Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I love it when video games do a "tell don't show" and just tell me something that I did is bad without doing literally anything in-game to distinguish this particular map as different from any other map in the Fire Emblem series. How about you introduce Lonato before this map and talk to him a few times over the course of the game before now instead of expecting me to feel bad about this guy I've never met starting an uprising for reasons I won't learn until 40 hours later? How about making the enemies villagers armed with shoddy weapons, or who hesitate to fight you, instead of making them faceless Dark Mages and Myrmidons who aggro you on-sight just like every other map? How about giving them some dialogue? Anything?

When you talk to everyone before the fight happens, you do learn a lot of things about him. You learn he is well loved and kind, you learn he adopted Ash when Ash tried to steal from him, you learn he used to be Pious. After the fight, you have multiple people freaking out about how Rhea acted.

You never learn he is planning any kind of insurrection or anything of the sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also yeah, the story of 3 Houses is definitely hurt by the fact they chained themselves to the Monastery and the calendar/1 battle per month system. It makes a lot of things play out in a really contrived fashion for no real reason and railroads that story.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Arkeus posted:

You never learn he is planning any kind of insurrection or anything of the sort.

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Lonato posted:

In 1180, Lonato raises his troops in rebellion against the Church of Seiros, bent on revenge for them sentencing Christophe to death under false pretenses.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arkeus posted:

When you talk to everyone before the fight happens, you do learn a lot of things about him. You learn he is well loved and kind, you learn he adopted Ash when Ash tried to steal from him, you learn he used to be Pious. After the fight, you have multiple people freaking out about how Rhea acted.

Yeah the problem with people saying that it's weird for him to start a rebellion is that fact that he does and he's way into it. All these characters tell you "oh, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that" or "He wouldn't do that..." and then the player meets him and he is basically exactly the kind of person who would do that, where he's screaming about killing heretics and wants to do a violent coup very badly. This is the whole crux of show don't tell. You can't just TELL me that he's not the kind of guy to start a rebellion, I need to make that decision for myself.

Honestly, I suspect that at some point in development, it was going to be revealed that Lonato was bodysnatched by a Slytherin but that plot line was dropped. That would also explain why he's got that fake assassination plan on him.

.......this is making me wonder if Lonato was at one point supposed to have been framed entirely for this uprising

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah the problem with people saying that it's weird for him to start a rebellion is that fact that he does and he's way into it. All these characters tell you "oh, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that" or "He wouldn't do that..." and then the player meets him and he is basically exactly the kind of person who would do that, where he's screaming about killing heretics and wants to do a violent coup very badly. This is the whole crux of show don't tell. You can't just TELL me that he's not the kind of guy to start a rebellion, I need to make that decision for myself.

Honestly, I suspect that at some point in development, it was going to be revealed that Lonato was bodysnatched by a Slytherin but that plot line was dropped. That would also explain why he's got that fake assassination plan on him.

Yeah, there are some really weird cutscenes with Ashe and Catherine that don't really go anywhere. Then it just never gets mentioned again. There are more than a few areas of the game where you can clearly see the rewrites have been hastily stapled together.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zore posted:

Yeah, there are some really weird cutscenes with Ashe and Catherine that don't really go anywhere but hint Ashe found out something important.

Then it just never gets mentioned again. There are more than a few areas of the game where you can clearly see the rewrites have been hastily stapled together.

Did we actually stumble upon something with this

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah people talk about him the same way they talk about how nice Cornelia or Arundel were before. I think they just convinced him the old fashioned way though since he was already miffed at the church.

Edit: Could definitely see a cut subplot where Ashe learned Lonato was body snatched or something.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 30, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Captain Cappy posted:

Yeah people talk about him the same way they talk about how nice Cornelia or Arundel were before. I think they just convinced him the old fashioned way though since he was already miffed at the church.

