Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

So if I didn't like Hereditary because the trailer sold me on a spooktastic ghost movie and what I got was a very long and gorgeous dysfunctional family drama with an insane final 20 minutes would I like this?

A friend of mine is trying to talk me into going tonight and it looks good. I just don't want it to be a repeat of Hereditary which left me more bored than anything

If you were bored during Hereditary you will probably fall asleep during this movie. Its very slow-paced and very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Reading all the script cuts, nothing really stands out as game changing and I'd prolly not bother with a directors cut version if that becomes a thing when this goes blu/VOD

At least now I know what the hell the floating feet shot in the trailer was about. Seems like a smart cut on his part for that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Len posted:

So if I didn't like Hereditary because the trailer sold me on a spooktastic ghost movie and what I got was a very long and gorgeous dysfunctional family drama with an insane final 20 minutes would I like this?

A friend of mine is trying to talk me into going tonight and it looks good. I just don't want it to be a repeat of Hereditary which left me more bored than anything

You are gonna hate it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Len posted:

There’s an Annabelle movie out

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So whenever the group finally makes it to the commune and one of the Elders welcomes them he says "welcome" to everyone except Dani, who he gets to last with "welcome home". It's a neat little bit of foreshadowing because you know it's telegraphing Dani's arc, which you could guess anyway, but nothing about how it's going to happen. A bit like a slasher movie showing you the killer's mode of murder long before it ever gets used. You're going to think about it the entire length of the movie now.

EDIT: Unfortunately the movie is not entirely safe if you're a misophonia sufferer. Theaters already suck for me because of the crowd noise of smacking popcorn, crinkling wrappers and people talking over the film. Dani sniffles loudly and often due to her panic attacks so if that's a trigger for you keep that in mind.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 6, 2019

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

A bit like a slasher movie showing you the killer's mode of murder long before it ever gets used. You're going to think about it the entire length of the movie now.

In Blow Out, the sound of John Lithgow absent mindedly pulling the garrote wire in and out of his wristwatch is heard prominently in the sounds the main character is recording at the very beginning of the film, long before you ever see Lithgow's character or understand the meaning of that sound.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

RCarr posted:

savage

my audience was pretty lame..one dude shouted DONT TRUST THEM, 15 minutes in..wish i didn't race out of there to piss so I coulda heard crowd murmurs on the way out.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Do yall think that distinct inhale-exhale noise was Ari Aster's attempt at recreating the iconic tongue-click from Hereditary?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

EDIT: Unfortunately the movie is not entirely safe if you're a misophonia sufferer. Theaters already suck for me because of the crowd noise of smacking popcorn, crinkling wrappers and people talking over the film.

I had no idea this was a thing, and I want to murder the one person that sneaks in a full shopping bag they need to rummage around in the entire movie, every single movie. Think I can bring an emotional support pet into flicks now?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I usually wait a couple weeks past opening weekend for hype to die down and bring earplugs. It really helps. Misophonia is functionally like having your auditory nerve short circuited to the fight-or-flight button in your lizard brain. Normal irritating stuff, like sniffling, ice crunching, lip smacking and so on goes from a minor irritation to instantaneous unbearable fury, pain and disgust. If you feel like you have to leave the room when someone pops gum before your inner ape takes over and makes you punch them in the teeth repeatedly, you have misophonia.

Edit: Sniffling loving killed me in undergrad because not a goddamn soul would ever blow their nose before, during or after class and just kept on sniffling every few seconds, but attendance was mandatory unless you wanted to auto-fail, so I had to sit and suffer for 4-6 hours a day learning nothing during college because no one knew or cared what misophonia was yet.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 6, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RCarr posted:

Also not my jam. Those movies are just generic haunted (thing)

It looks like I was outvoted and we'll probably go tonight. Maybe it won't be the same since I only found out about this movie today and I've since learned what kind of movies that company makes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Honestly you're probably going to hate it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I usually wait a couple weeks past opening weekend for hype to die down and bring earplugs. It really helps. Misophonia is functionally like having your auditory nerve short circuited to the fight-or-flight button in your lizard brain. Normal irritating stuff, like sniffling, ice crunching, lip smacking and so on goes from a minor irritation to instantaneous unbearable fury, pain and disgust. If you feel like you have to leave the room when someone pops gum before your inner ape takes over and makes you punch them in the teeth repeatedly, you have misophonia.

Edit: Sniffling loving killed me in undergrad because not a goddamn soul would ever blow their nose before, during or after class and just kept on sniffling every few seconds, but attendance was mandatory unless you wanted to auto-fail, so I had to sit and suffer for 4-6 hours a day learning nothing during college because no one knew or cared what misophonia was yet.

