Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
UPDATE: Ongoing draft results, here:
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=tzgiq2l4jxs9940y
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=p4jopdd9jxs9u9sx
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=cv3ln8r3jxs9i2y9
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=b33lbswajxs8lk1h
https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/draftResults.go?leagueId=m3iaigv5jxs8z52k

Time for Football Absurdity's annual Scott Fish Bowl Clone. It's free, join, here:

https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantasy/joinLeague.go?leagueId=1r00fplwjx2az8nt&isSubmit=y

A fantasy writer named Scott Fish has been running a league for several years that has garnered the attention of experts and fans alike. This is because the Scott Fish Bowl league has shown that it's quite possible to eliminate a lot of the random screw-jobs that plague FF, while still maintaining all of the fun. Screw jobs like missing the playoffs because your rival got late-season matchups against people who didn't start their teams, seeing your opponent score massive ppr points from a QB who keeps dumping it off to his RB for 0 yards, a team getting ridiculous trades through nonstop spamming, and kickers (everything about kickers).

All it takes is a RIDICULOUS number of teams in the league.

Here's how it works (almost every setting mirrors the Scott Fish Bowl):
- The league will have a LOT of teams, average has been 48 teams

- Each team's regular season experience will be almost identical to a normal 12 team league. We parcel the teams into groups of 12 for the draft & regular season head-to-head matches. So if you've been in a fantasy football league before, ever, it will be almost exactly like that

- The only primary differences come in playoff selection: Head-to-Head record only matters in determining the top seed. Everything else is done by points scored in relation to the entire league. That's right, all the randomness of bad matchups, teams quitting, and other small sample size nonsense is eliminated. NOTE: New rule to parallel a new rule in SFB: If you win 9 games, you will be added to the playoffs if you don't qualify

- Scoring settings reflect the most cutting edge schools of thought. You don't like PPR because a player can get a bonus point for catching a pass at the line of scrimmage and getting instantly tackled? That's gone. Instead, we use the much more representative metric of, "half a point per reception, half a point for a first down" Again, these scoring settings mirror the Scott Fish bowl. Also of note: TE's get double the PPR and First down bonuses.

Start Date: July 9th at 11 EST, provded we get enough teams by then. This is a SLOW DRAFT. Each player will have 8 hours clock time to make each pick. Draft timer will be paused between 2AM-8AM EST every day. There's no way to coordinate a time when everyone can do a fast draft, and this also helps kill the time during the NFL's "dark period." If you time out twice, your team will go on auto-draft until you directly contact me.

Position Settings: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex (can flex 1 QB), 11 bench. NOTE there are no Kickers, Defenses, or Trades. You are all busy people, and deserve better than to have to spend your time reviewing potentially-BS trades, and working the waiver wires for kickers and defenses.

All of the scoring, settings, and rules can be found here!
https://wp.me/p918ok-2QC

NOTE that the site we're using, Fantrax, doesn't accurately support the weird playoff requirements, so I'll keep a weekly list of who's in here:
https://wp.me/p918ok-2QD

EDIT: Just realized I can see the email you use to sign up, so I want to add that I won't do ANYTHING with that email, in case that was a concern.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
PRIZES!

The top 5 scorers in the finals (week 16) get prizes!

First Place: You will get to choose between several glitzy championship rings. Who has one thumb and is proudly displaying his 2018 Fish Bowl Championship ring?

This guy

Second Place: Pizza Party! We'll order two pizzas for you to pick up at a place near you, with whatever toppings you want. We get to choose the place based on whatever coupons we can find, but it won't be a pizza place named after a roman emperor

Third Place: We'll send you an autographed copy of my nationally-published book, Teaching with Comedy. It's a funny workbook that teaches you how to use basic Hollywood jokewriting formulae to get even funnier. Plus, we'll throw in this copy of "Fantasy Football for Smart People" we have kicking around, so this prize is on-theme.

Fourth Place: Fantasy Football T-shirt. Not sure if it'll be a Football Absurdity shirt or just a cool FF shirt from Amazon, but we'll give you some options to choose from

Fifth Place: Fantasy Football Coffee Mug. Same as with fourth place: We'll give you some choices.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 21, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

Does Fantrax have an app?

Yes, but I hear its garbage and people prefer just using the website on their phone

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pain of Mind posted:

I was in 2 years ago but missed last year due to a logistics thing. I would be interested in joining again if there is space.

The site maxes out at 192 teams
:getin:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

So, who do we want to share this league with? I'm thinking there isn't 192 goons who are in on it....but man let's fill this poo poo outtttttt

This is just PHASE 1 of my recruiting process. I've been super sick and taking care of sick kids late at night, so I can only spam out the league to so many places before my eyes make words start spinning.

