Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

chitoryu12 posted:

Tomorrow, you all start seeing for yourself just what wild poo poo Edward Cullen was getting up to during Twilight. And you won't believe your eyes.

You are a hero!

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh yeah, remember how a few times I pointed out how Meyer seems to have accidentally wrote Bella/Alice shipping in the previous books?

It happens in Midnight Sun. A lot. A frankly worrying amount.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
So do none of the female hybrids have venom at all? Don't the Twilight vampires use venom in their bodies to basically heal all their permanent injuries and give them the super strength and junk?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh yeah, remember how a few times I pointed out how Meyer seems to have accidentally wrote Bella/Alice shipping in the previous books?

It happens in Midnight Sun. A lot. A frankly worrying amount.

I'm writing it off to my impression that Meyer has no idea how to write emotionally close and intimate relationships that aren't romantic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MorgaineDax posted:

So do none of the female hybrids have venom at all? Don't the Twilight vampires use venom in their bodies to basically heal all their permanent injuries and give them the super strength and junk?

Yes, and I guess Nahuel is the only hybrid in existence who generates venom for....reasons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 1: First Sight

(Here comes the general)
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
(Here comes the general)
THE MOMENT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR
(Here comes the general)
THE PRIDE OF SOMETHING AWFUL
(Here comes the general)

quote:

This was the time of day when I most wished I was able to sleep.

High school.

Or was purgatory the right word? If there were any way to atone for my sins, this ought to count toward the tally in some measure. The tedium was not something I grew used to; every day seemed more impossibly monotonous than the last.

Perhaps this could even be considered my form of sleep—if sleep was defined as the inert state between active periods.

THE EMO IN WASHINGTON

quote:

I stared at the cracks running through the plaster in the far corner of the cafeteria, imagining patterns into them that were not there. It was one way to tune out the voices that babbled like the gush of a river inside my head.

Several hundred of these voices I ignored out of boredom.

When it came to the human mind, I’d heard it all before and then some. Today, all thoughts were consumed with the trivial drama of a new addition to the small student body. It took so little to work them up. I’d seen the new face repeated in thought after thought from every angle. Just an ordinary human girl. The excitement over her arrival was tiresomely predictable—it was the same reaction as one would get from flashing a shiny object at a group of toddlers. Half the sheep-like males were already imagining themselves infatuated with her, just because she was something new to look at. I tried harder to tune them out.

Edward Cullen wastes no time in establishing himself as the world's biggest douchebag. As you'll quickly find out, his loathing of humanity is only overshadowed by his embodiment of all of the traits he claims to despise. The boy who scoffs at how petty and trivial humans are is, in fact, the most petty one in the school with the most obsession with trivial details. And it gets absurd.

quote:

Only four voices did I block out of courtesy rather than distaste: my family, my two brothers and two sisters, who were so used to the lack of privacy in my presence that they rarely worried about it. I gave them what I could. I tried not to listen if I could help it.

Try as I may, still… I knew.

It must be absolute hell knowing that you're living with someone who not only reads your mind, but can't help it. It's always on 24/7. Every one of your private thoughts will get blasted into his brain unless he specifically tries to pretend he's not noticing it.

quote:

Rosalie was thinking, as usual, about herself—her mind was a stagnant pool with few surprises. She’d caught sight of her profile in the reflection off someone’s glasses, and she was mulling over her own perfection. No one else’s hair was closer to true gold, no one else’s shape was quite so perfectly an hourglass, no one else’s face was such a flawless, symmetrical oval. She didn’t compare herself to the humans here; that juxtaposition would have been laughable, absurd. She thought of others like us, none of them her equal.

And the first thing we see of Rosalie is this disgusting paragraph. Meyer has admitted in a recent interview about the book to hating Rosalie, despite the complexity she tried to give her, and thus has been purposefully writing her as a shrill harpy who's always wrong. The statements she's made about her own difficulties growing up as a meek brunette in school and the comparisons to Bella as a self-insert suggest that she still has a lot of pent-up issues about her time in school.

quote:

Emmett’s usually carefree expression was crumpled with frustration. Even now, he ran one enormous hand through his ebony curls, twisting the hair into his fist. Still fuming over the wrestling match he’d lost to Jasper during the night. It would take all his limited patience to make it to the end of the school day to orchestrate a rematch. Hearing Emmett’s thoughts never felt intrusive, because he never thought one thing that he would not say aloud or put into action. Perhaps I only felt guilty reading the others’ minds because I knew there were things inside that they wouldn’t want me to know. If Rosalie’s mind was a stagnant pool, then Emmett’s was a lake with no shadows, glass clear.

quote:

And Jasper was… suffering. I suppressed a sigh.

Is there anything new?

quote:

Edward. Alice called my name in her head and had my attention at once.

It was just the same as having my name called aloud. I was glad my given name had fallen out of style in the last few decades—it had been annoying in the past; anytime anyone thought of any Edward, my head would turn automatically.

At the time Edward Masen was born for real in 1901, "Edward" was the 9th most popular name for boys. In 1987 when his new identity would have been "born", it was #61. Not a name you see everywhere, but hardly a rarity. Even with the popularity of Twilight, the name hasn't been in the Top 100 since 1997. The best explanation I have is that Meyer was looking at baby name popularity when she wrote.

quote:

My head didn’t turn now. Alice and I were good at these private conversations. It was rare that anyone caught us. I kept my eyes on the lines in the plaster.

How is he holding up? she asked me.

I frowned, just a small change in the set of my mouth. Nothing that would tip the others off. I could easily be frowning out of boredom.

I'm pretty sure pre-Bella, a frown was his neutral expression.

quote:

Jasper had been still for too long. He wasn’t performing human ticks the way we all must, constantly in motion so as not to stand out, like Emmett pulling at his hair, Rosalie crossing her legs first one way then the next, Alice tapping her toes against the linoleum, or me, moving my head to stare at different patterns in the wall. Jasper looked paralyzed, his lean form ramrod straight, even his honey hair seeming not to react to the air wafting from the vents.

Again, I don't get why vampires just lose all of their human habits that aren't even related to comfort (like shifting weight to another leg).

quote:

Alice’s mental tone was alarmed now, and I saw in her mind that she was watching Jasper in her peripheral vision. Is there any danger? She searched ahead into the immediate future, skimming through visions of monotony for the source behind my frown. Even as she did so, she remembered to tuck one tiny fist under her sharp chin and blink regularly. She brushed a tuft of her short, jagged black hair out of her eyes.

I turned my head slowly to the left, as if looking at the bricks of the wall, sighed, and then turned to the right, back to the cracks in the ceiling. The others would assume I was playing human. Only Alice knew I was shaking my head.

If this is how the Cullens "play human", they're bad at it. Just staring glumly at everything around them and then leaving.

quote:

She relaxed. Let me know if it gets too bad.

I moved only my eyes, up to the ceiling above, and back down.

Nodding with your eyes is the silliest thing.

quote:

Thanks for doing this.

I was glad I couldn’t answer her aloud. What would I say? My pleasure? It was hardly that. I didn’t enjoy tuning in to Jasper’s struggles. Was it really necessary to experiment this way? Wouldn’t the safer path be to just admit that he might never be able to handle his thirst as well as the rest of us could, and not push his limits? Why flirt with disaster?

Yes, this is a terrible idea! Remember how Jasper flew into a cannibalistic rage from a papercut? This confirms what we were thinking: he really does spend all of his time around humans just barely suppressing the urge for a feeding frenzy.

quote:

It had been two weeks since our last hunting trip. That was not an immensely difficult time span for the rest of us. A little uncomfortable occasionally—if a human walked too close, if the wind blew the wrong way. But humans rarely walked too close. Their instincts told them what their conscious minds would never understand: We were a danger that must be avoided.

Jasper was very dangerous right now.

It did not happen often, but every now and then I would be struck by the obliviousness of the humans around us. We were all so accustomed to it, we always expected it, but occasionally it seemed more glaring than usual. None of them noticed us here, lounging at the battered cafeteria table, though an ambush of tigers sprawled in our places would be less lethal than we were. All they saw were five odd-looking people, close enough to human to pass. It was hard to imagine surviving with senses so incredibly dull.

Yes, we get it. Humans are pathetic and weak. Move on.

To note something interesting, relatively little was added to or changed from the original 2008 leaked draft. One of the few changes (other than, amazingly, making the anti-Rosalie paragraph even longer) was this addition here for Edward to keep smugly turning his nose up at humanity.

quote:

At that moment, a small girl paused at the end of the closest table to ours, stopping to talk to a friend. She tossed her short, sandy hair, combing her fingers through it. The heaters blew her scent in our direction. I was used to the way that scent made me feel—the dry ache in my throat, the hollow yearn in my stomach, the automatic tightening of my muscles, the excess flow of venom in my mouth.

This was all quite normal, usually easy to ignore. It was harder just now, with the reactions stronger, doubled, as I monitored Jasper.

Jasper was letting his imagination get away from him. He was picturing it—picturing himself getting up from his seat next to Alice and going to stand beside the little girl. Thinking of leaning down and in, as if he were going to whisper in her ear, and letting his lips touch the arch of her throat. Imagining how the hot flow of her pulse beneath the weak barrier of her skin would feel under his mouth…

If Meyer was intentionally writing this as a rape analogue, she should not have done that for characters who are supposed to be sympathetic.

quote:

I kicked his chair.

He met my gaze, his black eyes resentful for a second, and then looked down. I could hear shame and rebellion war in his head.

“Sorry,” Jasper muttered.

I shrugged.

“You weren’t going to do anything,” Alice murmured to him, soothing his mortification. “I could see that.”

I fought back the frown that would give her lie away. We had to stick together, Alice and I. It wasn’t easy, being the freaks among those who were already freaks. We protected each other’s secrets.

So Alice saw in the future that her husband, the one who's always at risk of going rabid on everyone, was absolutely about to go kill this girl...and she did nothing but expect Edward to handle it.

quote:

“It helps a little if you think of them as people,” Alice suggested, her high, musical voice racing too fast for human ears to understand, if any had been close enough to hear. “Her name is Whitney. She has a baby sister she adores. Her mother invited Esme to that garden party, do you remember?”

“I know who she is,” Jasper said curtly. He turned away to stare out one of the small windows that were spaced just under the eaves around the long room. His tone ended the conversation.

So is thinking of humans as people not the default?

quote:

He would have to hunt tonight. It was ridiculous to take risks like this, trying to test his strength, to build his endurance. Jasper should just accept his limitations and work within them.

Especially because if you fail, you kill people.

quote:

Alice sighed silently and stood, taking her tray of food—her prop, as it were—with her and leaving him alone. She knew when he’d had enough of her encouragement. Though Rosalie and Emmett were more flagrant about their relationship, it was Alice and Jasper who knew each other’s every need as well as their own. As if they could read minds, too—but only each other’s.

Edward.

Reflex reaction. I turned to the sound of my name being called, though it wasn’t being called, just thought.

My eyes locked for half a second with a pair of large, chocolate-brown human eyes set in a pale, heart-shaped face. I knew the face, though I’d never seen it myself before this moment. It had been foremost in every human head today. The new student, Isabella Swan. Daughter of the town’s chief of police, brought to live here by some new custody situation. Bella. She’d corrected everyone who’d used her full name.

I looked away, bored. It took me a second to realize that she had not been the one to think my name.

And there it is: your love at first sight. Except it wasn't. It was looking at her for half a second and then moving on.

Why did Edward fall in love? Read on!

quote:

Of course she’s already crushing on the Cullens, I heard the first thought continue.

