Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Comic flicks were synonymous with superhero stuff. I mean, poo poo, they made Tank Girl.

I guess, like everything stupid, this is an Anglophone thing :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jerry Cotton posted:

I guess, like everything stupid, this is an Anglophone thing :shrug:
More of an American thing, because Marvel and DC made sure they were pretty much the only real game in town when it came to comic books in the States for decades.

The Comics Code of the 50's (Which was pushed by DC to kill off their major competitor, EC) pretty much crippled comic books as a medium in the US.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Jul 7, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Marvel and Dc somehow managed to get a "Joint Trademark" on the term superhero, and how the gently caress is a joint trademark a thing

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Speaking of dead fandoms, anyone here remember Redwall? If you don't, imagine an old man listing off food served in a standard but massive British restaurant one plate at a time in impeccable detail. There's actually pretty good young-adult level adventuring and swordfighting, but that food. Goddamn that food.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Accordion Man posted:

More of an American thing, because Marvel and DC made sure they were pretty much the only real game in town when it came to comic books in the States for decades.

The Comics Code of the 50's (Which was pushed by DC to kill off their major competitor, EC) pretty much crippled comic books as a medium in the US.

just to shed a little more background on this: while i don't doubt dc benefited from their competitors ultimately getting gutted, part of the 50s backlash i mentioned earlier was aimed squarely at comic books with several of dc's characters, for e.g., getting singled out for public blame for things like the rise in homosexuality among youths (batman and robin accused of promoting queer lifestyle for gays, wonderwoman of empowering women enough to embrace lesbianism) on grounds that were both extremely shaky at the time and on grounds that would age like dairy in the amazon

there were other accusations of how these stories were corrupting the young and ultimately it was enough to generate a solid, all round moral panic over them (like public book burnings level panic)... everything from romance comics marketed for girls to lurid true crime comics to cape comics for kids were attacked; some cities had already banned comic books by law entirely and others were in the process effecting it through legislature - the industry was boxed into accepting third party content control or facing more consequences

instead of coming in the form of a content rating system like modern movies have that can restrict sales of some movies but not others with an R-rating for e.g., the older hays production code was used as a basis by the newly empowered Comics Code Authority regulating body and all comics had to adhere to a single set of content guidelines they invented, dc did agree to these terms - even saw opportunity in them - but as a popular publisher often singled out it was also under the heaviest scrutiny

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Plethora posted:

Speaking of dead fandoms, anyone here remember Redwall? If you don't, imagine an old man listing off food served in a standard but massive British restaurant one plate at a time in impeccable detail. There's actually pretty good young-adult level adventuring and swordfighting, but that food. Goddamn that food.
The whole thing of how rats and weasels are just naturally evil and can never be trusted have aged really poorly though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Accordion Man posted:

The whole thing of how rats and weasels are just naturally evil and can never be trusted have aged really poorly though.

Especially the one book with the Stoat? who was raised in Redwall but can't overcome his natural affinity for evil and ends up suiciding after betraying Redwall from within.

Jacques had some issues.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Zore posted:

Especially the one book with the Stoat? who was raised in Redwall but can't overcome his natural affinity for evil and ends up suiciding after betraying Redwall from within.

Jacques had some issues.

"Evil lives in Veil" yeah that grated even then

Want to say he was a ferret

/e: Veil Sixclaw (Outcast of Redwall), ferret, died by throwing himself in front of a spear thrown by his father aimed at his adoptive mother

stringless has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Jul 7, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FFT posted:

"Evil lives in Veil" yeah that grated even then

Want to say he was a ferret

/e: Veil Sixclaw (Outcast of Redwall), ferret, died by throwing himself in front of a spear thrown by his father aimed at his adoptive mother
His name is an anagram of Evil

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

His name is an anagram of Evil

And "live(s)", yes

Pretty on the nose for a culture that's historically put a lot of stock in anagrams to name the baby ferret "Evil".

The main character from the beginning was an anagram for "I am that is" which at least was somewhat subtle

stringless has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Jul 7, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Plethora posted:

The Brian Jacques books? Those owned.

Edit: except the speciest parts. I gotta refresh poo poo.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Jul 7, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Plethora posted:

IIRC, the lavish food descriptions were because Jacques was writing the Redwall books for kids at a school for the blind, so he wanted to make sure there was a ton of non-visual sensory detail for them. That part's pretty cool; the racism, not so much.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

At least in Redwall it reads more as a predator species vs. prey species relationship rather than an undercurrent of racism.

