Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Kawhi stay?
This poll is closed.
He stay 95 32.20%
He leave 99 33.56%
ask Uncle Dennis 57 19.32%
burn down Toronto if he doesn't 44 14.92%
Total: 295 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

big boi posted:

I don't know who is more anti-reddit streams between cable providers and the NBA itself, but whoever it is is dumb as hell. Let us pay you for easy access to ball and we'll pay, you buffoons! Make League Pass less poo poo! I used to torrent a shitload of movies until I was able to just shell out $4 for a YouRube rental, and now I just rent the drat things. It's not like torrenting ever got particularly difficult. Let us give you money without paying for loving Fox News and the History Channel. In the meantime I may well go to HeHeStreams

NotWearingPants posted:

...maybe they have plans for offering a streaming service that is actually worth paying for next season?

If the issue is that networks and service providers pay for the rights to the games, why don't they let the networks and service providers sell them as PPV events or monthly passes?

Cable providers. The NBA was pretty forward-thinking in regards to not taking down NBA clips on YouTube (unlike the NFL and MLB and SNL at first). SNL isn't sports but they stood out for a long time for being very draconian about online stuff.

If the executives and c-level guys of all the cable companies gave viewers TV channels à la carte they'd lose BILLIONS of dollars. That's why there's a reluctance to do that.

First, tens of millions of people would order just Fox News or MSNBC only for like $2.99 a month. Then even most people who sit on a couch all day aren't going to order 200+ channels.

Fast Luck posted:

The backcourt mates went nearly two months without speaking to each other during the season, sources said, creating a tenuous environment for teammates and everyone involved with the franchise.

Harden hasn’t returned Paul’s repeated attempts at communicating this offseason, sources said, after a year in which the pair repeatedly got under each other’s skin with petty acts in practices and games.

pathetic cant believe these guys almost beat the warriors a year ago

CP3 is going to turn into a warped, frustrated old man as his skills diminish.

Current thoughts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2d0-OPQ4Rs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IBentMyWookie posted:

What do you think about Cousins going to the Lakers for another ring

He runs the risk of turning into a "least valuable ring chaser" AKA the LVRC. Joining the likes of

2018 Nick Young
2017 Deron Williams
2013 Tracy McGrady
2006 Keith Van Horn
1983 Dwight Jones

to name a few.

WhyteRyce posted:

I hope Harden switches to Geico

I hope all these athletes/celebrities stop shilling for corrupt insurance companies (and credit card/loan shark companies).

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

KD is out for the year but Steph+Dray can tread water and they could hopefully get Klay back sometime after the ASB. Plus maybe Boogie re-signs on the cheap and looks better with another off-season of rehab and an untorn quad.

It’s looking bleak but not unsalvagable

Even treading water may be difficult. Green/Curry might be tuckered out.

If Green does his culinary coasting again GSW will be junky.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

And can the Lakers survive if he or LBJ miss any kind of significant time?

If it's just AD and LBJ and a bunch of bums then he can't miss any time.

Also, LBJ will be 35 and if he plays a full season will have more NBA minutes than ANYone outside of ancient Kareem and ancient Karl Malone.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I could totally see the lakers sneaking in a ring but itd be so much more entertaining to see this go full trash fire

zapplez posted:

Theres a legit chance its Bron and co in the finals next year, to give the raptors another spanking.

I'm skeptical because the Lakers desperately need a ton of 3P shooting. They were 29th in 3P shooting last year and have now severely depleted their RC% on top of that.

kingcobweb posted:

The lakers needing immediate 2nd-round picks not for future assets but because it’s the only way they can fill a roster alongside two top-10 players is very funny

The Lakers need Kawhi, Stephen Curry and Buddy Hield.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

So does Curry and Cousins manage to drag the rest of that roster to the playoffs if Klay and Durant miss the season?

Don't be shocked if they miss it in 2020.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Imagine if the Warriors didn't play KD in game 4. Yes they're lose the series but then KD doesn't rupture his Achilles and Klay doesn't year his ACL.

What absolute poo poo luck.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seriously. How loving bizarre.

It's textbook attrition. They could've injured themselves in different ways too.

Curry/Green might be next.

euphronius posted:

Gasol was pretty amazing too

He seemed okay but it seems hard to call him amazing when he's averaging ~10 GmSc per game in the finals.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Footage of monkeu in the waning moments of G6 of the NBA finals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3o4QMIISZg

R.D. Mangles posted:

remember when the raptors could not under any cirumstances manage to beat the bulls for like five years even as they got better and better and the bulls devolved into garbage

I remember...I remember all of it.

Tae posted:

Draymond is a scrubby d league player that got lucky

mark jackson should've poisoned him

WhyteRyce posted:

Danny Ainge is the guy with a bunch of unwrapped Disney VHS tapes in his garage convince me otherwise

:lol:

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also I don't know what to make of CP3 wanting out of Houston. He's a loving idiot if he thinks he's going to be in a better situation than the team he's on for the rest of his career.

