Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
UPDATE: Ongoing draft results, here:
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=tzgiq2l4jxs9940y
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=p4jopdd9jxs9u9sx
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=cv3ln8r3jxs9i2y9
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=b33lbswajxs8lk1h
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=m3iaigv5jxs8z52k

Time for Football Absurdity's annual Scott Fish Bowl Clone. It's free, join, here:

https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/joinLeague.go?leagueId=1r00fplwjx2az8nt&isSubmit=y

A fantasy writer named Scott Fish has been running a league for several years that has garnered the attention of experts and fans alike. This is because the Scott Fish Bowl league has shown that it's quite possible to eliminate a lot of the random screw-jobs that plague FF, while still maintaining all of the fun. Screw jobs like missing the playoffs because your rival got late-season matchups against people who didn't start their teams, seeing your opponent score massive ppr points from a QB who keeps dumping it off to his RB for 0 yards, a team getting ridiculous trades through nonstop spamming, and kickers (everything about kickers).

All it takes is a RIDICULOUS number of teams in the league.

Here's how it works (almost every setting mirrors the Scott Fish Bowl):
- The league will have a LOT of teams, average has been 48 teams

- Each team's regular season experience will be almost identical to a normal 12 team league. We parcel the teams into groups of 12 for the draft & regular season head-to-head matches. So if you've been in a fantasy football league before, ever, it will be almost exactly like that

- The only primary differences come in playoff selection: Head-to-Head record only matters in determining the top seed. Everything else is done by points scored in relation to the entire league. That's right, all the randomness of bad matchups, teams quitting, and other small sample size nonsense is eliminated. NOTE: New rule to parallel a new rule in SFB: If you win 9 games, you will be added to the playoffs if you don't qualify

- Scoring settings reflect the most cutting edge schools of thought. You don't like PPR because a player can get a bonus point for catching a pass at the line of scrimmage and getting instantly tackled? That's gone. Instead, we use the much more representative metric of, "half a point per reception, half a point for a first down" Again, these scoring settings mirror the Scott Fish bowl. Also of note: TE's get double the PPR and First down bonuses.

Start Date: July 9th at 11 EST, provded we get enough teams by then. This is a SLOW DRAFT. Each player will have 8 hours clock time to make each pick. Draft timer will be paused between 2AM-8AM EST every day. There's no way to coordinate a time when everyone can do a fast draft, and this also helps kill the time during the NFL's "dark period." If you time out twice, your team will go on auto-draft until you directly contact me.

Position Settings: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex (can flex 1 QB), 11 bench. NOTE there are no Kickers, Defenses, or Trades. You are all busy people, and deserve better than to have to spend your time reviewing potentially-BS trades, and working the waiver wires for kickers and defenses.

All of the scoring, settings, and rules can be found here!
https://wp.me/p918ok-2QC

NOTE that the site we're using, Fantrax, doesn't accurately support the weird playoff requirements, so I'll keep a weekly list of who's in here:
https://wp.me/p918ok-2QD

EDIT: Just realized I can see the email you use to sign up, so I want to add that I won't do ANYTHING with that email, in case that was a concern.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
PRIZES!

The top 5 scorers in the finals (week 16) get prizes!

First Place: You will get to choose between several glitzy championship rings. Who has one thumb and is proudly displaying his 2018 Fish Bowl Championship ring?

This guy

Second Place: Pizza Party! We'll order two pizzas for you to pick up at a place near you, with whatever toppings you want. We get to choose the place based on whatever coupons we can find, but it won't be a pizza place named after a roman emperor

Third Place: We'll send you an autographed copy of my nationally-published book, Teaching with Comedy. It's a funny workbook that teaches you how to use basic Hollywood jokewriting formulae to get even funnier. Plus, we'll throw in this copy of "Fantasy Football for Smart People" we have kicking around, so this prize is on-theme.

Fourth Place: Fantasy Football T-shirt. Not sure if it'll be a Football Absurdity shirt or just a cool FF shirt from Amazon, but we'll give you some options to choose from

Fifth Place: Fantasy Football Coffee Mug. Same as with fourth place: We'll give you some choices.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 21, 2019

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

In

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m in!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'm in. Also sent the join link to 2 of my buddies who have played the last 2 years.

