Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I smell farts therefore I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
this thought terrifies me op and i really try not to think about it

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Inside Something Awful
Shitposts take their form

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I don't want to die

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
dying can be pretty hosed up, i imagine. hosed up and painful. but after that it is smooth sailing.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

house of the dad posted:

I don't want to die

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
The whole "your last moment lasts forever" thing can't be true, because once your brain dies you can no longer experience anything. Your consciousness doesn't exist outside your brain, and even if it did, it wouldn't be linked to your physical memory because the memory is contained within your brain. It's the physical neurons and connections that allow you to remember things.

Also, if that kind of time shift was possible, anyone who has ever passed out would have experienced it during those moments when their brain stops functioning. I have passed out more than a few times in my life because of low blood pressure and standing up too quickly, and if for some reason I did experience a time shift, I certainly don't remember it happening. So even if it is true, you'd be incapable of being aware that it's happening without a functioning brain to interpret those signals.

It's not the actual moment of brain death that scares me, it's the possible pain and suffering that could take place leading up to that moment.

Lovely Primate
Jan 21, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvdrrBwUnPo

In short: life is a dream and death is you waking up. hth op

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

ELO Musk posted:

Do you think a rock is angry that it doesn’t live?

Find a heavy rock. Stand while holding it directly over one of your feet. Ask that rock if it's angry. Then drop it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah but time is not real so from the perspective of your consciousness it might be an eternity.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Oh no that rock just tried to pet my neighbor's cat.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it’s great to me that the OP made this coward-rear end thread and then went on to call the people who are well-adjusted enough to not be terrified of the transience of existence 24/7 stupid

what a loving dingus lmao

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
we doing the goth thread again or we talking about bill and ted because i am down for either?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

RIP Chuck

Gone too soon.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

https://youtu.be/qK1BJkBJdtY

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I heard to avoid death you must become a Juggalo

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

hello

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I’m not ready for death!!!!!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

house of the dad posted:

I don't want to die

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

OMFG FURRY posted:

then you have a ton of hallucinations, one of which was an ocean of lighthouses that all represented different aspects of who i could have been, or could be, and then you go through all your memories until you relive your very first memory, and then you wake up and its a day later. or something. who knows.

Too bad BioShock Infinite's ending and its twists didn't make sense when you sat down and actually started thinking about them. Most of the concepts could've worked, save for the truth about Comstock - they should've dumped that one.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if there are infinite parallel universes maybe universes fragment every time you would have died and you always continue in a universe where you're alive

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm terrified of dying but I'm quite looking forward to being dead. I have a privileged life and it's still pretty much just dogshit and misery. For whatever evolutionary reason I'm terrified of the actual act of dying, the transition between life and death. But being dead is going to own.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
What if when you die, your timeline just resets to you being born again and we are all just living our lives in an infinite loop that will exist into perpetuity

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or maybe we go back to a character select screen and lament about all the gear we lost and then reconnect

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

when you die, it's over, finished, kaput, finito. so try to enjoy ur time w/ family and friends , op.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I strongly believe that my generation will be the last and the Earth will explode right after I die. Nobody will get to play the cool new video games after I die and there won't be any more good television. Everyone will be bored and forced to play with that old timey wheel and stick, whatever that is. Meanwhile I'll be dead and having a great time.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I like the way you fade to black when you're dying :allears:

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theres definitely not agonizing pain that makes every second seem like an eternity

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
The fuzzy prickly feeling and possible headache aren't as nice. But the world gets wavy in an interesting way.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Really we should all be used to it. We've all been dead way longer than we've been alive.

If the whole infinite universes and possibilities thing is true though wouldn't we eventually be alive again in some fashion though? makes u think

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is our consciousness merely a byproduct of a complex organic system or does it exist and persist in some manner we have no means of currently measuring?

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think we've wanted the latter to be true for a long time but we're actually creating it now with the internet. everyone that died before is gone forever imo

e: everyone that didn't make themselves known through something culturally significant enough to be remembered or just not conquered and destroyed

marijuanamancer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 21, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don't fear the reaper

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Unless he's comin for your taint. Thats a different reaper

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
In the same way that life was inevitable, I think it's inevitable that some organism evolves where it's able to pull you from oblivion and force you to make decisions for it. People say sleep is like death, but you get pulled from sleep every day. You're gonna be living forever whether you like it or not!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

When I die, I will become one with the mushroom people while they devour my rotting flesh.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
No bones about it

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Every time I ejaculate into a tissue a hundred thousand potential babies die so what is my own life in this ocean of carnage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
death is simply the next great adventure, OP. wondrous vistas of eternal happiness await you

unless you go to hell, of course, which you probably will, in which case you can expect an eternity of emotional torment and physical agony on a level you cannot even psychologically comprehend, forever. You will experience pain that would drive you mad if you had a physical body, but instead you'll just endure that for all time. Not only will you feel the worst effects of human loneliness and psychological agony, but physical pain too, without any hope of recourse or succor.

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 21, 2019