Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Al-Saqr posted:

I just hit Credits on my first run of the game, played Golden Deer, what a wonderful game, a nice satisfying experience with wonderful characters. I love a nice traditional happy ending. I love Claude. seeing my students post campaign lives and romances and the ending gave me a nice needed smile :unsmith:

This was one of the rare games to completely grip me and even rarer keep me interested to finish it for its massively long campaign. I will say though, I definitely wish the game was a teeny bit shorter, it was definitely becoming a chore to work through the months and grind in the last 25% of the game.

I will probably take a break for a few months and play some other games before doing the Black Eagles Edeglard run, is it worth it? does it supply a vastly different mission structure or experience? or is it the same missions but with swapped characters?

Also, does it allow me to use New Game Plus to start a new campaign with a different faction? or do I have to start from zero.

Also, should I bother getting the new DLC 'Shadow wolves' campaign? is it worth it?

One thing that was bothersome throughout the game was at some point getting cooking ingredients became super scarce, and I almost never ran into Umbral Steel or Mythril, which made unlocking special weapons and maintaining the ones I had a nightmare, is there something I'm missing? I did side missions and stuff but I only could ever repair a special weapon once or twice in the whole game.

Black Eagles Edelgard is the most different experience overall. Very different mission structure and storyline.

Silver Snow, the Church route, is incredibly similar to Deer though. They're basically just a few character swaps and definitely not worth doing back to back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Al-Saqr posted:

I will probably take a break for a few months and play some other games before doing the Black Eagles Edeglard run, is it worth it? does it supply a vastly different mission structure or experience? or is it the same missions but with swapped characters?

It's by far the most different in terms of story, and it has the most unique maps, but I'm not sure what you mean by "mission structure." You're still doing all the same monastary stuff, but you don't have to do all the skirmishes and junk. Especially on a New Game+. I spent most of my downtime doing seminars or sharing meals after my first playthrough.

You have to play through White Winds (the first 12 chapters) again, though, which is almost exactly the same, except from Edelgard and the Black Eagles' perspective. You're allowed to save before the route split, so if you think you'll play Silver Snow at some point in the future, keep that file around.

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, does it allow me to use New Game Plus to start a new campaign with a different faction? or do I have to start from zero.

NG+ lets you pick your house. You never have to start from scratch again if you don't want to.

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, should I bother getting the new DLC 'Shadow wolves' campaign? is it worth it?

It's a solid standalone campaign, and completing it gives you a fun OP item to use in the main storyline if you wish. It also adds 4 recruitable characters, 4 new classes, and a new explorable area to the monastary which contains some lore and ways to spend renown for powerful gear and speeding up character supports. The campaign is also more linear and structured, and its hard mode is properly difficult, if that's a Fire Emblem experience you've been missing. Get the DLC if that sounds worth the price to you.

Also getting the DLC pack lets you feed cats around the monastary.

Al-Saqr posted:

One thing that was bothersome throughout the game was at some point getting cooking ingredients became super scarce, and I almost never ran into Umbral Steel or Mythril, which made unlocking special weapons and maintaining the ones I had a nightmare, is there something I'm missing? I did side missions and stuff but I only could ever repair a special weapon once or twice in the whole game.

Cooking ingredients come from the greenhouse (greens), fishing (fish) and doing skirmishes and one of the unlockable merchants in the market (meat). Smithing ingredients, besides the buyable ones, come almost exclusively from armor breaking monsters. If you hit them with Gambits or attacks on each of their tiles once or twice (depending on barrier strength), they'll be paralyzed for a turn and you'll get some smithing ingredients. Mythril is still annoyingly rare, but Umbral Steel comes from black beasts, and is super common if you have been armor breaking. I've never run out.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Mock Battle and Battle of Eagle and Lion will be different slightly because you're leading a different house but the otherwise main change to White Clouds is just character reaction and interaction. Except for Edelgard, of course, who has a completely different campaign from Chapter 12 to the end.

Cindered Shadows goes more into detail on some plot revalations that otherwise only come up at the end of a route so if you really don't want any of the main routes spoiled you should avoid it.