He wants to go to La La Land.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Stealth Tiger posted:

GIVE ME THE FINALS NET POINTS BABY. THAT'S WHAT I COME TO SA FOR

EXPORT THAT poo poo OUT OF R DIRECTLY INTO MY VEINS

Playoff NP:

code:
NP	Player
140.96	Kawhi Leonard
119.92	Stephen Curry
94.28	Kevin Durant
56.96	Klay Thompson
56.68	Nikola Jokic
49.84	Damian Lillard
47.36	Kyle Lowry
47.08	Giannis Antetokounmpo
43.24	Kevon Looney
40.88	James Harden
40.48	George Hill
35.56	Montrezl Harrell
33.72	Pascal Siakam
33.68	Eric Gordon
33.4	Ben Simmons

-8.16	Nikola Vucevic
-8.32	Jodie Meeks
-8.44	Russell Westbrook
-8.52	DeMarre Carroll
-9	Thabo Sefolosha
-9.6	Evan Turner
-10.4	Patty Mills
-10.52	Evan Fournier
-10.52	Jonathan Isaac
-10.64	Jonas Jerebko
-11.72	D'Angelo Russell
-15.76	Ish Smith
-16.72	Monte Morris
-19.44	Will Barton
-19.52	Donovan Mitchell
GmSc through six games:

code:
GmSc	Player
143.6	Kawhi Leonard
137	Stephen Curry
97.3	Klay Thompson
94.1	Pascal Siakam
78.3	Draymond Green
77.8	Kyle Lowry
61.6	Fred VanVleet
60.5	Marc Gasol
55.7	Serge Ibaka
51.1	Andre Iguodala
33	DeMarcus Cousins
30.8	Danny Green
21.9	Shaun Livingston
20.5	Kevon Looney
14.6	Quinn Cook
13.5	Andrew Bogut
8.4	Jonas Jerebko
8.2	Kevin Durant
8	Jordan Bell
6.5	Norman Powell
3.4	Patrick McCaw
1.2	Alfonzo McKinnie
0	Damian Jones
0	Jeremy Lin
0	Jodie Meeks
0	Malcolm Miller
-2.1	Jacob Evans
Finals NP:

code:
Player			Finals NP
Klay Thompson		37.96
Stephen Curry		29.92
Kawhi Leonard		29.84
Fred VanVleet		14.84
Marc Gasol		13.56
Pascal Siakam		12.76
Serge Ibaka		12.28
Kyle Lowry		8.64
Draymond Green		5.76
Kevin Durant		5.12
Andrew Bogut		4
Kevon Looney		3.24
Danny Green		3
Jordan Bell		2
Patrick McCaw		1
Shaun Livingston 	0.48
Andre Iguodala		0.04
Jeremy Lin		0
Jodie Meeks		0
Malcolm Miller		0
Damian Jones		0
DeMarcus Cousins 	-0.12
Quinn Cook		-0.88
Jonas Jerebko		-1.76
Norman Powell		-2.88
Jacob Evans		-3
Alfonzo McKinnie 	-4.32

zelah posted:

Do you think Klay filmed all his scenes for space jam already? Or is he going to be rolling around in a chair, cause that wouldn’t be as fun I don’t think.

LBJ is producing the new Friday the 13th film series. LBJ just signed Klay on for this role:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn8PvUELShA

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

People often ask what it's like to be a Bulls fan circa 2019:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_5ldkXHheo

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually, from what we've been told Masai might have pulled an Uzi on the cop so really it would be in everyone's best interests if he never left Canada again.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Tell that fat loving pig to get over himself and get back to guarding the sunglasses hut from isis or whatever.

WhyteRyce posted:

So Golden State with their "we told KD he couldn't hurt it worse" and "Kevon it's just pain you can play through it" medical staff let Klay jump around and then run out to shoot free throws and run down the floor before doing any examination and then find out he tore his ACL

Light years ahead

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm extremely open to trading this gum on my shoe for a new stick of gum
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1141093661578596352

Basically the worst scorer back-to-back years.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Does this make the Sixers the second best team?

That is unlikely.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The MLB is considering allowing cities to share teams. I think MIL should share Giannis with Chicago.

Bashez posted:

If Kawhi ends up on the Lakers I'm going to laugh my rear end off. I also really want to see that.

One step closer...

Fast Luck posted:

As a learned doctor, it is my opinion that the Warriors never should have sent KD out there when he wasn't ready but they should have put Klay back into the game!

Only a few weeks back many thought GSW was poised to win the next few titles. Crooked refs desperately worked to get a G7 but it didn't work. Curry should do like MJJ and play baseball for two years while KD and Klay recuperate.

kingcobweb posted:

Oh wait it was 2K11 I started with- the opening where you’re playing as the Jordan Bulls before you even get to a menu is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen a video game do. I lost that game but then again, so did Jordan

I just watched this. They made MJJ look like Kevon Looney.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Personal message to Bob Myers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHAkekdPWdM

Personal message to Kawhi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tboDnpE7Y

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm the gorilla head dumbbell in the background.

