Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I binged the whole series over the weekend. Stranger Things 3 was much better than I expected but this really shone.

I spent yesterday thinking about the ending of season 2 and I can't help but wonder if alternate timelines are something that's actually new. If they didn't, how could they have escaped the apocalypse? Adam's door seems to be the first instance of someone harnessing time travel at their whim to visit any location. Even if there was another method, who was supposed to pick him up? Wouldn't they have shown up before he was taken by Martha B? If this was planned, it makes the answer of what happens next even more interesting to me honestly. It also lends itself to Jonas/Martha at the top of the "Tree" but it's Jonas A and Martha B

Season 2 has much more a 12 Monkeys the Series vibe with a lot more of time loops circling in on themselves and other relationship paradoxes. I am curious about what outcome they want us to root for though since neither Adam nor Claudia are that sympathetic or altruistic in their reasons for wanting their particular opposing result.

Also, I'm in the camp that Noah's first victim is Aleksander. I think that without Aleksander, there's little reason for the inspector who comes in to look harder at Kohler. Without that extra level of scrutiny and without it being so personal, the inspector wouldn't have pushed to tear open the plant and cause the apocalypse.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

blue squares posted:

I must be the only one that found season 3 a disappointment. Too convoluted but I did like the ending

It's not that I found season 3 a disappointment so much as I missed the complex family drama part that was much more prevalent in season 1 and 2. Season 3 was very action and reveal focused (as it should be considering it's wrapping up the series) but the cost of that is the daily life drama the permeated the story.

I enjoyed it a lot but I think I would've enjoyed it more if I binged it front to back, the whole thing plays more like a 26 hour movie than a 3 season story.

The moment that really hosed with me this season was straight up Katharina being killed by Helene who then went home and beat the poo poo out of Katharina. The cherry on this is remembering back to Bartosz telling Martha about the dead body in the lake. A close second is Elisabeth and Peter's last day in Bernadette's trailer.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

xerxus posted:

So did the Origin gently caress both versions of Agnes, and abuse both versions of Tronte?

I'm not very satisfied with the ending.
Did not like the Out of the Blue secret Third World that magically had the solution. It didn't feel connected enough to the rest of the series. Once Claudia had the knowledge why didn't she just do it herself? It's not hard to stop the Tannhaus boy from driving off and being killed. Just go back 20 minutes earlier and sabotage the car in the Origin World.

To piggyback a little off of what Chef Boyardeez Nuts said.

Jonas and Martha don't exist in the real world. Both of them only exist because of the spiraling paradoxes. Claudia on the other hand absolutely exists so if she were to attempt to stop Marek, it would either always fail (for the same reason that Jonas couldn't kill himself) or it would create another paradox that puts them right back in the same (or worse) situation.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Scoss posted:

In enjoyed watching it all, but season 3 didn't feel as tight as 1 and 2, and I did not super love how "magical" things got at the very end.

Was there never a scene that explained why Adam is the only one who suffered disfiguration from time travel? I was expecting some kind of late reveal of a time where he had to repeatedly travel in order to accomplish or find or fix something. Seems like it just ended up being a convenient way to hide his identity.

Regarding Adam's disfiguration, I took the scene of Jonas getting the lash of electricity as the start of that. The understanding that it wasn't time travel that made him look the way he did but his trial and error building the machine for traveling that scarred him up and down. It's not as "obvious" as like Martha's face scar and could've used more scenes of him getting hosed up by the machine but I'm pretty sure that's what they were trying to do.