On the other hand badgers will absolutely feast on mice and they're portrayed as basically demigods of war and benevolence so

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pretty sure the only good guy was actually Asmodeus.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FFT posted:

At least in Redwall it reads more as a predator species vs. prey species relationship rather than an undercurrent of racism.

On the other hand badgers will absolutely feast on mice and they're portrayed as basically demigods of war and benevolence so
I'm not certain Jacques recognized the racial implications of what he was writing but it makes it no less racist, in the same way a lot of fantasy is racist by being based in old racist fantasy tropes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There was a single non-evil ferret but at the end of that book when he saw some other redwall people arriving he ran to the main gate to alert them but also because he'd likely be attacked if the squirrels or whatever weren't there to tell them not to kill this ferret on sight.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not certain Jacques recognized the racial implications of what he was writing but it makes it no less racist, in the same way a lot of fantasy is racist by being based in old racist fantasy tropes.

Yeah I was going to bring in LoTR orcs and dwarves and such but :effort: and derail-y

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I remember Anne Rice was a thing for a bit after Interview With the Vampire came out. Now there's a fandom I haven't heard anything about in a long, long time.

Meaty Ore has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Jul 8, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thanks to this thread I found out Twilight wasn't by Anne Rice.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meaty Ore posted:

I remember Anne Rice was a thing for a bit after Interview With the Vampire came out. Now there's a fandom I haven't heard anything about in a long, long time.

She alienated the hell out of her fan base by 1: going from her moody slow paced interpersonal drama/self loathing psychology character stuff to blending all her properties together for no reason and making the vampires super Saiyans who explode helicopters and 2: got super religious out of nowhere and started writing Jesus fanfic

I think she went back to the vampires again semi recently but I’ve heard absolutely nothing about it

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Anne's a real treat. Her old Sleeping Beauty erotica were a blast because they're trying to be as inclusive to as many obscure fetishes as possible, where it makes physical sense or not - like being able to hold an erection that's holding up "heavy bells" for hours while pulling a cart.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Anyone here from the Age of Sail renaissance launched (heh) by the Hornblower mini series and Horrys sweet :yosbutt:

Hell even my username is relevant to that - poor Archie.

It had tonnes of crossover with the nerdlingers who were into the first two Pirates of the Caribbean films but only into the Royal Navy/East India Co antagonist/or characters.

Which also bled into the fans of Master and Commander/Aubreyard books/film which were a lot of young woman, quite a few from Japan. Traditionally the only people into this series were old was white men.

Notable bleed over from the Sharpe series with Sean Bean.

And yes there was wack fanfic smut for ALL of these salty old boys. :captainpop:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

lt_kennedy posted:

It had tonnes of crossover with the nerdlingers who were into the first two Pirates of the Caribbean films but only into the Royal Navy/East India Co antagonist/or characters.

Was this really a thing? Please tell me more about this deeply stupid-sounding subfandom

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Is the Homestuck fandom dead yet.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
A quick Tumblr and AO3 look up tells me it's nowhere near as active as it's glory days, since most fans have moved onto other things, but still not anywhere close to dead either.

On things with larger fanbases, usually they just slowly get quieter as the years go by, but they may take a long while to *die*

Siselmo has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Jul 8, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kenning posted:

It was legit pretty solid sci-fi, honestly. The "Chronicles" books which took place outside the main storyline were genuinely very good reads as I recall, especially the Hork-Bajir Chronicles.

Yeah, The Ellimist Chronicles is something you'd expect to be a wankfest since it's the 'secret backstory' of the godlike good alien that occasionally pops in to be mysterious and help out in indirect ways, but it's actually really good scifi and for a 'young adult' novel it has some insanely violent scenes.

I unironically recommend it, there's a lot of good stuff in there and since it's a 'prequel' there's not many 'little details' to catch like there would be in the other 'Chronicles' sidebooks.

Untagged spoilers:
There's a large section where the main character has his whole colony-ship mistakenly crashed into a watery moon, and everyone on board is murdered and integrated with a planet-spanning undersea tentacle monster, with him the only one left 'alive' (but still integrated into the hivemind). The monster forces him to converse and play games with him; if he refuses then he gets put in 'time out' and see his world as it really is, an underwater grave surrounded by the corpses of everyone he knows.

Also just a cool bit where after being halfway through his apotheosis he sticks a piece of his mind into a barely-sentient alien to see himself from an outside perspective, and realises that his own narration is basically self-delusion in terms of "I'm just an unlucky guy who made it out" because from the outside he's a supercyborg agglomeration of ship parts and nothing about him looks even close to a relatable living being.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Starship Troopers fandom. That single :mediocre: film somehow inspired a full 4 garbage-tier sequels, an anime, multiple games (including a tabletop RPG), and a lovely TV show. There was even a fan campaign to revive the lovely show after it died an ignoble death.