Edit: Kettlebell. Weights are dumb.

They even sell a Bigfoot one that weighs nearly 100lbs.

evil_cheese posted:

Man so much can change in a year. This time last year people were thinking the celts were gonna be champion contenders, now everyone making fun of how bad they are gonna be. Life comes at you fast sometimes. :smith:

Basically 160,000 people die everyday. That's a lot of change.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zion Williamson being sued for $100 million by marketing company that says he broke contract
https://sports.yahoo.com/zion-williamson-being-sued-for-100-million-by-marketing-company-that-says-he-broke-contract-155903259.html

Someone ~200 pages back said that it could be UTA vs. MIL in 2020.

Giannis and Gobert's championship hunger levels should increase more.

While Kevin Durant; the litch is recuperating.

homphgomph posted:

So this is just an aside but I was trying to fiddle around with modding in some raptors in 2k, through a combination of not knowing what I'm doing and Blenders lovely interface I was ultimately unsuccessful, but I figured I'd share this

Passing resemblance to Greg Oden.

Refreshing honesty.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If Kawhi goes to the Lakers he can attempt to be the first guy to win a Finals MVP on three different teams. Surpassing LBJ and KAJ.

Kevin Love supports Mark Cuban 2020 presidential bid: 'I'm for it'
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kevin-love-mark-cuban-president-102538253.html

“I love Mark Cuban,” says Kevin Love, power forward for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVsMcCsUaq4&t=26s

...commissioner Adam Silver says moving away from the term "owner" makes sense because of its negative connotation...fans around the world to start using “evil billionaire” for the next few years until being supplanted by "evil trillionaire."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leftist heap posted:

I can think of lots of theoretical ways to motivate teams in the tournament like giving each winner a billion dollars. Something like this would be a seismic shift in how an NBA season plays out.

I would probably do PPV to watch the worst couple of NBA teams face off against the two NCAA tournament finalists in March/April.

Spacebump posted:

What are reasonable expectations for Porzingis next season?

morestuff posted:

It’ll be interesting to see how Porzingis looks on a good, well-coached team. Shotblocking + threes is obviously a crazy valuable combo but he always seemed a touch overrated in NY, not incredibly efficient on offense and able to get bullied on defense

Unfortunately it seems that Porzingis is an overrated trashman. I do not expect greatness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Do you honestly think anyone is ever going to say "Count the mid-season February tournament wins"

Derisively, I can imagine dozens of pages of this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Report: NBA executives think Lakers are most likely destination for Carmelo Anthony
https://sports.yahoo.com/carmelo-anthony-lakers-free-agency-knicks-lebron-050223818.html

Spacebump posted:

What are people expecting from Durant when he can play in two seasons? Right now, I’m thinking ultra expensive shooter that occasionally has a flashback game.

He was already on the decline the past couple of years before the injury. In short, Kevin Durant is DOOMED.

Danny LaFever posted:

I was just thinking about how sports media accepted the "manboobs story" whole-heartedly.

Media in general have a knack for doing that. Running with all kinds of sensational stuff to get that money. All kinds of political and celebrity hogwash too.

The Glumslinger posted:

They actually outsourced their sports medicine to Theranos

Curry was involved with faith healing a few years back. Mark Jackson poured oil on his ankle and then Curry got up and started shimmying and jumping on his ankle. Then Curry went to five straight NBA finals and had the greatest scoring season in NBA/ABA history.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Drake's dad reveals that the Raptors championship made him very rich
https://sports.yahoo.com/drakes-dad-reveals-that-the-raptors-championship-made-him-very-rich-020342579.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0pw08CX5IY

Andre Iguodala reveals how NBA players use cell phones during halftime
https://sports.yahoo.com/andre-iguodala-reveals-nba-players-193444571.html

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

a new study bible! posted:

Weren't the Hawks like setting records for 3 pointers during that time?

That was the year Korver 3P shots were literally a coin flip proposition.

DeimosRising posted:

I’m trying to imagine what that team even looks like, would they start Faried and...nene? Hartenstein? I have no idea I honestly think this might be the rare situation where you trade 3 quarters for a dollar and lose

Nene said he planned to retire last month.

Time posted:

Sounds awful

Expand to 42 teams. Play each team once home/away.

Crazy Ted posted:

Like...I don't want to poo poo all over Atlanta but when they had that recent 60-win season they still finished in the bottom half of the league in attendance.