Nothing to that degree thankfully. Hopefully, the treatment for that is some sort of calming med like Xanax or just good ole weed cuz I got anxiety just reading your descriptions.

e: Was A quiet place like the best possible movie for you or even worse since silence would amplify peoples bullshit in a theater??

e2: also this has to be the fastest i've seen a movie become multiple memes, ever

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 6, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Infinity War had Spider-Man dying memes moments after the first screening got out.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I got lucky with A Quiet Place because everyone at my showing shut up immediately after the first death. Cool and Good. Most of this movie was great too, thanks in part to the eerie sound direction. I was ready to cringe whenever I saw them sit down to eat though. That communal dormitory? Forget it, I'd die of sleep deprivation.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 6, 2019

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I loved it! It's so rich and beautiful, and the dense symbolism in the background and wicked gore will make it great to re-watch. There are so many things I want a closer look at: the opening sequence, Josh's notebook, Pelle's drawings, Dani's apartment's art, the drawings on the Hårge buildings. It's also funny that the normally intriguing holy book is just finger painting and unreadable runes. I found the special effects on the flowers really amazing, although the "wobblevision" in other places didn't work quite as well.

I was not bothered by the "flat character" problem at all. The movie has several departures from Dani's viewpoint, so Christian does function as a stand-in protagonist and we definitely are not seeing him through her narrative lens. His motivations are not terribly complex, but he's that kind of person. He is fatally ambivalent about his relationship and can't land on a thesis until he is certain he has a winner. He is pretty sure the right thing is to stay with Dani, but this means fights he doesn't want to have and taking poo poo from Mark. His ambivalence continues to develop: he's both horrified by the ättestupa but it also solidifies the opportunity he has for his thesis and how he needs to steal from Josh. He's disgusted by Maja and drawn to her. I'm not sure how many more dimensions he needs before he becomes acceptable. His motivation is sympathetic, but he's also an rear end in a top hat.

Josh is curious, but we can also see he's studious and doesn't pile on when Mark is hounding Christian. Mark's transparent hedonism, lack of attention to what's around them and shallow observations work well in a "American in Europe" context.

I also think seeing Dani's sentencing of Christian and her smile at Christian's fate as 'revenge for cheating' is simplistic. What she hopes Christian will give her is the support she couldn't get from her family. In the pre-credits sequence, when Dani talks to her parents' answering machine, you don't get the feeling that her sister is living with them. That they're obviously not handling her descent into serious mental illness shows how adrift Dani is.

Now, we don't get a sense of where Dani and Christian's relationship's roots are, but it has been four years, and obviously she felt supported by him at some point. She holds out hope that he'll stick with her and ride in her awesome chariot, but she knows the relationship is deteriorating, too. Christian's ambivalence is plain to the audience, as is her denial of it due to her faith in him. The other May Queen encouraging her to exhale is chipping away at that faith, eventually escalating to shared burden of grief when she finally has incontrovertible evidence that support will never come from Christian. She can't choose a random cult member for the sacrifice because that's a part of her support system, now. Christian can't move and can't talk for her, either, so it's time to dispose of him.

There's more to this. Dani's dreams show that Dani thinks she's to blame for her sister, and her exhaling black smoke has something to do with all this, but I'm still processing it.

I was pretty sure he wasn't a one-and-done writer/director, but I'm relieved this was so good. I think it's very hard to follow up an impressive debut. Artists work so hard to get discovered, that their second-favorite project is rarely as good as the first. I'm also very impressed with Florence Pugh, who knocked that out of the park (at least we're all agreeing on that, it seems). She barely registered on my radar with "Fighting With My Family", but that's pretty poo poo source material to begin with.

bort fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 6, 2019

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Anyone notice the book on the guy's apartment coffee table was a blatant rune reference? Nazis loved runes and proto Scandinavian cultural items like that. I noticed that the traditional garb everyone wore had a rune or two centered by the neck, not that I could read any of it. The elder woman announcing everything had the same rune on her shirt that her little elder's cabin had on it handrails. Neat.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Len posted:

Also not my jam. Those movies are just generic haunted (thing)

It looks like I was outvoted and we'll probably go tonight. Maybe it won't be the same since I only found out about this movie today and I've since learned what kind of movies that company makes.

If you have access to shrooms take some before you go, you’ll love it! :unsmigghh:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Will Poulter freaking out about it being light out and asking everyone to lie down because he wants to lie down is the most accurate depiction of a bad trip ive ever seen

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Was there anything symbolic about Connie's body? I don't remember much about it, but all the others stand out. I don't see a reason for how Simon was trussed up, but do we get an idea how Connie died or anything?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bort posted:

Was there anything symbolic about Connie's body? I don't remember much about it, but all the others stand out. I don't see a reason for how Simon was trussed up, but do we get an idea how Connie died or anything?

simon was a blood eagle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_eagle .

