Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

Does Rhea play much of a role in Azure Moon?

Dimitri's mental state is the primary driver for the story in Azure Moon but Seteth's main goal is still Rhea. The two big plot points for the storyline is to restore the kingdom at the same time kill Edelgard. I will say I feel Azure Moon's story is more "grounded" and based more on the tragedy of Duscar and how people deal with war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that was a very circuitous way to say "no"

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Dimitri's mental state is the primary driver for the story in Azure Moon but Seteth's main goal is still Rhea. The two big plot points for the storyline is to restore the kingdom at the same time kill Edelgard. I will say I feel Azure Moon's story is more "grounded" and based more on the tragedy of Duscar and how people deal with war.

At the same time, the focus of AM is very much on the 'Tragedy of Duscur' (the royal assassination) and not on the 'Punishment of Duscur' (the genocide the Kingdom committed in response).

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Those are two events both under the name "Tragedy of Duscur", its just a euphemism.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

Those are two events both under the name "Tragedy of Duscur", its just a euphemism.
Not quite. The game does distinguish between the two, but because the focus of almost any Duscur discussion is about the assassination it looks like it's all being rolled into one when it's really just the characters talking primarily about the assassination, with the genocide as a secondary concern if it comes up at all. The Felix Dedue support is one of the only times the genocide is talked about as the main focus, and there the term for the genocide specifically is the punishment of Duscur.

quote:

Dedue: Faerghus destroyed my homeland. Burned it all to the ground. Slaughtered my people.
Felix: The punishment of Duscur.
Dedue: My father, my mother, my siblings—all were killed. We received no aid. No respite. Faerghus murdered our dignity and torched our pride. His Highness is different. He is the only one who sees my people as human. He risked his life to save mine. And it is thanks to him that I no longer wish for death.

Like, whenever Dimitri goes off on "we need to find the true culprits of the Tragedy of Duscur" he's clearly only talking about the assassination; if he was talking about the genocide then the culprits are pretty easy to find given that they're the Kingdom’s nobility, who have never covered up their actions in the punishment of Duscur.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 24, 2021

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I think you're maybe splitting hairs here; the events are seen as interconnected, an offhand remark by Felix isn't an official name being presented for the genocide and Dimitri pursues the true culprits behind the Tragedy because he believes the Duscur people were blameless, he can't punish the nobility publicly or go against them because they still have the public narrative that the Tragedy was instigated by the Duscurians backing their actions. That the genocide is generally seen as just an extension of the massacre of the royal family shows how hosed up Faergus is more than anything, and the fact its talked about it that way reinforces this.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So I feel like there's a good chance I'll end up doing Azure Moon but uh, is there anything interesting or redeemable about it's politics at all? Because what I've gathered aside from "these minorities didn't actually kill my dad but let's not worry about their genocide" it seems like Dimitri's all about "gently caress reforming or re-ordering society in any way, I'm the prince so things are good." Admittedly I got a lot of him on Crimson Flowers where he was like a somewhat heroic but misguided antagonist but it doesn't sound like he's fighting for much on AM other than idk, his own sanity? If Rhea's not in it much, if it's just mostly a character study, is there anything he's actually trying to achieve? Or just "No, Not Edelgard, Not Ever?" I've heard all three routes end optimistically with things poised to be better but I'm not sure how that squares with what I've heard about AM.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's largely 'yeah things are kinda messed up in Fodlan re: crests, when I finally become king I want to make a society where people will be treated fairly'. That said, aside from Sylvain, it's perhaps the most 'rigid' in terms of status quo despite the fact that many of its members (Ingrid, Annette, Dedue, Mercedes) have had their otherwise normal lives disrupted due to circumstance.