Also, there've been covert studies proving that Atlanteans wash their hands less than any other sports fans. It was something awful like more than half of people coming out of toilet stalls didn't even wash their hands.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Here are the preseason poll scores. 2019 was harder to predict than 2018. I'll post more information later:

code:
SA user name:			Points (30 max):
Props Department		19
Drunk Canuck			19
Space Camp fuckup		18
Lewis Skolnick			18
G-Hawk				18
The Walrus			18
Henchman of Santa		18
evil_cheese			18
crispybaby			17
R.D. Mangles			17
Cool Buff Man			17
Pungry				17
Eeevil				17
The Glumslinger			17
hifi				17
scuz				17
chickenmedium			17
Disillusionist			17
Hopkins FBI			17
Away All Goats			17
The Maestro			17
Fast Luck			17
Zogo				17
Randomhodge			17
DC Murderverse			17
cowandchick			17
nagel				17
katana_warrior			16
Anonymous User #1		16
Shrimp or Shrimps		16
Lockbacl			16
IcePhoenix			16
WorldWarZ			16
DMCrimson			16
Paul Zuvella			16
Carlosologist			16
Kibner				16
AggressivelyStupid		16
The B_36			16
MelancholyMark			16
Brolander			16
Vinestalk			16
Frustrated			16
Chairchucker			16
NeuroticErotica			16
Cavauro				16
RanchDuBois			16
the mean lunch lady		16
Gobias Ind.			16
Jack's Flow			16
Copper for lyfe			16
cougar cub			16
lloyol				16
Morestuff			16
H-Tail				15
Dejan Bimble			15
Metapod				15
Athanatos			15
stevie lee			15
runaway pancake			15
Boredumb			15
RedApe98			15
Tarbrush 			15
MalarkeyToboggan		15
Coaaab				15
jackofarcades			15
Purple Jesus			15
Cadillac Pants			15
GuidoAnchovies			15
Adun				15
eratik				15
Strawberry Panda		15
Dimebag				15
MayakovskyMarmite		15
leftist heap			15
OzFactor			15
alansmithee			14
ScooterMctiny			14
Lazy Like a Fox			14
spacebump			14
Salvor_Hardin			14
Jimtech				14
NickRoweFillea			14
gnoma				14
The_american_dream		14
big boi				14
Shamblercow			13
Algund Eenboom			13
Rick				13
Sweetgrass			13
chunkles			7

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Summary of voting:

code:
Questions:						Correct Answer/Percentage Correct:
Which team finishes with the best record?				Bucks 0%
Which team finishes with the worst record?				Knicks 2%
Which team will have the largest win swing this season?			Magic 1%
Which team will have the largest loss swing this season?		Cavaliers 66%
Name the rookie WS and/or PER leader:					Ayton/Robinson 12%
Name the overall WS and/or PER leader:					Harden/Giannis 29%
LeBron James will play in the 2019 NBA finals:				Disagree 96%
James Harden will win the 2019 Kia MVP award:				Disagree 95%
Select who will play the most minutes in the 2019 regular season:	Vince Carter 26%
Kevin Durant will win a third consecutive Finals MVP award in 2019:	Disagree 75%
Select the eight Eastern Conference playoff teams:			69%
Select the eight Western Conference playoff teams:			74%
Select the ECF loser:							Bucks 5%
Select the WCF loser:							Trail Blazers 0%
Select the Finals loser:						Warriors 12%
Select the Finals winner:						Raptors 7%
G-Hawk was the only one who had the Magic improving the most.
hifi and katana_warrior selected the Knicks to finish last.
Props Department, R.D. Mangles, Cool Buff Man, AggressivelyStupid, Tarbrush had the Bucks losing in the ECF.
Drunk Canuck, The Walrus, crispybaby, scuz, Away All Goats, katana_warrior had the Raptors winning the finals.

Nobody guessed the correct eight EC or WC playoff teams this year.

Metapod posted:

am i the anonymous user?

No, somebody forgot to fill in a name.

Lewis Skolnick posted:

Nearly went back to back champ but my hot take that Kawhi would never return to being a top 5 player was so goddamn wrong I probably deserved to come last.

Now that's been said, I'll return to my usual programming of not posting and absorbing all the hot takes provided by learned doctors to become the most galaxy-brained Rockets fan in the NBA universe.

Yea, you had 25 out of 30 last year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MelancholyMark posted:

...What?

edit: ah what, my knights of Lebron gang tang disappeared when I changed avatars, can iospace or someone else please give it back to me :smith:

We've done a few years of guessing which older/injured player will have the most minutes.

This year it was:

code:
Select who will play the most minutes in the 2019 regular season:

Votes	Percentage
Dirk Nowitzki	46	50.5%
Vince Carter	24	26.3%
Jamal Crawford	21	23.0%

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Brolander posted:

THIS'LL be the year the jazz are really good and get to the Finals! not like those other years i said it

Count Orlok will not be pleased if it's MIL vs. UTA in the finals.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

LeBron in 18-19 had more points, assists, and boards than his career averages. How on loving earth is 27/9/8 "looking mortal?"

A lot of LBJs 2019 value stats were the lowest they've been since his rookie year.

Assists and rebounds are overrated and easy to inflate on the individual and team level. If collecting assists and rebounds was crucial then guys like Andre Drummond and Ben Simmons would be top five guys last year. Likewise, the Rockets would be one of the very worst teams.

