Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hubert seems cool.

The whole group seem pretty cool.

Really I haven't seen anyone revealed so far in this game that looks like a complete dud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Raserys posted:

Yeah I remember Mario odyssey looking a lot better between the first e3 trailer and the second

This is how every Nintendo game goes, almost like clockwork

except pokemon. that's ... mostly the same....b-but otherwise!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pokemon isn't really a nintendo thing, they're basically autonomous.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Gluten Freeman posted:

Tara Platt, I'm pretty sure.

sounds an awful lot like elizabeth from persona 3, so yeah, this is my guess.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

Pokemon isn't really a nintendo thing, they're basically autonomous.

Nintendo owns a third of the Pokemon Company, pretty sure straight up owns the IP, green lights the games and so on.
Compared to their other "second party" franchises there's more moving parts but it's not that dissimilar to Intelligent Systems handling Fire Emblem, unless Nintendo's own internal people assist on the game more than I thought. But I'm sure-ish that unlike Paper Mario its mostly just intsys on their lonesome

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nintendo has more say over fe i feel like just because fe is so much smaller. the pokemon company probably has a bit more sway

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

rannum posted:

Nintendo owns a third of the Pokemon Company, pretty sure straight up owns the IP, green lights the games and so on.
Compared to their other "second party" franchises there's more moving parts but it's not that dissimilar to Intelligent Systems handling Fire Emblem, unless Nintendo's own internal people assist on the game more than I thought. But I'm sure-ish that unlike Paper Mario its mostly just intsys on their lonesome

Maybe read this to realize that Nintendo owns less than you think: https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269466/nintendo-stock-plunge-pokemon-go

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tae posted:

Maybe read this to realize that Nintendo owns less than you think: https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269466/nintendo-stock-plunge-pokemon-go

That's specifically about Pokemon Go, which Nintendo doesn't have as large of a stake as they do the franchise as a whole.

Edit: Who did I piss off to get that avatar?

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 3, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

Typical, I I forgot that Nintendo only steps in (msotly on greenlight and publishing it seems) on its own consoles while Pokemon can do whatever on the phones & PCs and junk. They have like 4 or 5 other mobile projects on there alone, don't know how I forgot Nintendo didn't have a hand in them.

Double checking some Iwata Asks, I see Iwata was part of Creatures at one point so him coming on to help was a different situation as well. Ah well, should probably double check these things before hand.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

rannum posted:

Typical, I I forgot that Nintendo only steps in (msotly on greenlight and publishing it seems) on its own consoles while Pokemon can do whatever on the phones & PCs and junk. They have like 4 or 5 other mobile projects on there alone, don't know how I forgot Nintendo didn't have a hand in them.

Double checking some Iwata Asks, I see Iwata was part of Creatures at one point so him coming on to help was a different situation as well. Ah well, should probably double check these things before hand.

IIRC Iwata was single-handedly responsible for fitting both Kanto and Joto into one GBC cartridge, allowing for the unique setup for the 2nd gen of Pokemon. But in general, Nintendo basically just rubber stamps whatever GF wants to do because Pokemon has made more money than the GDP of some countries.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've never played Fire Emblem. If I'm solely interested in the srpg gameplay and don't really care about the story will this be a solid purchase? I know it isn't out yet, but I'm guessing long time fans can get a feel based on what they've seen.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Annath posted:

IIRC Iwata was single-handedly responsible for fitting both Kanto and Joto into one GBC cartridge, allowing for the unique setup for the 2nd gen of Pokemon. But in general, Nintendo basically just rubber stamps whatever GF wants to do because Pokemon has made more money than the GDP of some countries.

Correct, among other things. Here's some quotes since I still had the Asks open and its a fun topic

quote:

Iwata: Although I wasn't working for Nintendo at that stage, I ended up acting as a go-between for Nintendo and you for some reason. (laughs)

Ishihara: That's right.

Iwata: At that time I wasn't a Nintendo employee but was President of HAL Laboratory. At the same time, I was a board member at Creatures Inc. and I ended up being involved in analyzing the best way to localize the overseas versions of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green. For that reason, I got hold of the source code for Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green and I would study that and suggest ways to localize it to the relevant department at Nintendo.

----
Iwata: Right. (laughs) You decided to release Pokémon Stadium for the Nintendo 64 and the first task was to analyze the Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green battle logic and send it over to Miyamoto-san and his team. You'd normally expect there to be a specification document, but there was nothing of the sort...

Morimoto: I'm so sorry! (laughs)

Iwata: No, no, it's fine! (laughs) Studying the program for the Pokémon battle system was part of my job.