Mythril can come from birds which is the only real farmable source of it. Though feeding animals from the DLC can sometimes, rarely give it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Cindered Shadows goes more into detail on some plot revalations that otherwise only come up at the end of a route so if you really don't want any of the main routes spoiled you should avoid it.
no it doesn't??? it barely talks about any of the main plot

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Amppelix posted:

no it doesn't??? it barely talks about any of the main plot

CS ends with Rhea dumping a bunch of Byleth Mom information that's otherwise Silver Snow endgame stuff.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Al-Saqr posted:

If you have the money, you can buy them from the traveling merchants from other people's games.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK, so, you're saying that after I finish my first game where I went beagles and Edelgard, I will get a majorly different experience after Chapter 12 on NG+ whether I am blue or yellow? Or is it just yellow that's different and blue will be same diff as a beagles and church game?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

* Deer and Church are almost identical (do not play Church).
* Lions are about 50% different from that.
* Eagles (Edelgard) are almost completely different from the others.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Church and Deer are pretty much the same, except that instead of Claude and his buddies chatting it up in-between chapters, you get Church members and the Black Eagles. It also has a different final map, which is possibly my favorite across the routes. I like the route better than Claude's, but I can't recommend playing both until you've seen the other two.

Lions uses a lot of the same map setups, but has an very different storyline and has some unique scenarios towards the tail end.

Eagles (Edelgard) has the most unique maps and the most different storyline.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

don't play church route

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's bad general advice

if anything, don't play deer route

church lets you skip a playthrough of white clouds if you're going for route optimization

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
You mean by leaving a save right before choosing Church v Edelgard?

...I may have already hosed up there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The game even lets you save right before the final decision point.

That's on you, homes.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m still working my way through Lions, but it’s definitely the closest to a traditional fire emblem plot compared to the other two. Mr. Dimitri’s Wild Ride is something else though

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I got this game recently, picked Golden Deer , and have played up to Lanto’s (?) rebellion and now I’m running around the monastery trying to figure out the real plot behind an obviously fake letter about the Assassination plot.

I don’t really want to read too much of this thread to avoid spoilers (at least for one playthrough), but this is my first fire emblem game so I’m not sure how to balance fighting and the social stuff.

Can I just do whatever I feel like and be fine? I dont want to have to backtrack to saves hours old because I didn’t level up a characters support rating enough and now I’m locked in a bad ending or forgot to level a skill and now my characters are locked out of the better classes.

Can I just randomly have dinners/activities with anybody I feel like or do I need to focus on a few characters to make it worth while? Same question but for recruiting, also is there a limit on who I can take into battle. Note I disabled permadeath which was a good idea because I’d have failed already.

Is there an in-depth guide on the mechanics of the game I can dive into with general leveling advice? Not knowing the system makes me afraid I’ll end up leveling the wrong skills on the wrong characters ending up with a weak party.

From some reading on the net I get that you want to master classes before switching and qualify for as many classes as possible even if I don’t intend to use them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Numlock posted:

Can I just do whatever I feel like and be fine? I dont want to have to backtrack to saves hours old because I didn’t level up a characters support rating enough and now I’m locked in a bad ending or forgot to level a skill and now my characters are locked out of the better classes.

Can I just randomly have dinners/activities with anybody I feel like or do I need to focus on a few characters to make it worth while? Same question but for recruiting, also is there a limit on who I can take into battle. Note I disabled permadeath which was a good idea because I’d have failed already.

Is there an in-depth guide on the mechanics of the game I can dive into with general leveling advice? Not knowing the system makes me afraid I’ll end up leveling the wrong skills on the wrong characters ending up with a weak party.
Yes, 100%. People can't be 'locked out of promotions' or 'locked into a bad ending.' There's one route split that's dependent on Hubert and Edelgard's support level and talking to them at the right time, but it's just 'byleth having a b support with them, talking to Edelgard in the monastery at some point in the month,' both of which are pretty hard *not* to do. And the other route isn't a bad ending, it's just, well, a route split. Promotions are just dependent on level and weapon ranks, and the weapon rank requirement are fairly low.

