Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
This is the non-spoiler thread for the weekly episode discussion!

Big Brother US airs three-times weekly, on Sundays, Tuesdays/Wednesdays and Thursdays on CBS.

Thursday Show - Live Show where a player is evicted, Head of Household competition held or begins
Sunday Show - Post-HOH Competition events, HOH Nominations
Wednesday Show - Veto Competition, Re-nominations if needed

The season starts June 25th! The theme for this season is all about online trending. This season the House Guests will be assessed by viewers as either positive or negatively trending. Those who are the highest trending each week, will be able to enter the BB App Store, and choose a in-game power of some kind. Those who are negatively trending will be given some form of punishment.

What is Big Brother?

Depending upon your level of appreciation for gross filth, reality TV shenanigans and sometimes excellent strategic gameplay, Big Brother is either the bottom of the TV barrel or an entertaining way to waste the summer. The American version of the Dutch original, Big Brother crams around 16 people in a soundstage house for approximately 95 days. Each week the players or "House Guests" will compete in competitions to determine who has power in the house. The one who wins this power, the "Head of Household" (HOH) has the ability to nominate two people for eviction. These two players, the HOH and three other randomly drawn guests will compete in the Power of Veto competition. The winner of this power will have the ability to veto one of the nominations. If one of the nominations is vetoed, the HOH will have to replace the player who was removed. Once the final two nominees are set, the rest of the house will vote to evict one person from the game. The HOH no longer plays a part unless this vote becomes a tie, in which case they will cast a vote to break it. Once the player is evicted, all the guests save for the previous HOH will compete in a new HOH competition and the process will repeat itself.

Each week will follow this model with some minor variations. All through this process viewers are treated to "Diary Room" (DR) sessions, as the producers will privately speak with each player about their gameplay, their thoughts on other players and the game itself. This interview process also gives the DR the ability to affect the players in subtle or not so subtle ways. (Ex: So you won HOH, who will you nominate? Do you trust player X? Why? Do you believe what they say? Do you think you should make a big move? Is nominating player X really a big move?) The best part of this is that their usually comes across on the live feeds, allowing viewers to see from where plans and moves really come.

Strategy will come into play as alliances are made and broken to ensure ones safety. Unlike some shows like Survivor, this gives the chance for those low on the totem pole to gain power and strike back against majority alliances. Approximately 4-5 weeks into the game, all future evicted players will become members of the jury. Once the house reaches the final three, all three House Guests will compete in three rounds of competition for the final HOH. Once the final HOH is selected, they'll evict the final player. These final two will then go before the jury, who will then select a winner. The various competitions within the house means there are often several opportunities for people to obtain power and exploit it or fake sucking at competitions to fly under the radar. Both strategies often prove successful to various degrees. The strategy sessions among players often prove to be one of the best aspects of the show, as you get a daily running idea of who they are targeting, who they can manipulate to do certain things and ways to ensure they achieve their goals. There is also a generally reliable amount of schadenfreude, as those on the top often hit lows through luck or DR meddling.

Why should I watch?

Perhaps you're a fan or Survivor or Amazing Race or perhaps you've seen one of the other flavors of Big Brother from around the world like the U.K., Canadian or Australian edition. Big Brother U.S. takes many of the same concepts seen in reality competition while also giving one a semi-behind the scenes view of what's really going on. Because the online "live feeds" gives viewers a window into the house for 90% of the week, we can get a good idea of what's really happening with alliances and schemes, what the players are actually like, and what meddling is possibly happening by Big Brother to get certain things to happen. One can then compare that version of reality against what they see on their screens three nights a week on CBS. In past experience, this means that viewers are sometimes treated to racist, homophobic or sexist talk which never makes air. Sometimes this happens to such a degree as to force CBS to acknowledge these actions officially and on air, as was the case with Big Brother 15.

