Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I was pretty disappointed in Annihilation, personally. It went out of its way to beat you over the head with the cancer metaphor and they got rid of the best part of that book.

But everybody talked about the Bear when the guy in the pool was a thousand times scarier, sheeeeeeeeit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Tongues posted:

The Borderlands is alternatively titled Final Prayer

Yeah that was an accident. I meant to type in something other than The Borderlands, and now I've totally forgotten what it was. Between that and completely misremembering the ending for A Quiet Place I'm having my own little "Can I even trust my own mind" psychological thriller playing out right here in the living room tonight.

Labes for days posted:

I was pretty disappointed in Annihilation, personally.

Yeah. The love that one gets, as well as Hereditary and It Follows I just don't understand. I mean get that none of them are terrible, but to me they just feel so bland and forgettable that they don't make an impression in a good or a bad way. But my brain's all busted, so I'm probably wrong.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Frankenstyle posted:

Okay, thread has done great so far between The Endless, Resolution, and Coherence. So what should I go with tonight, Mandy, Final Prayer, or The Borderlands?

Oh. And people keep mentioning The Triangle (not Triangle) but I've found three movies by that name. Is it the one about the Bermuda triangle with Liam Hemsworth, the one about the Bermuda triangle with Eric Stoltz, or the one about some cult?

Watch Don't Breath and/or Green Room

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Annihilation had some cool effects but god drat was the premise weak. It felt like a bad rip-off of Roadside Picnic (I was surprised it was based off a book and not some hackneyed attempt at plagiarism) and the robot and the bear came out of nowhere and, in case of the latter, felt like a meaningless jump scare.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Mandy is the loving ticket, Frank.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The psychologist leader of the group in Annihilation is such a bad actress with terrible plastic surgery that it was extremely distracting

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
If you're still posting OP, I challenge you to a mental agility fight with SuperMechaGodzilla

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

kazr posted:

Green Room

That part with Anton Yelchin and the door was one of the most horrific things I've seen in a long time. I feel dumb for not seeing where it was going immediately, but the shock of seeing his sliced up, mangled arm really knocked the wind out of me.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Bug is real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyPRoDLiHac

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Now that looks like an awesome movie.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Labes for days posted:

I was pretty disappointed in Annihilation, personally. It went out of its way to beat you over the head with the cancer metaphor and they got rid of the best part of that book.

But everybody talked about the Bear when the guy in the pool was a thousand times scarier, sheeeeeeeeit.

Yeah, too much obvious exposition and not enough faith in the audience, it tried so hard to walk that sci-fi mysticism line but its script was too on the nose. Some terrifying scenes and effective visuals, but the cinematography and imagery were working on a higher level while the script was stuck on slop level.

It really fails especially in comparison with Arrival which came out around the same time and was far beyond it in quality and metaphor.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just saw The Perfection on Netflix

It was okay. I'm glad I watched it just for the unusual narrative structure choice. The first 40 minutes was a bit of an uneasy slog, but in the end I think it worked well enough.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I felt disappointed by It Follows. I feel like I can leave hype at the door but I was expecting something good and scary but was underwhelmed by most of the film. Maybe the actors were too good at portraying dumb shifty teens, or maybe the stylistic updates to the slasher monster weren't enough to spark my interest.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Punk da Bundo posted:

lol the monster in the ritual reminds me of a Spurdo

Spurdo more like Spewdo, right?

I mean I haven’t seen it or anything, but Spew is a great onomatopoeia.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mooey Cow posted:

The monster from Oculus is a big evil mirror that makes people go insane and eats dogs, and it plays on our universal human fear of being made insane by a big evil mirror that eats our dogs.

God blessed film scars my brain as I watch it three separate times never the whole movie at one go. The three dead people watching the assumed crazy boy carried away to an hospital really scared me at a gut level. Some posters here know me, which explains my fear of being institutionalized over hallucinations chokes me up.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just watched Suicide Theory on Amazon Prime. While it's not straight up horror, it hits upon a lot of the "cultural anxieties in horror" themes of this thread

God drat, this was a winner for me.

Somebody else watch this and tell me what you think. If you want a summary of the first act to get you intrigued, here you go A hitman is trying to do a job but argues with the cabbie because he wants to go across the street, but is paranoid of crossing on foot. Just then a body lands on the cab, having jumped from a tall building. A while later the guy who jumped hires the hitman to kill him, explaining that he is somehow prevented from dying by suicide. The hitman tries to kill him several times, which inexplicably fails. They try to work out the logic of his immortality so the hitman can kill him "within the rules." A dark buddy comedy ensues

Honestly the ending act "twists" were pretty predictable, but I still loved watching it unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I've got some time to kill this afternoon and it's drat hot out, I might go see the new Annabelle