You can do whatever you feel like, by the mddle of the game you'll have more time than you know what to do with. The limit on how many people you can bring into battle is about 12-13, so I wouldn't recruit the entire school. Just grab one or two students from other houses.

It's extremely hard to wind up with a 'weak party,' the game's pretty fairly balanced and most of your natural instincts on what to do with the characters are entirely correct. So long as you aren't making all the people who are obviously mages into physical classes and all the people who are obviously physical into mages, you'll be fine. And even if you did do that your party would still mostly work, especially since the teachers are both very strong and pretty locked into their classes, and you can get a few of them as the game goes on.

My sincere advice is to just not worry about it. This game doesn't have any massive tricks you'll get owned by and there's no sudden difficulty spike where you'll get owned if you aren't playing 100% optimally. They're extremely generous with the amount of time you have. Gardening, one of the best things you can do, is a free action, supports build fairly quickly, units are pretty strong, etc.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
There is a unit per battle cap, usually 10 dudes but sometimes a bit more or less.

I'm at level 35 and my experience has been you don't need to try hard at min maxing the monastery events. You'll rapidly get enough professor points to take everybody you want to dinner for lots of full motivation bars while still hitting up arena matches or whatever.

Serenes Forest is a nice resource besides the great goons of this thread. I didn't spot any strategy guides on there but I didn't look at its forums. It certainly has a useful list of spells and classes and so forth for reference.

I believe the best thing to do with study goals and one on one instruction is indeed to teach dudes skills they don't actually want for their desired classes. Teach your heavy tanks Reason or Faith, teach your wizards Axe, that kind of poo poo. Because, yes, if you get them to pass the exam for a level 20 class straight away at 20, you can score BIG free stats. I've milked +10 among strength/speed/defense/resistance for half my team at various points by doing this. Then after Ferdinand or whoever gets his fatty +6 resistance from qualifying as a bishop, he just goes back to working on the class he actually wants!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Some supports are timelocked, and some have cutoff dates. The latter is pretty rare but it happens. If you keep exploring and talking to everyone constantly it'll be pretty hard to miss stuff. There are two supports that involve more important matters on another route.

Otherwise there are three paralogues (extra sidequest battles with good loot) that require you to have Support C with characters but these frankly won't be relevant on Golden Deer.

You should always pass certifications as soon as possible. Every class has base stats, and if a character has a lower stat than those class's base stats their lower stat will be raised up to the class's stat permenantly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

I believe the best thing to do with study goals and one on one instruction is indeed to teach dudes skills they don't actually want for their desired classes. Teach your heavy tanks Reason or Faith, teach your wizards Axe, that kind of poo poo. Because, yes, if you get them to pass the exam for a level 20 class straight away at 20, you can score BIG free stats. I've milked +10 among strength/speed/defense/resistance for half my team at various points by doing this. Then after Ferdinand or whoever gets his fatty +6 resistance from qualifying as a bishop, he just goes back to working on the class he actually wants!
yeah, you have so much wiggle room you can do poo poo like this if you want

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Short answer, yes, do whatever makes sense to you and you'll be fine. I'm assuming you're playing on normal difficulty. Even hard has a lot of wiggle room if you have some Fire Emblem experience.

Your characters will all have a bunch of talents (marked with blue arrows pointing upwards), which are skills they have an easier time advancing. If you focus on these, you will be fine. If you want to plan ahead for classes, you can go to the "certifications" menu at the start of any weekend and take a look at what skills are required for upcoming classes.

The only addendum to this is that anyone in a magic-using class should level both their Faith and Reason.

You can definitely get by with your starting crop of characters; they're well balanced. There is a limit on how many characters you can take into battle, and you shouldn't level more than about 12 characters if you don't want to.

Meals are mostly a fast way to build motivation so you can spend more teaching points on students, but they also build supports between the students you bring. Students become easier to recruit the higher their support is with Byleth, so you should also dine with students you want to win over.

There's no limit on how many students you can recruit, but you'll never get the chance to deploy everyone. There's also a handful of characters who become recruitable in later chapters with no prerequisites, if you need to round out your roster.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 24, 2020

Numlock
May 19, 2007

So as general advice, are there any students/teachers that make good pickups for Golden deer? The starting line up seems solid if a bit squishy.