Unlike the original Dutch version and several other international versions, the viewing public generally has no part to play in removing players from the game. However they can sometimes affect certain punishments or rewards through online or phone voting. This can include the gross food choices for the Have Not selected House Guests, or possibly secret tasks assigned to them.

What should I watch?

If you're interested in looking into past seasons, I personally recommend checking out a couple of seasons to various degrees. They'll all available through CBS All Access on the cbs.com website:

Big Brother 1: Most closely followed the original Dutch premise, as viewers voted on who got evicted. The only U.S. season to follow this model.
Big Brother 2: Switched up the format to have the HOH nominate two for eviction and features one of the most highly regarded players in show history.
Big Brother 3: Introduced the Power of Veto, which gave the nominated a better chance to save themselves. BB US took on its present form with this season.
Big Brother 7: The first and only true All Stars season. Featured players from all the previous seasons, and includes one of the fan favorite alliances in show history.
Big Brother 10: General Goon consensus as one of the best seasons, featuring a memorable cast and another contestant in the running for the best in show history.
Big Brother 12: Worthy winner, with some solid gameplay. Features subsequent Survivor player Hayden Moss and unleashed Brenchel, the now married couple of Brendon and Rachel who you might have seen on The Amazing Race.
Big Brother 14: Return of four previous players who act as "Coaches" to newbies. One of the returnees being a fan favorite who displays some of the best gameplay in show history.
Big Brother 16: Solid gameplay from the eventual winner, who ran a clinic on how not to get targeted.

Seasons to avoid:

Big Brother 9: Slap dash writers strike spring season. The winner later went to jail for illegal oxycodone sales, the rest of the cast was all generally horrible. Possibly worthwhile as a train wreck.
Big Brother 15: The misogynist and racist season. The winner played a decent game, but they and most of the players were generally derogatory and deluded people.
Big Brother 18/19: Poor game play and winners, both seasons featured returning players which greatly hampered and negatively impacted gameplay.

Okay, I'm down to watch

If you're interested, you can tune in several ways:

The CBS Show: Airs three nights a week: Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday. Is a compilation version of what has happened in the house with a live Thursday show.
Big Brother After Dark: Airs every night for three hours from around 11-2 on POP. Rotates between live feeds, censors language and has commercial breaks.
Live Feeds Online through CBS All Access: "24/7" access to the feeds barring ceremonies, competitions and the Thursday live show taping. Also blanks out feeds when some legal issue may arise. i.e. copyrighted song singing or players speaking about someone by name who didn't sign off and allow that.
CBS also provides clips of various memorable events through their Live Streaming Player.

So what do the Live Feeds get you? Four camera feeds from inside the house. Generally two cameras focusing on an area each. Meaning two cameras will cover the same conversation from different angles, while two other cameras cover another conversation. Which room is being covered will be at the mercy of the guys and gals in the control room. They are generally good about switching to conversations/events most at interest strategically or those the most entertaining. It should be noted that live feeds are not required to get a feel for the show or keep up, but it might be of interest to check out one of the previous seasons, then look for live feed clips online to see how it works. If you do find you enjoy a certain player, the feeds give you the ability to see them a lot more, get a better sense of their game and personality.

If you don't get the feeds, you can also still get a daily/hourly/minute by minute run down of what's happening. As several websites post updates on everything that happens on the live feeds within the house. These include:

http://www.bigbrothernetwork.com
http://www.hamsterwatch.com
http://www.jokersupdates.com
http://www.onlinebigbrother.com