Azure Moon, without giving away too much, is largely a character growth journey. It's not so much political revolution as compared to CF/VW, so it's a much more 'typical RPG, not so much Fire Emblem where you kill god' route.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Digital Osmosis posted:

I feel like we're neck and neck, lol. I also am just getting into Golden Deer after a Crimson Flower run. One thing I did dig was that a lot of that detail was in the CF run, just abbreviated. Like I'm sure there's a ton of internal Alliance politics I'll get to soon but in CF it was basically "Claude has it on lock and turned their divisions into strategic neutrality / okay now that Claude's gone here's who we'll actually need to fight because everyone is is down with the empire.". Similarly I've read some of the lore spoilers that Golden Deer get into and knowing that Edelgard knew all that makes a lot more of her route make sense. Weird they didn't just have her break it all down though, you'd think someone who's whole deal is "gently caress the church!" wouldn't play coy with their secrets. Maybe she knew a little less than the whole story and didn't want to put any misinformation out there?

Gonna be real hard for me to be nice to Rhea on any of the other playthroughs but I'ma try my best. Might even marry her on SS, if I ever get that far, although that has very strange implications considering she's kind of your daughter and you're kind of her grandchild. Does Rhea play much of a role in Azure Moon? I know where Byleth ends up on that route so I'd guess no but on the other hand she seems so central to the Kingdom, they're all about that piety.

I kind of want to use Cyril on one of these runs. Any suggestions on what to do with him and who to pair him with? I don't particularly like his character, though I don't know him very well, but I love the idea of MAXIMUM STAT GROWTH.

Cyril has a funny support with Manuela and I would use him in VW since he has supports with Claude. His support line with Lysithea is also very cute. Cyril can be very annoying but I’ve come around on him a bit.

Mechanics wise having him to archer and brigand with the goal of wyvern rider is probably the best.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Cyril is weird because it's not 100% clear that the game realizes that he's the victim of Rhea's manipulation, as opposed to characters like Sylvain or Lorenz, where the game clearly knows what's wrong with them even if some people hate them anyway.

(In part this is because Rhea probably hasn't actually noticed the degree to which she's taking advantage of him to his detriment.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some supports indicate that Cyril's labor is far beyond what anybody actually wants from him. One of them, I think the one with Byleth where he talks about getting a message from Seteth, actually suggests that much of his activity is unneeded. It's less a matter of using this orphan as a menial servant, and more a matter that he's so starved for affection that he works himself to the bone in order to feel accepted. Like most of the cast, that boy needs therapy.

Of the three routes, Azure Moon is the one least concerned with the political implications of its events. I recommend against attempting a political reading at all, because you're gonna come away unsatisfied. Dimitri isn't motivated by ideology, and really significant revelations from other routes that could drastically recontextualize the entire premise are simply not acknowledged. In particular, forget what you know about Edelgard having or wanting independence from Those Who Slither in the Dark.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

So I feel like there's a good chance I'll end up doing Azure Moon but uh, is there anything interesting or redeemable about it's politics at all? Because what I've gathered aside from "these minorities didn't actually kill my dad but let's not worry about their genocide" it seems like Dimitri's all about "gently caress reforming or re-ordering society in any way, I'm the prince so things are good." Admittedly I got a lot of him on Crimson Flowers where he was like a somewhat heroic but misguided antagonist but it doesn't sound like he's fighting for much on AM other than idk, his own sanity? If Rhea's not in it much, if it's just mostly a character study, is there anything he's actually trying to achieve? Or just "No, Not Edelgard, Not Ever?" I've heard all three routes end optimistically with things poised to be better but I'm not sure how that squares with what I've heard about AM.
The politics of AM is standard “heroic prince returns to power after defeating evil empire, the end”. In most FE games that’s normal, but in 3H, with it’s focus on politics, it’s questions about what gives right to rule, and it’s focus on revolution and change, it’s...not great. Rather than talk about how feudalism is actually a continuous cycle of violence, AM is all about Dimitri personally. It’s his journey from somewhat-broken-but-covers-it-prince to murderous bandit to standard FE Lord and that’s it.