Now I recognized the “voice.”

Jessica Stanley—it had been a while since she’d bothered me with her internal chatter. What a relief it had been when she’d gotten over her misplaced fixation. It used to be nearly impossible to escape her constant, ridiculous daydreams. I’d wished, at the time, that I could explain to her exactly what would have happened if my lips, and the teeth behind them, had gotten anywhere near her. That would have silenced those annoying fantasies. The thought of her reaction almost made me smile.

So first things first: Meyer wrote Edward back in 2007 as basically a sociopath with histrionic tendencies. Robert Pattinson was given the draft to read while filming the first movie, and it was a major driving factor in him hating the character. As you'll see going through this, Pattinson's acting was purposefully an exact duplicate of how he read Edward on the page.

The second thing is that there's a lot of retroactive characterization changes in this book. Because of Meyer's lack of writing skill and worldbuilding, it's impossible to tell if it's characterization that she meant to include the first time around but was unable to figure out how to integrate and thus skipped altogether or if she's specifically responding to criticism of how she portrayed the characters by retroactively adding back in how she wants them to be perceived.

The two who get hit the hardest (other than Rosalie, and Meyer comes back and begrudgingly fixes some of that later) are probably Mike and Jessica. Mike was a normal, if slightly annoying, kid with a crush who moved on without issue before becoming a sudden douchebag in New Moon and then disappearing almost entirely afterward, while Jessica behaved in a manner that's totally normal for a teenage girl and had very justifiable problems with Bella's behavior but was demonized by Bella as "traitorous" for not immediately accepting her back into their friend group. Midnight Sun "fixes" how we perceived them by letting Edward narrate all their inner thoughts so we can know that yes, Meyer truly was right all along in how she wrote them! They really were just terrible people we never should have felt sorry for!

quote:

Fat lot of good it will do her, Jessica went on. She’s really not even pretty. I don’t know why Eric is staring so much… or Mike.

She flinched mentally on the latter name. Her new obsession, the generically popular Mike Newton, was completely oblivious to her. Apparently, he was not as oblivious to the new girl. Another child reaching for the shiny object. This put a mean edge to Jessica’s thoughts, though she was outwardly cordial to the newcomer as she explained to her the commonly held knowledge about my family. The new student must have asked about us.

Remember how Renesmee was supposed to be a super genius who's "smarter than most adults" (I keep having to reference that because she actually loving said that guys) but would also suddenly revert to a toddler who goes "Shiny!" and grabs for sparkly objects before immediately destroying all of her toys, no matter how valuable? I'm starting to wonder if Meyer just thinks that's how people are with this metaphor coming in.

quote:

Everyone’s looking at me today, too, Jessica thought smugly. Isn’t it lucky Bella has two classes with me? I’ll bet Mike will want to ask me what she’s—

I tried to block the inane chatter out of my head before the petty and the trivial could drive me mad.

I wasn't kidding about "petty and trivial."

quote:

“Jessica Stanley is giving the new Swan girl all the dirty laundry on the Cullen clan,” I murmured to Emmett as a distraction.

He chuckled under his breath. I hope she’s making it good, he thought.

“Rather unimaginative, actually. Just the barest hint of scandal. Not an ounce of horror. I’m a little disappointed.”

Edward is so obsessed with his self-image as a monster that he legitimately can't figure out why people just think he's kind of weird instead of a dangerous predator.

quote:

And the new girl? Is she disappointed in the gossip as well?

I listened to hear what this new girl, Bella, thought of Jessica’s story. What did she see when she looked at the strange, chalky-skinned family that was universally avoided?

It was my responsibility to know her reaction. I acted as a lookout, for lack of a better word, for my family. To protect us. If anyone ever grew suspicious, I could give us early warning and an easy retreat. It happened occasionally—some human with an active imagination would see in us the characters of a book or a movie. Usually they got it wrong, but it was better to move on somewhere new than to risk scrutiny. Rarely, extremely rarely, someone would guess right. We didn’t give them a chance to test their hypothesis. We simply disappeared, to become no more than a frightening memory.

That hadn't happened for decades.

Maybe if you made the barest effort to blend in, nobody would get it right! It's not like you guys have to make best friends with every human who comes your way, but this whole routine of "Show up in sports cars and designer clothes, buy food just to throw it out, spend all day staring at the walls and ignoring everyone when you're not making creepy faces at them, and getting the top scores in everything you actually take but mysteriously disappearing with changing eye colors every few weeks" is absolutely guaranteed to attract unwanted attention from teens who have nothing to do but gossip about the hot weird family!

Seriously, I don't know if Meyer has just forgotten what teenagers are like, but they will make rumors about people at the snap of a finger. All you have to do is be kinda weird and suddenly the most random gossip will show up. The Cullens are a veritable rumor factory, and "They're a family of vampires!" would be the easiest loving rumor to make happen with how they look and act.

quote:

I heard nothing, though I listened close beside where Jessica’s frivolous internal monologue continued to gush. It was as if there were no one sitting beside her. How peculiar. Had the girl moved? That didn’t seem likely, as Jessica was still babbling at her. I looked up, feeling off-balance. Checking on my extra “hearing”—it wasn’t something I ever had to do.

Again, my gaze locked onto those wide brown eyes. She was sitting right where she had been before and looking at us—a natural thing to be doing, I supposed, as Jessica was still regaling her with the local gossip about the Cullens. Thinking about us, too, would be natural.

But I couldn’t hear a whisper.

Yes. There's just nothing there.

quote:

Warm, inviting red stained her cheeks as she looked down, away from the embarrassing gaffe of getting caught staring at a stranger. It was good that Jasper was still gazing out the window. I didn’t like to imagine what that easy pooling of blood would do to his control.

Once again reinforcing how dumb the vampires all were in Breaking Dawn when they can not only see blood under the skin, but it's specifically enticing to them. And none of them noticed it on Renesmee until told to calm down and focus.

quote:

The emotions had been as clear on her face as if they were spelled out in words: surprise, as she unknowingly absorbed the signs of the subtle differences between her kind and mine; curiosity, as she listened to Jessica’s tale; and something more… Fascination? It wouldn’t be the first time. We were beautiful to them, our intended prey. Then, finally, the embarrassment.

And yet, though her thoughts had been so clear in her odd eyes—odd because of the depth to them—I could hear only silence from the place she was sitting. Just… silence.

I felt a moment of unease.

This was nothing I’d ever encountered. Was there something wrong with me? I felt exactly the same as I always did. Worried, I listened harder.

Now in retrospect, we can identify a big problem here. It's established in Breaking Dawn that "shields" like Bella are known to exist among the litany of possible vampire powers, and Edward already met Renata and recognized that there are defensive powers like that. But he's also aware that humans with potential powers as vampires can exhibit them before they transform, such as Alice having such strong clairvoyance that she was thrown in an asylum. Not to spoil anything, but this book later establishes even more (in the post-leak writing) that Edward really does know about this phenomenon and can recognize it in others. But in the original Twilight, he didn't. Bella just had a "private mind" that Edward couldn't read, providing a way to have a telepathic love interest who can't just see everything in her head and complicate things. That's why everyone else's powers worked flawlessly on her and the logic behind her shield broke down faster with each book.

Realistically, Edward's first thought shouldn't have been amazement at this super unique specimen that he has to obsess over like he encountered a cryptid or something. Knowing what he knows, he should have thought "Oh, there's yet another human with powerful untapped psychic potential that would come out as a vampire!" This is likely a similar situation as the Forever Dawn debacle: Meyer was unwilling or unable to change more than she had to from the original story, and so she threw out any post-Twilight canon that could make her job harder.

quote:

All the voices I’d been blocking were suddenly shouting in my head.

… wonder what music she likes… maybe I could mention my new CD…, Mike Newton was thinking, two tables away—focused on Bella Swan.

Look at him staring at her. Isn’t it enough that he has half the girls in school waiting for him to… Eric Yorkie’s thoughts were caustic, and also revolving around the girl.

… so disgusting. You’d think she was famous or something.…

Even Edward Cullen staring.…
Lauren Mallory was so jealous that her face, by all rights, should be dark jade in color. And Jessica, flaunting her new best friend. What a joke… Vitriol continued to spew from the girl’s thoughts.

… I bet everyone has asked her that. But I’d like to talk to her. What’s something more original? Ashley Dowling mused.

… maybe she’ll be in my Spanish…, June Richardson hoped.

… tons left to do tonight! Trig, and the English test. I hope my mom… Angela Weber, a quiet girl whose thoughts were unusually kind, was the only one at the table who wasn’t obsessed with this Bella.

In a way, this isn't just a book about Edward. It's a book about everyone but Bella. Because he can read everyone's minds at all times whether he wants to or not, we get all of the detail that would otherwise only be present in a third-person omniscient narration.

quote:

I could hear them all, hear every insignificant thing they were thinking as it passed through their minds. But nothing at all from the new student with the deceptively communicative eyes.

Is it deceptive because she's awful at communication?

quote:

And of course, I could hear what the girl said when she spoke to Jessica. I didn’t have to read minds to be able to hear her low, clear voice on the far side of the long room.

“Which one is the boy with the reddish-brown hair?” I heard her ask, sneaking another look at me from the corner of her eye, only to glance quickly away when she saw that I was still staring.

If I’d had time to hope that hearing the sound of her voice would help me pinpoint the tone of her thoughts, I was instantly disappointed. Usually, people’s thoughts came to them in a similar pitch to their physical voices. But this quiet, shy voice was unfamiliar, not one of the hundreds of thoughts bouncing around the room, I was sure of that. Entirely new.

Oh, good luck, idiot! Jessica thought before answering the girl’s question. “That’s Edward. He’s gorgeous, of course, but don’t waste your time. He doesn’t date. Apparently none of the girls here are good-looking enough for him.” She snorted quietly.

I turned my head away to hide my smile. Jessica and her classmates had no idea how lucky they were that none of them particularly appealed to me.

Yeah, remember how much we liked Jessica in the first book and were appalled at how badly Bella was treating her in New Moon? Turns out we were meant to think she was a conniving slut who was only pretending to like her the entire time!

Again, there's a lot of insecurities about growing up coming out in the high school scenes. When we first read this scene, Meyer outright stated in interviews that this was meant to be an analog to when she moved to Provo and suddenly found herself appealing and popular out of nowhere but it came off as a classic Mary Sue scene where everyone just instantly loves the main character unconditionally and wants to be her best friend. From a new angle though, it looks like the opposite: everyone who seems to like you is actually faking it and wants to hurt you, none of them can be trusted.

quote:

Beneath the transient humor, I felt a strange impulse, one I did not clearly understand. It had something to do with the vicious edge to Jessica’s thoughts that the new girl was unaware of.… I felt the strangest urge to step in between them, to shield Bella Swan from the darker workings of Jessica’s mind. What an odd thing to feel. Trying to ferret out the motivations behind the impulse, I examined the new girl one more time, through Jessica’s eyes now. My staring had attracted too much attention.

quote:

Perhaps it was just some long-buried protective instinct—the strong for the weak. Somehow, this girl looked more fragile than her new classmates. Her skin was so translucent it was hard to believe it offered her much defense from the outside world. I could see the rhythmic pulse of blood through her veins under the clear, pale membrane.… But I should not concentrate on that. I was good at this life I’d chosen, but I was just as thirsty as Jasper and there was no point in inviting temptation.

There was a faint crease between her eyebrows that she seemed unaware of.