Morimoto: I created that battle program and it really took a long time to put together. But when I heard that Iwata-san had been able to port it over in about a week and that it was already working... Well, I thought: "What kind of company president is this!?"(laughs)

-----
Morimoto: What's more, there were the tools for compressing the Pokémon graphic code...

Iwata: Ah yes, the compression tools. [This is specifically what was responsible for getting Kanto in the games I believe]

Morimoto: You were kind enough to create those tools.

-----
Ishihara: That's right. At that time, Game Freak really had their hands full and wouldn't have had the capacity to work on the next title. The necessity to properly gather together all of the strands of brand management and overseeing licensing led to the establishment of The Pokémon Company.

Iwata: I joined Nintendo in June 2000 and one of the first jobs I was involved in was the establishment of The Pokémon Company.

Ishihara: So it was! (laughs) When the idea of setting up The Pokémon Company was originally discussed, I actually thought: "It can't be done." This was because the number of Pokémon licensees and rights holders had increased so dramatically, which I thought would make setting up a new company to consolidate all of this impossible. But Iwata-san, you were good enough to play a coordinating role not just for the domestic market, but globally. You really made an incredibly valuable contribution... (laughs)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I've never played Fire Emblem. If I'm solely interested in the srpg gameplay and don't really care about the story will this be a solid purchase? I know it isn't out yet, but I'm guessing long time fans can get a feel based on what they've seen.

I've had friends enjoy FE while skipping the story (probably the best way to play Fates....) and looking at it purely mechanically

Three Houses seems to have a solid base line on its systems and you can automate the school stuff between maps so we're mostly waiting on if the maps are any good. But nothing has indicated their worse than Revelations or Echoes so it's probably fine.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

rannum posted:

Correct, among other things. Here's some quotes since I still had the Asks open and its a fun topic

God Iwata was so unbelievably badass

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Megasabin posted:

To be honest this looks like it’s gonna be the most atypical game of the series so far, not that that’s a bad thing since it all LOOKS interesting but Fates looked interesting too, so it’s hard to say but probably just wait for reviews as we get closer to the release date.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can automate the whole building relationship thing, your party will probably just be gimped since you're skipping all of it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest this looks like it’s gonna be the most atypical game of the series so far, not that that’s a bad thing since it all LOOKS interesting but Fates looked interesting too, so it’s hard to say but probably just wait for reviews as we get closer to the release date.

Eh, we just had Echoes which deviates from the standard FE formula more than Three Houses does imo (even if it is a remake).

Like is any of the first person stuff coming back? Or the dungeon diving? Or the weird way spells work?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Eh, we just had Echoes which deviates from the standard FE formula more than Three Houses does imo (even if it is a remake).

Like is any of the first person stuff coming back? Or the dungeon diving? Or the weird way spells work?
the first person stuff and dungeon diving is kind of being kept via the monastery, since a lot of the same systems are in play. and no but spells seem to be working in a different weird way in this game where you have a limited number of casts per battle.

Megasabin posted:

The core gameplay mechanics seem really interesting but iunno how the map design will be yet.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Looking back, Echoes seemed to be them experimenting with a bunch of things that have made their return in 3H but in a slightly different or refined way, like the combat arts, lack of weapon triangle, and yeah the first person/dungeon stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean theyve been flirting on and off with moving the series closer to gaiden ever since fe8, they've always seemed really taken with some of its ideas. flatout remaking it allowed them to see what actually worked and what didnt in the modern era. echoes honestly feels like it might be one of the more important games in the series considering how much it seems like it freed them up to think outside the box.

ofc three houses was definitely being worked on at the same time as echoes, considering echoes was very much a skeleton b-team kind of game, but there was definitely some cross-pollination.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Looks like they just announced the expansion pass for THree Houses

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1146569591310544896

Seems like it's a $24 pass

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

rannum posted:

Looks like they just announced the expansion pass for THree Houses

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1146569591310544896

Seems like it's a $24 pass

The female byleth outfit fix

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
that hat

does not work

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Oh they list more on the eshop with estimated release dates
-Wave 1 is Officers Academy Uniform (Byleth) on release day
-Wave 2 is "Additional Auxiliary Battles+" and "Additional Items+" with both listed for 10/31/2019. "Additional Auxilary battle maps, helpful in-game support items and more"
-Wave 3 "Additional Quests+" and "New Attire+" both listed for 12/31/2019. "Additiona lquests & costumes ... plus, another free update."
-Wave 4 "Additional Story Content+" on April 30th 2020. "Discover new story content, with additional playable characters ,locations and more." with another note for another free update.

fourth house baby!!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

rannum posted:

Oh they list more on the eshop with estimated release dates
-Wave 1 is Officers Academy Uniform (Byleth) on release day
-Wave 2 is "Additional Auxiliary Battles+" and "Additional Items+" with both listed for 10/31/2019. "Additional Auxilary battle maps, helpful in-game support items and more"
-Wave 3 "Additional Quests+" and "New Attire+" both listed for 12/31/2019. "Additiona lquests & costumes ... plus, another free update."
-Wave 4 "Additional Story Content+" on April 30th 2020. "Discover new story content, with additional playable characters ,locations and more." with another note for another free update.

fourth house baby!!!!