Incidentally, I forgot who my nemesis was here. If it was you, or you remember me posting anything about "cursing your name" or whatever, please let me know.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
In

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Does Fantrax have an app?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

Does Fantrax have an app?

Yes, but I hear its garbage and people prefer just using the website on their phone

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I was in 2 years ago but missed last year due to a logistics thing. I would be interested in joining again if there is space.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

I was in 2 years ago but missed last year due to a logistics thing. I would be interested in joining again if there is space.

The site maxes out at 192 teams
:getin:

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Back for more

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, who do we want to share this league with? I'm thinking there isn't 192 goons who are in on it....but man let's fill this poo poo outtttttt

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Definitely back in.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

So, who do we want to share this league with? I'm thinking there isn't 192 goons who are in on it....but man let's fill this poo poo outtttttt

This is just PHASE 1 of my recruiting process. I've been super sick and taking care of sick kids late at night, so I can only spam out the league to so many places before my eyes make words start spinning.

Feel free to invite all your friends!

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I join

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Fantrax, that's a FF site? Is that where the league is hosted, or...?

Why not just have all the goons plan in scott fish bowl and give out prizes for top goons there? Are many people playing in both?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Fantrax, that's a FF site? Is that where the league is hosted, or...?

Why not just have all the goons plan in scott fish bowl and give out prizes for top goons there? Are many people playing in both?

Good questions. fantrax is the site for the league. The only sites with the capabilities to run this league are Fantrax and MFL, and I just can't do MFL again.

I would love to just have everyone join the Scott Fish Bowl, as it would cut dozens of hours off my workload for this league. However, Scott Fish Bowl is invite only. I think there are only about 3-5 goons in it. I'm not even in it. That's why I made this league 2 years ago: A lot of us are fans of that format, but can't get in to the official league.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Oh, I didn't realize it was invite only. I just briefly went to its website and it has a signup spot saying there's like 12,000 people signed up.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Oh, I didn't realize it was invite only. I just briefly went to its website and it has a signup spot saying there's like 12,000 people signed up.

Oh, yeah I believe that's for the invite lottery for just a few public spots. Correct me if I'm wrong goons.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I'm in.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
In as (Miles) Sanders 2020. Excited to flame out in the playoffs like I do in every other league I play in :c00l:

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Are the divisions going to shuffle after everyone has joined? I can't really tell if it's just going in order or not

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Are the divisions going to shuffle after everyone has joined? I can't really tell if it's just going in order or not

Yeah, I'll randomize everything right before the draft. It just made me put in two divisions to move on to the rest of the settings.

:siren:CHECK OUT THIS RULE CHANGE:siren:

The 2019 Scott Fish Bowl rules just came out, so I changed the scoring to reflect new stuff. Almost everything is the same EXCEPT there are huge bonuses. There is a 5 point bonus for each 300 passing yards, 50 rushing yards, and 50 receiving yards. This should make RB/WR/TE much more valuable than QB, correct me if I'm wrong

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Trying to make custom rankings for this and 4for4 sucks. Theres no positional specific PPR or PPFD at all.

Is there a better site for making customer rankings/draftsheets?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dkj posted:

Trying to make custom rankings for this and 4for4 sucks. Theres no positional specific PPR or PPFD at all.

Is there a better site for making customer rankings/draftsheets?

No idea, this is my only non-auction league so I just wing it. Worked out last year :smug:

I bet Spoaenk knows something, he's always messing with projections sheets for research for our Player Profiles

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 23, 2019

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Drunk Nerds posted:

No idea, this is my only non-auction league so I just wing it. Worked out last year :smug:

I bet Spoaenk knows something, he's always messing with projections sheets for research for our Player Profiles

The PPFD and these achievements settings are exhausting and I honestly don't have the time to do it. I left it to someone actually getting paid to deal with this and I found that the FFStatistics team is doing a $1 database with past finishes with SFB9 settings.

That being said, the best I could figure with the first down stuff is to figure out which stat correlates best with first downs to manually add them in.

