Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Genealogy (the hint is in the name), Awakening, and Fates have eugenics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also, disregard what the previous poster said about Conquest's storyline. Yes, it's absolutely terrible, worst in the series, but it's so bad it loops right around and becomes high art. The other two Fates storylines are bad and boring and bad and self-indulgent, respectively, but Conquest has by far the most amazing storyline of any Fire Emblem game.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Ngl, the first time I played through conquest i thought they were trying to do some kind of thing where you were meant to feel bad about watching a bunch of people rationalize themselves into making monstrous decisions. Would have been better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also, disregard what the previous poster said about Conquest's storyline. Yes, it's absolutely terrible, worst in the series, but it's so bad it loops right around and becomes high art. The other two Fates storylines are bad and boring and bad and self-indulgent, respectively, but Conquest has by far the most amazing storyline of any Fire Emblem game.

Nah.

I mean, it's amazingly lovely, sure. But it's also boring and almost nothing happens. The things like people having a casual conversation while on fire are jaw dropping in how dumb they are, sure, but you have to sit through a lot of nothing happening to get to the impressively dumb bits.

I'm also not as fond of the gameplay, which is balanced around individual encounters rather than maps as a whole, with a lot of terrible balancing decisions mixed in.

Plus, Conquest has some of the worst maps in the series. Sure, some are good, but maps like the kitsune one are worse than anything in Awakening.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I don't find conquest's story fun bad at all, personally

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I got a mild chuckle out of the miraculous zero casualty sieges of Hoshido

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, to each his own.

For me, the scene where Corrin and Azura hatch a devious scheme to keep their taskmasters from killing every civilian they come across, by pretending to be evil and wanting all the civilian murder to themselves, only for Azura to immediately lose her poo poo when Corrin tells a villain that they're gonna go kill some civilians is one I will never forget.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stuff like that's mostly jsut frustrating bad, not funny bad, imo. conquest's characters are constantly *restraining* themselves, which in turns constrains the plot. for something to be enjoyably bad it needs to be constantly in flux and trying every stupid idea it can, not awkwardly slumping towards one stupid idea.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, to each his own.

For me, the scene where Corrin and Azura hatch a devious scheme to keep their taskmasters from killing every civilian they come across, by pretending to be evil and wanting all the civilian murder to themselves, only for Azura to immediately lose her poo poo when Corrin tells a villain that they're gonna go kill some civilians is one I will never forget.

Yeah thats the scene where I put down Conquest and never finished it.

Also the end of my time with Fates as a whole. Holy poo poo was that just awful.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've blanked most of Fates from my mind so I don't remember which of the games this is from, but the tone of the entire set is something like this.

A major part of what I liked about Three Houses was how much better the character writing was. FE has always had charming and likable characters, but they usually boiled down to a single word descriptor like "tomboy" or "shy" or "jock" or "hillbilly." Not all of 3H's characters clear that bar, but several have a lot going on, and even the most one-note of them are usually tied into the lore in interesting ways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I do feel like most 3 houses characters have at least 2-3 notes so that's cool

even people like leonie have a little more going on than like... ilyana from fe9-10

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why wasn't conquest a coup story like it was advertised? So mad.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Numlock posted:

So as general advice, are there any students/teachers that make good pickups for Golden deer? The starting line up seems solid if a bit squishy.

I assume I can’t recruit house heads?

My last major question is when should I do the side story?

Golden Deer is probably the best house from a pickup standpoint. They start Lysithea and Leonie who are tremendously strong characters that you'd want to pick up early were you elsewehere.

Pickups for Golden Deer:

Dorothea is the highest priority in the game because of her personal skill that gives unlimited healing. It's a huge advantage for the earlygame and her strength persists later in the game when she gains Meteor, which is effectively an aura that increases everyone's hit.

You can recruit Catherine in Chapter 4 by raising her support with you. If you do this you get one of the most downright broken units in the game super early and because she starts in an advanced class she gets to benefit from a ludicrous growth rate for a much larger part of the game.

If you're F!Byleth you get Sylvain for free and he's very powerful early, if you're not, ideally recruit him before the mission with his brother. (Chapter 5) This way he gets his Lance of Ruin early which is super helpful.

You want to recruit Ingrid in Chapter 11. Because of a bug with her starting class she gets very powerful automatic level ups while she remains unrecruited. So you want to recruit her such that you unlock her paralogue at the very last moment and can get it done.

I think broadly these are the most important out of house pickups.

Also re: Three Houses chat.

From my perspective Conquest is probably the worst Fire Emblem game I've ever played. The map design is woeful in the lategame, the final chapter being the most egregious example of this and the catchup mechanics are non-existent, so once you've stopped levelling a character, they're hosed for the rest of the game.

imo play it to Chapter 9 and quit after you've done it because the game has nothing interesting to offer subsequently.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 27, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

You want to recruit Ingrid in Chapter 11. Because of a bug with her starting class she gets very powerful automatic level ups while she remains unrecruited. So you want to recruit her such that you unlock her paralogue at the very last moment and can get it done.

I thought that was because she (like every student) leveled off of enemy classes which had ridiculous growths.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Why wasn't conquest a coup story like it was advertised? So mad.
To be fair, it is a coup, its just the stupidest, most roundabout coup in history.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

McTimmy posted:

I thought that was because she (like every student) leveled off of enemy classes which had ridiculous growths.