Libertine posted:

Houston has a very good chance to win the title this year if they stand pat on their roster or make any kind of lateral moves or slight improvements.

They still need to remedy their awful defense.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

man Kawhi LeBron AD is an all time team

It's a shame that LBJ isn't ten years younger.

xbilkis posted:

I'm going to submit the controversial opinion to the thread that signing Harrison Barnes to a four-year deal that pays him $22 million a year is actually bad

euphronius posted:

Barns is a good starter and he got good starter money. It’s seems fine to me ???

He was 40% from Three last year on 6 attempts per game. He’s perfect for the Kings.

And 44% from 2P range. :vince:

He had like 3 WS last year and just got nearly nine figures. :lol:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Whenever I see the Rockets and think about them trying to sign on someone new I just can't figure out how they thought that signing Chris Paul to a massive contract like that at the age he was. The man will be thirty six in his final year. How did anyone think that having a player plagued with past injuries would have the ability to play competitively into his 16th year of the NBA? The man's agent clearly deserves the bulk of that contract.

For all the injuries he's had he's never had one that really knocked him out a whole season or anything. He's played 1,700+ minutes in all fourteen of his seasons. Not even fifty guys have done that in NBA/ABA history.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Le Saboteur posted:

If Durant gets picked up by the Knicks and Kawhi does the 1+1 with the Raptors then I'd believe he's going to the Knicks in 2021.

I have skepticism on any truly great players going to NYC again. Maybe it'll happen but there's zero motivation for the nefarious BOG to move players there as the Knicks franchise valuation continues to skyrocket no matter how bad the team is.

Arrest Magic Johnson and Anthony Davis now IMHO.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Kawhi has already proven he can win a championship as the third/fourth best player on a team, and another as the best player on a team with no other real stars. The next level is to go to LeBron and AD's team and prove he is better than them and take the team over. That's pure Alpha.

Kawhi had the best numbers on both the 2014 and 2019 teams.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Also, MJJ runs the dirtiest arena in the whole NBA (possibly of all the major NA sports). Concessions workers might as well have been boiling hot dogs in spare toilets.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Boy that name became unfortunate, huh

Alex Jones is a great actor.

I would've gone to LA and joined the new "LeBron's Witnesses" cult.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Algund Eenboom posted:

Basically came in last but still very proud that I correctly guessed Nikola Jokic, Paul Millsap, Gary Harris, Jamal Murray, Trey Lyles, Miles Plumlee, and Will Barton would each finish the season with more WS than John Wall. Too bad about the injury though

Bad news. I just calculated and John Wall had 1.173 WS while Trey Lyles finished with 1.166 WS. Trey Lyles ruined your majestic hot take.

In short, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVWjiGzSV-M&t=110s

Jota posted:

"...If the challenge is unsuccessful, they lose that timeout."

They should lose it even if it is successful.

Dexo posted:

Easy, you don't rest those 3 all at the same time. And not give a flying gently caress about your playoff seed.

I doubt they'll have enough firepower to overcome being a really junky seed.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KD no longer deserves to wear the White Sox hat.

Not the greatest sign.

zelah posted:

When I took calls for an electric company a woman called in once saying very similar things. Started out as a regular high bill call then she went into how her bill is high because of the electrical devices the fbi use to torture her and that her neighbors are also government agents that use magnets to speed up her meter.

Textbook schizophrenia.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

La La Anthony ‘a wreck’ after Carmelo caught yachting with mystery gal
https://pagesix.com/2019/06/27/la-la-anthony-a-wreck-after-carmelo-caught-yachting-with-mystery-gal/

Need one of those "don't believe his lies" photos for every person that appears on TV.

Lockback posted:

Now THIS is going to be fun

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

I sense Lakers hubris rising.

Dexo posted:

Ah yes, Kawhi, LeBron and Davis if healthy definitely care about their seeding lol.

AD should care. His seeding is so atrocious they don't even let him into the playoffs most years.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Watching TV is a waste of electricity.

ChrisBTY posted:

It sure is cool watching everybody go to NY and LA.

AKA Trickle up economics.

peer posted:

Did anyone watch a clippers game this season? Apart from Gallinari having a career year when healthy, how on earth did they manage 48-34 with this

Pretty sure half these guys are randomly generated 2k players

48 wins with a mighty SRS of 1.0

It appears to be NBA ref chicanery facilitated by Steve Ballmer.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MelancholyMark posted:

Also everyone loves to overlook this fact when ppl say [Simmsons is] just gonna magically learn how to shoot

Karl Malone shot 55% from the line his first two seasons. And then improved a lot after that.

Lockback posted:

The West will probably have like 8 ~50 win teams (Lakers, Utah, Portland, clippers, Denver, warriors, thunder, Spurs). Maybe one has injury trouble and falls off but I have trouble seeing the Mavs over any of those.

:rip: Thunder from that list.