AM’s ending has things “poised to be better” because, with it’s hyperfocus on Dimitri, the bad aspects of Fodlan (caste system, feudalism, xenophobia, Slytherins etc) get basically no real attention. The Slytherins aren’t discussed at all, Rhea’s whole deal gets nothing, Byleth remains an enigma and Edelgard’s objectives aren’t elaborated on so that she can stay the standard Evil Invading Red Emperor who the Blue Prince must beat to Bring Back Peace. The ending is ‘good’ because A Good King and His Friends are in power, and the Bad Empire is defeated and that’s good, right?

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 24, 2021

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Azure Moon is basically Great Man History. Good things happen because they're ushered in by strong, good kings. If a King is bad, then the system should not be questioned, the King should be deposed.

I don't find it too bad because it's clearly standard fantasy faire that even LoTR fell into, but yeah there's not much hyperprogressive there in politics. I think the most interesting part of Azure Moon is collective trauma and how groups of friends deal with it.

EDIT: for what it's worth I think his politics make a lot of sense for somebody of that era and probably also for nobility in Fodlan as a whole... The idea that the system could work if only there weren't lovely people in places of power, is a strong one if you think you and your friends are The Good Ones. And while I'm pretty sure Dimitri goes on to do a lot of good things, there's no guarantee a future king won't undo them, so meh.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 24, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's not like any of the other routes result in republics or democracies, so I always found it weird when people complained about that aspect of Azure Moon.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
People like to project Edelgard as Lincoln when she's really closer to Louis XIV or Emperor Augustus. Shove nobility to the side and replace their power with civil servants (and the Empress herself)

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

AM gets poo poo for it because it's very clear throughout the entire route that the reason Dimitri thinks it's fine to keep status quo—that people will oppose a bad king—is constantly being proven wrong and the game doesn't even try to make it seem like the rest of the cast is even trying to stop him when he's at his worst. They just stand off the the side and fret.

None of the others have their route's claims proven to be absolutely nonsense by the text of the game. You can rightly point out that meritocracy is a fake concept for assholes, but the game doesn't go out of its way to prove that Edelgard is being an idiot for chasing it in her own route.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Hellioning posted:

It's not like any of the other routes result in republics or democracies, so I always found it weird when people complained about that aspect of Azure Moon.
While none of the endings actually get to full equality, there's at least some steps taken towards that ideal in CF, while AM can have the Blaiddyd dynasty still ruling Fodlan generations after Dimitri.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
He does set up some form of House of Commons, I thought.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Airspace posted:

He does set up some form of House of Commons, I thought.

The closest we have to that is his solo end (which leaves Slytherins unaddressed but w/e)

quote:

He was known for listening intently to the voices of all, and for instituting a new form of government in which the people were free to be active participants

What this is is completely unspecified, and nothing in-game (supports, dialogue, w/e) hints at what it would be either. It could be anything from a house of commons and constitutional monarchy to a suggestion box nailed outside the palace.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 24, 2021

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Shinji117 posted:

(which leaves Slytherins unaddressed but w/e)

I mean, in CF the Slytherins only appear in these end cards, meanwhile in AM you at least kill one of their agents.

Shinji117 posted:

What this is is completely unspecified, and nothing in-game (supports, dialogue, w/e) hints at what it would be either. It could be anything from a house of commons and constitutional monarchy to a suggestion box nailed outside the palace.

Sure, that's valid. As a counterpoint let me quote from Edelgard's.

quote:

In her later years, she entrusted her life's work to a worthy successor before finally vanishing from the public eye.

Edelgard's got a decent head on her shoulders for the most part, and probably will give the position to a Worthy Successor, probably someone else from the CF team. They also have good intuitions, and will also give the seat to a Worthy Successor.

But after that? After that? It takes one person to go "My Worthy Successor is my eldest child." And Fodlan goes right back where it was before.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
There is literally no system that could prevent that from happening.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Airspace posted:

I mean, in CF the Slytherins only appear in these end cards, meanwhile in AM you at least kill one of their agents.
I mean, in CF you also do that AND you have whole bunch of different characters who have endings that all independently go "and then the Slytherins got owned forever". AM only has one ending (Dimitri/Hapi) with any action taken against the Slytherins, and that ending is exclusive with the "encouraged participation" end (Dimitri solo).