I believe this is specific with Pegasus knight because enemy Pegasus knights get particularly insane growths.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

McTimmy posted:

Yes, but Ingrid's the one who profits the most from it. Her strength growth is normally a bit shaky, but enemy pegasus knight gives her a massive boost.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yes, but Ingrid's the one who profits the most from it. Her strength growth is normally a bit shaky, but enemy pegasus knight gives her a massive boost.
yeah but like, it isn't a bug. that's how it's supposed to work. at most you could consider it an exploit but those stats are preset by the developers, they aren't normal randomly assigned levelups, so they clearly knew what they were doing

also it's actually a big tradeoff and nowhere near as good as it sounds because unrecruited units gain gently caress-all for skill experience and if you recruit at the last opportunity they're super far behind all your regular crew and require an intense tutoring grind to catch up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Ingrid doesn't really have the trade off since she starts with the skills she needs to advance relatively easily.

Of course ideally you want to send her through brigand and archer first, which is certainly more difficult.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Natural 20 posted:

I think broadly these are the most important out of house pickups.

Might want to also grab Ferdinand and Lindhart because they have joint paralogues with Lysithia and Leonie post-timeskip.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I believe the sweet spot for Ingrid is chapter 6, where you can recruit her as a level 11 Pegasus Knight instead of a level 9 Soldier. The only stats that really pull ahead from chapter 6 to 11 are Defense and Resistance, and having more time to work on offensive skills is probably a higher priority than defensive stats for most Ingrid builds.

Chapter 5 Ingrid:
Level - 9 Soldier
HP - 31
Strength - 11
Magic - 9
Dexterity - 11 (+1 from Soldier)
Speed - 13
Luck - 10
Defense - 7
Resistance - 10
Charm - 12

Chapter 6 Ingrid:
Level - 11 Pegasus Knight
HP - 34
Strength - 13
Magic - 10
Dexterity - 12 (+2 from Pegasus Knight)
Speed - 18 (+3 from Pegasus Knight)
Luck - 11
Defense - 11
Resistance - 16 (+3 from Pegasus Knight)
Charm - 14

Chapter 11 Ingrid:
Level - 21 Pegasus Knight
HP - 41
Strength - 18
Magic - 13
Dexterity - 16 (+2 from Pegasus Knight)
Speed - 25 (+3 from Pegasus Knight)
Luck - 15
Defense - 16
Resistance - 22 (+3 from Pegasus Knight)
Charm - 19

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The note there is that Chapter 11 Ingrid has about 2 points of strength more than normal Ingrid would if you recruited her at 6.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that is assuming you left her in peg knight the whole time tho

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
That's a 50% strength growth between levels 11 and 21, which you could come close to as a brigand with 45%. You'd be about 1 point lower on speed as a brigand though, and your defense and resistance would be about 2-3 points lower each.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Wyvern would get her 18 STR anyway and even paladin would be 17.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, like i said the tradeoff is pretty huge, and those couple stat points might not even matter very much. I would only go for this is you really hate random levels and want those guaranteed good stats.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you plan on making Ingrid your dancer it's probably best to delay her recruitment until right before the contest since enemy pegasus knight growth rates are undeniably the best for survival.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dancer stats don't really matter. you could put her in armor classes for defense if you want or magic classes so she isn't trash at healing but dancer cripples you in the long run anyway

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The main reason to pick ingrid as your dancer over someone else is that if you want to use the entire buffalo, she strikes maybe the best balance in the game* between dodgetanking with swords, a solid spell list and magic growth, and high charm to power up sword dance (and gambits, which synergizes with her personal). She's actually pretty skill hungry, going for a late recruitment in this situation seems ill advised.

*Ignatz and Ferdinand come close, but have low charm and magic growths respectively, plus no flying strength means higher investment if you want to pick up alert stance for better dodgetanking. Yuri might actually be better though now that I look at it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that is assuming you left her in peg knight the whole time tho

That's fair, but I also think that's a trade off because then I could assume that she's not getting pegasus knight stat bonuses like speed instead and she'd end up a point of speed lower.

I think I can be persuaded on Chapter 6 Ingrid because that way she gets access to Sylvain's paralogue, which is a pretty huge deal since it gives a free class mastery for every character on it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Make Raphael your dancer because the dancer outfit, combined with his physique and hair, makes him look like a statue of a Greek god.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Make Raphael your dancer because the dancer outfit, combined with his physique and hair, makes him look like a statue of a Greek god.
The downside to that option is that Raphael's spell list is severely lacking, so he cannot achieve his dream of becoming Muscle Wizard.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I never use magic on dancers anyway, because dance is just too powerful to do anything else in player phase. Dodge tanks (Ferdinand) are the best mechanically because they can do that after dancing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Consider that the best daners are Hubert, Felix, and Marianne because none of them want anything to do with dancing and it is great.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hubert very obviously is secretly pleased to be made a dancer.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I made Lorenz my dancer on GD becuase I could, not becuase I felt it was a good idea.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BrightWing posted:

I made Lorenz my dancer on GD becuase I could, not becuase I felt it was a good idea.

It's probably the best use for him if you insist on using everyone in the Deer when playing as them. Lysithea and Marianne are already great mages, and Flayn's solidly good as well. Lorenz just doesn't compete.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes but what the hell else is Igantz going to do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hellioning posted:

Yes but what the hell else is Igantz going to do.

Stack Hit +20 with his native trait to deal with those obnoxious fliers who have far too much dodge and enjoy the authority strength to equip good battalions fast. I did that math hammer analysis of various character sets in FETH, including the archers, and Ignatz actually isn't noticeably worse (or better, to be fair) than Bernie or Ashe (or debatably Shamir, but she has prepromote shenanigans).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Cythereal posted:

It's probably the best use for him if you insist on using everyone in the Deer when playing as them. Lysithea and Marianne are already great mages, and Flayn's solidly good as well. Lorenz just doesn't compete.

Grinding out his fists and slapping some aura knucks on him is more viable than you'd expect