Brolander posted:

A while back someone was talking about Patrick Ewing not being an all time great? The rare moment where Shaq and I agree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdssQMCrbZc

"Ewing was a top 5 C of all-time." Shaq on crack.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

boxcarhobo posted:

Why not 3 days ago when everyone was apparently making deals anyway

Should just get it over with right after the NBA finals.

BREAKING NEWS: GSW will not win the 2020 finals.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seriously though what the gently caress are the Warriors doing (unless they're losing Klay)

Burning $$$.

I call for mandatory drug testing on all owners forthwith because Mark Cuban is on crack cocaine.

colachute posted:

as far as franchises that are *~*historically relevant*~* are the knicks the most overrated franchise ever? i feel like they have this aura or mystique or whatever that just kind of appeared there. it wasn't like they went out and had a dynasty at any point... ever.

i guess i just wonder why the knicks are relevant other than being in NYC

The NYK franchise peaked in 1969. It's a media stronghold so that's about it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

imagine like 15 years ago someone telling you that guys are leaving championship teams to form a superteam on the clippers and the least desirable free agent town is chicago, which is a slightly worse free agency wasteland than like orlando

The ghost of Jordan is real. LBJ and other players talk about it at times. They're still scared of the statue too. They know they can never live up to it so it scares them away.

iamsosmrt posted:

They'd almost certainly break the record for the tallest starting lineup, right? The hypothetical shortest guy would be Josh Richardson at 6'6.

Yea, if they remain healthy and play a lot of minutes they'd surpass even the 1996 Magic:

The 2020 76ers are basically a stunt double team of that team:

code:
Player			Ht
Nick Anderson 		6-6
Anfernee Hardaway 	6-7
Dennis Scott 		6-8
Horace Grant  		6-10
Shaquille O'Neal 	7-1

Josh Richardson 	6-6
Tobias Harris  		6-9
Ben Simmons 		6-10
Al Horford 		6-10
Joel Embiid 		7-2 

:eyepop:

big boi posted:

I just caught up to everything and it seems that the Bucks and Sixers are megafucked

I have faith that Giannis can get even better.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

kalensc posted:

Paging Zogo

Over the years you've mentioned that roster consistency and at least 1 player in Top X in PER (or some stat) had strong correlation with finalists/champions.

Given the Raptors' summer and midseason deals and Kawhi load management, did this season end up being an outlier data point?

No, they were inliers and full-fledged contenders. It was expected as the Raptors were on the short list of teams that should've won the title. And going by WS/48 they were favored over the Warriors because Kawhi had stronger numbers than any GSW player. The Raptors were the right age, had good offense/defense, okay roster continuity, elite 3P shooting and good seeding.

GSW had history and attrition against them with most of the core going to their fifth straight finals.

The Glumslinger posted:

Serious question: How long do the Knicks have to be bad before we pity them like (pre2016) Cubs or the Brown? Probably another few decades?

Probably another thirty years and a change of ownership.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Are the Jazz now the best team in the West?

Could be.

Spacebump posted:

Have there been any ideas for changes mentioned beyond less games, the tournament, and potentially no conferences for playoffs?

The 4P line.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

generic one posted:

This poo poo is insane. 10 years ago, this level of scrutiny wouldn’t have been possible, but even since the rise of stalker social media, has this ever happened for, like, any professional athlete? I could see it with some soccer player in the UK or something, but dang, this goes way beyond “The Decision” in the US.

The NSA, FBI, CIA et alia know what's been going on for many years. They just won't spoil it.

RCarr posted:

I bet retired NBA players constantly wish they were born a decade or two later. The contracts that are going around now are just insane. Tobias Harris will make almost double Michael Jordan’s career salary earnings over the next 5 years.

Even farther into the future probably. Finding that exact sweet spot where you can maximize all your billions of dollars and use it all up and then die of old age just as the society collapses because the majority have been priced out of everything. Cliodynamics etc.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Potentially hot take: I believe neither the Sixers nor the Lakers will be as good as some people seem to think. Even if the Lakers get Kawhi the rest of that team will be so dire they've got major problems.

Hot take: leaving GSW, PHI and LAL all out of playoff contention.

Volkerball posted:

As opposed to the Lakers who have no such figures in their history.

MJJ has a special and solemn relationship with the Bulls as if he was a real demigod. The Lakers are in La La land and move on from one flashy star to another with ease. Even the greatest stars of today know that they'd have an extremely hard time reaching six titles on the Bulls. Many players have said this over the years.

If you told me Lakers-chainman.gif didn't even KNOW who Kareem was I would not be shocked that much. Just like those embarrassing fans that didn't recognize George Gervin and were asking him to take photos of Andrew Wiggins IIRC.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Zogobot is parsing the offseason in real-time

Rick posted:

Is there a place that has a good summary of moves of the day?

Here's a summary of the last 11,400+ posts.

-KD is old and injured and is going to be a shell of his former self in BKN in year 2022. New Yorkers get hoodwinked once again.

