Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

We've all probably been poor at some point in our lives. And we all find ways to try and survive in those circumstances. Especially if, like me, you live in the USA and you're essentially hosed if you lose your job for any extended period of time.

When I was laid off from my last job I'd just go to Sam's Club and make my lunch from the free samples they gave out. If I could eat enough that would also count as a dinner. This habit has still kind of stuck with me and my wife and I will plan shopping trips around free samples to save having to make a meal.

I'd also buy the cheapest possible protein at the grocery store, mix it with rice, and make a week's worth of meals in one sitting for a few cents a meal.

In college I volunteered for every single experiment the psychology department offered. You'd usually make between 10 and 20 bucks for an hour of work, and a few times they had pizza or sandwiches available when you got there.

I also went to every single club meeting that advertised free food. College Republicans? Yeah I'll listen to your bullshit for a few minutes to get a free sandwich. Anime club? Yeah sure I like Goku, give me some tacos.

One more college thing - didn't buy any of the books that were "required", just went to the library and scanned the books. My college gave us something like 2000 pages we could print for free each semester and I used every single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Everything I do every day because I'm poor lol

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
For dinner, I went to bed.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
eat little caesars hot n ready

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
avoided going to the doctor to get basic essential healthcare because I couldn't afford it :911:

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

gey muckle mowser posted:

avoided going to the doctor to get basic essential healthcare because I couldn't afford it :911:

well if you're still alive it must not have been essential

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Not eat for 2 days and end up really unwell

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Stole a razor so I could shave for a job interview.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Buy a packet of smokes and a box of wine, then worry about what I'll eat and use for public transport money for the next 2 weeks.

Feeling good/self care comes first.

gey muckle mowser posted:

This but dentists (medicare doesnt cover dentists) And decades later I'm still paying for it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 19, 2019

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
If I ever get time iny life to produce it I would make a webcomic about being poor.

Here's a few

- using an extremely tiny corner of a paper towel to clean up something
- using dollar store plastic tablecloths to cover windows
- using dollar store cleaners which no human being should do
- fighting a sibling for food
- using an old newspaper as a bathmat

Also did all.the free food at clubs thing in college. And Costco samples as lunch (pbuc). Nowadays we don't print books we camscan them. Thank God for camscan.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Donated plasma

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sid Vicious posted:

Everything I do every day because I'm poor lol

Same. :hfive:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Long ago when I was in college, I decided to save money by declining the meal plan. Being a super-responsible 18 year-old, I quickly spent most of my meal allowance that I had saved on beer and stupidity. This led to me subsisting off of ramen noodles, a jumbo box of twizzlers and peanut butter for about half a semester.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

This is one of those threads that will make me realize that i only thought I was poor because I lacked perspective on what poverty really is.

I mean. I didn’t have money for nice things or fun stuff but I always was well enough off for basics.

Alas it’s the guillotine for me

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
I would have some friends over to watch TV and hang out but after they left instead of emptying the ashtrays in the trash I went through them and pulled out the better butts and broke them up and rolled cigarettes out of them so I could have smokes even though I didn't have any money.

Back in the early 90's Taco Bell tacos were like 69 cents so I ate a lot of them, same with 99 cent Whoppers.

I drove without a license or insurance for two or three years with all stickers on my car expired. I just learned how to spot cop cars a mile away and made strategies to avoid them. I tried to drive a lot at night so the stickers wouldn't be as obvious to law enforcement.

I was working at an ice cream shop so I ate ice cream every day for dinner to save money.

After moving out of my parents house I didn't have cable TV for 8 years. To this day I am still going back and watching TV shows from the 90's because I pretty much missed all of them the first time around. Same with movies but I managed to keep up with CD music (until Napster).

There was a bar called the Loose Caboose that had 50 cent beers and 3 dollar pitchers, it became my favorite hang-out.

I didn't go to the dentist for almost 10 years.