Airspace posted:

Sure, that's valid. As a counterpoint let me quote from Edelgard's.

Edelgard's got a decent head on her shoulders for the most part, and probably will give the position to a Worthy Successor, probably someone else from the CF team. They also have good intuitions, and will also give the seat to a Worthy Successor.

But after that? After that? It takes one person to go "My Worthy Successor is my eldest child." And Fodlan goes right back where it was before.
I mean, sure but after (following your example) three generations of work at abolishing unfair power dynamics, a lot could have been done to either water down the powers of the head of state or cut at the concept of inherited nobility. Like, a large chunk of Edelgard's dialogue in supports or w/e is talking about how she wants a free and independent society, and I'm pretty sure she's put enough thought (she's the only character at Garreg Mach who enjoys reading books on the study of politics) into working out that the position of unfettered head of state is one that could be abused, and would take steps to address that (or at least leave that high on the 'to do' list for her hand-picked successor if she felt that she needed the power to get things rolling in the period of greatest pushback). Dimitri's longterm political view, by contrast, is basically a blank page so we don't know what he'd do or how far he'd go in making people "active participants".

All of this theoretical though, as all the endings are presented as "this works out in the end" (somehow), so it's mostly just a question of what the endgoals are and what was done in the process of reaching them rather than if they were achieved. As a player, you're supposed to assume that the Blaiddyd dynasty rules well for generations in AM, Claude does manage to make Fodlan more open to foreigners in VW, and that Edelgard does somehow institute a working meritocracy in CF. If the game actually ended with "the Blaiddyd dynasty hosed up, got guillotined and the Slytherins emerged victorious" or "Claude's pushes for diplomacy made Fodlan retreat in on itself even more, leading to even more xenophobia" or "Edelgard's reforms failed in the longterm and it was back to feudalism for another millenia" then no-one would be walking away happy.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 24, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Digital Osmosis posted:

You're getting into the thread descending into insanity territory. So allow me to cause it to happen faster.

No, the politics of AM aren't redeemable. The system that caused the genocide isn't questioned, it's reinforced.

The people who were forcibly conquered, then murdered are never given their freedom. This is excused because some of Dimitri's best friends are brown men.

AM made me really sad when I played it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I view Azure Moon as the "villain" route, both because of the events on that route and because I'd already played Crimson Flower.

I think the strongest case for Edelgard is Ferdinand. She desparately want someone other than Ferdinand to be prime minister because she finds him personally grating, but she has to concede that he has a lot of good ideas and is by far the most qualified candidate there is. Unless he marries Manuela, in which case she becomes the prime minister and he gets to be a stay at home dad, which is wholesome as hell.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Tired Moritz posted:

There is literally no system that could prevent that from happening.

Isn't that pretty much the point? All of the leaders do some kind of reform but none of them are that viable in the long run and the war fucks everyone over.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
But.... the future refused to change.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is why Silver Snow is the OTE because it tells every preexisting leader to gently caress off.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

not a bot posted:

Isn't that pretty much the point? All of the leaders do some kind of reform but none of them are that viable in the long run and the war fucks everyone over.

Or maybe all of them are viable in the long run. Who knows? Byleth is immortal and will keep that poo poo in check.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Or maybe all of them are viable in the long run. Who knows? Byleth is immortal and will keep that poo poo in check.
Immortal rulers (pre-Nemesis Nabateans and Rhea) have a great track record in 3H after all.

Also, you know, CF.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 24, 2021

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Byleth is me and I am never wrong, checkmate.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I view Azure Moon as the "villain" route, both because of the events on that route and because I'd already played Crimson Flower.

I think the strongest case for Edelgard is Ferdinand. She desparately want someone other than Ferdinand to be prime minister because she finds him personally grating, but she has to concede that he has a lot of good ideas and is by far the most qualified candidate there is. Unless he marries Manuela, in which case she becomes the prime minister and he gets to be a stay at home dad, which is wholesome as hell.

