Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What do you all think about the theory

that Pele targeted Dani from the begining and that he either worked with Dani sister to kill the family or he himself did it. people I read saying this theory say that in the parents bedroom is a photo of Dani with flowers near the frame of the photo.

Its plausible but definitely makes the film way less interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Why did the film linger/focus on Josh sneakers in the scene where he is laying down in the bed?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Why did the film linger/focus on Josh sneakers in the scene where he is laying down in the bed?

To set up that he was planning to sneak out

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

To set up that he was planning to sneak out

Oh that makes sense!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am super disappointed they brought up the pubic hair in conversation because the glass of juice was both subtle and brilliantly shot to slowly catch the viewers attention and I wish he had kept the confidence to trust the audience to pick up on the hints

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am super disappointed they brought up the pubic hair in conversation because the glass of juice was both subtle and brilliantly shot to slowly catch the viewers attention and I wish he had kept the confidence to trust the audience to pick up on the hints

I’m not because “I think I ate one of her pubic hairs” is absolutely one of the best line readings in the movie

I’ll be honest, I liked this movie a LOT less than Hereditary and think it’s pretty flawed, but it’s flawed in an interesting way at least and well worth seeing on the big screen. Still all in for whatever Aster does next even if I think this could’ve used another once over.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 5, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’m not because “I think I ate one of her pubic hairs” is absolutely one of the best line readings in the movie

I am fond of

Are you not going to talk about that there's a bear?

There's a bear

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’ll be honest, I liked this movie a LOT less than Hereditary and think it’s pretty flawed, but it’s flawed in an interesting way at least and well worth seeing on the big screen. Still all in for whatever Aster does next even if I think this could’ve used another once over.

I think I prefer Midsommar as a movie but Hereditary as an experience, if that makes sense.

Hereditary had the best second act in any film I have ever seen but the third act was far too unambiguous when I thought it should have been less clear.

Midsommar doesnt hit the same highs, but in terms of tone and pacing it's far more masterfully constructed

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah there’s absolutely a lot to admire about Midsommar but the only part that came close to hitting me with the same visceral impact as Hereditary is the extended pre-title sequence - which is both the part of the movie that feels most similar to Hereditary and the part I’ve seen the most people saying should’ve been cut for running time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the part I’ve seen the most people saying should’ve been cut for running time.

Who the gently caress is saying that. Kill those people

Speaking of that opening, I also feel like Aster casts his leads exclusively on their ability to express trauma authentically. Like, auditioning for him must be exhausting.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yup, definitely agree. I guess people wanted it to also go the Hereditary route of things occuring due to a plan.

The cult in general didn't seem like it had any real reach or malice. They have their rituals and I am sure they really want them to go off right but I didn't ever get any indication that if everything had gone wrong they'd do much more than go "aw, nuts" mark it as unfavorable and try again next time. Like almost everything went so well for them, but there was never an indication they had any far reaching or supernatural power to make that happen, they just kinda had things go their way mundanely.

Like with the fish, they asked her to, told her she had to, then sorta manhandled her to do it, but that was it, she spit it out and they moved on, their tradition says that is bad luck for the year or whatever and they tried their best to get it to work, but with limits. If they couldn't get enough people or the right people it feels way more like they'd have asked their exchange students to try harder, then to lie more, but if no one came it seems like they'd use a goat or something and accept their ancestors and the stars were displeased with them and maybe do some atonement or something and promise to do it better next time.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

This movie was great! Funny and unsettling.

Most women have been with a Christian and several of the instances of blatant emotional abuse made me gasp. Agreed with the poster who said that people who have strong negative reactions to the movie might have some issues they're unwilling to address.

I liked how they made it very clear that this was Dani's story. The obvious lies by the cultists were smoothed over by drugs for the other visitors but were just sort of an escalation of her existing relationships. The sound of others in conversation fades in and out while the focus is on her reactions. Her boundaries are constantly violated in increasingly odd ways.