Unsurprisingly, for everyone, it's total yards:
For RBs, it's a first down every 21.3 yards
For WRs, it's a first down every 21.6 yards
For TEs, it's a first down every 20.3 yards

There's no rhyme or reason to player type and first down usage. For WRs, the guys with the lowest yards to first down are as varied as Tajae Sharpe, Torrey Smith, Michael Crabtree, Devin Funchess, and Brandon LaFell last year. Guys with the most yards to first down include Golden Tate, Christian Kirk, Amari Cooper, EQSB, and Josh Gordon. It's probably best to just go with the projecting the 1D a guy should get based on total yardage projections and letting the fates decide.

I haven't figured out the points for every 50 yards except maybe just doing the same thing and going from there. I would have to imagine that would bone guys like Tarik Cohen who gets a marginal amount of touches and splits them between targets and carries.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 23, 2019

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I dug a bit further and just based on my projections for 2019, the average player's scores are going up 25.5%. However, the average QB sees a score increase of somewhere between 5% and 16%. So the gut reaction that this greatly increases the value of non-QBs relative to QBs is correct. Rushing QBs get the biggest increase because of their projected ability to get a bonus in two different categories.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm a big fan of Fish Bowl scoring system. But this seems like a needless change to me. Maybe I'm not understanding it right.

Maybe just remove QB and do only RB/WR/TE? Seems like what they are doing.

EDIT: I guess the idea is to make all positions equal each other in value?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

I'm a big fan of Fish Bowl scoring system. But this seems like a needless change to me. Maybe I'm not understanding it right.

Maybe just remove QB and do only RB/WR/TE? Seems like what they are doing.

EDIT: I guess the idea is to make all positions equal each other in value?

I think that's it, plus make a system that's kind of alien so people have to sleuth out their own strategies

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
JUST when I had Fish Bowl figured out 🙄

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Its better than how my home league rejiggered things. 1.5 ppr. Rushing yards worth 2x receiving yards. 10 points per td. It's a nightmare. The baseline "good" game is like 20 points.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I’m back in since we are not using MFL any more. Jeez that was bad. Thanks Drunk Nerds for setting it up.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, I'll randomize everything right before the draft. It just made me put in two divisions to move on to the rest of the settings.

:siren:CHECK OUT THIS RULE CHANGE:siren:

The 2019 Scott Fish Bowl rules just came out, so I changed the scoring to reflect new stuff. Almost everything is the same EXCEPT there are huge bonuses. There is a 5 point bonus for each 300 passing yards, 50 rushing yards, and 50 receiving yards. This should make RB/WR/TE much more valuable than QB, correct me if I'm wrong

Just looking at the settings it says this:

Offense
Passing Yards (Yds)
Calculate Per Scoring Period, Cumulative:
From 300 to 300, award 5point(s)

So you only get points if you go over 300? The Calculate per scoring period/Cumulative may be throwing me off but it doesn’t actually say how many passing yards equal a point.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

In this league since the actual Fish Bowl is too shortsighted to see my greatness in fake football.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Just looking at the settings it says this:

Offense
Passing Yards (Yds)
Calculate Per Scoring Period, Cumulative:
From 300 to 300, award 5point(s)

So you only get points if you go over 300? The Calculate per scoring period/Cumulative may be throwing me off but it doesn’t actually say how many passing yards equal a point.

Good catch, when I entered the 5 point bonuses, I must have removed the per yard scoring. Looks like I did it for WR and Rb too. I will fix it.

The league has a useful tool where I can enter fake statlines and see what it outputs, so I'll double check all this before the draft.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

jabro posted:

In this league since the actual Fish Bowl is too shortsighted to see my greatness in fake football.

Glad you're in. I really tried to find something besides Fantrax based on your advice. I read customer reviews for an hour before I felt safe enough that there was no irreversible game-breaking bug in recent years.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Drunk Nerds posted:

Glad you're in. I really tried to find something besides Fantrax based on your advice. I read customer reviews for an hour before I felt safe enough that there was no irreversible game-breaking bug in recent years.

I would never let a site stop me from dominating having fun with goons. It is what it is with fantasy football and trying to find a site that allows what you need and not be a dumpster fire. You take what is hopefully the lesser of the two evils and start drinking more if not.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One more team and we'll hit last year's mark (36) with almost two weeks left. I wonder if we can beat the year one total of 60 teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I joined.