Their A support has Ferdinand basically come up with the idea of public schools and he says he wants to make that a focus of his work. Like his entire thing on nobility is he believes that nobles have the training and resources to do more than non nobles and that's why they have to be good people and do more than anyone else. So when Edelgard wants to disband the nobility he starts thinking of how to best share those advantages with everyone. This is why Ferdinand is best boy.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I think AM is able to handwave the dealing with the nobility responsible for the genocide question because like, half of them are probably dead from siding with Edelgard + Cornelia. The people who side with Dimitri are the new generation and heirs and he's a Good King TM who will help build a new relationship with Duscur, he's a good friend to Dedue! Just make sure you did his paralogue so he actually lives.

Its a very interpersonal lense but its the only one we really get for AM and reflects maybe more on the worldviews of the writers or the problems with the ideas they want to explore then on things internal to the text actually being way worse than we're making them out to be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The real biggest issue with AM is it tries to unironically go 'If the King is bad, the people will replace him' right after like a dozen chapters showing literally the opposite of that where Dimitri's friends and supporters are all super concerned about about him but sort of happily follow him on a suicide mission of vengeance and torture. The only real pushback he even gets is Byleth murdering a prisoner of war before he can gruesomely torture them.

And all of this is predicated on the fact that he's hallucinating and believing something that is explicitly not real.

Like goddamn, if he doesn't count as a lovely king that people should be giving pushback against at the point who in the gently caress would? AM would be way stronger and more coherent as a route if the others had abandoned him or given him an ultimatum before his big personal revelation instead of meekly just going along with everything and hoping it worked out. Also if he had abdicated and passed the throne to someone who was better at ruling.

Like I think AM has a decent emotional arc but it is absolute character assassination for most of the Blue Lions and makes them horrific cowards who undermine its supposed message.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yes but have you considered Dimitri is a total husbando

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I think the nobility aren't the 'people' as it were who are being alluded to here, or should be the final decider in these matters, and they're most of the default AM cast. Rather than that sort've self contradiction this of course leads to 3 Houses' writing problem over all in that it presents very little of the actual views of the peasantry/lowerclasses and them as actual people but spends a lot of time talking about what is supposed to be in their interest.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 24, 2021

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Yeah, the only true commoners in the game are Leonie, Raphael, Ignatz, and Dorothea as far as I'm aware (Ashe is an adopted noble, Mercedes and Dedue are special cases) and all of their stories and insights tend to be about their personal stories rather than commoners as a whole.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Raph and Ignatz are also from well off merchant families to boot. Leonie's the closest thing to a working class stiff you ever get for students, and then there's also Cyril who is a former child soldier, slave and now janitorial staff for the monestary.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Zore posted:

The real biggest issue with AM is it tries to unironically go 'If the King is bad, the people will replace him' right after like a dozen chapters showing literally the opposite of that where Dimitri's friends and supporters are all super concerned about him but sort of happily follow him on a suicide mission of vengeance and torture. The only real pushback he even gets is Byleth murdering a prisoner of war before he can gruesomely torture them.

And all of this is predicated on the fact that he's hallucinating and believing something that is explicitly not real.

Like goddamn, if he doesn't count as a lovely king that people should be giving pushback against at the point who in the gently caress would? AM would be way stronger and more coherent as a route if the others had abandoned him or given him an ultimatum before his big personal revelation instead of meekly just going along with everything and hoping it worked out. Also if he had abdicated and passed the throne to someone who was better at ruling.

Like I think AM has a decent emotional arc but it is absolute character assassination for most of the Blue Lions and makes them horrific cowards who undermine its supposed message.

thanks, I agree with this and I'm gonna steal this when I argue with people about AM next time.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Fire Emblem battles are like, who'd win between a church samurai and a pirate wizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

those are all good points that make sense to me. Now I know.

One day Fire Emblem will have a main character create a republic. One day.