Pelle was an interesting character. Obviously the 9 person house burning ritual happens more than every ninety years, because his parents were sacrifices. Whether or not they were outsiders or internal volunteers isn't really clear. His sister that he says was born on the same day seems to me to be someone whose relatives were also sacrificed (or she was the May Queen that year), rather than an actual blood relation to Pelle. I do think the framed picture of Dani being topped with flowers in her dead parents' bedroom is more an Easter egg for the audience than evidence of a conspiracy to bring her to the village. I would like to see a screenshot of the table Pelle was drawing at Christian's (?) apartment.

Donovan Trip posted:

If you want to make a baby stop crying, cry with it
This reminds me, I don't think we hear the baby crying anymore after the communal grief session in the dorm, right? Was the continuous crying (after the first close up of the cradle, people holding the baby and the scissors under the pillow) even actually happening, or just Dani's internal anguish?

Dani's outfit at the end of the movie made her look like a bizarro version of Nashandra.

On Hereditary being frightening: the parts of that film that made me grip the armrests and say "oh my God" out loud in the theater were all in the first two acts. The last part is nuts, but the violence and gore are nothing compared to the emotional torture the family members inflict upon one another. Midsommar is the same. the ol' blood eagle is funny compared to the "I didn't remind him" mind fuckery

P_T_S fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 5, 2019

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah there’s absolutely a lot to admire about Midsommar but the only part that came close to hitting me with the same visceral impact as Hereditary is the extended pre-title sequence - which is both the part of the movie that feels most similar to Hereditary and the part I’ve seen the most people saying should’ve been cut for running time.
What? There is no movie without setting up the unbearable pain she is experiencing throughout the entire story. It’s like a little tale of relief for Dani as she finds a community that is willing to share her grief with her and show that death isn’t even a tragedy. All of the Swedes deaths were suicides, and you couldn’t have a starker contrast than those deaths vs the lingering shot of her family.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

What? There is no movie without setting up the unbearable pain she is experiencing throughout the entire story. It’s like a little tale of relief for Dani as she finds a community that is willing to share her grief with her and show that death isn’t even a tragedy. All of the Swedes deaths were suicides, and you couldn’t have a starker contrast than those deaths vs the lingering shot of her family.

The argument I’ve seen from a couple people is that if you grant the premise that the movie is way too long and something needed to be cut, the material covered by the, what, twenty minute pre-title scene could’ve been covered in like a five minute flashback with little change to the rest of the movie.

I do agree that the movie probably needed to cut some stuff, I just don’t agree that that’s the material to cut, both because it was some of the material that worked best for me and because as far as gimmicks go I love a long pre-title sequence

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The argument I’ve seen from a couple people is that if you grant the premise that the movie is way too long and something needed to be cut, the material covered by the, what, twenty minute pre-title scene could’ve been covered in like a five minute flashback with little change to the rest of the movie.

I do agree that the movie probably needed to cut some stuff, I just don’t agree that that’s the material to cut, both because it was some of the material that worked best for me and because as far as gimmicks go I love a long pre-title sequence
It would be the last material I would cut. It’s absolutely the rawest exposition of grief I’ve ever experienced in any art form.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

I think the length of the movie is part of what made it so unsettling. You know what's going to happen and that it's going to be weird and awful. Waiting for the other shoe to drop is part of the experience.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

tonedef131 posted:

It would be the last material I would cut. It’s absolutely the rawest exposition of grief I’ve ever experienced in any art form.

I agree. It doesn't just set up the grief, but the progression of Christian from semi-caring boyfriend to completely detached robotic boyfriend is important.

The way they portrayed the "your grief is an annoying burden to me" partner is very accurate and real.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That scene doesn't only set up the grief, it's the entire setup to how terrible Dani and Christian's relationship is!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

That scene doesn't only set up the grief, it's the entire setup to how terrible Dani and Christian's relationship is!