I assume I can’t recruit house heads?

My last major question is when should I do the side story?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Numlock posted:

So as general advice, are there any students/teachers that make good pickups for Golden deer? The starting line up seems solid if a bit squishy.

I assume I can’t recruit house heads?

My last major question is when should I do the side story?

Yeah, you also cannot recruit house heads or the second in commands for the other two houses (Hubert and Dedue)

There are a few people you might want to pick up because they unlock paralogues with some of your students. Specifically Ferdinand and Cyril

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Linhardt also has a Golden Deer paralogue. Ferdinand makes for a great dodge tank, or tank in general.

Other than that, just pick anybody who seems interesting.

I'd keep the side story until after you've finished your Golden Deer run. Some of it might not make sense until then. Also, it's pretty tough, so being more familiar with the game might be helpful here.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

You can do pretty much whatever you want in this game when it comes to skills. Obviously it's easier to train a character in their strengths but you can pretty much get away with whatever. If you're playing on normal you get access to infinite grinding maps which lets you do anything. Recruit whoever you'd like, and having better supports makes it easier to poach kids over.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Numlock posted:

In addition to Linhardt, Ferdinand, and Cyril, who have paralogues with Golden Deer members as mentioned, Flayn and Seteth join you automatically later in the story. They have a little bit of unique story content if you deploy them on Claude's paralogue (which is exclusive to Golden Deer) and on Linhardt & Leonie's paralogue, and also if you move them to a specific area of the map in the chapter 19 mission.

Seteth is really strong when you get him, and in particular he has really good starting Defense, so that can help bulk up your team.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I still get wistful and teary whenever I listen to the ballroom dance music, love you, Claude. :unsmith:

https://youtu.be/w2NHWtUPHn0

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Can someone explain this whole certification giving free stats thing? Should be spending mad cert tokens on random classes im not actually going to use?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Can someone explain this whole certification giving free stats thing? Should be spending mad cert tokens on random classes im not actually going to use?

say you have a unit with comically low defense, like Lysithea. You train up her Axe rank and Heavy Armor rank so she can earn the armored knight certification. When she takes the exam, her base stats will automatically promote to match those of an Armored Knight. So her starting defense of 3 will jump to 12 and stay about the same even if you put her in a more appropriate class

in my next Deer run I'm making her a Dark Flier and just nuking everything in sight

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

say you have a unit with comically low defense, like Lysithea. You train up her Axe rank and Heavy Armor rank so she can earn the armored knight certification. When she takes the exam, her base stats will automatically promote to match those of an Armored Knight. So her starting defense of 3 will jump to 12 and stay about the same even if you put her in a more appropriate class

in my next Deer run I'm making her a Dark Flier and just nuking everything in sight

EDIT: Seriously machine? You're so loving rear end-busted you completely ignore everything I typed yet still triggered enter when I hit it? Ugh.

Anyway...

One of the more hilarious times to me was getting Annette and Lysithea to pass Fortress Knight more-or-less by accident on 40% chances. That was great.

Armored Knight's requirements are pretty dang light all around so it's not a hard idea to get anyone through it even fighting against weaknesses.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 25, 2020

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Every class has a certain level of minimum stats associated with it, and if you obtain the certification for them then if the stat is lower it will be raised to the minimum level. These are generally pretty low, like the tier-3 classes are mostly 12-16 in their primary stats, but some characters have really low stats and growths in certain areas so it can potentially be useful- for example, most mages and archers have bad defense so armor/fortress knight will raise them a decent amount. IIRC you should be able to see what the stat boosts would be before actually trying the certification, if you select the class it will show what stats would be modified and to what amount.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

If you reclass a character from one class to another without mastering the previous class do you lose the progress in the previous class?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Numlock posted:

If you reclass a character from one class to another without mastering the previous class do you lose the progress in the previous class?

No, progress is saved

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Armor training for anyone with low speed and no armor weakness is worth it to me for that easy Weight -3.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zore posted:

No, progress is saved

Its amazing how much that statement changed when I initially read it without the comma.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

BrightWing posted:

Armor training for anyone with low speed and no armor weakness is worth it to me for that easy Weight -3.