Feel free to invite all your friends!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Fantrax, that's a FF site? Is that where the league is hosted, or...?

Why not just have all the goons plan in scott fish bowl and give out prizes for top goons there? Are many people playing in both?

Good questions. fantrax is the site for the league. The only sites with the capabilities to run this league are Fantrax and MFL, and I just can't do MFL again.

I would love to just have everyone join the Scott Fish Bowl, as it would cut dozens of hours off my workload for this league. However, Scott Fish Bowl is invite only. I think there are only about 3-5 goons in it. I'm not even in it. That's why I made this league 2 years ago: A lot of us are fans of that format, but can't get in to the official league.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Oh, I didn't realize it was invite only. I just briefly went to its website and it has a signup spot saying there's like 12,000 people signed up.

Oh, yeah I believe that's for the invite lottery for just a few public spots. Correct me if I'm wrong goons.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Are the divisions going to shuffle after everyone has joined? I can't really tell if it's just going in order or not

Yeah, I'll randomize everything right before the draft. It just made me put in two divisions to move on to the rest of the settings.

:siren:CHECK OUT THIS RULE CHANGE:siren:

The 2019 Scott Fish Bowl rules just came out, so I changed the scoring to reflect new stuff. Almost everything is the same EXCEPT there are huge bonuses. There is a 5 point bonus for each 300 passing yards, 50 rushing yards, and 50 receiving yards. This should make RB/WR/TE much more valuable than QB, correct me if I'm wrong

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dkj posted:

Trying to make custom rankings for this and 4for4 sucks. Theres no positional specific PPR or PPFD at all.

Is there a better site for making customer rankings/draftsheets?

No idea, this is my only non-auction league so I just wing it. Worked out last year :smug:

I bet Spoaenk knows something, he's always messing with projections sheets for research for our Player Profiles

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 23, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

I'm a big fan of Fish Bowl scoring system. But this seems like a needless change to me. Maybe I'm not understanding it right.

Maybe just remove QB and do only RB/WR/TE? Seems like what they are doing.

EDIT: I guess the idea is to make all positions equal each other in value?

I think that's it, plus make a system that's kind of alien so people have to sleuth out their own strategies

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Just looking at the settings it says this:

Offense
Passing Yards (Yds)
Calculate Per Scoring Period, Cumulative:
From 300 to 300, award 5point(s)

So you only get points if you go over 300? The Calculate per scoring period/Cumulative may be throwing me off but it doesn’t actually say how many passing yards equal a point.

Good catch, when I entered the 5 point bonuses, I must have removed the per yard scoring. Looks like I did it for WR and Rb too. I will fix it.

The league has a useful tool where I can enter fake statlines and see what it outputs, so I'll double check all this before the draft.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

jabro posted:

In this league since the actual Fish Bowl is too shortsighted to see my greatness in fake football.

Glad you're in. I really tried to find something besides Fantrax based on your advice. I read customer reviews for an hour before I felt safe enough that there was no irreversible game-breaking bug in recent years.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One more team and we'll hit last year's mark (36) with almost two weeks left. I wonder if we can beat the year one total of 60 teams

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah that's kind of the point, to get us through the July dead zone with some excitement. I'm starting it at the exact same time as the real SFB

Also slow drafts are tough in August because things change during preseason games if you're on the clock. I was on the clock when AP signed with Washington after the Guice injury so I got a steal there just due to randomness and not skill

Also, hey, invite your friends if they're fantasy nuts, it's fun to chat about. I'm sure I can get it up to ay least 60 because I'm really good at promotion, but I'd love to see how high this can get.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

Time to make a /fantasyfootball post?

Don't get me started on Reddit. I went to /r/fantasyfootball, which is actually a pretty fun place. After reading all the rules, I realized I needed to post in /r/findaleague. So I went to that sub, read all their rules, and carefully crafted a giant post that really promoted this league and followed all the rules. I posted it... and it was immediately reported and taken down for violating the rules.

I sent the mods a nice email asking what rule I had broken. A day later they got back to me saying that I hadn't broken any rules, but posts get automatically removed if anyone reports them. They re-activated my post, but by then it had fallen off of the front page.

I'm not worried, I always get enough teams. I have another blast planned for monday. Heck, I haven't even invited my friends, yet.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 26, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

If you write up something detailed I can just copy and paste to another internet message board, I have some places I can blast it

other people here probably do too

Hey, thanks, here is a detailed write up
https://footballabsurdity.com/2019/06/25/join-our-free-fish-bowl-league-win-prizes/

I made the links both embedded and bb coded so they should work no matter what

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Back in for Year 3. Thanks for organizing Drunk Nerds!