It was unbelievably frustrating! I could easily see that it was a strain for her to sit there, to make conversation with strangers, to be the center of attention. I could sense her shyness from the way she held her frail-looking shoulders, slightly hunched, as if she was expecting a rebuff at any moment. And yet I could only see, could only sense, could only imagine. There was nothing but silence from the very unexceptional human girl. I could hear nothing. Why?

One thing that most fans have been in agreement on so far is that Bella is a lot more appealing to read about when we're not in her head. We don't see her constantly sighing at how hard it is having everyone fawning over her 24/7 and getting annoyed at her dad for trying to care about her.

quote:

“Shall we?” Rosalie murmured, interrupting my focus.

I turned my mind away from the girl with a sense of relief. I didn’t want to continue to fail at this—failure was a rare thing for me, and even more irritating than it was uncommon. I didn’t want to develop any interest in her hidden thoughts simply because they were hidden. No doubt when I did decipher them—and I would find a way to do so—they would be just as petty and trivial as any human’s. Not worth the effort I would expend to reach them.

Edward is supposed to be interpreted as lying to himself (why would he obsess over finding a way to read her mind if it's supposedly not worth it because she's a petty huuuuuman?), but the level of sociopathy just instantly kills any interest you can have in this guy.

quote:

“So, is the new one afraid of us yet?” Emmett asked, still waiting for my response to his earlier question.

I shrugged. He wasn’t interested enough to press for more information.

We got up from the table and walked out of the cafeteria.

Emmett, Rosalie, and Jasper were pretending to be seniors; they left for their classes. I was playing a younger role than they. I headed off for my junior-level Biology lesson, preparing my mind for the tedium. It was doubtful Mr. Banner, a man of no more than average intellect, would manage to pull out anything in his lecture that would surprise someone holding two medical degrees.

I want you to remember that he has two medical degrees, because this boy is not going to act like it later on.

quote:

In the classroom, I settled into my chair and let my books—props, again; they held nothing I didn’t already know—spill across the table. I was the only student who had a table to himself. The humans weren’t smart enough to know that they feared me, but their innate survival instincts were enough to keep them away.

Yes, it's definitely their innate survival instincts. Not that you look and act like a budding school shooter.

quote:

The room slowly filled as they trickled in from lunch. I leaned back in my chair and waited for the time to pass. Again, I wished I were able to sleep. Because I’d been thinking about the new girl, when Angela Weber escorted her through the door, her name intruded on my attention.

Bella seems just as shy as me. I’ll bet today is really hard for her. I wish I could say something… but it would probably just sound stupid.

Of course the only person in school who's actually honest and likes Bella for real is also a shy and insecure girl! All the popular kids are just cruel bullies!

quote:

Yes! Mike Newton thought, turning in his seat to watch the girls enter.

Still, from the place where Bella Swan stood, nothing. The empty space where her thoughts should be vexed and unnerved me. What if it all went away? What if this was just the first symptom of some kind of mental decline?

I’d often wished that I could escape the cacophony. That I could be normal—as far as that was possible for me. But now I felt panicked at the thought. Who would I be without what I could do? I’d never heard of such a thing. I would see if Carlisle had.

Oh, I dunno. You'd just still be one of the most powerful beings on Earth.

quote:

The girl walked down the aisle beside me, headed to the teacher’s desk. Poor girl; the seat next to me was the only one available. Automatically, I cleared what would be her side of the table, shoving my books into a pile. I doubted she would feel very comfortable there. She was in for a long semester—in this class, at least. Perhaps, though, sitting beside her, I’d be able to flush out her thoughts’ hiding place… not that I’d ever needed close proximity before. Not that I would find anything worth listening to.

Bella Swan walked into the flow of heated air that blew toward me from the vent.

quote:

Her scent hit me like a battering ram, like an exploding grenade. There was no image violent enough to encompass the force of what happened to me in that moment.

Instantly, I was transformed. I was nothing close to the human I’d once been. No trace of the shreds of humanity I’d managed to cloak myself in over the years remained.

I was a predator. She was my prey. There was nothing else in the whole world but that truth.

There was no room full of witnesses—they were already collateral damage in my mind. The mystery of her thoughts was forgotten. Her thoughts meant nothing, for she would not go on thinking them much longer.

I was a vampire, and she had the sweetest blood I’d smelled in more than eighty years.

I hadn’t imagined that such a scent could exist. If I’d known it did, I would have gone searching for it long ago. I would have scoured the planet for her. I could imagine the taste.…

In case anyone was wondering how close Edward was to snapping and going back to murder at any time!

quote:

Thirst burned through my throat like fire. My mouth felt baked and desiccated, and the fresh flow of venom did nothing to dispel that sensation. My stomach twisted with the hunger that was an echo of the thirst. My muscles coiled to spring.

Not a full second had passed. She was still taking the same step that had put her downwind from me.

As her foot touched the ground, her eyes slid toward me, a movement she clearly meant to be stealthy. Her gaze met mine, and I saw myself reflected in the mirror of her eyes.

Super awesome vampire eyes that can only see what the plot tells them to!

quote:

The shock of the face I saw there saved her life for a few thorny moments.

She didn’t make it easier. When she processed the expression on my face, blood flooded her cheeks again, turning her skin the most delicious color I’d ever seen. The scent was a thick haze in my brain. I could barely think through it. My instincts raged, resisting control, incoherent.

Nobody could tell Renesmee wasn't a vampire despite being able to see blood under the skin.

quote:

She walked more quickly now, as if she understood the need to escape. Her haste made her clumsy—she tripped and stumbled forward, almost falling into the girl seated in front of me. Vulnerable, weak. Even more than usual for a human.

"Pathetic."

quote:

I tried to focus on the face I’d seen in her eyes, a face I recognized with revulsion. The face of the monster inside me—the face I’d beaten back with decades of effort and uncompromising discipline. How easily it sprang to the surface now!

The scent swirled around me again, scattering my thoughts and nearly propelling me out of my seat.

No.

My hand gripped under the edge of the table as I tried to hold myself in my chair. The wood was not up to the task. My hand crushed through the strut and came away with a palmful of splintered pulp, leaving the shape of my fingers carved into the remaining wood.

Destroy evidence. That was a fundamental rule. I quickly pulverized the edges of the shape with my fingertips, leaving nothing but a ragged hole and a pile of shavings on the floor, which I scattered with my foot.

No, Bella did not see any sign of Edward smashing his hand through the loving desk as she walked up to the table.

quote:

Destroy evidence. Collateral damage…

I knew what had to happen now. The girl would have to come sit beside me, and I would have to kill her.

The innocent bystanders in this classroom, eighteen other children and one man, could not be allowed to leave, having seen what they would soon see.

I flinched at the thought of what I must do. Even at my very worst, I had never committed this kind of atrocity. I had never killed innocents. And now I planned to slaughter twenty of them at once.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 25, 2020

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Jesus christ Meyer hates blondes. In just one chapter she's manages to bitch about Rosalie, Lauren, and that random girl with straw-colored hair.

Also, I never pictured Rose as having an hourglass figure. I guess we're supposed to be thinking Scarlett Johansson and not Christina Hendricks, but it's still a weird visual for a high-schooler.

I wonder if Meyer realized the Twilight-zone (:downsrim:) aspect of having an eternal life not worth living. Being bored only 100 years into your endless life is terrifying. There's a Good Place episode that explores the idea, and the solution they come up with is the ability to end your life for good. How many vampires have committed suicide over the centuries? How many have been driven insane by being in purgatory for 1000 years? Even Harry Potter tackled this idea in the first book, and that was aimed at 11 year olds.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Reminder that plagiarist and abuse apologist Erica James also made blonde-hate a trend. Gee, I wonder why?

What’s with people who think the idea of repeating high school dozens of times to blend in is appealing?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

I wonder if Meyer realized the Twilight-zone (:downsrim:) aspect of having an eternal life not worth living. Being bored only 100 years into your endless life is terrifying. There's a Good Place episode that explores the idea, and the solution they come up with is the ability to end your life for good. How many vampires have committed suicide over the centuries? How many have been driven insane by being in purgatory for 1000 years? Even Harry Potter tackled this idea in the first book, and that was aimed at 11 year olds.

I brought that up early on. Edward claims that so far nobody has determined if vampires can starve to death, only that the burning feeling of hunger grows steadily more and more unbearable. Bella and Edward end the series with "forever" and Bella in particular is obsessed about immortality because she wants to be with Edward for eternity (which is obviously going to be your analogue for an afterlife together in perfection), but that can't happen. Even if none of the Cullens go insane or die in battle or accidents, humanity will eventually die out, followed by animals, and after a few billion years the Earth will be destroyed entirely. In practice, there's no way for the Cullen family to end except by mutual suicide pact.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Also, I never pictured Rose as having an hourglass figure. I guess we're supposed to be thinking Scarlett Johansson and not Christina Hendricks, but it's still a weird visual for a high-schooler.

Not if you watch a lot of TV and movies where high schoolers are played by people in their mid-20s and older!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

What’s with people who think the idea of repeating high school dozens of times to blend in is appealing?

Some people peaked in high school.

They get to be so much better than the sheeple around them because it’s their tenth time through and they’ve seen all the possible permutations. I don’t think I’ve seen a story with a similar conceit where it’s only the second time through school so the immortal is still kind of a goober; they always begin the after several passes so they’ve already seen everything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Midjack posted:

Some people peaked in high school.

They get to be so much better than the sheeple around them because it’s their tenth time through and they’ve seen all the possible permutations. I don’t think I’ve seen a story with a similar conceit where it’s only the second time through school so the immortal is still kind of a goober; they always begin the after several passes so they’ve already seen everything.

Here's Meyer's own words from her FAQ:

quote:

Some parts of Bella’s experiences are modeled after real life (my life, to be exact) in order to ground the fantasy aspects of the story in solid reality. Ironically, many of the details that are one hundred percent reality are the ones that are called into question the most (as illustrated by some of my angry Amazon reviews). In this particular case, I modeled Bella’s move to Forks after my real life move from high school to college. (Personal story alert!) I mentioned in my bio that I went to a high school in Scottsdale, AZ, which is Arizona’s version of Beverly Hills (picture the high school in the movie Clueless). In high school, I was a mousy, A-track wall-flower. I had a lot of incredible girlfriends, but I wasn’t much sought after by the Y chromosomes, if you know what I mean. Then I went to college in Provo, Utah. Let me tell you, my stock went through the roof. See, beauty is a lot more subjective than you might think. In Scottsdale, surrounded by barbies, I was about a five. In Provo, surrounded by normal people, I was more like an eight. I had dates every weekend with lots of really pretty and intelligent boys (some of whose names end up in my books). It was quite confusing at first, because I knew there was nothing different about me. (Side note: don’t ever let anyone tell you that high school is supposed to be fun. High school is to be endured. College is fun.)

This is what she looked like in school:

Not exactly a 5/10, right? But Scottsdale is a wealthy suburb of Phoenix full of spas, golf courses, and tourists. Her high school, Chaparral, is a relatively prestigious one that's put out hot blonde entertainers like Busy Philipps, Lauren Hildebrandt, and Jenny Mollen. She was comparing herself to the daughters of wealthy families, ones that may have owned tourist-related businesses or been otherwise involved in the destination spa and golf industry, and clearly doesn't think well of them. The bizarre obsession with simultaneously finding blondes the prettiest and the bitchiest makes a lot more sense when you read about Meyer's childhood.

