise since he was their first big FA signing of this current attempt at a title run

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

I thought Horford was their first big signing?

oh right, sorry al

anyways stevens has a long-standing relationship with hayward and gave him special treatment even if the boston media won’t admit it; i don’t think it’s strictly because hayward is white but i think the media would be tougher on him if hayward weren’t so gritty if you feel me

kyrie is also a thin-skinned baby who didn’t want to be in boston in the first place so this was probably the final nail

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

honestly i think that bit about the celtics knowing where al is gonna go is just posturing but i am a Boston Hater so you know grain of salt etc etc

morestuff posted:

Rondo made like four all-star games in Boston

i’m not gonna call a facts travel on an internet dunk

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

They didn't outright sell the Rondo pick, they got a future first and then immediately turned around and sold that to the Blazers the next year. They also sold the Deng pick around the same time. Basically as soon as they got good again with Nash Sarver decided to just stop ever actually making draft picks.

well yeah but did it hurt them long term

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

love got in a low defensive stance for maybe the first time ever and forced a mediocre look

he done good

OzFactor posted:

I have a harder time thinking of a team that wouldn't want Al Horford than I do thinking of good fits (outside of the fully-rebuilding teams). Denver and Utah I guess? It makes me physically uncomfortable even typing but think of how good he'd be on the Warriors.

i think they’re capped out unless they renounce a bunch of people’s rights so i dunno how they swing it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

I guess, but its a late first and a heavily protected future, and honestly the contracts going back to Memphis are not good. Conley is "only" 31 but I probably overrate guys on the back end of their career arc.

I would thought they could have gotten Favors and I'm surprised they stayed with Utah as a partner when that was taken off the table.

i know the celtics don’t believe in rentals or making productive trades that might benefit another team but i wonder if they’d be interested in moving one of rozier/smart and filler + a pick or two for favors

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Who the gently caress would play point in that scenario

whichever guard they don’t move presumably

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

who’s mvp

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Upon immediate review, getting excited about a trade exception after trading away the franchise cornerstone is...depressing.

you can take on john wall’s contract for wizards picks!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

How would this work?

if you trade for him before his new contract kicks in he fits even with his 15% kicker with just the exemption

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

BWV posted:

KD handicapping his future team to help Golden State yet again is some twisted rear end poo poo.

found this article

quote:

"One of the things that is being discussed right now is that the Golden State Warriors would offer Kevin Durant a five-year contract -- $57 million more than he could get signing elsewhere -- let him rehab, and then work with him to be traded, potentially to New York, potentially to somewhere else. It would be their way to sort of take care of him monetarily after what he just went through and also protect the franchise to get some assets

“hey it’s a win-win buddy!!!!”

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

i can't believe they're doing it to me again, but if they let coby run and sign one or two cromulent nba players, the bulls should be fun next season, please quote this at me in february when they've won 10 games and all hate each other and boylen is literally living in a bunker.

literally every move they’ve made in the past two years has set them up to run uptempo, let’s watch boylan try to run a princeton

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

almost as bad as the time he said fab melo had a big heart

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

has anyone on the lakers ever had to say “people definitely want to sign here because if not then s c o r e b o a r d b i t c h

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Gotta make sure it's not sullied by outcome bias.

this but unironically

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i wish i still had the time to pore over basketball footage for like four hours a day instead of paying attention in class

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

28m aav for a guy who’s definitely on the downturn is wild

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I've been saying there's too much money floating around and there's gonna be some terrible contracts signed. That said Horford's game may age decently so who knows.

i wrote a post comparing millsap and horford and how horford might age as gracefully and then i realized they’re the same age so y’know, godspeed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i hope rui is successful but fuckin wooooow

i guess this is why you don’t go into a draft with no gm?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So...is Bol Bol basically Steve Novak or Matt Bonner with hype?

that's basically what mv thinks his best case scenario is; in theory, he's far more versatile on offense while being way worse in terms of physical profile (despite being a good half foot taller than either)

i think he'll have a hard time doing any sort of work in the paint and he's not gonna be able to fight through screens very well or set one himself, and he has a long injury history; in my mind his best case scenario is he puts on 40 pounds and works hard and ends up being raef lafrentz 2.0 but the more likely one is that he'll just be a situational player for creating mismatches on offense that you can then hide on defense while he periodically contributes a weakside block or two in 15 mpg

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

Still watching a few draft videos and the DX guys were incredibly smart to never talk on camera. The youtube dudes that drone on and make jokes are intolerable

yeah; the kind of people who consume draft content want bare-bones production, not personalities to be chummy with

videos that convey information should be easily consumable, tightly edited, and present an authoritative tone; it's like the problem with most video walkthroughs of videogames

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

They sent him along with salary because they decided they didn't want to wait for a real rebuild and try to buy a team this offseason.

We'll, uhh, we'll see how that goes.

they were targeting kyrie and kd and their backup plan seemed to be to trade for ad

so far, not great

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

One of the worst things about THE PIVOT TO VIDEO is seeing all of the people whose content you're familiar with in written form that should never be talking in front of a camera.

writing doesn't pay anyone's bills unless they're with the athletic and that bubble's gonna burst sooner or later; youtube's algorithms all depend on 10+ minute videos, subscriber counts, and a consistent number of views, and most content doesn't fit that mold

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Danny LaFever posted:

That's an unfortunate development for the Kings.

they can always extend the QO for only 14m in cap space, let him test the market, and decide if they want to match it at the risk of pissing off his agent (which honestly doesn't matter all that much) but honestly he was kind of so-so last season and there's like 3 dudes behind him on the depth chart and center is a pretty deep position in the nba right now

like it sucks he doesn't want to play there but it's not exactly boogie leaving town you know

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

WCS seems like a pretty good backup center who happens to play at the worst possible time to be that.

i think the kings will cut him for cap flexibility so they can resign barnes and possibly bring in another veteran fa which is probably a win-win if wcs wants to play for a contender or not share time at the 5, and i’m pretty sure the kings currently consider giles/bagley to be their frontcourt of the future so it’s doubtful they’d want to hit the cap just to hoard centers

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

in theory those top 5 contracts should be movable to a contender and other than love they all come off the books in 2020 (just in time to sign kent bazemore!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

how is drafting the obviously better player rolling the dice

the kings would look so good with jjj and a healthy harry giles as their frontcourt