Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A while back I found an interesting blog series about dead fandoms - pop culture artifacts that once had a dedicated following that for one reason or another died. We live in an era where nothing ever seems to die, there's always another reboot down the line or a sequel or whatever, so hearing about once big properties that are well and truly dead is a real curiousity. Can anyone give me anymore examples of this kind of phenomenon? The more obscure the better, I love reading about this kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Remember ALF? He's back. In pog form.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It’s impossible to tell which niche property will make a comeback in the current love of rebooting franchises for new series, but I would’ve expected some sort of resurgence of Xena or Anne Rice stuff that for whatever reason hasn’t happened

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ready for the Gobots to finally get their movie!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Way back in the day, I remember fans of the Descent series being absolutely convinced that the future of first person shooters - which they dismissed/insulted by calling them groundpounders - was in games like Descent: full degrees of motion, joysticks as the main form of control, etc.

Naturally, I recall a sense of dying when... well, Descent had a gimmick but games like Quake et al had audiences. I just checked an old forum I used to visit (descentbb), and while it's not offline, the amount of users is paltry.

I think they produced a text documentary of the fall of the franchise (and how sad it is, etc) called something like Fahrenheit 360 or something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nobody visits my AngelFire site about Earth 2!

Kashclarke
Feb 13, 2015
When is updated Reboot? It's in the name

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dead fandoms? What about SomethingAwful?! hey-oh!!!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MisterBibs posted:

I think they produced a text documentary of the fall of the franchise (and how sad it is, etc) called something like Fahrenheit 360 or something.
so a book? or a post?

Kashclarke posted:

When is updated Reboot? It's in the name

they already did and it died already too

Kashclarke
Feb 13, 2015
Ok didn't know that

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Coolness Averted posted:

so a book? or a post?

I remember it being, like, a Word document. I kinda want to say this was a preliminary version, but this was ages ago.

I remember it ending on an unintentionally hilarious ending that was, paraphrased, will gamers eventually have the same six degrees of freedom again? thing, like it was a tragedy or whatever that a game whose multiplayer didn't let you use mouse and keyboard controls (because it was faster than a joystick) didn't do well.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Mantis42 posted:

A while back I found an interesting blog series about dead fandoms - pop culture artifacts that once had a dedicated following that for one reason or another died. We live in an era where nothing ever seems to die, there's always another reboot down the line or a sequel or whatever, so hearing about once big properties that are well and truly dead is a real curiousity. Can anyone give me anymore examples of this kind of phenomenon? The more obscure the better, I love reading about this kind of thing.

WAIT WAIT WAIT

Turok was an old comic book???? :psyboom:

EDIT - Holy crap I had no idea, this is blowing my mind

Super Waffle has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Jun 22, 2019

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

They are underwater.... They are on land? They.... :psyduck:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Super Waffle posted:

WAIT WAIT WAIT

Turok was an old comic book???? :psyboom:

EDIT - Holy crap I had no idea, this is blowing my mind

"Hunger crazed honker" is ace at least.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

God, it does suck that Descent style games never took off. They were so good.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DicktheCat posted:

Look up Overload, you might like it.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

DicktheCat posted:

Did you play Freespace?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
How come Dexters Laboratory never got a proper release on dvd or anything

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

Cartoon Network is known for being really terrible at home releases of their stuff, basically. If it's not available on one of the digital purchase sites, you're best served just pirating.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Here's part 3 of the blog posts.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
This one is rather niche and personal, so bear this in mind while reading:

If you used to play MapleStory back in the mid-to-late 00's you probably heard of BasilMarket - the unofficial auction house to the game, because the game has yet to have its own. It worked a lot like Ebay - you'd bid on something, message the seller, and meet up in-game to make the transaction.

Specifically I want to focus on the forums: it was a very well moderated and active community of kids and teenagers. The official MapleStory forums were full of trolls and (strangely enough) neo-nazis. So another place to chat about the game was good. Also the requirement to post on the forums was to have at least 3 positive reviews be left on your record as an auctioneer, so it had a somewhat basic way to filter out shitposters (until they dropped that requirement off in later years).

I'm showing pictures of the off-topic subforum (which is the liveliest of the subs) as a contrast to the fact that the site is still alive (if you're on the phone right now don't bother clicking because the site is not mobile-friendly), but the community grew up and left. If you thought SA was a dead forum - this one is the skeleton left after everything else decomposed.

Nowadays it's just a forum. The auctionhouse part of the site has been removed, and so have many of its colors.
The last stickied posts from the site creator is "We're not dead!" and "how do we keep things alive?" threads.... made in september 2017.
the latest threads of some of the subforums are from three years ago.

the existing "community", i believe, comprises of about 5 regulars who post like once a week, 7 twenty-somethings posting once a year about their nostalgia to the game, and another 5 users who are bots.

I think the site runs only for nostalgic purposes now. you can find your old account and see how many days your account existed (4044 for me).
It's just jarring to see the site that i frequented everyday in my childhood become.... this
----

I believe in general most of the F2PMMO's of the 2000's are probably dead. So stories of those could be interesting.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Whoops, I can't believe I left this out. Thanks

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Solar Tornado posted:

I believe in general most of the F2PMMO's of the 2000's are probably dead. So stories of those could be interesting.

Furcadia is still going. :haw:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I don't even remember the names of them to check out, but I wonder if this is the same sort of deal that the old trade-items services/forums for Diablo 2 were. Especially when the third game rolled around and it came with an actual auction house to handle all that stuff.