So this series is essentially wish fulfillment for Meyer as she wishes her life could have been. She's still dutifully married and having children with very quiet and polite sex at 18, but she also gets to be the hottest girl in town with billions of dollars and a Ferrari and a daughter who skips all the uncomfortable and unpleasant parts of raising a child.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

The face of the monster in my reflection mocked me.

Even as part of me shuddered away from him, another part was planning what would happen next.

If I killed the girl first, I would have only fifteen or twenty seconds with her before the humans in the room reacted. Maybe a little longer if at first they did not realize what I was doing. She would not have time to scream or feel pain; I would not kill her cruelly. That much I could give this stranger with her horribly desirable blood.

This is supposed to be scary, but it's the exact same dry, pompous narration that Edward uses when bored in the cafeteria.

quote:

But then I would have to stop them from escaping. I wouldn’t have to worry about the windows, too high up and small to provide an escape for anyone. Just the door—block that and they were trapped.

It would be slower and more difficult, trying to take them all down when they were panicked and scrambling, moving in chaos. Not impossible, but there would be much more noise. Time for lots of screaming. Someone would hear… and I’d be forced to kill even more innocents in this black hour.

Yeah, and you're so against that!

quote:

And her blood would cool while I murdered the others.

The scent punished me, closing my throat with dry aching.…

So the witnesses first, then.

I mapped it out in my head. I was in the middle of the room, the row farthest from the front. I would take my right side first. I could snap four or five of their necks per second, I estimated. It would not be noisy. The right side would be the lucky side; they would not see me coming. Moving around the front and back down the left side, it would take me, at most, five seconds to end every life in this room.

Here's our established lower limit for how lethal vampires would be if unleashed on the world without the Volturi to stop them. You get an efficient vampire who's trying to kill as many people as possible before drinking any blood, no army would stand a chance against them. One of them could wipe out an entire military base in the night in minutes.

quote:

Long enough for Bella Swan to see, briefly, what was coming for her. Long enough for her to feel fear. Long enough, maybe, if shock didn’t freeze her in place, for her to work up a scream. One soft scream that would not bring anyone running.

I took a deep breath, and the scent was a fire that raced through my dry veins, burning out from my chest to consume every better impulse that I was capable of.

If you rewatch Robert Pattinson's acting in the first movie after seeing how he read it, it's obvious how much he nailed Midnight Sun.

quote:

She was just turning now. In a few seconds, she would sit down inches away from me.

The monster in my head exulted.

Someone slammed shut a folder on my left. I didn’t look up to see which of the doomed humans it was, but the motion sent a wave of ordinary, unscented air wafting across my face.

For one short second, I was able to think clearly. In that precious instant, I saw two faces in my head, side by side.

Both wolves, for some reason.

quote:

One was mine, or rather had been: the red-eyed monster that had killed so many people that I’d stopped counting. Rationalized, justified murders. I had been a killer of killers, a killer of other, less powerful monsters. It was a god complex, I acknowledged that—deciding who deserved a death sentence. It was a compromise with myself. I had fed on human blood, but only by the loosest definition. My victims were, in their various dark pastimes, barely more human than I was.

The other face was Carlisle’s.

There was no resemblance between the two faces. They were bright day and blackest night.

quote:

There was no reason for a resemblance to exist. Carlisle was not my father in the basic biological sense. We shared no common features. The similarity in our coloring was a product of what we were; every vampire was corpse-pale. The similarity in the color of our eyes was another matter—a reflection of a mutual choice.

And yet, though there was no basis for a resemblance, I’d imagined that my face had begun to reflect his, to an extent, in the last seventy-odd years that I had embraced his choice and followed in his steps. My features had not changed, but it seemed to me as though some of his wisdom had marked my expression, a little of his compassion could be traced in the set of my mouth, and hints of his patience were evident on my brow.

Note the tacit admission that wisdom, compassion, and patience are not things Edward Cullen naturally has!

quote:

All those tiny improvements were lost in the monster’s face. In a few moments, there would be nothing left in me that would reflect the years I’d spent with my creator, my mentor, my father in all the ways that counted. My eyes would glow red as a devil’s; all likeness would be lost forever.

In my head, Carlisle’s kind eyes did not judge me. I knew that he would forgive me for this horrible act. Because he loved me. Because he thought I was better than I was.

Carlisle, you, uh, might want to reconsider how much forgiveness you hand out with this boy.

quote:

Bella Swan sat down in the chair next to me, her movements stiff and awkward—no doubt with fear—and the scent of her blood bloomed in an inescapable cloud around me.

Going back to read Twilight, Bella was actually bewildered and sniffing at her hair in confusion because Edward was screwing up his face and leaning all the way to the other end of the table when she sat down. This guy is full bore into self-identifying as a monster that everyone's afraid of and divorced from reality because of it.

quote:

I would prove my father wrong about me. The misery of this fact hurt almost as much as the fire in my throat.

I leaned away from her in revulsion—disgusted by the monster aching to take her.

You heard it here, folks: Edward is refusing to kill Bella not because he finds it sufficiently wrong or immoral, but because he wants to prove Carlisle wrong.

quote:

Why did she have to come here? Why did she have to exist? Why did she have to ruin the little peace I had in this nonlife of mine? Why had this aggravating human ever been born? She would ruin me.

I turned my face away from her as a sudden fierce, irrational hatred washed through me.

I didn’t want to be the monster! I didn’t want to kill this roomful of harmless children! I didn’t want to lose everything I’d gained in a lifetime of sacrifice and denial!

I wouldn’t.

She couldn’t make me.

Are you blaming her for your problems already?

quote:

The scent was the problem, the hideously appealing scent of her blood. If there was only some way to resist… if only another gust of fresh air could clear my head.

Bella Swan shook out her long, thick mahogany hair in my direction.

Was she insane?

No, there was no helpful breeze. But I didn’t have to breathe.

I stopped the flow of air through my lungs. The relief was instantaneous, but incomplete. I still had the memory of the scent in my head, the taste of it on the back of my tongue. I wouldn’t be able to resist even that for long.

It took this dumb motherfucker that long to remember that he could just stop breathing.

quote:

Every life in this room was in danger while she and I were in it together. I should run. I wanted to run, to get away from the heat of her next to me, and the punishing pain of the burning, but I wasn’t one hundred percent sure that if I unlocked my muscles to move, even just to stand, I wouldn’t lash out and commit the slaughter I’d already planned.

It's easier to understand why one of Edward's first suicide plans in New Moon was to kill a bunch of innocent people in Volterra. He's literally one breath away from punching a child's head off.

quote:

But perhaps I could resist for an hour. Would one hour be enough time to gain control to move without striking? I doubted, then forced myself to commit. I would make it enough. Just enough time to get out of this room full of victims, victims that perhaps didn’t have to be victims. If I could resist for one short hour.

It was an uncomfortable feeling, not breathing. My body did not need oxygen, but it went against my instincts. I relied on scent more than my other senses in times of stress. It led the way in the hunt; it was the first warning in case of danger. I did not often come across something as dangerous as I was, but self-preservation was just as strong in my kind as it was in the average human.

And as we all know, vampire instincts just instantly click on and suppress all your human behavior once you transform.

quote:

Uncomfortable, but manageable. More bearable than smelling her and not sinking my teeth through that fine, thin, see-through skin to the hot, wet, pulsing—

Still sounding way too close to a rape analogue!

quote:

An hour! Just one hour. I must not think of the scent, the taste.

The silent girl kept her hair between us, leaning forward so that it spilled across her folder. I couldn’t see her face to try to read the emotions in her clear, deep eyes. Was she trying to hide those eyes from me? Out of fear? Shyness? To keep her secrets?

This is more hilarious than it is intriguing. Bella is just thinking Edward's an aggressive weirdo ruining her first day at school while in his mind he's twisting himself in knots trying to decipher all of the secret meaning that must be in her eyes!

quote:

My former irritation at being stymied by her soundless thoughts was weak and pale in comparison to the need—and the hate—that possessed me now. For I hated this frail girl beside me, hated her with all the fervor with which I clung to my former self, my love of my family, my dreams of being something better than what I was. Hating her, hating how she made me feel—it helped a little. Yes, the irritation I’d felt before was weak, but it, too, helped a little. I clung to any thought that distracted me from imagining what she would taste like.…

Hate and irritation. Impatience. Would the hour never pass?

Hope you guys like reading the inner monologue of a guy who sounds like he's trying to imitate 19th century literature to sound smart online.

quote:

And when the hour ended… she would walk out of this room. And I would do what?

If I could control the monster, make him see that the delay would be worth it… I could introduce myself. Hello, my name is Edward Cullen. May I walk you to your next class?

She would say yes. It would be the polite thing to do. Even already fearing me, as I was sure she did, she would follow convention and walk beside me. It should be easy enough to lead her in the wrong direction. A spur of the forest reached out like a finger to touch the back corner of the parking lot. I could tell her I’d forgotten a book in my car.…

Would anyone notice that I was the last person she’d been seen with? It was raining, as usual. Two dark raincoats heading in the wrong direction wouldn’t pique too much interest or give me away.

Oh, he's only suppressing the urge to kill for now. He'll gladly give in once they're outside!

quote:

Except that I was not the only student who was aware of her today—though no one was as blisteringly aware as I. Mike Newton, in particular, was conscious of every shift in her weight as she fidgeted in her chair—she was uncomfortable so close to me, just as anyone would be, just as I’d expected before her scent had destroyed all charitable concern. Mike Newton would notice if she left the classroom with me.

Mike Newton has saved Bella's life and ensured the rest of the Twilight series can go on!

quote:

If I could last an hour, could I last two?

I flinched at the pain of the burning.

She would go home to an empty house. Police Chief Swan worked an eight-hour day. I knew his house, as I knew every house in the tiny town. His home was nestled right up against thick woods, with no close neighbors. Even had she time to scream, which she would not, there would be no one to hear.

That would be the responsible way to deal with this. I’d gone more than seven decades without human blood. If I held my breath, I could last two hours. And when I had her alone, there would be no chance of anyone else getting hurt. And no reason to rush through the experience, the monster in my head agreed.

Yes, responsible.

quote:

It was sophistry to think that by saving the nineteen humans in this room with effort and patience, I would be less of a monster when I killed this innocent girl.

Though I hated her, I was absolutely aware that my hatred was unjust. I knew that what I really hated was myself. And I would hate us both so much more when she was dead.

Isn't he a charmer? Can't you see why we should all love him and his pure soul?

quote:

I made it through the hour in this way—imagining the best ways to kill her. I tried to avoid imagining the actual act. That might be too much for me. So I planned strategy and nothing more.

Not going to focus on something like morality? The difference between right and wrong? Why killing innocent girls is bad?

quote:

Once, toward the very end, she peeked up at me through the fluid wall of her hair. I could feel the unjustified hatred burning out of me as I met her gaze—see the reflection of it in her frightened eyes. Blood painted her cheek before she could hide in her hair again, and I was nearly undone.

But the bell rang. And we—how cliché—were saved. She, from death. I, for just a short time, from being the nightmarish creature I feared and loathed.

This guy really needs to start keeping a thermos of blood or something on him to sip during lunch.

quote:

Now I had to move.

Even focusing all my attention on the simplest of actions, I couldn’t walk as slowly as I should; I darted from the room. If anyone had been looking, they might have suspected that there was something not right about my exit. No one was paying attention to me; all thoughts still swirled around the girl who was condemned to die in little more than an hour’s time.

He sounds so....blase.

quote:

I hid in my car. I didn’t like to think of myself as having to hide. How cowardly that sounded. But I didn’t have enough discipline left to be around humans now. Focusing so much of my efforts on not killing one of them left me no resources to resist the others. What a waste that would be. If I were to give in to the monster, I might as well make it worth the defeat.