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I get that, but I can't think of a character flaw in Simon that would precipitate a blood eagle. Mark is a fool and Josh had loose lips. But more importantly, what happened to Connie?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

bort posted:

I get that, but I can't think of a character flaw in Simon that would precipitate a blood eagle. Mark is a fool and Josh had loose lips. But more importantly, what happened to Connie?

Maybe his dramatic outburst at the attestupa was considered disrespectful. You hear Connie scream, but you don’t know if that was her finding Simon or her getting it herself. By the looks of her corpse in the wheelbarrow, I’d guess she was drowned or stored in water after a different method of murder.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

bort posted:

The only thing I can think of is that he tried to fly away at the first sign of danger, though that might be a stretch. From the cult's perspective, the only thing he did wrong was to try and disrupt the ättestupa ritual.

In the script, Connie discovers the cult dragging Simon's body through the forest and screams, which is why we have three separate scenes of characters reacting to screams.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hereditary was my favorite movie of last year and I really disliked this movie. I thought the visuals were really great, but in the end there's no meaningful conflict.

Christian wants to break up with Dani but just stays in.
His friends (mostly) don't want Dani to come but they let her.
Bunch of bad/creepy stuff happens and nobody reacts.
etc.

I agree with the thought of Christian as a pseudo protagonist but even when he finally realizes that poo poo is bad he isn't allowed to react, respond, or fight in any way. Dani's internal conflict/panic attacks felt like it was used entirely circumstantially and everything with her family was characterized so thinly that it was hard to feel like even in "finding"a family she was overcoming anything.

I'm sure there are lots of cool details all over the place that I missed, but I think the conflict thing is a pretty severe problem.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I just recalled what I was anticipating midway through the movie which was that the finale would include some kind of pharma-induced bliss where people were alive when they were being cut open and totally fine with it. Maybe even some self harm stuff that evoked the sister's suicide. It popped in my head and I kept thinking it would really, really fit with this compassionate self sacrifice motif that the villagers had with the elder sacrifice. I remembered because the drug use really didn't seem to payoff shy of Christian feeling compelled to father a baby. Even their so-called painless burning medicine didn't work as the burning people screamed in pain, which is sort of silly because they likely witnessed dozens of former villagers die in the fire and scream in pain through the years, which they echo in sympathetic pain screams as the crowd outside. So when they're in the hut being given painless meds, they might have been skeptical as to their efficacy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I was expecting someone to be cut open and stuffed with flowers while they were still alive, and also low-key hoping that Dani would be sacrificed, at which point she, as a spirit of nature, would wreak apocalyptic havoc on the commune, which wouldn't really fit the movie's themes but would've been fun to watch.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, even though I didn't like the Dani character per se, I did find her sympathetic and was dreading her becoming a sacrifice as May Queen (was expecting a "hey whatever happened to all the other May Queens, don't see 'em around" exchange) and relieved when she did not.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is a very well made film that, God willing, I will never watch again.

The opening is almost too much to the extent that it makes me question the ethics of springing something like that on people who may have suffered familial trauma. I haven't suffered an experience like that, but, that's something you should watch out for. Movies need trigger warnings.

As for the bulk of it- I think there's a structural problem, in that the movie has a HELL of a buildup but what it's building up to is... kinda what you expect from this kind of story? Like I hope it's not just that I'm so jaded that human sacrifices and weird sex rituals don't register but... well I've seen that story, I saw The Wicker Man. And yeah there's a lack of conflict/agency. Wicker Man (sorry, had to reference it again) plays with that by the protagonist playing into Summerisle's hands as everyone expected him to, and there's all sorts of sociological commentary in how things work out, here it's just... they accept an invitation and that's the last meaningful decision anyone makes.

It was intense, but by the end I kinda felt I'd been put through the wringer for no good reason. Like, is there a point to all this?

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 7, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Thought this was a "just ok" movie. Loved the set design, soundtrack, costumes; the plot and characters, meh. Same major problem for me as Hereditary, as has been brought up here, it didn't seem to matter at all what the characters did. Stuff just kept happening to them and everything was outside their control. Even the big pivotal scene at the end with Dani's choice didn't feel like it mattered much. Christian was probably doomed one way or another, bear sacrifice or not. Josh, Mark, Simon, and Connie did seal their fates with their active decisions, but they would have been killed one way or another so it didn't matter!

In the scene where the villagers are carrying Dani on the platform after she's made May Queen, I swear there was a big patch of trees in the background that was intentionally made to look like a face. Am I the one on shrooms?