If you make Armor training a priority fast enough, it also enables you to class people into Armor Knight right at lvl 10 or so. You don't generally want to actually use that class, but the base Def of the class is quite high - particularly helping out the likely Def of more magic-inclined characters at that point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Its amazing how much that statement changed when I initially read it without the comma.

Works on contingency?

No, money down!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So im on to my second play through of three houses now on a harder difficulty. Game is still pretty awesome, though I am feeling a bit of burnout because the maps are the same. Are any of the recentish 3ds games worth playing?

Im tempted to try one, but Im worried about mechanics regression from 3h which is always what kills me when I try to go back to play older pokemon games after playing the most recent release.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Echoes, despite its NES-era map design/weird jank, would probably be the closest to what you're wanting as a change of pace. It still has Divine Pulse (flavored as Mila's Turnwheel), though there are some small qol differences like not automatically activating if your lord dies.

It's still a very, very different game from 3H though, which might alleviate some of the other gameplay aspects you might find too archaic?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So im on to my second play through of three houses now on a harder difficulty. Game is still pretty awesome, though I am feeling a bit of burnout because the maps are the same. Are any of the recentish 3ds games worth playing?

Im tempted to try one, but Im worried about mechanics regression from 3h which is always what kills me when I try to go back to play older pokemon games after playing the most recent release.

What are you looking for in a game? That would help us recommend something.

The first 3DS game was Awakening, which had a lot of acclaim. It has a serviceable but uneven story, and many people like the characters, the art, the setting, and the overall premise. It introduced several new mechanics, including the Pair Up mechanic, which is like a superpowered version of adjutants: it had even better versions of attack and guard adjutants in one, and the supporting unit gave a ton of raw stats to the lead unit, too. It's a really fun game to play through, but once you've worked out how to really take advantage of the mechanics, the gameplay loses some of its appeal. Awakening is the only recent installment with something resembling a postgame, thanks to the DLC challenge maps.

Fates was next. It's really three separate games that share their fundamental mechanics and their first six chapters. Fates tried to rebalance some of the broken stuff from Awakening: Pair Up is toned down and split into two different stances, you can’t really get infinite levels anymore, and generally it's less easy to beat the whole game with one or two super-units. The music is awesome, and I really like the art direction in Fates.

Fates: Birthright is similar to Awakening in design, so the map objectives are simpler, you're able to grind, and enemies aren’t that strong individually, nor do they usually have scary skills to deal with. I think it's an okay game, but it's not something I enjoy replaying if I’m not doing some kind of weird challenge.

Fates: Conquest is my favorite FE game; you can’t grind for experience or money, there are much more diverse map objectives, and the combat is generally built around breaking apart scary enemy formations. You'll be punished if you give the enemy a chance to swarm any one of your units, and it's much harder (though not impossible) to train one unit who's capable of soloing entire maps. Many FE games have an inverted difficulty curve where things start out difficult and become easier as you unlock stronger units and promote your original ones, but Conquest's challenge ramps up all the way through. Later chapters introduce gimmicks that try to shut down different common strategies, forcing you to adapt; some people do find these frustrating.

Fates: Revelation, a $20 DLC for the other two routes, is a truly terrible game. The gameplay design was outsourced, and it shows. You get a huge cast of characters to play with, but tons of them are horribly underleveled, so much so that they deal piddling damage and get one-rounded by many enemies on their join chapters. There are tons of gimmicks that are never fun and don’t force you to change tactics so much as they just waste your time.

All three Fates games have quite bad stories, unfortunately. Birthright is dull, Conquest is infuriating because the main character and everyone around them acts really stupid all the time, and Revelation is just generally ridiculous. I like Conquest's cast the best, but you really shouldn’t go into any part of Fates expecting good writing.

Echoes: Shadows of Valentia has the best presentation of the three 3DS games, but it's a remake that deliberately preserves many of the bizarre and obnoxious design decisions in the original FE Gaiden. I don’t have any nostalgia for that stuff, so I didn’t find the gameplay all that fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
yes yes but which one let's me breed the characters??