I played a CD that usually calmed me, but it did little for me now. No, what helped most was the cool, wet air that drifted with the light rain through my open windows. Though I could remember the scent of Bella Swan’s blood with perfect clarity, inhaling this clean air was like washing out the inside of my body from its infection.

What CD would he be listening to? Some people have ideas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY8b7bVIJP0

quote:

I was sane again. I could think again. And I could fight again. I could fight what I didn’t want to be.

I didn’t have to go to her home. I didn’t have to kill her. Obviously, I was a rational, thinking creature, and I had a choice. There was always a choice.

It hadn’t felt that way in the classroom… but I was away from her now.

I didn’t have to disappoint my father. I didn’t have to cause my mother stress, worry… pain. Yes, it would hurt my adopted mother, too. And she was so gentle, so tender and loving. Causing someone like Esme pain was truly inexcusable.

Notice how he doesn't even think of hurting Esme until long after the fact. Carlisle, he brought up but still suppressed to feed his desire to kill. Esme didn't even factor into it until later!

quote:

Perhaps, if I avoided this girl very, very carefully, there was no need for my life to change. I had things ordered the way I liked them. Why should I let some aggravating and delicious nobody ruin that?

"Aggravating and delicious nobody" is my Tinder bio.

quote:

How ironic that I’d wanted to protect this human girl from the paltry, toothless threat of Jessica Stanley’s snide thoughts. I was the last person who would ever stand as a protector for Isabella Swan. She would never need protection from anything more than she needed it from me.

Great! Leave!

quote:

Where was Alice? I suddenly wondered. Hadn’t she seen me killing the Swan girl in a multitude of ways? Why hadn’t she come to my aid—to stop me or help me clean up the evidence, whichever? Was she so absorbed with watching for trouble with Jasper that she’d missed this much more horrific possibility? Or was I stronger than I thought? Would I really not have done anything to the girl?

No. I knew that wasn’t true. Alice must be concentrating vary hard on Jasper.

You see that "vary"? That typo isn't in the original manuscript! Somehow it got added in during editing!

quote:

I searched in the direction I knew my sister would be, in the small building used for English classes. It did not take me long to locate her familiar “voice.” And I was right. Her every thought was turned to Jasper, watching his small choices with minute scrutiny.

I wished I could ask her advice, but at the same time, I was glad she didn’t know what I was capable of. I felt a new burn through my body—the burn of shame. I didn’t want any of them to know.

You've been living with Jasper this whole time and helping him get through his problems! What's stopping the family you claim to love from helping you too?

quote:

If I could avoid Bella Swan, if I could manage not to kill her—even as I thought that, the monster writhed and gnashed his teeth in frustration—then no one would have to know. If I could keep away from her scent…

There was no reason I shouldn’t try, at least. Make a good choice. Try to be what Carlisle thought I was.

With no help from anyone else if things go wrong!

quote:

The last hour of school was almost over. I decided to put my new plan into action at once. Better than sitting here in the parking lot, where she might pass me and ruin my attempt. Again, I felt the unjust hatred for the girl.

I walked swiftly—a little too swiftly, but there were no witnesses—across the tiny campus to the office.

He must look like someone walking on a moving sidewalk.

quote:

It was empty except for the receptionist, who didn’t notice my silent entrance.

“Ms. Cope?”

The woman with the unnaturally red hair looked up and startled. It always caught them off guard, the little markers they didn’t understand, no matter how many times they’d seen one of us before.

Shelly Cope was played in the first film by Trish Egan. While her IMDB is sparse, she actually has over 40 years of experience in theatre and served in the military in the 1970s and 1980s to afford to go to college due to her family's poverty. After going to college in San Antonio, she moved northwest to the University of Portland where she earned a BA in both English and Theatre in less than 5 years, graduating magna cum laude, and an MFA in Directing. Her husband, Harold Phillips, is also an actor in various low budget B-movies and TV shows.

quote:

“Oh,” she gasped, a little flustered. She smoothed her shirt. Silly, she thought to herself. He’s almost young enough to be my son. “Hello, Edward. What can I do for you?” Her eyelashes fluttered behind her thick glasses.

You'll also note that Edward's telepathy is actually very limited to things that are easy for Meyer to envision and write. He never identifies abstract emotions, songs stuck in someone's head, or concepts. It's always either plain dialogue or specific memories of the past.

quote:

Uncomfortable. But I knew how to be charming when I wanted to be. It was easy, since I was able to know instantly how any tone or gesture was taken.

I leaned forward, meeting her gaze as if I were staring deep into her flat brown eyes. Her thoughts were already in a flutter. This should be simple.

“I was wondering if you could help me with my schedule,” I said in the soft voice I reserved for not scaring humans.

So his normal voice is scary, then?

quote:

I heard the tempo of her heart increase.

“Of course, Edward. How can I help?” Too young, too young, she chanted to herself. Wrong, of course. I was older than her grandfather.

Actually you're wrong, Edward! While vampires may physically pass through time, it's established that their minds are stuck at their development when they were turned. Edward may chronologically be 104 years old, but mentally he'll always be 17. It's technically statutory rape for eternity!

quote:

“I was wondering if I could move from my Biology class to a senior-level science. Physics, perhaps?”

“It there a problem with Mr. Banner, Edward?”

“Not at all, it’s just that I’ve already studied this material.…”

“In that accelerated school you all went to in Alaska. Right.” Her thin lips pursed as she considered this. They should all be in college. I’ve heard the teachers complain. Perfect 4.0s, never a hesitation with a response, never a wrong answer on a test—like they’ve found some way to cheat in every subject. Mr. Varner would rather believe that anyone was cheating in Trig than think a student was smarter than him. I’ll bet their mother tutors them.… “Actually, Edward, Physics is pretty much full right now. Mr. Banner hates to have more than twenty-five students in a class—”

Again, not exactly keeping on the down low! Other than their mysterious disappearances, the Cullens are getting the best marks in every school they attend to such a degree that it makes the humans suspicious. Unless they're at schools that require extracurricular participation for consideration, the entire family should be top contenders for valedictorian everywhere they go. How many times can they get away with that before people start noticing how many times these same kids (who may or may not be using different names but always look identical) are appearing in high schools around the country and showing up everyone else?

quote:

“I wouldn’t be any trouble.”

Of course not. Not a perfect Cullen. “I know that, Edward. But there just aren’t enough seats as it is.…”

“Could I drop the class, then? I could use the period for independent study.”

“Drop Biology?” Her mouth fell open. That’s crazy. How hard is it to sit through a subject you already know? There must be a problem with Mr. Banner. “You won’t have enough credits to graduate.”

“I’ll catch up next year.”

“Maybe you should talk to your parents about that.”

"Your parents who are mysteriously slightly older than you."

quote:

The door opened behind me, but whoever it was did not think of me, so I ignored the arrival and concentrated on Ms. Cope. I leaned slightly closer and stared as if I was gazing more deeply into her eyes. This would work better if they were gold today instead of black. The blackness frightened people, as it should.

My miscalculation affected the woman. She flinched back, confused by her conflicting instincts.

“Please, Ms. Cope?” I murmured, my voice as smooth and compelling as it could be, and her momentary aversion eased. “Isn’t there some other section I could switch to? I’m sure there has to be an open slot somewhere? Sixth-hour Biology can’t be the only option.…”

Please stop seducing the secretary. You are 17.

quote:

I smiled at her, careful not to flash my teeth so widely that it would scare her again, letting the expression soften my face.

Why would it scare her? Your teeth are perfect and straight! You don't have fangs!

quote:

Her heart drummed faster. Too young, she reminded herself frantically. “Well, maybe I could talk to Bob—I mean Mr. Banner. I could see if—”

A second was all it took to change everything: the atmosphere in the room, my mission here, the reason I leaned toward the red-haired woman.… What had been for one purpose was now for another.

A second was all it took for Samantha Wells to enter the room, place a signed tardy slip in the basket by the door, and hurry out again, in a rush to be away from school. A sudden gust of wind through the open door crashed into me, and I realized why that first person through the door had not interrupted me with her thoughts.

If Edward doesn't find it unusual for someone to not have any thoughts when they're passing by him, that almost sounds like a direct statement that someone has to be thinking either dialogue or specific memories in order for him to pick them up. Normal surface-level thoughts, emotions, abstract concepts, etc. are blank to him.

quote:

I turned, though I did not need to make sure.

Bella Swan stood with her back pressed to the wall beside the door, a piece of paper clutched in her hands. Her eyes were even larger than before as she took in my ferocious, inhuman glare.

Is she turning into an anime character?

quote:

The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.

The monster glared back at me from the mirror of her eyes again, a mask of evil.

My hand hesitated in the air above the counter. I would not have to look back in order to reach across it and slam Ms. Cope’s head into her desk with enough force to kill her. Two lives rather than twenty. A trade.

Jesus Christ, Edward.

quote:

The monster waited anxiously, hungrily, for me to do it.

But there was always a choice—there had to be.

I cut off the motion of my lungs and fixed Carlisle’s face in front of my eyes. I turned back to face Ms. Cope and heard her internal surprise at the change in my expression. She shrank away from me, but her fear did not form into coherent words.

Using all the control I’d mastered in my decades of self-denial, I made my voice even and smooth. There was just enough air left in my lungs to speak once more, rushing through the words.

Edward is the nofap master.

quote:

“Never mind, then. I can see that it’s impossible. Thank you so much for your help.”

I spun and launched myself from the room, trying not to feel the warm-blooded heat of the girl’s body as I passed within inches of it.

I didn’t stop until I was in my car, moving too fast the entire way there. Most of the humans had cleared out already, so there weren’t a lot of witnesses. I heard a sophomore, D. J. Garrett, notice and then disregard.…

Where did Cullen come from? It was like he just came out of thin air.… There I go, with the imagination again. Mom always says…

If he wasn't lucky with his timing, he would have just done a Speedy Gonzales impersonation in front of the entire student body.

quote:

When I slid into my Volvo, the others were already there. I tried to control my breathing, but I was gasping at the fresh air as if I’d been suffocated.

“Edward?” Alice asked, alarm in her voice.

I just shook my head at her.

“What the hell happened to you?” Emmett demanded, distracted for the moment from the fact that Jasper was not in the mood for his rematch.

Emmett! You can't curse here!

quote:

Instead of answering, I threw the car into reverse. I had to get out of this lot before Bella Swan could follow me here, too. My own personal demon, tormenting me… I swung the car around and accelerated. I hit forty before I was out of the parking lot. On the road, I hit seventy before I made the corner.

Keeping a low profile.

quote:

Without looking, I knew that Emmett, Rosalie, and Jasper had all turned to stare at Alice. She shrugged. She couldn’t see what had passed, only what was coming.

She looked ahead for me now. We both processed what she saw in her head, and we were both surprised.

“You’re leaving?” she whispered.

The others stared at me now.

“Am I?” I snarled through my teeth.

She saw it then, as my resolve wavered and another choice spun my future in a darker direction.

“Oh.”

Bella Swan, dead. My eyes, glowing crimson with fresh blood. The search that would follow. The careful time we would wait before it was safe for us to pull out of Forks and start again…

This is a fun end to a school day!

quote:

“Oh,” she said again.

The picture grew more specific. I saw the inside of Chief Swan’s house for the first time, saw Bella in a small kitchen with yellow cupboards, her back to me as I stalked her from the shadows, let the scent pull me toward her.…

“Stop!” I groaned, not able to bear more.