To be fair they hammer that particular nail a LOT over the running time

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

To be fair they hammer that particular nail a LOT over the running time

Yeah but I think it's important that he should've broken up with her like a year prior to the murder-suicide and now he's still with her six months later because of that situation.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The only scene I could have seen being cut is Josh in the temple. It was a disturbing image but that kinda didn’t fit the rest of the movie. They didn’t show anyone else’s murders and looking back seems a little out of place.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If you're gunna cut anything just cut down on some of the shots/coverage in the festivals..there's a ton of holding on the characters and then cutting back to a wide shot to sell them reacting to things out of their cultural depth..which is great and all but if we're cutting for time could be trimmed here and there. I wouldn't cut any actual scene..

That title sequence/opener was incredible and the best part of the movie for me (other than the last shot)...that push into the snow and then titles..just stunning. Dead rear end silence in my theater.

I've been telling people it's wicker man, hostel and euro trip mashed up, and I stand by that.

I'd watch it again on netflix just to pay attention to all the early dialouge, I feel like every line of peles has double/sinister meaning once you know.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone who wants to cut the movie should be given the blood eagle

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

tonedef131 posted:

The only scene I could have seen being cut is Josh in the temple. It was a disturbing image but that kinda didn’t fit the rest of the movie. They didn’t show anyone else’s murders and looking back seems a little out of place.

That scene confused me a little because I didn't understand who/why someone was wearing the other guy's skin and why they reported the book being stolen afterwards (Josh was just taking pictures of it?). Like okay yeah "skin the fool" that's creepy but it didn't seem to serve any particular purpose other than to be disturbing like you said. They could have established that the guy was skinned in the last ritual anyway when they showed all the different corpse preparations. I guess it's a little odd to be angry about creepy shots and events in my horror film but I felt like all the other ones served a narrative purpose.

Also does anyone know if there was any particular rhyme or reason as to which two cultists "volunteered" for the last ritual? Why Ingmar, and who was the other guy? I thought maybe because Ingmar hosed up and his guests upset the attestupa, but I thought that was already paid for by those guests- unless both need to pay for transgressions. That's why Pele was "honored for his wisdom" while Ingmar burned, maybe? But Pele did bring tree pisser.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 5, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think if you’re gonna make a 2 and a half hour movie you need more than one three dimensional character

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think if you’re gonna make a 2 and a half hour movie you need more than one three dimensional character

apparently almost 4 hours before we saw it...which is like..what??? i know there's like 3-4 things in the trailer we don't see in the film

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

Also does anyone know if there was any particular rhyme or reason as to which two cultists "volunteered" for the last ritual? Why Ingmar, and who was the other guy? I thought maybe because Ingmar hosed up and his guests upset the attestupa, but I thought that was already paid for by those guests- unless both need to pay for transgressions. That's why Pele was "honored for his wisdom" while Ingmar burned, maybe? But Pele did bring tree pisser.
Death is not a penalty in Harga.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am going to say again that I really do think a lot of people viewed christian as a second protagonist and had any actual meaning or themes to this movie kinda go over their head. Like not claiming anyone that disliked this movie for any reason is a sexist or whatever, but there is a clear feeling I have heard a lot of conversations about this movie from people that viewed christian as fundamentally sympathetic and brush dani off as being "kinda bitchy" in a horror movie character way. Like in this movie mark is acting like a typical horror movie idiot but I get a feeling that some people watched this movie like everyone in it was that and viewed dani and christian's behavior as basically random and stupid and didn't see them as having any sort of progression or theme or reason to why they did things. Like you would cut that stuff setting up their relationship because that wasn't a big part of the movie in their version of the movie through the lens they viewed it in.