If you wish to jump in the live feeds and talk spoilers, head over to the live feeds spoiler thread here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Season 21 Cast:
  • Holly Allen, 31, Lander, Wyoming; Wine Safari Guide
  • David Alexander, 29, Atlanta, Georgia; Photographer
  • Nicole Anthony, 24, Long Island, New York; Preschool Aide
  • Tommy Bracco, 28, Staten Island, New York; Broadway Dancer
  • Kathryn Dunn, 29, Irving, Texas; Digital Marketing Executive
  • Kemi Fakunle, 25, Elkridge, Maryland;Marketing Strategist
  • Jessica Milagros, 30ish, Chicago; Model
  • Cliff Hogg III, 53, Houston, Texas; Petroleum Engineer
  • Ovi Kabir, 22, Oakridge, Tennessee; College Student
  • Nick Maccarone, 27, Sewell, New Jersey; Therapist
  • Jack Matthews, 28, Chicago; Fitness Trainer
  • Jackson Michie, 24, Nashville, Tennessee; Server
  • Christie Murphy, 28,Staten Island, New York; Boutique Owner
  • Sam Smith, 31, West Nanticoke, Pennsylvania; Truck Driver
  • Analyse Talavera, 22, Northridge, California; College Soccer Star
  • Isabella Wang, 22, Mount Olive, New Jersey; Public Health Analyst

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 20, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This starts TONIGHT. It really snuck up on me.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else really hate the "Key Reveal" scenes?

Like are we supposed to believe they are surprised to find a Big Brother key there, whilst being filmed by Big Brothers production team?

edit: and before anyone suggests they are being candidly filmed, you could see the boom mic in one of the scenes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They're pretty bad and pretty much consistently make me hate every one dimensional character they introduce with them. Every HG basically has to win me back after that.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

STAC Goat! I love you and miss you and hope you have a greasy season of watching.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I watched tonight after taking last season off while in the midst of sleepless nights that come with a newborn-ish child. Feels good to be back.

The last episode I watched was the Season 19 finale which I watched while my wife was in labor. My son was born the next day.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So far I enjoy the 2 beautiful dudes, Ovi and Tommy. I can’t wait to find out they are all racist.
Edit: Jackson may be crazy. That was quick. I was looking forward to a bromance.

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 26, 2019

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Where are the slime gifs??

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Good start to the season, annoyed that we're getting yet another pre-feeds boot. Since they're using the camp theme, whomever leaves needs to become a "killer" saboteur. Someone who has to do some secret tasks at night or something for a chance to get back into the house.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know its Big Brother and everyone is pretty but Analyse and Jack are like silly, distractingly, making me ask questions about myself pretty.

"I work in the oil and gas industry, I've had guns pulled on me all around the globe, and its the most fun job in the world."

:aaa:

Lots of crazy potential in this group. Christie, Nicole, Kemi, Jess, Sam, Tommy, and Kathryn all gave me various degrees of nutso vibes, Jackson seems like the cliche intense early burn out, and I have a feeling about Bella and Nick. Then again last season the first episode made Swaggy look like the most important person in the house and Angela seem interesting.

And first night evictions always suck.

Teek posted:

whomever leaves needs to become a "killer" saboteur.
Ok, I'm on board with with someone putting on a hockey mask and creeping around corners.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Exactly, dress them up and have them write messages and steal stuff in the middle of the night.

"For your first task tonight, take this bloody shirt and place it secretly in the back bedroom."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was thinking like "Jason" gets to sneak in through the secret doors and poo poo and "kill" someone if he catches them off guard. Then they're "dead" and like can't tell anyone who killed them and if "Jason" manages to kill everyone he gets back in but if someone kills him they get some power or...

I don't know. I just got done watching every Friday the 13th movie in May. My mind is in a weird place.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 26, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Balon posted:

Where are the slime gifs??

For you.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I was thinking like "Jason" gets to sneak in through the secret doors and poo poo and "kill" someone if he catches them off guard. Then they're "dead" and like can't tell anyone who killed them and if "Jason" manages to kill everyone he gets back in but if someone kills him they get some power or...

I don't know. I just got done watching every Friday the 13th movie in May. My mind is in a weird place.

This would be the greatest twist in Big Brother history.