“Sorry,” she whispered.

The monster rejoiced.

And the vision in her head shifted again. An empty highway at night, the trees beside it coated in snow, flashing by at almost two hundred miles per hour.

In case you wanted a solid idea of how fast a vampire can run! These guys are really overpowered!

quote:

“I’ll miss you,” she said. “No matter how short a time you’re gone.”

Emmett and Rosalie exchanged an apprehensive glance.

We were almost to the turnoff onto the long drive that led to our home.

“Drop us here,” Alice instructed. “You should tell Carlisle yourself.”

I nodded, and the car squealed to a sudden stop.

Emmett, Rosalie, and Jasper got out in silence; they would make Alice explain when I was gone. Alice touched my shoulder.

“You will do the right thing,” she murmured. Not a vision this time—an order. “She’s Charlie Swan’s only family. It would kill him, too.”

“Yes,” I said, agreeing only with the last part.

And Charlie doesn't deserve any of the poo poo he's going to go through!

quote:

She slid out to join the others, her eyebrows pulling together in anxiety. They melted into the woods, out of sight before I could turn the car around.

I knew the visions in Alice’s head would be flashing from dark to bright like a strobe light as I sped back to Forks doing ninety. I wasn’t sure where I was going. To say goodbye to my father? Or to embrace the monster inside me? The road flew away beneath my tires.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes, and I guess Nahuel is the only hybrid in existence who generates venom for....reasons.

I bet his scientist murder-father has skillfully deduced that venom is stored in the balls.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
my god rosalie and emmett (the best characters btw) got done dirty. this is shameful

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Up Circle posted:

my god rosalie and emmett (the best characters btw) got done dirty. this is shameful

I'll point out the exact moment we transition from the unfinished manuscript to completely new text. There's a pretty strong change between scene breaks as Meyer is clearly writing years in the future. She's still not a good writer, but you can tell her style has evolved after writing a few more books and short stories. Characterization has changed and she's putting more effort into writing things fans had stated they were interested in. There's even a scant few places where I actually liked what I was reading, which I didn't expect! In particular, we get a very deep scene between Edward and Rosalie that will probably make you like her even more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 2: Open Book

quote:

I leaned back against the soft snowbank, letting the dry powder reshape itself around my weight. My skin had cooled to match the air around me, and the tiny pieces of ice felt like velvet under my skin.

The sky above me was clear, brilliant with stars, glowing blue in some places, yellow in others. The stars created majestic, swirling shapes against the black backdrop of the empty universe—an awesome sight. Exquisitely beautiful. Or rather, it should have been exquisite. Would have been, if I’d been able to really see it.

It wasn’t getting any better. Six days had passed, six days I’d hidden here in the empty Denali wilderness, but I was no closer to freedom than I had been since the first moment I’d caught her scent.

And here's what Edward was doing when he mysteriously disappeared for a week after Bella's first day: sitting in the snow in Alaska, moping.

quote:

When I stared up at the jeweled sky, it was as if there were an obstruction between my eyes and its beauty. The obstruction was a face, just an unremarkable human face, but I couldn’t quite seem to banish it from my mind.

I heard the approaching thoughts before I heard the footsteps that accompanied them. The sound of movement was only a faint whisper against the powder.

I was not surprised that Tanya had followed me here. I knew she’d been mulling over this coming conversation for the last few days, putting it off until she was sure of exactly what she wanted to say.

And if this was the actual first book, we would have been introduced to the Denali and their relationships with the Cullens from the second chapter instead of just being brought up as asides until the end!

quote:

She sprang into sight about sixty yards away, leaping onto the tip of an outcropping of black rock and balancing there on the balls of her bare feet.

And she's just as dramatic as Edward, apparently.

quote:

Tanya’s skin was silver in the starlight, and her long blond curls shone pale, almost pink with their strawberry tint. Her amber eyes glinted as she spied me, half-buried in the snow, and her full lips stretched slowly into a smile.

Exquisite. If I’d really been able to see her. I sighed.

I don't get what Tanya sees in this kid.

quote:

She hadn’t dressed for human eyes; she wore only a thin cotton camisole and a pair of shorts. Crouching down on a promontory of stone, she touched the rock with her fingertips, and her body coiled.

Cannonball, she thought.

She launched herself into the air. Her shape became a dark, twisting shadow as she spun gracefully between the stars and me. She curled herself into a ball just as she struck the piled snowbank beside me.

A blizzard of snow flew up around me. The stars went black and I was buried deep in the feathery ice crystals.

Tanya has chronologically been on-screen for a few seconds and is already more interesting than Edward or Bella.

quote:

I sighed again, breathing in the ice, but didn’t move to unearth myself. The blackness under the snow neither hurt nor improved the view. I still saw the same face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4qRDb_uKyM

Our hero.

quote:

“Edward?”

Then snow was flying again as Tanya swiftly disinterred me. She brushed the powder from my skin, not quite meeting my gaze.

“Sorry,” she murmured. “It was a joke.”

“I know. It was funny.”

Her mouth twisted down. “Irina and Kate said I should leave you alone. They think I’m annoying you.”

“Not at all,” I assured her. “On the contrary, I’m the one who’s being rude—abominably rude. I’m very sorry.”

Holy poo poo, she's actually being given a personality!

quote:

You’re going home, aren’t you? she thought.

“I haven’t… entirely… decided that yet.”

But you’re not staying here. Her thought was wistful now.

“No. It doesn’t seem to be… helping.”

Her lips pushed out into a pout. “That’s my fault, isn’t it?”

“Of course not.” She hadn’t made anything easier, for certain, but the face that haunted me was the only true impediment.

Don’t be a gentleman.

I smiled.

I make you uncomfortable, she accused.

“No.”

She raised one eyebrow, her expression so disbelieving that I had to laugh. One short laugh, followed by another sigh.

“All right,” I admitted. “A little bit.”

She sighed, too, and put her chin in her hands.

Another minor edit here: this sentence originally had her thoughts being "chagrined." I guess Meyer finally learned how that word is used over the years.

quote:

“You’re a thousand times lovelier than the stars, Tanya. Of course, you’re already well aware of that. Don’t let my stubbornness undermine your confidence.” I chuckled at the unlikeliness of that.

“I’m not used to rejection,” she grumbled, her lower lip pushing out into an attractive pout.

“Certainly not,” I agreed, trying with little success to block out her thoughts as she fleetingly sifted through memories of her thousands of successful conquests. Mostly, Tanya preferred human men—they were much more populous for one thing, with the added advantage of being soft and warm. And always eager, definitely.

Oh, well that's nice--

quote:

“Succubus,” I teased, hoping to interrupt the images flickering in her head.

She grinned, flashing her teeth. “The original.”

Unlike Carlisle, Tanya and her sisters had discovered their consciences slowly. In the end, it was their fondness for human men that turned them against the slaughter. Now the men they loved… lived.

Aaaaand now it's ruined.

quote:

“When you showed up here,” Tanya said slowly, “I thought that…”

I’d known what she’d thought. And I should have guessed that she would feel that way. But I’d not been at my best for analytical thinking in that moment.

Or ever!

quote:

“You thought that I’d changed my mind.”

“Yes.” She scowled.

“I feel horrible for toying with your expectations, Tanya. I didn’t mean to—I wasn’t thinking. It’s just that I left in… quite a hurry.”

“I don’t suppose you’d tell me why?”

I sat up and folded my arms across my chest, my shoulders rigid. “I’d prefer not to talk about it. Please forgive my reserve.”

Seriously, there is nothing appealing about this guy except being hot and eternally young.

Also, have you noticed how Edward is supposed to have an old fashioned manner of speaking because he's from an older generation and retained all of those habits? Nobody else does that. Esme's only slightly older than him chronologically and Rosalie and Emmett slightly younger, and Alice is the exact same age, but they speak like normal modern people. Tanya is from the 11th century and Carlisle from the 17th, and all of the vampires from Breaking Dawn centuries or even millennia old, but all of them have gladly switched to modern syntax and slang.

The only explanation is that Edward is an arrogant dork.

quote:

She was quiet again, still speculating. I ignored her, trying in vain to appreciate the stars.

She gave up after a silent moment, and her thoughts pursued a new direction.

Where will you go, Edward, if you leave? Back to Carlisle?

“I don’t think so,” I whispered.

Where would I go? I could not think of one place on the entire planet that held any interest for me. There was nothing I wanted to see or do. Because no matter where I went, I would not be going to anywhere—I would only be running from.

I hated that. When had I become such a coward?

Also, most other vampires are nowhere near as miserable as Edward! Carlisle helps people instead of scoffing at how pitiful they are, everyone has hobbies and has taken advantage of immortality to learn everything possible in the world, and they seem to acknowledge that there will always be more to learn as time goes on. We really are following the least interesting two characters.

quote:

Tanya threw her slender arm around my shoulders. I stiffened but did not flinch from her touch. She meant it as nothing more than friendly comfort. Mostly.

“I think that you will go back,” she said, her voice taking on just a hint of her long-lost Russian accent. “No matter what it is… or who it is… that haunts you. You’ll face it head-on. You’re the type.”

According to the Illustrated Guide, Tanya is from Slovakia. Someone give this writer a map. Or at least a link to Wikipedia.

quote:

Her thoughts were as certain as her words. I tried to embrace the vision of myself that she saw. The one who faced things head-on. It was pleasant to think of myself that way again. I’d never doubted my courage, my ability to face difficulty, before that horrible hour in a high school Biology class such a short time ago.

That is such a loving lie.

quote:

I kissed her cheek, pulling back swiftly when she twisted her face toward mine. She smiled ruefully at my quickness.

“Thank you, Tanya. I needed to hear that.”

Her thoughts turned petulant. “You’re welcome, I guess. I wish you would be more reasonable about things, Edward.”

“I’m sorry, Tanya. You know you’re far too good for me. I just… haven’t found what I’m looking for yet.”

When Edward was preparing for his honeymoon, he asked Emmett and Jasper for sex advice. He really should have gone to the Denali!

quote:

“Well, if you leave before I see you again… goodbye, Edward.”

“Goodbye, Tanya.” As I said the words, I could see it. I could see myself leaving. Being strong enough to go back to the one place I wanted to be. “Again, thank you.”

She was on her feet in one nimble move, and then she was running away, ghosting across the snow so quickly that her feet had no time to sink in. She left no prints behind her. She didn’t look back. My rejection bothered her more than she’d let on before, even in her thoughts. She wouldn’t want to see me again before I left.

That's....you can't do that. You can't run on snow so quickly that you just ricochet off it without leaving marks.

quote:

My mouth twisted downward. I didn’t like hurting Tanya, though her feelings were not deep, hardly pure, and, in any case, not something I could return. It still made me feel less than a gentleman.

That's why he can't date Tanya. She's just a hussy!

quote:

I put my chin on my knees and stared up at the stars again, though I was suddenly anxious to be on my way. I knew that Alice would see me coming home, that she would tell the others. This would make them happy—Carlisle and Esme especially. But I gazed at the stars for one more moment, trying to see past the face in my head. Between me and the brilliant lights in the sky, a pair of bewildered chocolate-brown eyes wondered at my motives, seeming to ask what this decision would mean for her. Of course, I couldn’t be sure that was really the information her curious eyes sought. Even in my imagination, I couldn’t hear her thoughts. Bella Swan’s eyes continued to question, and an unobstructed view of the stars continued to elude me. With a heavy sigh, I gave up and got to my feet. If I ran, I would be back to Carlisle’s car in less than an hour.