Cervixalot, by the way, beat out 59 other teams to win the ring in the GFB 1

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

Looks like we up to 60 teams, ya boyee

I see 39, but I'd love to be wrong

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Just posted about this league in a couple places using your link https://footballabsurdity.com/2019/06/25/join-our-free-fish-bowl-league-win-prizes/

Hopefully you get a few more entries this weekend.

Thanks a bunch!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Who else is advertising this? Has it had a banner ad or multiposts in the regular FF thread?

Yeah it's been spammed in the reg FF thread. I'm not going to buy a banner ad because I'd rather spend that money on prizes and 43 is a decent number this far from the actual draft date. Plus I worry that people will show up and then drop out because they're not hardcore FF heads- Like who is down for a slow draft in July that doesn't already check TAQ?

I'm going to do another blast monday, and open it up to my irl friends. After that, I don't like to advertise it because I need it to end on a number divisible by 12... if friday comes and we're at like 4 remainder I blast it, if we're at like 10 remainder I just quietly get a couple more friends in.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

How hard was it to set up the Fish Bowl league? I help run a bar and have been thinking about doing a Best Ball Fish Bowl league with no trades for the customers of the bar. Trying to keep it low maintenance on my end since I'm already running an employee one, too.

Pretty hard. MFL and Fantrax don't really do that playoff system where best record gets a bye and everyone else goes by total points. MFL says it does, but didn't for me. So I have to manually calculate and type up the standings every week. If you got rid of the best record bye and just did everything by total points it would make things a lot easier on you.

The settings are hard too, but you could probably just copy (or maybe even clone) the goon fish bowl.

Plus you get a lot of correspondence, about 4x as much as a normal league.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

Just invite them to this one?

That's a pretty good idea. If you had an even dozen and nobody objects I'd be willing to put them in their own division

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I guess you don't even need an even dozen for me to stick them all in the same division.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm most likely locking this at 60, and we've been getting a steady trickle of members from Beersheets, so if you were thinking of :getin: do so sooner than later. I'd hate for goons to miss out

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

I've never used fantrax before. How do we see our 12-team divisions and draft order? Anything else we should know about the site? I don't see a native mobile app for it.

I'll randomize and build the divisions on Sunday or Monday. When I do that I'll set the random draft order.

From what I hear the app is legendarily bad. We've been doing a best ball draft on Fanttax, and I've just had the site open on my phone's web browser. It's intuitive if you've ever drafted on any other site, I'm actually impressed so far.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Are these draft settings from the league site correct? I thought it started Monday and was a slow draft, not live draft. Also 22 rounds?

Yeah, that's weird... I'll check that and fix it, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
We're starting Tuesday, but it is a slow draft and it should be 22 rounds.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Great catches, pmchem, I'll get that all sorted out today.

There are only 2 slots left, HOWEVER, if you try to join and it's full pm me your email. If I get 12 interested people who didn't make it in, I'll open up another division.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Ok, great.

Some other Fantrax GoonFB (GFB) differences I noted compared to Scott Fish Bowl settings:

SFB locks players at kickoff, but GFB locks at 5 minutes before kickoff.

SFB Blind Bidding Ties Are Broken By: Earliest Submitted Bid Wins
GFB Bid tie-breaker: Lowest ranked team in the standings wins the bid

I'm not entirely clear on how fantrax free agent handling works after a player is dropped, but it looks like there may be some other differences there too.

GFB has "Maximum Reserve Players: 8" but there is no equivalent setting on SFB. I have no idea what the Fantrax reserve player setting does, but it seems different from injured reserve, and maybe we should not have it?

GFB has this setting: "Score Flex positions by the players' actual positions: No". Does that mean that a TE in a flex slot will not get the TE bonus scoring? What does it mean, I guess?

Alright got all these fixed, thanks again. Maximum Reserve Players is just Fantrax funny way of saying "how big is your bench" so I changed it to 11 to mirror SFB.

Let me know if you spot anything else, looks like some of my settings, like the draft time, got reset. But that is likly human error.

One guaranteed spot left. Again, if you try to get in and the league is full, pm me an email. If I get 12 I'll open up a new division.

Edit: Divisions set. Queen Medusa only has 11 teams, I'll add the last team when they sign up. After all 60 teams have joined I'll randomize and finalize the draft order.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 5, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dkj posted:

They're going to be randomized after the last team is in so you may not be in his division.

That's the draft order. I'll keep the divisions like they are now. I didn't say that case clearly as I could

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Draft order set. Locking lowed

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Good, I needed a puzzle to get me through the weekend.