-LBJ is old and will sadly crater very soon etc. This will turn the Lakers into the Pelicans for most intents and purposes. AD will demand a trade to LAC.

-Kawhi is a traitor and an eldritch witch and sold his soul to play under an evil-mega-billionaire worth FIFTY BILLION (and growing). And only signed for two years.

-Warriors are burnt out like a car with 500,000 miles on it and ready to explode. Look for Curry and Green to be "injured" or take super long vacations AKA "load management." Kerr may disappear too with headaches/back pain again and leave Mike Brown in charge of this fiasco of a team.

-Congratulations to the Jazz and Bucks winning their 2020 conferences! Gobert vs. Giannis: a battle of titans. A classic case of unstoppable force vs. immovable object. TALL is back.

-Bulls look like they have a decent shot at finishing #28 or #29 this year. Look for GarPax and Jim Boylen to make strange and nonsensical epistemological sayings throughout the year about their players AKA nothing to do with actual basketball e.g. "Ryan Arcidiacono has a brain and a soul and a chakra."

-All thirty owners/governors/prime ministers? will make hundreds of millions more American dollars but act like they're not. They will continue to change their titles to try and trick the general public. AND they will charge $35 or $45 dollars for a hot dog etc.

-A few other hundred transactions took place but they're mostly trashmen so it's not of much consequence. When the local sanitary dump hires a new employee they don't report it on Twitter...

Also, Twitter sucks. There are like 1,000+ dead NBA Twitter links over the last few hundred pages here. And the only prescient Tweet is about Uncle Dennis liking LAC and their dipping sauces. So many liars and conmen on that site. It's just like a few weeks ago when Trump tweeted out that Meghan Markle was "a nasty stank booty ho!" and then he deleted it and predictably posted the next day "I never said that!" Shut down Twitter permanently IMHO and donate all the hardware to poor children so they can cure cancer etc. And fine everyone with a blue checkmark who's lied at least $1,000 USD.

PS Stephen A. Smith is a bad actor and should have his Oscars taken away. Dude has tens of millions of US dollars and is putting on some of the cheapest/most fraudulent misery acting in recent history. Reminds me of Lord Haw-Haw or other junky WWII-era propagandists. I suppose that's the vast, vast majority of TV nowadays anyway.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm sure that you could whip up something with enough time analyzing champions. They do tend to have deep rosters, with a few exceptions ( the later heat championship, maybe the later lakers one?)

You can also hit some circular logic, they have depth because these marginal guys played well enough to win when it mattered.

Maybe zogo's looked at it through gmsc

Depth does get mentioned a lot although it's more important in the regular season to eat minutes. Particularly having players good enough so that the stars can rest in the fourth quarter and not relinquish a lead.

In some respects teams from the 1960s and 1980s looked like they had more depth and more balance but now it's even less that way. As just one example the last time a team had six guys with 1,000+ points was the 1991 Celtics.

Roster continuity is important.

monkeu posted:

Remember how this was a write-off season for the warriors and the dynasty was dead like a week or two ago? The west is wide open? All this nonsense about the team with an injury prone big and a washed up dude who didn’t even make the playoffs last year being the favorites now?

Apparently in this crazy parallel universe some other team must have Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond green and now DLo?! Warriors are back in the finals six times in a row, book it.

:rip: for the fifth? time.

zapplez posted:

...I think its going to be Lakers winning absolutely unless AD or LBJ go down during the playoffs. gently caress, I'd bet my house on it.

:vince:

Poque posted:

Arby's horsey sauce was definitely on the table

The latest inside sources say that Uncle Dennis prefers McDonald's Signature Sauce.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Butler was instrumental in the Sixers post season success, but I like Gordon and Tucker on that team too. I’m not sure that’s that significant of a downgrade. PJ is getting old but he fits in defensively and can hit corner 3s consistently, and Gordon was like second in 3PA last postseason wasn’t he? Anyways Horford should sign with the Kings.

code:
3PA/G	Player
12.45	James Harden
11.09	Stephen Curry
9.87	Damian Lillard
9.4	Paul George
8.63	Eric Gordon

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I'm already ready to mark the sixers down for missing the playoffs in Zogos poll

I'm thinking of leaving LAL and GSW off. To get all sixteen playoff teams correct one must make at least 2-3 boldly counter-intuitive decisions.

BWV posted:

Getting rid of Whiteside is a net positive. Unsure why Portland wants him.

mcmagic posted:

I still can't believe out of all the options he had, KD chose to play for a bottom 3 franchise in the NBA with a unreliable crazy person and Deandre Jordan who was done 2 years ago lol.

Whiteside and DAJ both seem like they can still be productive.

iamsosmrt posted:

KD's return would obviously make a huge impact in a year...

I'm skeptical that it'll be huge. He's already been on the decline (still one of the best in the league) for a few years now.