In a hurry to see my family—and wanting very much to be the Edward who faced things head-on—I raced across the starlit snowfield, leaving no footprints.

You can't do that

quote:

“It’s going to be okay,” Alice breathed. Her eyes were unfocused, and Jasper had one hand lightly under her elbow, guiding her forward as we walked into the run-down cafeteria in a close-huddled group. Rosalie and Emmett led the way, Emmett looking ridiculously like a bodyguard in the middle of hostile territory. Rose looked wary, too, but much more irritated than protective.

“Of course it is,” I grumbled. Their behavior was ludicrous. If I weren’t positive that I could handle this moment, I would have stayed home.

The sudden shift from our normal, even playful morning—it had snowed in the night, and Emmett and Jasper were not above taking advantage of my distraction to bombard me with slushballs; when they got bored with my lack of response, they’d turned on each other—to this overdone vigilance would have been comical if it weren’t so irritating.

See, this is the loving Emmett and Jasper I want! Two bros just screwing around and bullying Edward!

quote:

“She’s not here yet, but the way she’s going to come in… she won’t be downwind if we sit in our regular spot.”

Of course we’ll sit in our regular spot. Stop it, Alice. You’re getting on my nerves. I’ll be absolutely fine.”

God, shut up.

quote:

She blinked once as Jasper helped her into her seat, and her eyes finally focused on my face.

“Hmm,” she said, sounding surprised. “I think you’re right.”

Of course I am,” I muttered.

You just spent 6 days straight lying in a snowbank because of how much you couldn't handle this issue.

quote:

I hated being the focus of their concern. I felt a sudden sympathy for Jasper, remembering all the times we’d hovered protectively over him. He met my glance briefly, and grinned.

Annoying, isn’t it?

I glowered at him.

This book is giving so much more personality to the Cullens and it just makes Edward look so terrible by comparison.

quote:

Was it just last week that this long, drab room had seemed so killingly dull to me? That it had seemed almost like sleep, like a coma, to be here?

Today my nerves were stretched tight—piano wires, tensed to sing at the lightest pressure. My senses were hyperalert; I scanned every sound, every sight, every movement of the air that touched my skin, every thought. Especially the thoughts. There was only one sense that I kept locked down, refused to use. Smell, of course. I didn’t breathe.

I was expecting to hear more about the Cullens in the thoughts that I sifted through. All day I’d been waiting, searching for whichever new acquaintance Bella Swan might have confided in, trying to see the direction the new gossip would take. But there was nothing. No one particularly noticed the five vampires in the cafeteria, just as before the girl had come. Several of the humans here were still thinking of her, still thinking the same thoughts from last week. Instead of finding this unutterably boring, I was now fascinated.

It's been a week and they're still fawning over the new girl like she's an alien?

quote:

Had she said nothing to anyone about me? There was no way that she had not noticed my black, murderous glare. I had seen her react to it. Surely, I’d traumatized her. I was convinced that she would have mentioned it to someone, maybe even have exaggerated the story a bit to make it better. Given me a few menacing lines.

And then she’d also heard me trying to get out of our shared Biology class. She must have wondered, after seeing my expression, whether she was the cause. A normal girl would have asked around, compared her experience to others’, looked for common ground that would explain my behavior so she didn’t feel singled out. Humans were constantly desperate to feel normal, to fit in. To blend in with everyone else around them, like a featureless flock of sheep. The need was particularly strong during the insecure adolescent years. This girl would be no exception to that rule.

But no one at all took notice of us sitting here, at our usual table. Bella must be exceptionally shy if she’d hadn’t confided in anyone. Perhaps she had spoken to her father; maybe that was the strongest relationship… though that seemed unlikely, given that she had spent so little time with him throughout her life. She would be closer to her mother. Still, I would have to pass by Chief Swan sometime soon and listen to what he was thinking.

Ah yes, the sheeple, with their annoying and primitive habit of "asking if that guy is always this weird."

quote:

“Anything new?” Jasper asked.

I concentrated, allowing all the swarms of thoughts to invade my mind again. There wasn’t anything that stood out; no one was thinking of us. Despite my earlier worries, it didn’t seem that there was anything wrong with my abilities, aside from the silent girl. I’d shared my concerns with Carlisle upon my return, but he’d only ever heard of talents growing stronger with practice. Never did they atrophy.

Jasper waited impatiently.

“Nothing. She… must not have said anything.”

All of them raised eyebrows at this news.

“Maybe you’re not as scary as you think you are,” Emmett said, chuckling. “I bet I could have frightened her better than that.”

I'm taking this as canon that nobody finds Edward nearly as scary as he thinks he is.

quote:

I rolled my eyes at him.

“Wonder why…?” He puzzled again over my revelation about the girl’s unique silence.

“We’ve been over that. I don’t know.”

“She’s coming in,” Alice murmured then. My body froze. “Try to look human.”

“Human, you say?” Emmett asked. He held up his right fist, twisting his fingers to reveal the snowball he’d saved in his palm. It had not melted there; he’d squeezed it into a lumpy block of ice. He had his eyes on Jasper, but I saw the direction of his thoughts. So did Alice, of course. When he abruptly hurled the ice chunk at her, she flicked it away with a casual flutter of her fingers. The ice ricocheted across the length of the cafeteria, too fast to be visible to human eyes, and shattered with a sharp crack against the brick wall. The brick cracked, too.

The heads in that corner of the room all turned to stare at the pile of broken ice on the floor, and then swiveled to find the culprit. They didn’t look farther than a few tables away. No one looked at us.

As hilarious as this is, there's no indication that this happened in the original book. Bella doesn't notice anything but the Cullens sitting at their table again.

quote:

“Very human, Emmett,” Rosalie said scathingly. “Why don’t you punch through the wall while you’re at it?”

“It would look more impressive if you did it, gorgeous.”

Do it! Do it!

quote:

I tried to pay attention to them, keeping a grin fixed on my face as though I were part of their banter. I did not allow myself to look toward the line where I knew she was standing. But that was all I was listening to.

I could hear Jessica’s impatience with the new girl, who seemed to be distracted, too, standing motionless in the moving line. I saw, in Jessica’s thoughts, that Bella Swan’s cheeks were once more colored bright pink with blood.

I pulled in a few short, shallow breaths, ready to quit breathing if any hint of her scent touched the air near me.

No, come back to the rest of the family! They're so much more fun!

quote:

Mike Newton was with the two girls. I heard both his voices, mental and verbal, when he asked Jessica what was wrong with the Swan girl. It was distasteful the way his thoughts wrapped around her, the flicker of already established fantasies that clouded his mind while he watched her start and look up from her reverie as though she’d forgotten he was there.

Edward is just having Mike's threesome fantasies blasted in his brain non-stop.

quote:

“Nothing,” I heard Bella say in that quiet, clear voice. It seemed to ring like a struck bell over the babble in the cafeteria, but I knew that was just because I was listening for it so intently.

“I’ll just get a soda today,” she continued as she moved to catch up with the line.

I couldn’t help flickering one glance in her direction. She was staring at the floor, the blood slowly fading from her face. I looked away quickly, to Emmett, who laughed at the now pained-looking smile on my face.

You look sick, brother mine.

I rearranged my features so the expression would seem casual and effortless.

I will never get tired of them making GBS threads on Edward.

quote:

Jessica was wondering aloud about the girl’s lack of appetite. “Aren’t you hungry?”

“Actually, I feel a little sick.” Her voice was lower, but still very clear.

Why did it bother me, the protective concern that suddenly emanated from Mike Newton’s thoughts? What did it matter that there was a possessive edge to them? It wasn’t my business if Mike Newton felt unnecessarily anxious for her. Perhaps this was the way everyone responded to her. Hadn’t I wanted, instinctively, to protect her, too? Before I’d wanted to kill her, that is…

But was the girl ill? It was hard to judge—she looked so delicate with her translucent skin.… Then I realized that I was worrying, just like that dimwitted boy, and I forced myself not to think about her health.

This guy's obsession with hating Mike Newton is a little weird, not gonna lie.

quote:

Regardless, I didn’t like monitoring her through Mike’s thoughts. I switched to Jessica’s, watching carefully as the three of them chose which table to sit at. Fortunately, they sat with Jessica’s usual companions, at one of the first tables in the room. Not downwind, just as Alice had promised.

Alice elbowed me. She’s going to look soon. Act human.

I clenched my teeth behind my grin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxpIwQoaMX4

quote:

“Ease up, Edward,” Emmett said. “Honestly. So you kill one human. That’s hardly the end of the world.”

“You would know,” I murmured.

Emmett laughed. “You’ve got to learn to get over things. Like I do. Eternity is a long time to wallow in guilt.”

Emmett, please, I'm trying to like you.

quote:

Just then, Alice tossed a smaller handful of ice that she’d been hiding into Emmett’s unsuspecting face.

He blinked, surprised, and then grinned in anticipation.

“You asked for it,” he said as he leaned across the table and shook his ice-encrusted hair in her direction. The snow, melting in the warm room, flew out from his hair in a thick shower of half liquid, half ice.

“Ew!” Rose complained as she and Alice recoiled from the deluge.

Alice laughed, and we all joined in. I could see in Alice’s head how she’d orchestrated this perfect moment, and I knew that the girl—I should stop thinking of her that way, as if she were the only girl in the world—that Bella would be watching us laugh and play, looking as happy and human and unrealistically ideal as a Norman Rockwell painting.

This would make me very uneasy about associating with Alice. You'd never know how much of her behavior is natural and what's meant to manipulate you for her plans.

quote:

Alice kept laughing and held her tray up as a shield. The girl—Bella—must still be staring at us.

… staring at the Cullens again, someone thought, catching my attention.

I looked automatically toward the unintentional call, easily recognizing the voice as my eyes found their destination—I’d been listening to it so much today.

But my eyes slid right past Jessica and focused on the girl’s penetrating gaze.

She looked down quickly, hiding behind her thick hair again.

What was she thinking? The frustration seemed to be getting more acute as time went on, rather than dulling. I tried—uncertain, for I’d never done this before—to probe with my mind at the silence around her. My extra hearing had always come to me naturally, without asking; I’d never had to work at it. But I concentrated now, trying to break through whatever armor surrounded her.

Nothing but silence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That Midnight Sun looks like the sort of thing you'd link as NSFW, or maybe the insides of pomegranates are inherently freudian.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Reading his endless internal monologue is almost as boring as reading Bella's, and I think I figured out part of the reason why. Everything is in the moment. He describes what's currently happening and what he currently sees, and doesn't plan more than a few hours ahead in the future.

This is not how people operate! We're constantly referring to things in the past to make sense of the here and now. It's part of what makes us intelligent and adaptable. "Wow, I can't stand her, what should I do? Well I remember what happened with Jane Smith a few years ago, that didn't go well. Maybe this girl will react more like John Doe, she seems like she has some of his personality, although that time in the Bahamas was a really dark period of my life. I wonder how Anne is doing now that I'm gone? Oh right, this girl. Well how did I react the last time I was tempted? Remember the day I decided not to kill anymore? I was standing there in the alleyway thinking about what..." And so on.

Maybe the idea is that vampires only think in the present and don't really deal with their past memories and emotions (an interesting idea, seeing as they're predators). But Bella's inner monologue wasn't much different, except to refer back to Phoenix every once in a while.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe they can't form long term memories. Nothing but tats and polaroids.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

What is it about her? Jessica thought, echoing my own irritation.

“Edward Cullen is staring at you,” she whispered in the Swan girl’s ear, adding a giggle. There was no hint of her jealous annoyance in her tone. Jessica seemed to be skilled at feigning friendship.