Like everyone, I hated the real-money auction house, but I really liked the fake-money auction house in D3, and I was vaguely bummed when it was removed. Felt good to get over a hurdle or two by buying things with in-game gold every once in a while. Rather obviated by how the game plays now, but still.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Solar Tornado posted:

Kingdom of Loathing still exists and is being actively supported, albeit with a lot of grumbling from the playerbase about how the developers are neglecting it, because that's late-stage MMO life for ya.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nowhere Man. Great thriller/conspiracy show that was probably ahead of its time. There were fansites back when I was in college while it was on air and then later theories about how it might have ended, etc. after it was killed off after one season.

Now, most people have never heard of it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That blog reminded me of the Tripods books, which I'm pretty sure were never actually any good. Time for someone to buy the rights up cheap and make a movie I guess.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

FactsAreUseless posted:

That blog reminded me of the Tripods books, which I'm pretty sure were never actually any good. Time for someone to buy the rights up cheap and make a movie I guess.

Disney owns it and has since the early 2000s iirc

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Is Twilight fandom dead yet?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

It got one in 2017 in region 4, probably easy enough to import if you’re really keen.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-childrens/dexters-laboratory-collected-experiments/498900/

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Antivehicular posted:

Kingdom of Loathing still exists and is being actively supported, albeit with a lot of grumbling from the playerbase about how the developers are neglecting it, because that's late-stage MMO life for ya.

Honestly, KoL never quite feels like an MMO to me. Also, how can it even truly be neglected? Has there even really been any substantial new content added since NS13? The Sea, maybe? I thought Mr. Store items and challenge paths were basically the way forward.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Browncoats as a fandom aren’t dead but they depress the hell out of me and I wish someone would put them out of their misery. The show is never coming back given Whedon’s past statements and a few lovely novels and comic books barely counts as providing fresh new content.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Is Twilight fandom dead yet?

Pretty sure they became the 50 Shades fandom, so depends on whether that's still a thing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The Bee posted:

Honestly, KoL never quite feels like an MMO to me. Also, how can it even truly be neglected? Has there even really been any substantial new content added since NS13? The Sea, maybe? I thought Mr. Store items and challenge paths were basically the way forward.

There have been intermittent events since then, but yes, the major content vectors these days are Mr. Store and the challenge paths. The major complaints of neglect come out when the Item of the Month is late and/or some part of it isn't implemented quickly, which does happen occasionally. (A chunk of the February 2018 IotM was never implemented, and the devs have indicated they're not coming back to it, and hoo boy are people angry about that.) Also, of course, every Crimbo is the worst Crimbo ever.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Anyone watch those old Sci Fi network shows like Lexx, Farscape and Sliders? I never did but they seem like good candidates.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Anyone watch those old Sci Fi network shows like Lexx, Farscape and Sliders? I never did but they seem like good candidates.

I want to say they all had fandoms at some point? I used to know a guy who was active in Farscape fandom, although I don't remember any details there.

My sophomore year in college, my roommate was really into Lexx, and she decided to teach herself video editing so she could create a fan music video (are these still a thing?) of Lexx set to Sting's "Desert Rose." I never saw the final product, unfortunately, and am not sure if it was even finished by the end of the semester, but whenever someone mentions Lexx I always think of that weird period of my life.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

http://www.warpstock.eu/
http://os2news.warpstock.org/

I loved OS/2 back in the day during Microsoft's peak shittiness around the Win95 era, but dudes, let it die. There's no reason to keep trying to get it "modern" when Linux exists, especially since IBM won't open-source it.

You can throw the AmigaOS fans in this same category, and they probably outnumber the OS/2 hangers-on.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Way back in the day, I remember fans of the Descent series being absolutely convinced that the future of first person shooters - which they dismissed/insulted by calling them groundpounders - was in games like Descent: full degrees of motion, joysticks as the main form of control, etc.

Naturally, I recall a sense of dying when... well, Descent had a gimmick but games like Quake et al had audiences. I just checked an old forum I used to visit (descentbb), and while it's not offline, the amount of users is paltry.

The original Descent team from Volition "got the band back together" a couple years back and did a successful kickstarter for a new game (Overload) and successfully released it to good reviews last year, but sales were "disappointing" and the devs have mostly moved onto other stuff.

The Descent IP itself got licensed to some people off the Star Citizen forums who did a halfassed job of making a MP focused game (Descent: Underground) and appear to have shut down development since their website is gone, the publisher isn't saying anything and there have been some "had a great time working at this place but they stopped paying me so I quit" style posts on Glassdoor.

6DOF shooters are just kinda niche in general, back in the day they had a "wow" component to them in that they were also tech demos to show off how powerful new video cards were, and it's not exactly enough to entirely carry a game these days. Maybe once VR gets more market penetration they'll see a resurgence but that's just speculation on my part.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Antivehicular posted:

I want to say they all had fandoms at some point? I used to know a guy who was active in Farscape fandom, although I don't remember any details there.

My sophomore year in college, my roommate was really into Lexx, and she decided to teach herself video editing so she could create a fan music video (are these still a thing?) of Lexx set to Sting's "Desert Rose." I never saw the final product, unfortunately, and am not sure if it was even finished by the end of the semester, but whenever someone mentions Lexx I always think of that weird period of my life.

Yeah, I was a Farscape fan back in the day. It was really good, and just cheesy enough to have charm. The movie they made to do the condensed wrap-up after it was canceled felt rushed but paid off the narrative. Ben Browder and Claudia Black on SG-1 a few years later was pretty nostalgic, and a few of the cast still do occasional SF cons.

Does Half-Life count at this point? It's been 15 years since 2, and Valve's been pretty clear that HL3 will never get made because they're no longer really a developer of anything but the Steam platform.

Liquid Communism has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Jun 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Half Life fandom still exists but its withering. That fangame about hunting Freeman got an official release somehow a while back and garnered a lot of interest. If Valve announced HL3 tomorrow it'd be huge news, whereas a lot of these other properties would essentially have to build interest the same way a new IP would.