EDIT: Removed a spoiler! (I got confused by the threads too vvvv)

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 26, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey, manc, I just realized I accidently posted a spoiler there so id appreciate it if you took it out for me. I'm very sorry to anyone who read it. If it helps it's not a confirmed spoiler, just a rumored one. But I'm sorry nonetheless.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sam is like some bro'd out version of Bobcat Goldthwait and I hate him.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sam is like some bro'd out version of Bobcat Goldthwait and I hate him.

Dude you just described Johnny Mac.....I'm gonna need you to come up with a better analogy, that one is already taken.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I just realized Jackson's head looks like a Lego person's head.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Guy's face is too fuckin small. I'm guessing he picks the Old Man, the +Model, Ovi and probably the Pre-School Lady who thought giving this guy her vote was a solid episode 1 betrayal.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He looks like someone photoshopped a smile onto a normal face

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Previously on Big Brother...

quote:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like how obvious it is that there isn't a person in that bag.

"Gotta take some souls."
What game does Jackson think he's playing?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
3 minorities and an old guy.....Jackson.....not a good look.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jackson is a remarkably unremarkable cliche. Thinks he's gonna bromance dominate every comp. Plays 100% of the gate while saying he shouldn't while saying he'll win everything. Just drafts people into alliances with vague threats. Offers people options that aren't real. Targets the non-pretty, non-white people. A weirdly overthought plan about returning pawns. Really creepy and offputting intensity.

I look forward to his Week 3 self destruction.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I have Sam in the Big Brother pool at my old work, and I really hope he'll grow on me.

JakeP posted:

Like are we supposed to believe they are surprised to find a Big Brother key there, whilst being filmed by Big Brothers production team?

edit: and before anyone suggests they are being candidly filmed, you could see the boom mic in one of the scenes

The weirdest was Nicole's dad coming into frame, asking her what she was doing, then saying "okay, bye".

Mahoning posted:

I just realized Jackson's head looks like a Lego person's head.

Dude has the weirdest jaw. It's not natural.

Mahoning posted:

3 minorities and an old guy.....Jackson.....not a good look.

Yeah...yeah.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol yes, calling someone named Tommie by Thomas will definitely blow your cover

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe its just all the NY accents that feel like home but I'm confused by Isabella's accent.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ahhh yes these first night alliances formed based on nothing but first impressions. These always last.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Nick’s haircut is ridiculous.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mahoning posted:

Ahhh yes these first night alliances formed based on nothing but first impressions. These always last.

Sadly the Week 1 cool kid alliance from last season sorta, kinda pulled it out* so it probably encourages all the recruits all the more.

*They turned on Rachel and Winston super hard. And Brent spent most of the season as a kamikaze double agent with the other side. And JC carried a lot of them. And they never would have gotten anywhere without Kaitlyn and Sam cluelessly assisting. And FOUTTE made an amazing number of mistakes.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Amazing thanks! Isabella getting laid out was incredible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am shocked that the bro alliance failed to dominate every comp in the very first endurancy one as they repeatedly insisted they would.

Shocked.

edit: HA! Nicole with the worst throw ever.

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How do you not all want Anal-ease to win

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

JakeP posted:

It's good practice for the confessionals where they talk about a comp that's already over as if it's still happening.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I was so happy when Cliff was the first back into the house.

I'm really sick of the older houseguests being the first boot, let's hope he can stay in it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Truck Driver going full Charlie Day when excited is going to get grating fast.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Ugh, yeah, already sick of him screaming in every DR.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Twin Cinema posted:

Nick’s haircut is ridiculous.

:emptyquote:

Aardvark Barber posted:

Ugh, yeah, already sick of him screaming in every DR.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I was watching this last night with my Mom and remarked after Jackson started his deliberations "I bet he picks David, Jess, Kemi, and Ovi or Isabella" and "You'd think BB would caution against doing that sort of thing after how seemingly racist the first few survivor boots tend to turn out. I was only surprised he went with the old guy over Ovi but I guess he saw a good excuse in "These guys all put their name in against me" and Kemi not talking to him. Then "Betcha theres accusations of racism over this" and of course there were.