Wow hey guys its the Purple Mice! They've been standing juuuust offscreen the entire time.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zore posted:

Wow hey guys its the Purple Mice! They've been standing juuuust offscreen the entire time.

zore please that's ridiculous

it's the Gray Wolves

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Stating the obvious, but they put the better outfit as dlc

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

rannum posted:

zore please that's ridiculous

it's the Gray Wolves

Why is one of the characters a dude with a tiny head named Felix

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the additional story content in fates was just 'what if the kids... were sad??' and that technically had new units, new locations, etc. i wouldnt put too much stock into it being anything earth shaking

esp. since the entire thing is only 24 dollars. obviously certain things in it cost more or less but if you break it down by fourths its 6 dollars

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I bet there's a Heroes cameo like Echoes got a Cipher cameo. The cross-promotion has already started, anybody who links Three Houses to their nintendo account gets a Byleth for free in Heroes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean the additional story content in fates was just 'what if the kids... were sad??' and that technically had new units, new locations, etc. i wouldnt put too much stock into it being anything earth shaking

esp. since the entire thing is only 24 dollars. obviously certain things in it cost more or less but if you break it down by fourths its 6 dollars

Its not an equal breakdown though. Phase one is only a costume for Byleth while other phases have multiple costumes plus other stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Its not an equal breakdown though. Phase one is only a costume for Byleth while other phases have multiple costumes plus other stuff.
yes i literally said that. my point is that if it was extremely significant itd probably cost 15-20 dollars and i cant imagine the other stuff only costing 2-3 each. it probably costs like, 10.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

It probably wont be a full revelation styled extra route, fourth house jokes aside, but I bet it will be the priciest DLC of the waves and the bulk of the associated cost with the full pass. Picking at prices might be hard to do at this point, though, we dont know how extensive the grinding maps or other minor quests are or...litearlly anything. And we just came off a game that sold you classes for $2 each alongside actual maps with dialog, supports, items and characters for $6 each. Kind of hard to gauge anything.

I could see it acting as a mini, i dunno, epilogue of sorts? Or some golden "what if" finale, where its not a full campaign but picks up as an alternate 3-5 maps for the ending that all 3 paths can take.

side note i'm pretty surprised Wave 2 is coming 3 months later instead of nearer release where grinding maps would probably be at their most useful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

yes i literally said that. my point is that if it was extremely significant itd probably cost 15-20 dollars and i cant imagine the other stuff only costing 2-3 each. it probably costs like, 10.

Yeah I misread your post, my apologies.

Comparing it to Fates DLC, it looks like roughly the same price as Map packs 1+2 which had six classes, 16 maps and one new character. So roughly that level of content would fit.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's a japanese overview trailer that just went up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZqLpzlaiyo

Probably nothing super important or new, but we get a look at a lot more characters, systems and some new maps in action. I'm sure serenes and such will pick it apart for any extra stuff soon

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
what on earth are those socks, B

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rannum posted:

side note i'm pretty surprised Wave 2 is coming 3 months later instead of nearer release where grinding maps would probably be at their most useful.
i get the impression this game's development wasn't exactly rushed or troubled, but it was a bigger undertaking than they expected. so dlc grinding maps probably werent a priority

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also looking at the trailers the maps look like actual, fire emblem maps for the first time since 12

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

also looking at the trailers the maps look like actual, fire emblem maps for the first time since 12

Can we really tell that from the snippets we've seen? I feel like I could take similar shots of other maps in the series and you wouldn't know the full scale or their design unless it was an absolutely dire map to begin with

That's an earnest question, though, I'd like to hear more about why you think that. I'll admit map design isn't my strong suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i didnt mean map design i mean literally just the way maps are laid out in terms of terrain, there's clear paths through them while still having some chokepoints instead of being tiny two pixel halls like 99.9% of the maps in conquest and half of rev or giant open fields like awakening or birthright/the other half of rev. like they look like a space that you can move units through without being miserable. maybe the core map design will still suck but more and more im realizing my biggest issue with the 3ds era was less 'the maps being well balanced challenges' and more just how the basic act of moving units through the space that was available was incredibly cumbersome.