Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just started episode one of the first season and I cannot tell these germans apart from one another. Is that racist of me?

If you cut open Germans, they bleed the same as you and me, friend.

But in time you will get to know these people and you will grow to love and hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I nearly cheered when they ended that early episode with a montage of the characters with their young and old selves together.

That's when I started to understand who everyone was (mostly).

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

sticklefifer posted:

BUT, every time the cycle repeats, there's something slightly different: Old Claudia teaches her younger self everything she knows, so that knowledge increases with each iteration because she learns more each time. She knows she needs to manipulate events to preserve both halves of the cycle for several iterations, until she can gradually gain enough knowledge to change things. This eventually leads her to the key piece of information: Time freezes for a split-second during the apocalypse, which if used in conjunction with the sphere, can break outside of time and create a 'bridge' back to the Origin. So it technically was never an infinite loop; something changed each cycle, so it was inevitable that Claudia would eventually figure out how to break it.
This is by far my favorite part of Season 3 and to me is a very satisfying way to interpret the time loop.

My wife actually figured this out before it ever happened, because watching it her biggest complaint about the characters is that the older versions are so intent on manipulating their younger versions, and that if they just worked toether they could easily solve most of their problems, which is exactly what happened to Claudia. I actually super respect the show for not outright stating what Claudia was doing, but leaving it to the audience to connect the dots. Instead of facilitating the loop, she made it her goal to use it for her own end.

Claudia was by far my favorite character in the show. I was super annoyed when it seemed that she was just going to be Eva's pawn, but when she shows up at the end of 3-7 I literally jumped out of my chair and cheered. Realizing that the whole time she'd been working against both groups and had successfully figured out the truth was incredibly satisfying. It helps too that, between the three lead Time Travellers, she's the only person that actually exists in the Origin World as well.

One other thing the show did that I really liked was prepare us for the erasure of the two universes. I'd have expected it to be sadder, but by the time we see it, every character who we actually care about is either already dead or has endured so much suffering and corruption that oblivion, at least to us the viewer, is preferable.

Great show. Season 3 had some problems, but only so much as to keep it from becoming absolutely legendary.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I understood pretty much everything but there are
two things I never saw an explanation for.

Where did the time sphere come from? I assumed that Tannhaus in Eva’s world created it but we are never shown that part.

My memory may be mixed up but back in season 1 I remember there were two other bodies found besides mads. Who were the other two?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

I understood pretty much everything but there are
two things I never saw an explanation for.

Where did the time sphere come from? I assumed that Tannhaus in Eva’s world created it but we are never shown that part.

My memory may be mixed up but back in season 1 I remember there were two other bodies found besides mads. Who were the other two?

The other two bodies were found in 1953, they were Erik Obendorf and Elisabeth's boyfriend Yasin.

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008
Just binged all of this over the course of about a week. With all the bullshitting these people do when talking to each other, Adam actually being who he claimed to be in Season 2 genuinely felt like another twist. Good show! bit of a downer.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Strange Matter posted:

Great show. Season 3 had some problems, but only so much as to keep it from becoming absolutely legendary.

I really wish Netflix had given them 33 episodes to let the pacing breathe a bit. The three seasons were 10-8-8, but 10-10-13 would've been the perfect length for how densely packed season 3 is.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Yeah, Season 3 really felt like it put the bare minimum of effort into establishing Eva's universe. Between the Was Welt grenade, how Erit Lux even happened (Sic Mundus predated Jonas/Adam taking it over, so where did Erit Lux come from?) and the Unknowns the show runners were clearly pressed for time on some real levels. It also would have been nice to have a little more emphasis placed on Tannhaus' role in the story, since he ends up being the crux of the whole thing).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I just started S3 and I'm FrEaKiNg out

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Matter posted:

Yeah, Season 3 really felt like it put the bare minimum of effort into establishing Eva's universe. Between the Was Welt grenade, how Erit Lux even happened (Sic Mundus predated Jonas/Adam taking it over, so where did Erit Lux come from?) and the Unknowns the show runners were clearly pressed for time on some real levels. It also would have been nice to have a little more emphasis placed on Tannhaus' role in the story, since he ends up being the crux of the whole thing).

I just finished watching the whole series and I feel like they didn't need to establish it too much, since it's just a mirror universe and a lot of things are similar. Personally when I started season 3 I hoped they wouldn't delve too much into that universe since we had watched 2 seasons of Adam's universe and the events there and pulling out another world when the series was near its end would feel a bit repetitive, at least to me. I sincerely didn't think they'd introduce the concept of alternate universes so late into the whole thing, although it was kinda obvious in hindsight with the whole 3 motif going on

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Just finished season 3 episode 3 (Adam and Eve). I think season 1 is the strongest so far. I liked the simplicity of the tunnel and the space in the storytelling that allowed for some actual character interactions. Season 2 felt mostly irrelevant in terms of actual plot - it really was just a season of moving chess pieces around the board, but there aren't any further thematic developments. You can't change the past, you don't control the future, you just have to reconcile that your life is your life and you have to deal with it. Nobody communicates and secrets always destroy. Which were the points of season 1, but how many times are they gonna outright say that to the audience? We get it.