Now see the whole thing with Christophe was so flimy that I wonder if that wasn't also another hastily-thrown-together plot device to give him a reasoning for doing a rebellion. The entire reasoning there of what he actually did and the reason for hiding it seemed really contrived and dumb

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The whole game is hastily-thrown-together plot devices.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Now see the whole thing with Christophe was so flimy that I wonder if that wasn't also another hastily-thrown-together plot device to give him a reasoning for doing a rebellion. The entire reasoning there of what he actually did and the reason for hiding it seemed really contrived and dumb

I was pretty sure there was going to be a reveal at some point that Christophe was body-snatched and Lonato rebelled because he would have correctly known there was no way his son was going to actually murder the archbishop so they were just lying to cover something much bigger up.

Like there are so many ways they could have fleshed it out more and it seems like they mostly tried to cut the difference.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm personally convinced that Christophe was body-snatched and Lonato rebelled because he had no idea what had happened, other than that it was horrible and the Church covered it up, so he reasonably assumed it was their doing.

E: This guy gets it

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

.......this is making me wonder if Lonato was at one point supposed to have been framed entirely for this uprising

I'm not sure a bodysnatched Lonato would have bothered trying to talk Ashe down (and Lonato still seems to be religious and supportive of Sothis, just disbelieving of Rhea: "Rhea is an infidel who has deceived the people and desecrated the goddess! We have virtue and the goddess herself on our side!"), but I could see them either talking him into it using snatched faces, framing him for it (and at that point he'd know that his only options was for everyone to be executed when the Church arrived or fight and somehow win) or snatched Christophe, which later down the line triggered Lonato to rebel as he "knew" there was no fair reason to kill Christophe.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 31, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Shinji117 posted:

I'm not sure a bodysnatched Lonato would have bothered trying to talk Ashe down (and Lonato still seems to be religious and supportive of Sothis, just disbelieving of Rhea: "Rhea is an infidel who has deceived the people and desecrated the goddess! We have virtue and the goddess herself on our side!"), but I could see them either talking him into it using snatched faces, framing him for it (and at that point he'd know that his only options was for everyone to be executed when the Church arrived or fight and somehow win) or snatched Christophe, which later down the line triggered Lonato to rebel as he "knew" there was no fair reason to kill Christophe.

Well, again, this isn't true in the version of the game that we got, but I think the framework is certainly there for a version of the chapter where Lonato was bodysnatched. Everyone talking about how great he was, how he was loyal and would never start an uprising - then you meet him and he's nothing like anyone says. Like, the story was there, just quickly covered with a thin layer of paint. Most of the pre-chapter dialogue in the monastery with students and even the post-chapter dialogue would actually make MORE sense if Lonato was bodysnathed. I actually think a Lonato snatching makes more sense than Christophe - I think Christophe was added in very late in development as a justification for Lonato to rebel after the bodysnatching plot was dropped. If he were bodysnatched, I think the game would have talked about him more in the same way they do people like Arundel. Arundel at least has a decent amount of incidental dialogue about him - Christophe is only ever mentioned as a plot Device.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lonato definitely is getting fed info from the Western Church, which we have heavily implied is all just Slitherer plans. The game multiple times mentions how the Western Church is becoming increasingly hostile to the Central Church, Lonato calls out that the central church is what needs to be destroyed, and christophe was implied to have ties to the WC as well, as why he turned against the church and Rhea.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Razzle, the reason people got so argumentative about you saying Rhea "should have been nicer" to make things ok is that in the context of the discussion "should have been nicer" means should have not been deliberately abuse and controlling through fear."

Like imagine if the scene was a pimp telling one of his whores that they were going to watch him execute one of their number because she snapped and tried to kill him. (After her friend died from an od due to the drugs he controlled her with, but they dont need to know that) But don't worry, the likely won't have to help with the execution and they're mostly just there to watch and understand what happens when they cross their pimp.

Rhea sending the kids in at all is incredibly hosed up, especially so with her stated reason.