Can't help comparing every A24 horror flick to The VVitch, which was masterful in how it built tension and pushed the story forward through a series of increasingly bad decisions and willful ignorance of the characters, all reflective of their own flaws.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I thought this movie had a much stronger thematic focus than Hereditary. It felt like a really strong film school script with how structured it was. The first scene of the movie lays out the main conflict of individuality vs. collectivism plainly when Dani and Christian commiserate with their respective friends. Christian's friends espouse a conventional modern individualism. In their view, individual needs should come first in a relationship. If a relationship prevents you from fulfilling your own needs (like sex or career advancement), then you should move on. On the other hand, Dani's friend believes in collective emotional experience. Relationship should be about sharing emotional experiences and working through the more difficult ones together. In my view, pretty much every conflict in the movie tracks with that, from the village's obvious belief in collective experience to Josh and Christian's struggle over collaborating (Josh views any attempt at depending on another person as "leeching", Christian wants the benefits of depending on others without putting in the actual work). At the end of the movie, Dani has to make an almost-too-plain binary choice of whether to embrace individualism or collectivism, and obviously she chooses collectivism. The villagers condemn Christian for his selfishness and that's that.

The movie does a good job of exploring some of the dimensions of this conflict. In a truly collective society individual comfort and even lives may be perceived as expendable, but the gains in emotional strength may be worth it.

I just wish this wasn't a horror movie. All the genre trappings felt predictable, flat, and perfunctory. I guess it needs to be a horror movie so that people can die, but it just felt like the paganism aspect was there to make the setting more alien, when the actual acting and writing could have carried it on its own. It would have worked better as a surreal, trippy movie rather than horror.

bort posted:

Flowers through the eyes. She saw too much.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 7, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

pospysyl posted:

The movie does a good job of exploring some of the dimensions of this conflict. In a truly collective society individual comfort and even lives may be perceived as expendable, but the gains in emotional strength may be worth it.

I think the problem there is individual sacrifice requires some kind of informed consent. It's all well and good for the village elders to agree that their time is up and throw themselves off a cliff, but you can't demand that kind of sacrifice from people who had no idea what was going on nor had any way of anticipating that this sort of thing might be asked of them. Oh, and you can't say no either or they'll kill you anyway.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

pospysyl posted:

I just wish this wasn't a horror movie. All the genre trappings felt predictable, flat, and perfunctory. I guess it needs to be a horror movie so that people can die, but it just felt like the paganism aspect was there to make the setting more alien, when the actual acting and writing could have carried it on its own. It would have worked better as a surreal, trippy movie rather than horror.
It’s almost like Aster had a breakup, then took a bunch of mushrooms and binge watched British movies from 1973. When he came down he wrote a hybrid script of Don’t Look Now and The Wicker Man, but had to add the skinning and blood eagle elements so it could be sold as a modern horror.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The horror elements also kind of didn't really do much for me. I liked the cliff scene, which reminded me a lot of the one in Songs from the Second Floor by way of, like, Lars von Trier, but the blood eagle was (besides being done better on Hannibal) just kind of...there? The only other bits I can recall are the guy getting bonked on the head and the face in the bathroom, and I guess the ending, but I wouldn't really call that scary.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the problem there is individual sacrifice requires some kind of informed consent. It's all well and good for the village elders to agree that their time is up and throw themselves off a cliff, but you can't demand that kind of sacrifice from people who had no idea what was going on nor had any way of anticipating that this sort of thing might be asked of them. Oh, and you can't say no either or they'll kill you anyway.

That was indelicately phrased on my part. I think the movie's exploring that tension rather than deciding it one way or another. Dani concludes that the emotional gains are worth it, but I doubt any of the people who were killed feel the same way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The horror elements also kind of didn't really do much for me. I liked the cliff scene, which reminded me a lot of the one in Songs from the Second Floor by way of, like, Lars von Trier, but the blood eagle was (besides being done better on Hannibal) just kind of...there? The only other bits I can recall are the guy getting bonked on the head and the face in the bathroom, and I guess the ending, but I wouldn't really call that scary.

This may be the root of my issue- it feels like it's really building to something horrific, but the actual horror elements, when revealed, fall kinda flat.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There was the inbred kid wearing Mark's skin. I wonder if Aster thought that was a unique horror image, because man, Texas Chainsaw Massacre was made 45 years ago. Maybe it's a reference, but then to what end?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

pospysyl posted:

There was the inbred kid wearing Mark's skin. I wonder if Aster thought that was a unique horror image, because man, Texas Chainsaw Massacre was made 45 years ago. Maybe it's a reference, but then to what end?

It wasn't the inbred kid, it was the guy who got mad at Mark for peeing on the tree.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Heavy Tusk vibes from this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

a new study bible! posted:

Heavy Tusk vibes from this film.

I mean I have my issues but let's not say anything we can't take back