Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm glad I rewatched the first season before starting this one, it's a necessity. God drat. What a show. Thoughts after binging seasons 1 + 2:

- Going back to season 1, Hannah blackmailing Aleksander to 'destroy' Ulrich seemed like a plot thread that was going nowhere even in season 1? I mean, we already got the newspaper article from 1953 that implied Ulrich wasn't going to escape. I guess it served the purpose of showing that Hannah is relentlessly bitter and cruel when it comes to Ulrich.

- Though Charlotte's suddenly important origin felt a little like something they just came up with for season 2 (I'm sure it wasn't, everything feels very well planned in hindsight), what they came up with is bonkers in a good way. The idea that Elizabeth was actually Charlotte's mother came to me just before they confirmed it, and I started calculating: Charlotte's in her 50s, Elizabeth is like 11, if she'd have a baby in about 10 years it'd be 2029, that baby gets taken back two increments of 33 years, then it's 1963, which would make her... 56 in 2019. It all works out.

- Wöller almost explaining his eye was a great laugh.

- Thank gently caress Magnus grew out his hair

- Lots of genuine tearjerker moments. Old Ulrich reuniting with Mikkel was tough. I felt massively frustrated when Mikkel said nothing as the cops pulled them apart. I guess the idea might've been that Mikkel is in kind of a permanently druggy state because Ines is feeding him sleeping pills on the reg? Seeing Jonas hug Michael was worse, I think that hurt for anyone who's lost a father and wishes they could see them again.

- If there's one thing that stood out to me to make no sense this season, it was Jonas believing that preventing Michael from committing suicide was going to fix anything. I can't think of any repercussions the suicide had that directly led to the events that followed. I mean, I guess it broke up Jonas and Martha temporarily, but the kids went to the cave on the night Mikkel disappeared because Erik had disappeared.

- Having a time travel story where you just have three (or more) points in time that progress at the same speed is really fascinating and refreshing.

- I am consistently loving baffled how good this show is at finding actors who actually look like older/younger versions of each other. Like, I had to look up if the actors playing old/young Aleksander were maybe father and son. The actor who plays Michael bizarrely looks like a grown up Mikkel too, at times.

- I'm curious also how German-speaking viewers judge the performances of the actors? I find it hard to make a good assessment when I don't fluently speak the language myself, though I have no complaints.

- I'm also thinking Adam is lying about who he really is. Bartosz seems the most likely candidate, since he survives the apocalypse, but still we haven't seen a future version of him.

- The season ender, alt-Martha with her spaceball seemed kind of lame, but I thought the same of "welcome to the future" at the end of season 1, and that worked out. Can't wait for the last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DuhSal posted:

excellent. I was waiting for this announcement. time for a rewatch!

Absolutely, if only to get everything in my head again. Maybe I'll try it with the English dubbing this time!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fedule posted:

I reached S2E1 in my rewatch and said "mother fucker" out loud in my empty room

:prepop:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I held off on watching the third season for about a month, ended up rewatching the second and then the first season again. Finally watched it over the course of the past two weeks. It was a trip, not the big mindfuck I hoped it would be, but I was left fairly satisfied. I think it might've helped to actually tone down the tangled plots a bit and focus more on the last part of the main characters' journeys, but I'm good with how it ended. My thoughts:

I do get the feeling season 3, unlike 2, might've seen some significant changes from original plans. Like, things were thrown around a little. The 7th episode in particular, where it feels like clean-up before the final episode. Bartosz meeting Silja is just done in a snap. And Hannah popping in with young Silja just to round out her role (though, I did think her conclusion with Adam was fantastically chilling). And while the monologues are always nicely written and delivered well, particularly in the final episode I got a little fatigued of Adam, Eva and Claudia waxing about everyone's Schiksal and how NOW, everyone was finally ready to understand.

The dual family tree in Eva's "headquarters" was mindblowing. I had to pause the episode right there and just sat piecing together names for a while.

The parallel worlds thing made things pretty complicated, especially trying to keep track of where/which Martha was. In particular the episode where the freshly scarred Martha kills Jonas, and then you see Martha in her 1888 dress get stuffed into a cage by Silja, had me rewinding and scratching my head. They of course presented us with the Schrödinger's cat experiment to foreshadow the idea that two conflicting events could occur simultaneously, but reconciling that was tricky. I thought I had it figured out when I assumed that I was seeing bits from different cycles, where things happened a little different but ultimately met at the same point. But I'm not sure if that works when Older Jonas remembers a past in which he saved himself from the Apocalypse by hiding in the basement, in the same cycle where Alternate Martha saved Jonas.

I do love how the show got to play around with the concept of slightly different mirror images of the characters, though. Hearing Elizabeth speak was a trip, Woller missing an arm instead of an eye, the 80s kid's room for the time machine experiments is yellow instead of blue, etc.

I thought it was a slight shame they relaxed the rigid rule that time travel could only occur in increments of 33 years. I thought that restriction was really interesting in a time travel story. I think Hannah breaks it when she appears at Tannhaus's factory (was it 1911?) with Silja being about 8 or 9 years old. Unless my math is off. And of course, Martha and Jonas travelling back to the 70s in the final episode.

The conclusion they went with was sweet, but I was kind of hoping the solution would've been something staring us in the face the whole show. "Prevent a tragedy so the guy doesn't invent time travel" was kind of Hollywood. For a moment, though, I thought Martha and Jonas were going to CAUSE the accident, as I'm sure did many other people (and perhaps that was intentional by the showrunners). I wouldn't have minded a dark "you're trapped in the loop forever" ending. I guess I was hoping for something that would blow my mind, the way some moments in the show did (like finding out Charlotte and Elizabeth are each other's mother AND daughter).

The ending with the childhood friends was also quite sweet. I like that Peter and Benni apparently ended up together. And bookending it with Woller still not getting to share his secret was real funny.

No matter what doubts I might have about the story, the show was absolutely gorgeous to watch. Great use of effects both complicate and simple, but the camerawork and set dressing, man. Season 2 had that one episode where you get contemplative, fantastical shots like Katharina imagining Mikkel back in his bed, and it just looks beautiful. I really hope I'll see more of these actors in times to come. And again, loving amazing how this show managed to find actors who are good at their job AND recognizably look like older/younger versions of each other. I can not get over that.

edit: poo poo, in my excitement to jot things down, didn't think to use spoiler tags.

Also, a bunch of stuff I wasn't clear on got cleared up by reading the last few pages!

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 3, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't think they showed it, did they? Just Charlotte and Elizabeth stealing the baby, and earlier Tannhaus telling young Charlotte that two women showed up with her on his doorstep.

One thing that bugged me was that we got no acknowledgment of either Bartosz or Hanno/Noah taking on the last name Tauber, even though it's simple enough to figure out by yourself - to not raise unwanted questions once Tiedemans show up in Winden. But it does feel like something they would've addressed if they'd had more time for that bit of story.

edit: lol, Tauber translates as "deaf?"

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
At the time of watching I figured he was trying to kill her, but that still wouldn't make any sense.