Anyway, I'm not poor anymore but those were interesting times.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Definitely guilty of skipping the dentist for a few years

Took jobs on oDesk for like $4 an hour

In hindsight it wasn't as bad as it could have been, or even as bad as some of the other posters have/had it, but even tasting a little bit made me appreciate having a steady job and a decent paycheck a lot more.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
stole beer from a gas station (not at gunpoint)

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Paid for a 1.75 of cheap vodka with a Ziploc bag full of nickels.
Lived almost exclusively on pinto beans, rice and tap water for a few months.
Drove around unregistered for nearly a year because I couldn't afford the back taxes. Couldn't afford the registration fee either at the time.
May or may not have sucked a few dicks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
one time i didnt have any plates or bowls so i used a quality street tin to eat all my meals

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I work at a job because I am poor.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Space Race Riot posted:

Paid for a 1.75 of cheap vodka with a Ziploc bag full of nickels...
... sucked a few dicks.

Woah, that's a lot of nickel blowjobs to score a bottle of vodka!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Universe Master posted:

I work at a job because I am poor.

wow that's hosed up

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space Race Riot posted:

Paid for a 1.75 of cheap vodka with a Ziploc bag full of nickels.

Same but $3 cleanskin wines. About the same price, far less alcohol.

I remember going to the bank, a few years after having a real long term job, i was keeping all my small change in a big vase, and taking in a bag of coins and getting back $75.

loving awesome.

I used to not be able to find 5 cents in my house.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 19, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I went to the food bank on my university campus a lot so I could afford more drugs, I still feel bad about it but I think most people that used the campus food bank were probably doing the same thing.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

They should have just opened a drug bank.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Hopped the Muni turnstile because I literally didn't have the $2 or whatever to get from work to home. I realize that was an rear end in a top hat thing to do, but it was the 90s. Once I got a job with benefits I used the subsidized bus pass like a real fancy lady.

I also rode a bike I found abandoned in the alley for years in order to avoid paying for public transportation.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Les Os posted:

stole beer from a gas station (not at gunpoint)

stole gas from a gas station (not at gunpoint) to be able to get to a new job I was starting.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I drank steel reserve. I wouldn’t recommend steel reserve or being poor.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Had an old biscuit tin in which I kept my rolling tobacco and once or twice was desperate enough to shake out all the dry loose tobacco that acculated on there to make one more pathetic cigarette because I couldn't afford anymore till payday.

Used to regularly take home cartons of milk and the free tea and instant coffee from the fridge in the staff room of this factory I worked at. That saved me like like £20 a month easy.

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010
Waiting until after 11PM to get 25-cent hotdogs from the AM-PM down the street. All the chili and nacho cheese you wanted.

Eating generic boxed mac-n-cheese and putting a can of peas in it so my roommates wouldn't eat it all while i was out.

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010
Let's not forget selling weed.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
lived out of my car for ~a year

worked some real lovely jobs(still do!!!)

had a sob story to drunkenly tell at bars to get more booze

lived in a flop house and didn't lessen the pain with drugs, really should have

learned how to dumpster dive for food

became familiar with what real hunger feels like

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Offered blowjobs in the walmart parking lot for a nickel.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No dentist for a while.
Unregistered car for a while (got popped for that one, that didn't exactly help me afford getting it reregistered)
Steel Reserve and natty ice for cheap beer
Learned to cook for myself pretty well to save money, that was a pretty good bonus (as in beans and rice and other staples, also the fundamental truth of "if you make it too spicy to eat, you will want to eat less of it").
Luckily a lot of other poor saps only want a nickel for a blowjob, so you can save yourself a lot of money there if you know where to look.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Did a runner on a blowjob so I wouldn't have to pay a nickel for it.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Ate a Swedish fish off the mall floor I was currently dust mopping because I hadn't eaten that day.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

milkingmycow posted:

Ate a Swedish fish off the mall floor I was currently dust mopping because I hadn't eaten that day.

i hope you blew on it first

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wrong thread

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Rutibex posted:

i hope you blew on it first

where would a piece of candy that small even carry a nickel you idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
5 years without dentist or doctor crew, checking in.

Food stamps were a loving godsend.

I used paving stones (stolen) to hop across filth that filled my basement to get to the ghetto shower in there because the sewer backed up and our slum lord refused to properly clean it. I made a path to get clean with those paving stones, and if I hosed up, I was stepping in actual sewage.

My fridge (during the winter) was a poorly insulated window that frosted from the inside. Kept cheese good for weeks.

We couldn't use the other showers in the house because the drains were so bad. Water simply sat (for months) without draining. No reply from landlord.

We were 19-20, dumb, and loving clueless.