And the bandit chapter you keep referencing doesn't get accepted and is shown in a negative light. Literally every kid has a line when they get their first kill on that map and the vast majority of them are "holy poo poo, I just killed someone" or "this is awful."

Really the thing with all the evil stuff the church does in act 1, I was surprised that got swept completely under the rug in act 2 for every route but edel's.

E: also lonato's shift from someone who would never do that to deranged zealot is very clearly explained in game by the trauma of having his son executed and then finding out the stated reason was a sham. Broken people causing mass suffering(see literally every leader but claude) is kind of a theme in the game.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 31, 2020

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Trying to avoid a lot of the story spoiler stuff, so I started with Black Eagles (still super early in the first chapter). Should I probably then do Blue Lions > Fourth > Golden Deer, or does it not really matter that much storylinewise? What order should I do this in, or does it not really matter?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I wouldn't recommend doing 4th and deer concurrently, they cover similar ground

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

Trying to avoid a lot of the story spoiler stuff, so I started with Black Eagles (still super early in the first chapter). Should I probably then do Blue Lions > Fourth > Golden Deer, or does it not really matter that much storylinewise? What order should I do this in, or does it not really matter?

It really depends on how many times you're going to play through the game. Almost all the houses have different storylines (Deer and one of the Black Eagle routes are very similar) and are worth playing, but even just playing through Lions, Deer and the other Eagles route (the ability to choose your BE route can be found if you explore+talk to everyone in Chapter 11, or more specifically if you accept Edelgard's invitation ) is something of an investment and involves playing through the first half of the game (before the storylines truly diverge) several times, which can be a pain.

Blue Lions is a very traditional FE story, Golden Deer/Black Eagles1(kill) is the "Fodlan Lore" story and Black Eagles2 (protect) is the most unique and revolutionary story.

If you were just planning three routes and were already on Black Eagles, I'd recommend Black Eagles2, Blue Lions and then Deer.

If you were planning on playing all routes and were already on Black Eagles, I'd probably go Black Eagles1, Blue Lions, Deer and then Black Eagles2.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 31, 2020

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Shinji117 posted:

It really depends on how many times you're going to play through the game. Almost all the houses have different storylines (Deer and one of the Black Eagle routes are very similar) and are worth playing, but even just playing through Lions, Deer and the other Eagles route (the ability to choose your BE route can be found if you explore+talk to everyone in Chapter 11, or more specifically if you accept Edelgard's invitation ) is something of an investment and involves playing through the first half of the game (before the storylines truly diverge) several times, which can be a pain.

Blue Lions is a very traditional FE story, Golden Deer/Black Eagles1(kill) is the "Fodlan Lore" story and Black Eagles2 (protect) is the most unique and revolutionary story.

If you were just planning three routes and were already on Black Eagles, I'd recommend Black Eagles2, Blue Lions and then Deer.

If you were planning on playing all routes and were already on Black Eagles, I'd probably go Black Eagles1, Blue Lions, Deer and then Black Eagles2.

So I'm not getting confused, Black Eagles1 is church and Black Eagles 2 is Edel?

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I would recommend saving before the Black Eagles route split so that you can go back and do the other one without replaying the beginning again.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

So I'm not getting confused, Black Eagles1 is church and Black Eagles 2 is Edel?

Yep
Technically they're Silver Snow for Church and Crimson Flower for Edelgard, but erring on side of "least info given means smaller spoiler chance.

Genovera posted:

I would recommend saving before the Black Eagles route split so that you can go back and do the other one without replaying the beginning again.
Good advice if your concern is saving time

But wasting xp+tutoring on leveling Edel+Hubert during Clouds when going Church Route, or letting two of your better characters languish for Crimson route is always a hard sell, at least for me.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 31, 2020

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

This part is more characte/mechanics spoilery but I don't care as much: If I do go Black Eagles1, I lose Edel and Hubert, but I've been investing into them. Is that wasted or do I keep that investment at all if I keep NG+'ing into her story eventually? I'm early enough on where I wouldn't mind restarting if it's wasted investment.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