like I have seen suggestion from people that the whole depth of why she picked him at the end over a stranger is that he had cheated on her and that's it. no big arc spanning the whole movie and her whole character, no running themes of belonging vs alienation, just "she saw him cheating and she got revenge" and in that movie of course you'd cut all the useless scenes with emotional stuff

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am going to say again that I really do think a lot of people viewed christian as a second protagonist and had any actual meaning or themes to this movie kinda go over their head. Like not claiming anyone that disliked this movie for any reason is a sexist or whatever, but there is a clear feeling I have heard a lot of conversations about this movie from people that viewed christian as fundamentally sympathetic and brush dani off as being "kinda bitchy" in a horror movie character way. Like in this movie mark is acting like a typical horror movie idiot but I get a feeling that some people watched this movie like everyone in it was that and viewed dani and christian's behavior as basically random and stupid and didn't see them as having any sort of progression or theme or reason to why they did things. Like you would cut that stuff setting up their relationship because that wasn't a big part of the movie in their version of the movie through the lens they viewed it in.

like I have seen suggestion from people that the whole depth of why she picked him at the end over a stranger is that he had cheated on her and that's it. no big arc spanning the whole movie and her whole character, no running themes of belonging vs alienation, just "she saw him cheating and she got revenge" and in that movie of course you'd cut all the useless scenes with emotional stuff

I actually think the movie might’ve been more interesting/had more tension if the boyfriend character wasn’t just a one dimensional piece of poo poo. As it is, he has literally zero sympathetic characteristics so there’s not a lot of tension regarding Dani’s choice at the end, and the relationship drama as a whole feels like it could’ve been more interesting with a bit more give and take.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

This was the first movie I've seen in a long time where I didn't get up to take a piss. There was never a safe time to do it and not miss anything, and I didn't feel that two and a half hours go by at all. Wanna see that extended cut.

What struck me, aside from the visuals because goddamn is this a pretty movie, is how well the movie marries pitch-black comedy and horror elements. I can't remember the last time I saw something that set up its tone so effectively that by the end I'm watching a dead-eyed Chris Pratt lookalike sewn up inside an adorable bearsuit and I'm thinking "This is fantastic." instead of thinking about the Wicker Man remake.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think the problem is that Christian is presented as far more sympathetic in the beginning than he is towards the end, and there are a few moments of whiplash that sort of make it feel like the movie is trying to get you to root against him

Like, the basic premise of a guy who feels morally obligated to support a woman he doesnt love anymore because he knows he is her only emotional support during the most traumatic time in her life even though its draining him emotionally and mentally. Like, the opening has Christian pretty sympathetic I think. He can break up with her because they both know the relationship isnt working, but also thereby abandoning her months after her entire family died and only furthering her sense of loss and isolation, or try to stay with her while its gradually draining him and turning him bitter so she has some semblance of something to hold on to. Its a pretty interesting moral quandary.

The problem is that by the end he is just ignoring her, loving over his friends, cheating on her, etc.

I would have liked if the film had stuck with Christian trying to do the right thing in a time when he has no idea what the right thing is

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I do think the character made the centerpiece of the pagan religious sect’s human sacrifice being named “Christian”, while a touch on the nose, is a good gag.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the problem is that Christian is presented as far more sympathetic in the beginning than he is towards the end, and there are a few moments of whiplash that sort of make it feel like the movie is trying to get you to root against him

Like, the basic premise of a guy who feels morally obligated to support a woman he doesnt love anymore because he knows he is her only emotional support during the most traumatic time in her life even though its draining him emotionally and mentally. Like, the opening has Christian pretty sympathetic I think. He can break up with her because they both know the relationship isnt working, but also thereby abandoning her months after her entire family died and only furthering her sense of loss and isolation, or try to stay with her while its gradually draining him and turning him bitter so she has some semblance of something to hold on to. Its a pretty interesting moral quandary.

The problem is that by the end he is just ignoring her, loving over his friends, cheating on her, etc.