SillyBurrito. Didn't the best ball draft return a similarly hosed up display before the draft launched completely normally? I kinda remember that

I can test by running a draft on one division this weekend to see if it goes normal, then revert it

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 6, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

At the league home page, the very top-right pop-up menu (three horiz lines) has a support/feedback option that includes toll free phone numbers for support. Maybe they can help fix the draft? I know that ESPN's support is usually pretty quick on responses during draft season.

My main concern here, aside from actually having picks :stonk: is that on Tues-Fri this week during eastern timezone work hours, I'll be entirely unable to draft and generally without internet. I don't want to time out, of course, so if the draft was all set up, I could see my slot, etc., then I was going to edit my early round draft order and maybe set some predraft picks (if that's even possible on fantrax?). Never used fantrax before so I'll just jump on my picks as soon as I actually can each day.

edit: p.s. draft settings still show as below for me (as per prior rounds/time discussion)

Dang, that's weird I set it to 22 rounds for all 5 divisions
I'll get on it tonight and figure out your draft slot

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
okay, turns out the option to have each division do a separate draft doesn't actually work. that's why everything looks screwy. Luckily there's a workaround: I create 5 separate leagues, one for each division, then after the draft I import the players from each of those leagues into the main league. I'll get on this tomorrow, and then will have everyone's draft slot #

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What's the difference between a pregnant woman and the 2019 Goon Fish Bowl?

Answer: I can UnFUCK the 2019 goon fish bowl.

I think everything is in order. The issue was Fantrax hasn't complete the "separate divisions draft separately" feature, so everything looked screwy. Luckily their site details a workaround.

I had to clone the league into 5 separate leagues, one for each division. That division is where you'll do the draft. Then I'll import all the teams to the main 2019 goon fish bowl site.

Draft order has been finalized. Please check to see if anything looks fucky. Also let me know if it auto-added you to the new league or if you had to accept an email invite.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Also I'm getting this notification now

E: doesn't look like that attachment worked but it's about paying money for the league.

Ignore it. A. This sub-league draft thing is only for the draft, and will be imported before the actual season starts and charges incur, B. It's a residual effect, since I definitely took out all the features we have to pay for, C. I got the actual 60-team league to get the fees waived

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dkj posted:

Pick 9. Thanks, I hate it.

Oh that's funny. I got pick 9 and I think I couldn't be more satisfied.

Give me my pick of whoever's left of the top 4 wrs or kelce or Gordon/Conner/Johnson, then bounce back to me with Mixon/Chubb/JuSchu/Beckham/Bel

Maybe 10th would be even better, but those are my top slots

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Dracula division is still scheduled for:
Draft Date: Tue Jul 9 2019, 11:00PM EDT

(PM instead of AM)

Also, weird thought: the dracula div homepage says it has 12 of 60 people joined. Will the draft even begin if the league isn't full? On some sites, the league must be full to draft. May want to adjust max players on the draft sites?

It let me finalize the draft order, and doesnt allow the max teams to be reduced. It should be good.

Regarding scoring, Google 2019 fish bowl scoring and itll be explained. I'll make an adjustment to explain it in the OP but right now I'm doing some housework

Will fix draft time later

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m back in since we are not using MFL any more. Jeez that was bad. Thanks Drunk Nerds for setting it up.

Cervixalot posted:

Back in for Year 3. Thanks for organizing Drunk Nerds!

No thanks needed, consider this league my Thank You for tolerating us spamming football absurdity links when we were getting it going in 2017

Oh and I should link the sfb's charity, in case anyone wants to donate. It does good work for kids and I think 100% of the donations go to charities.

http://fantasycares.net/donate.php

One more day! I'm so excited that I peed a little

Also here's the scoring explained in a better way than by checking the fantrax settings:
Normal.0.5 ppr scoring except:
- 6 pts per passing td
- -4 per int
- -2 more if the int is returned for a td
- 0.5 per first down rushing or receiving
- TEs get double first down and PPR bonus so 1 point per first down and 1 ppr
- 5 points bonus for every 300 yards passing, every 50 yards rushing, or every 50 yards receiving WHAAAAAAAAT?! (This is big)

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 8, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Remember that scene from Willy Wonka where Violet swells up and turns into a giant purple sphere?

That's what my balls look like, right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Gobias Ind. posted:

Do you have to declare a player's position when you draft them? It just asked me to confirm CMC's position. I picked RB, but does that mean I couldn't flex him if I wanted to? Not an issue with first rounders, but that would be a problem later.

I bet that just determines how its listed in your draft picks list. Weird, but tou can def flex him later