This part is more characte/mechanics spoilery but I don't care as much: If I do go Black Eagles1, I lose Edel and Hubert, but I've been investing into them. Is that wasted or do I keep that investment at all if I keep NG+'ing into her story eventually? I'm early enough on where I wouldn't mind restarting if it's wasted investment.

you'll still be able to buy supports or skill ranks you gained for them in ng+. anything else is gone iirc

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

If, as you said, you're still "super early in the first chapter" then you probably haven't invested enough to really be bothered. But you should still be able to buy your weapon/support progress back with Renown if you want to later. IIRC, character xp is wasted, though.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 31, 2020

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If you're not playing on maddening, it doesn't really matter. XP is plentiful.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Shinji117 posted:

Yep
Technically they're Silver Snow for Church and Crimson Flower for Edelgard, but erring on side of "least info given means smaller spoiler chance.

Good advice if your concern is saving time

But wasting xp+tutoring on leveling Edel+Hubert during Clouds when going Church Route, or letting two of your better characters languish for Crimson route is always a hard sell, at least for me.

I probably wouldn't do it on maddening because of what you said but I don't think it's a big deal on normal or hard. I just worry that people will burn out on doing White Clouds for the fourth time (especially using the same set of characters) and end up skipping one of the routes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I personally can't imagine doing a half-playthrough of the game where I just picked up from before the timeskip and switched routes

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:lol: Having Edelgard fight Death Knight, Kronya, and Solon during White Clouds is great. All their lines are some version of "Wait. What the...? Are you seriously doing this right now?"

Also, I missed it on my first playthrough as the Bleagles, but Hubert straight up vanishes for the month of Edel's coronation. :black101:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 31, 2020

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yeah, people complaining about having to replay White Clouds is weird to me when it’s the best part of the game by a mile. You even get to do it with different units, it’s like a whole new game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

White Clouds is definitely the most cohesive part of the game, you can tell they spent the most time on it and the maps. After the skip the game is held together with band-aids and chewing gum

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Do this.

Black Eagles->Route 4->Blue Lions->Golden Deer.

Also White Clouds is good but also units are far more restrictive. I had much more fun by the end of Verdant Wind when all my unit builds were realised.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

White Clouds is good but it's not 'do it three and a half times for the full experience' good.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wonder if it would have been better to make you choose you're route at the end of White Clouds instead of at the start. It would allow you to not have to replay it four times for one thing. But also being able to get to know all the students would have given killing them actual emotional weight on your first route. Plus it would have made the two lords you never taught being obsessed with you make a lot more sense, since now you were their teacher too. The only real downside I can think of is the question of how to deal with say, siding with Claude but you made your team of ten out Lions and Eagles kids.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I did not like having to replay White Clouds the second time (1st: VW, 2nd: AM) because I would skip cutscenes if they looked the same as something from Golden Deer and then found out later that they were different.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
White Clouds would be better if it didn't force you to do the tutorial again even in NG+.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

God, Blue Lions is such a downer playthrough compared to Golden Deer. I'm only just past the timeskip, but it just doesn't let up with the angst. Thank god for Sylvain.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My time between playthroughs was such that I really don't mind. Maddening is basically a totally different game anyways, plus on my final time through I'll be nabbing the DLC to make it way different anyways

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Inu posted:

God, Blue Lions is such a downer playthrough compared to Golden Deer. I'm only just past the timeskip, but it just doesn't let up with the angst. Thank god for Sylvain.

It was a real downer on my end as well.

I just really hate AM, especially after how upbeat VW is.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

It was a real downer on my end as well.

I just really hate AM, especially after how upbeat VW is.

I can definitely see that, and it's more frustrating when it seems like AM got the most attention/development out of the routes. I really do like the Blue Lions though, except Dimitri and Gilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The nice thing about Blue Lions is that the main character is Dimitri and the antagonist is also Dimitri, so there's no way the two most important characters won't get enough screentime.