I would have liked if the film had stuck with Christian trying to do the right thing in a time when he has no idea what the right thing is

I don't know if it counts as cheating when you're under the influence of a cult and heavily drugged

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

speaking of christian

I wonder if they had to have him eventually cover his junk with his hands to keep it from being NC-17. I would have loved if that whole scene of him running in terror just had his terrified dick flopping everywhere the whole time

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

turtlecrunch posted:

That scene confused me a little because I didn't understand who/why someone was wearing the other guy's skin and why they reported the book being stolen afterwards (Josh was just taking pictures of it?). Like okay yeah "skin the fool" that's creepy but it didn't seem to serve any particular purpose other than to be disturbing like you said. They could have established that the guy was skinned in the last ritual anyway when they showed all the different corpse preparations. I guess it's a little odd to be angry about creepy shots and events in my horror film but I felt like all the other ones served a narrative purpose.

They report the book as missing afterward because they need a plausible story for Christian and Dani as to why their friend is missing. The same thing happens with the British couple, except, in this case, Christian is too much of an idiot coward to realize Josh wouldn't run off with the book for his research.

Josh's death scene accomplishes a few things. First, it removes any ambiguity about his or Mark's fate. I think you would have some audience members believing Josh/Mark really did run off if they didn't show him getting whacked and the latter as a mask. Second, it further escalates the cult's weirdness. Someone mentioned it on an earlier page, but the audience can maaaaybe accept the ritual suicide as a kind of euthanasia as Christian and Josh do. Then, the audience gets told about the engineered incest, which is far more difficult to stomach. Then we get a scene of the cult committing an unambiguous murder, at which point it is impossible to pretend they are just a bunch of weird Swedish hippies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

One thing I didn’t quite catch from the ending: What was stuffed in Josh’s mouth? Was it the pages of the book?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lmbo at the people suggesting that if you didn't like the movie you may need to inspect yourself. I didn't like Christian because I thought the actor was flat out bad and every character aside from Dani was 1 dimensional, it's not because I'm a closet sexist. Having paper thin character arcs in a two and a half hour movie is what I expect from Marvel, not A24.

I'm excited to see if Ari tightens his focus on his third film OR goes full Shyamalan. It could go either way.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I got a very different sense of Christian. My interpretation was that Christian refuses to break up with Dani less out of a sense of obligation and more because he's a coward who hates confrontation. It's easier to continue on than it is to sever.

We see this throughout the first act of the movie. His friends talk about how he's wanted to break up with her for months before the accident but hasn't worked up the courage. He ostensibly does not tell Dani about his cool trip to Sweden so they don't have to have a conversation about it. When she confronts him about suddenly leaving the country, he accuses her of "attacking him" and emotionally bullies her into letting the issue drop. Then, so they don't have to talk about it again, he invites her along without checking with any of his friends first.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

I got a very different sense of Christian. My interpretation was that Christian refuses to break up with Dani less out of a sense of obligation and more because he's a coward who hates confrontation. It's easier to continue on than it is to sever.

100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

I mean, maybe I am projecting how I would feel in that situation but I dunno,

if he was afraid of confrontation he would not have immediately told Josh he was also doing his thesis on the village. It just would have never been brought up by him until he got caught. It also seems like if he is going for the path of least resistance, staying with an emotionally devastated woman would take way more effort than breaking up.

I read the whole thing about not telling her as him just being desperate to escape and knowing if he brought it up he would be an rear end in a top hat if he left her or didn't invite her. I didn't see it as avoiding a confrontation as much as being between two difficult choices: go and abandon her while she is still under crisis or bring her along and increase his personal sense of burden. Like I saw it as absolutely selfish, but certainly not malicious.

I will admit your interpretation is certainly more consistent with his behavior towards the end of the film, but again, maybe I am projecting. I had a girlfriend who was under crisis (not to that extent) and I found myself reflecting back onto the sense of obligation and frustration it evoked especially after it continued on for months.