Season 2 is just people doing things because their older selves tell them to. It's kind of hard to stay invested when people's actions are the result of being told to do them, rather than, say, their internal character and motivations driving them to do those actions (even if they're the same ones they've always done and ever will do.) Zero actual character, they're all just blank slates for their future selves to wind-up and unleash.

I would have liked to see far more time spent with each character in each time period. It was so rushed, especially Jonas in the future. Allow space in the story for a plot to develop. You could have everybody stranded in different time periods, trying to make their way in the world, forming new connections with different characters, with time travel shut down. Ulrich in the 50s could actually have had time to do more than just smash his face head on into getting arrested. Instead everybody and their grandmother have a time machine, zipping around to and fro. All story, no plot.

It's a puzzle piece production, where they hinge your interest in the show on your willingness to unpack the timeline and figure out how everything is connected, but they aren't really giving me a reason outside of that why I should do that. How about some clarity on what people are trying to achieve? Especially Claudia. Is that why I should keep watching, just to see what people's grand plans are? That's basically reverse storytelling. And now, in season 3, turns out, Eve was working for Adam and it's all part of his masterplan! UUUUUUGH. No faster way to make me not care.

Everybody is so freaking miserable, constantly on the verge of tears, I don't think a single person has smiled this entire show, Peter drives me nuts, middle age Claudia is in a state of perma-deer-in-headlights, and Jonas, dude, I get that she was your first gently caress and she's pretty, but drat man, get over it and move on.

drat that got more heated that I was expecting. I guess I like this show less than I thought I did.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 15, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Kid just wants to have sex with his aunt, let him be.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Kid just wants to have sex with his aunt

The whole show in a nutshell

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

stratdax posted:

drat that got more heated that I was expecting. I guess I like this show less than I thought I did.

I agree with all of this. Season 1 felt near perfect to me in terms of pacing, mystery, plot and character development. Halfway through season 2 after maybe the fifteenth time I had to watch a character look blankly on as someone else explained the utter inescapability of time loops, I was ready to top myself. Season 3 didn't get much better and each new twist didn't really stir much emotion in me at all.
The Tannhaus origin planet stuff whilst nice, seemed like a very last minute tack on which just reduced all the characters struggles before it to nothing. They're just a dream

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
There is a really wild amount of scenes with characters standing around with mouths agape on the verge of tears in the last couple of seasons. It happens constantly

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Are we supposed to assume that the apocalypse was the black sphere expanding outward across the planet and destroying everything? It seems like a small thing in the whole story, but I never got a sense of what happened, since the sphere seemed more local and not world encompassing.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

latinotwink1997 posted:

Are we supposed to assume that the apocalypse was the black sphere expanding outward across the planet and destroying everything? It seems like a small thing in the whole story, but I never got a sense of what happened, since the sphere seemed more local and not world encompassing.
The implication I think is that the black sphere is what destroyed Winden, and the rest of the planet was affected by something more akin to a global-scale EMP pulse, except with time.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Been a while since I saw the last season, but the impression I got was that the black sphere event caused time to skip by a millisecond or so, and since the planet and everyone on it is in motion this caused a ton of damage- earthquakes and giant tsunamis and such.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sorry for the thread revival, just finally caught up on seasons 2 and 3 and I still want more people to watch this show!!

While I got a bit exhausted by some of the repetition, I thought it at least had a purpose. I love the murkiness of the message by the end, where from a certain point of view (ie his, if looking at it selfishly), Tannhaus's time machine worked perfectly. He got his problem fixed with no clear consequences!

He just happened to kill... who knows how many "hypothetical" people along the way. Billions? Billions in each and every variation of the cycle, times two alternate realities? I liked the emphasis on characters who "never exist" by the end, and the scary fact that their experiences were still real.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Just finished bingeing this. By far the best moment for me was when we first see alt world Wöller and he’s missing an arm. Guy just cannot catch a loving break!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
For those who want more moody mysteries of people returning from the past, Netflix has Katla from Iceland. It's set downwind from the Katla volcano which, after a year of eruptions, has melted a glacier to reveal something very unusual.

First episode was solid with some stunning volcano scenes with great CGI or just a camera pointed out the window in Reykyavik last year.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Communist Bear posted:

The last problem I have is that, it renders all of the intrigue and plot points of the first and second season mute. None of it matters because we've just erased both timelines. Admittedly that was probably going to happen anyway, and from a writers perspective of doing time travel there is probably no easy way out of that, but to a viewer it could be a bit of a kick in the crotch!

I've found that this drastically reduces the show's rewatchability. The ending retroactively renders just about everything moot. The 2nd time through it was dark, dreary, slow, and boring. It's a metaphysical puzzle box, and once the puzzle has been solved there's not much to do.

I loved this show but probably will never watch it for a long time, if again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

el oso posted:

There is a really wild amount of scenes with characters standing around with mouths agape on the verge of tears in the last couple of seasons. It happens constantly

There's a perfectly valid explanation for that. It's a family trait.