I'm a little interested to see what Curry will do. If he can revert to having another amazing scoring season from 3P range (like 2016) or if he's burnt-out.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Has there every been an off screen even half as close to the amazing nature of this one?

For a few years I've read stuff about PG-13 and Kawhi both wanting to go to LA...and now they did. I think back to the 1995 off-season. Bulls adding the final pieces to build their superteam:

-Randy Brown
-Jason Caffey
-James Edwards
-Jack Haley
-Dennis Rodman

Earth shaking, big time moves. No team is going to win 70+ next season IMO.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I have never seen a fanbase misspell their own players name more frequently than Raptors fans and Siakam

I've seen people not capitalize the B in LeBron thousands of times. Also, leaving out the the middle i in Ginobili.

'Lebron James'
'Manu Ginobli'

:eyepop:

Aye Doc posted:

reading back through early FA responses and boy, this one aged well:

Reading through last years rage about the Raptors and Ujiri hiring Nick Nurse is interesting.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

big boi posted:

Teaming up with an all-time great who, while at the end of his prime, perfectly complements your game? That's not a winning mentality

"End of his prime" is a very optimistic way to put it. Looking at the numbers he's on a hard downslope.

The B_36 posted:

Lebron and AD surrounded by whatever makes you a contender.

Over the last few hundred pages many have said that Butler and Dragic are too old with a lot of miles while neglecting to mention that LBJ has way, way more miles than both of them combined (and is also older).

The Lakers will have a ghastly RC% and possibly horrendous 3P shooting. Two major strikes against contention. LBJ is one mistake away from a catastrophic injury that turns him into a sad old man. None of this engenders much confidence. I'm skeptical they'll cruise to a title as the 7 or 8 seed.

PS How many wins do you think LAL will have?

euphronius posted:

4/52 is cheap as hell

Yes, seems like Brook Lopez took a discount.

OTOH,

If he can hit 40-foot shots all the time this is okay.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

everyone in OKC gonna have to cancel their Sunday plans now

https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1147432365448282112?s=19

Shame upon PG-13 and Gatorade forevermore.

DeimosRising posted:

They won the championship in 1970! You nincompoop!

1969 going by their elo rating at least.

Cuban has been dispensing advice to plebeians for a long time. He just made a critical logic error.

R.D. Mangles posted:

ballmer just needed to get kawhi in a room so he could close with the sales technique that made microsoft an unstoppable tech juggernaut: sweatily gyrating and screaming at the top of his lungs.

The db level that emanates from Ballmer is unnaturally powerful.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Drunk Canuck posted:

Actually with the Kings/Lakers/Pelicans being way better now I kinda agree that the Rockets might be in trouble.

IF Daryl Morey can turn RW into a 40%+ 3P shooter things would be better.

jackofarcades posted:

Lakers gonna coast / load manage to the 6th seed and get bounced in the first round by the Jazz. then AD bolts

Rendition of Lakers fan pandemonium:

generic one posted:

I realize you’re making an attempt at a joke, but, really, around two thirds of available free agents signed with another team, and there were a number of huge trades on top of that action. It’s been pretty nuts.

I'm 100% serious that agencies know superfluous information before news organizations. The US (and a few allies) are effectively spying on the entire planet (and even leaders of most other countries). They know everything the NBA free agents/celebrities have said for years in text, voice and any app.

It just won't be disseminated too often because those who do will get fired immediately.

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, Imagine being Westbrook right now

He's going to steal Harden's shots.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bill Russell: 11 titles in 13 years.
Joey Chestnut: 12 titles in 15 years.

triple sulk posted:

the east is wide loving open holy poo poo

leftist heap posted:

The league seems more open than ever before next season.

In a way it seems that way but it's always illusory. MIL and Giannis should be absolutely dominant next year and I'm sure within the west the hierarchy will be established very quickly.

NickRoweFillea posted:

If Kawhi [went] to the Lakers, what does that team even look like

It would've been beautiful. The most versatile and dominant frontcourt ever. Especially if LBJ was ten years younger.

DeimosRising posted:

What LeBron numbers declined last year besides his WS? Because the actual components seem pretty static from previous years and in line with his career numbers, except his drtg which, well.

His WS/48 dropping coupled with playing a lot less minutes is the red flag. MJJs assist/rebound numbers were hovering around his career averages when he was on the Wizards but everyone knew he wasn't close to being the Bulls Jordan.

Also, the sheer number of NBA minutes he's accrued and 10,000+ playoff minutes. Basically only Karl Malone and Kareem have a significant lead over him in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Has there ever been an NBA season or any season in American pro sports where both teams in the prior season's finals didn't make the playoffs that year?

That's never happened in the NBA or ABA. But it's happened in other sports.

If KD met with Vlade the conversation would go like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQ1GLajGCU

Too short a body of work to warrant that IMO.

DC Murderverse posted:

this would be a good bet for the preseason survey:

Who stays on their current team longer:
Bradley Beal or Russell Westbrook?

I guess this one has been nullified.