Because apparently there was a cult of people in the world that just couldn't get enough of these sick PS2 cutscene grade graphics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eAafpheKU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Starship Troopers owns, pal.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Antivehicular posted:

Was this really a thing? Please tell me more about this deeply stupid-sounding subfandom

For one I blame Jack Davenport for being dreamy even before his character was downgraded to bitter hobo... though mostly people got super into Bitter Hobo Norrington who lost his commission and got his drink on.

Who then went back to being a stooge for the East India Co. This is all probably now on a few long dead LiveJournal communities before the exodus to Tumblr or more likely now dead and gone.

Eh if nothing else I know way too much now about REAL Napoleonic war era age of Sail history than anyone who isn't 80 should. And the Aubreyard books are dope reads because Dr. Maturin is :krad:

lt_kennedy has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Jul 8, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In regards to the above I know a fair few people who are weirdly into the "Terror" fanfic genre. Like the tv series about folks eating each other in the arctic? About 3 people I know in real life have written fan fiction for it and it still seems pretty wild to me.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Starship Troopers fandom. That single :mediocre: film somehow inspired a full 4 garbage-tier sequels, an anime, multiple games (including a tabletop RPG), and a lovely TV show. There was even a fan campaign to revive the lovely show after it died an ignoble death.

Because apparently there was a cult of people in the world that just couldn't get enough of these sick PS2 cutscene grade graphics:

I recall seeing a Starship Troopers fan wiki once where they went to great lengths to rationalize all the differences between the book, the movies, the TV show, and the tabletop games.

Though the OVA predated the movie by a decade (1988) and was a more straight faced adaption of the book. I vaguely recall that fansubs didn't show up until like 2008 because it was only ever released on Laserdisc and was a niche title even in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYyVZ2qvzk

The armor also appeared earlier in the DAICON III fan animation, which is basically everything Japanese nerds thought was cool in 1981, because the design had already been used on the cover for a Japanese edition of the book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQjruwkyOaU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

In regards to the above I know a fair few people who are weirdly into the "Terror" fanfic genre. Like the tv series about folks eating each other in the arctic? About 3 people I know in real life have written fan fiction for it and it still seems pretty wild to me.

Does it involve highly emotionally-charged over-the-top tragedy and sad pretty white men? Because I think anything that meets those two criteria will get a pop-up slash fandom for at least a couple months. There's a certain type of fanfic person who will show up to anything even slightly topical, write extremely generic fanfic about sad pretty white men having sex for as long as it sustains attention, and then move onto whatever's trendy next.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plethora posted:

Anne's a real treat. Her old Sleeping Beauty erotica were a blast because they're trying to be as inclusive to as many obscure fetishes as possible, where it makes physical sense or not - like being able to hold an erection that's holding up "heavy bells" for hours while pulling a cart.
The Sleeping Beauty series appears to have written by someone who has not only never had sex, but never even heard it described to them. Ann Rice saw pictures of naked people in a science book in and just tried to work it all out in her head from there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lt_kennedy posted:

Hornblower mini series

Is he portrayed as a piece-of-poo poo sociopath as in the books? (I know the author didn't intend to portray him as one but he's dead anyway.)

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is he portrayed as a piece-of-poo poo sociopath as in the books? (I know the author didn't intend to portray him as one but he's dead anyway.)

Eh, Horatio was always kinda a stunted dork - Married Mariah even though he couldn't stand her and regretted it instantly in both books and the series.

I got as far as when he was made captain in the books and found them not as fun and also harder to find than the O'Brian books. The mini series is pretty good though the effects suck.

Gruffard who played him has recently been in the town I live in Queensland Australia filming a series with SBS I think? Not lost on me was that his character lives on a house boat :rolleyes:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Sleeping Beauty series appears to have written by someone who has not only never had sex, but never even heard it described to them. Ann Rice saw pictures of naked people in a science book in and just tried to work it all out in her head from there.

Just like Morrissey then?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're interrogating the text from the wrong perspective.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

It's where the Hannibal fandom went

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

xcheopis posted:

You're interrogating the text from the wrong perspective.

Fandom_wank was so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Pick posted:

It's where the Hannibal fandom went

And like the great wildebeest treks of the Serengeti, the Migratory Slash Fandom moved on to Good Omens, devouring everything in their path /Attenborough