Our girl got done dirty!

I can't believe we got such a sudden shift in perspective here, with no warning. Was Meyer always intending for us to think Jessica was a conniving bitch, or is this her reaction to fans taking her side in everything and wondering why Bella seemed to never spend any time with her human "friends"?

quote:

I listened, too engrossed, to the girl’s response.

“He doesn’t look angry, does he?” she whispered back.

So she had noticed my wild reaction last week. Of course she had.

The question confused Jessica. I saw my own face in her thoughts as she checked my expression, but I did not meet her glance. I was still concentrating on the girl, trying to hear something. Intent focus didn’t seem to help at all.

“No,” Jess told her, and I knew that she wished she could say yes—how it rankled her, my staring—though there was no trace of that in her voice. “Should he be?”

“I don’t think he likes me,” the girl whispered back, laying her head down on her arm as if she were suddenly tired. I tried to understand the motion, but I could only make guesses. Maybe she was tired.

Two medical degrees, constantly observing humans and hearing their thoughts, can't recognize body language to save his life.

quote:

“The Cullens don’t like anybody,” Jess reassured her. “Well, they don’t notice anybody enough to like them.” They never used to. Her thought was a grumble of complaint. “But he’s still staring at you.”

“Stop looking at him,” the girl said anxiously, lifting her head from her arm to make sure Jessica obeyed the order.

Jessica giggled, but did as she was asked.

The girl did not look away from her table for the rest of the hour. I thought—though, of course, I could not be sure—that this was deliberate. It seemed as though she wanted to look at me. Her body would shift slightly in my direction, her chin would begin to turn, and then she would catch herself, take a deep breath, and stare fixedly at whoever was speaking.

I ignored the other thoughts around the girl for the most part, as they were not, momentarily, about her. Mike Newton was planning a snowball fight in the parking lot after school, not seeming to realize that the snow had already shifted to rain. The flutter of soft flakes against the roof had become the more common patter of raindrops. Could he really not hear the change? It seemed loud to me.

Pathetic Mike Newton, and his ears.

quote:

When the lunch period ended, I stayed in my seat. The humans filed out, and I caught myself trying to distinguish the sound of her footsteps from the rest, as if there were something important or unusual about them. How stupid.

My family made no move to leave, either. They waited to see what I would do. Would I go to class, sit beside the girl, where I could smell the absurdly potent scent of her blood and feel the warmth of her pulse in the air on my skin? Was I strong enough for that? Or had I had enough for one day?

All of his siblings looking at him and trying to figure out why he can't just make faces like a normal person.

quote:

As a family, we’d already discussed this moment from every possible angle. Carlisle disapproved of the risk, but he wouldn’t impose his will on mine. Jasper disapproved nearly as much, but from fear of exposure rather than any concern for humankind. Rosalie only worried about how it would affect her life. Alice saw so many obscure, conflicting futures that her visions were atypically unhelpful. Esme thought I could do no wrong. And Emmett just wanted to compare stories about his own experiences with particularly appealing scents. He pulled Jasper into his reminiscing, though Jasper’s history with self-control was so short and so uneven that he was unable to be sure he’d ever had an analogous struggle. Emmett, on the other hand, remembered two such incidents. His memories of them were not encouraging. But he’d been younger then, not as adept at self-control. Surely, I was stronger than that.

So there's confirmation: Emmett has two bodies on his count.

quote:

“I… think it’s okay,” Alice said, hesitant. “Your mind is set. I think you’ll make it through the hour.” But Alice knew well how quickly a mind could change.

“Why push it, Edward?” Jasper asked. Though he didn’t want to feel smug that I was the weak one now, I could hear that he did, just a little. “Go home. Take it slow.”

“What’s the big deal?” Emmett disagreed. “Either he will or he won’t kill her. Might as well get it over with, either way.”

“I don’t want to move yet,” Rosalie complained. “I don’t want to start over. We’re almost out of high school, Emmett. Finally.”

You're 18 and look like a supermodel, Rosalie. You can spend a decade or two pretending to be an adult.

quote:

I was evenly torn on the decision. I wanted, wanted badly, to face this head-on rather than running away again. But I didn’t want to push myself too far, either. It had been a mistake last week for Jasper to go so long without hunting; was this just as pointless a mistake?

I didn’t want to uproot my family. None of them would thank me for that.

But I wanted to go to my Biology class. I realized that I wanted to see her face again.

That’s what decided it for me. That curiosity. I was angry with myself for feeling it. Hadn’t I promised myself that I wouldn’t let the silence of the girl’s mind make me unduly interested in her? And yet, here I was, most unduly interested.

I wanted to know what she was thinking. Her mind was closed, but her eyes were very open. Perhaps I could read them instead.

Edward. That's not how that works, Edward.

quote:

“No, Rose, I think it really will be okay,” Alice said. “It’s… firming up. I’m ninety-three percent sure that nothing bad will happen if he goes to class.” She looked at me, inquisitive, wondering what had changed in my thoughts that made her vision of the future more secure.

Would curiosity be enough to keep Bella Swan alive?

Emmett was right, though—why not get it over with, either way? I would face the temptation head-on.

And ram your head through the wall if it fails!

quote:

“Go to class,” I ordered, pushing away from the table. I turned and strode away from them without looking back. I could hear Alice’s worry, Jasper’s censure, Emmett’s approval, and Rosalie’s irritation trailing after me.

I took one last deep breath at the door of the classroom, and then held it in my lungs as I walked into the small, warm space.

I was not late. Mr. Banner was still setting up for today’s lab. The girl sat at my—at our table, her face down again, staring at the folder she was doodling on. I examined the sketch as I approached, interested in even this trivial creation of her mind, but it was meaningless. Just a random scribbling of loops within loops. Perhaps she was not concentrating on the pattern, but thinking of something else?

He has no concern with the petty and trivial! Except wondering why a human would mindlessly scribble!

quote:

I pulled my chair back with unnecessary roughness, letting it scrape across the linoleum—humans always felt more comfortable when noise announced someone’s approach.

I knew she heard the sound; she did not look up, but her hand missed a loop in the design she was drawing, making it unbalanced.

Why didn’t she look up? Probably she was frightened. I must be sure to leave her with a different impression this time. Make her think she’d been imagining things before.

So your first positive interaction with her is gaslighting.

quote:

“Hello,” I said in the quiet voice I used when I wanted to make humans more comfortable, forming a polite smile with my lips that would not show any teeth.

Again with this whole "I have faces and voices specifically for not scaring humans" thing. No other vampire does that! Is he delusional, or is his natural state really just that terrible that he has to specifically try to not come off like a psychopath during normal interaction?

quote:

She looked up then, her wide brown eyes startled and full of silent questions. It was the same expression that had been obstructing my vision for the past week.

As I stared into those oddly deep brown eyes—the color was like milk chocolate, but the clarity was more comparable to strong tea, there was a depth and transparency; near her pupils, there were tiny flecks of agate green and golden caramel—I realized that my hate, the hate I’d imagined this girl somehow deserved for simply existing, had evaporated. Not breathing now, not tasting her scent, I found it hard to believe that anyone so vulnerable could ever be deserving of hatred.

Count yourself lucky you can't hear her thoughts then!

quote:

Her cheeks began to flush, and she said nothing.

I kept my eyes on hers, focusing only on their questioning depths, and tried to ignore the appetizing color of her skin. I had enough breath to speak for a while longer without inhaling.

“My name is Edward Cullen,” I said, though she already knew it. It was the polite way to begin. “I didn’t have a chance to introduce myself last week. You must be Bella Swan.”

She seemed confused—there was that little pucker between her eyes again. It took her half a second longer than it should have to respond.

“How do you know my name?” she demanded, and her voice shook just a little. I must have truly terrified her, and this made me feel guilty.

I laughed gently—it was a sound that I knew made humans more at ease.

You know this! Vampires are capable of laughing!

Seriously, this is coming off less as "Vampires are so alien and unlike us, how can we ever be compatible?" and more "Edward just gave up loving everything about humanity on the spot when he got turned."

quote:

“Oh, I think everyone knows your name.” Surely, she must have realized that she’d become the center of attention in this monotonous place. “The whole town’s been waiting for you to arrive.”

She frowned as if this information was unpleasant. I supposed, being shy as she appeared to be, attention would seem like a bad thing to her. Most humans felt the opposite. Though they didn’t want to stand out from the herd, at the same time they craved a spotlight for their individual uniformity.

Shut up, dork.

quote:

“No,” she said. “I meant, why did you call me Bella?”

“Do you prefer Isabella?” I asked, perplexed that I couldn’t see where this question was leading. I didn’t understand. She’d made her preference clear many times that first day. Were all humans this incomprehensible without the mental context as a guide? How much I must rely on that extra sense. Would I be completely blind without it?

So, here's my theory: Edward has spent so long completely reliant on his telepathy to understand everyone's intentions that over the decades he's lost all memory of body language, tone, context, etc.

quote:

“No, I like Bella,” she answered, leaning her head slightly to one side. Her expression—if I was reading it correctly—was torn between embarrassment and confusion. “But I think Charlie—I mean my dad—must call me Isabella behind my back. That’s what everyone here seems to know me as.” Her skin darkened one shade pinker.

“Oh,” I said, and quickly looked away from her face.

I’d just realized what her questions meant: I had slipped up—made an error. If I hadn’t been eavesdropping on all the others that first day, then I would have addressed her initially by her full name. She’d noticed the difference.

Would he, though? Everyone else has been calling her Bella. If she really was as incredibly interesting to this town as he claims (which is doubtful, as I pointed out in the first book), he would have heard her being called "Bella" by everyone after she initially corrected them over the first week.

quote:

I felt a pang of unease. It was very quick of her to pick up on my slip. Quite astute, especially for someone who was supposed to be terrified by my proximity.

But I had bigger problems than whatever suspicions about me she might be keeping locked inside her head.

I was out of air. If I were going to speak to her again, I would have to inhale.

It would be hard to avoid speaking. Unfortunately for her, sharing this table made her my lab partner, and we would have to work together today. It would seem odd—and incomprehensibly rude—for me to ignore her while we did the lab. It would make her more suspicious, more afraid.

So I'm sure you have a very non-suspicious method of dealing with that, right?

quote:

I leaned as far away from her as I could without moving my seat, twisting my head out into the aisle. I braced myself, locking my muscles in place, and then sucked in one quick chestful of air, breathing through my mouth alone.

Ahh!

It was intensely painful, like swallowing burning coals. Even without smelling her, I could taste her on my tongue. The craving was every bit as strong as that first moment I’d caught her scent last week.

I gritted my teeth and tried to compose myself.

Ah, no. He's just going to Tay Zonday this and lean into the aisle to take a breath every time.

quote:

“Get started,” Mr. Banner commanded.

It took every single ounce of self-control I’d achieved in seventy-four years of hard work to turn back to the girl, who was staring down at the table, and smile.

“Ladies first, partner?” I offered.

She looked up at my expression and her face went blank. Was there something off? In her eyes, I saw the reflection of my usual human-friendly composition of features. The facade looked perfect. Was she frightened again? She didn’t speak.

“Or, I could start, if you wish,” I said quietly.

“No,” she said, and her face went from white to red again. “I’ll go ahead.”

I hope you guys like secondhand embarrassment, because that's what this book is all about!

quote:

I stared at the equipment on the table—the battered microscope, the box of slides—rather than watch the blood wax and wane under her clear skin. I took another quick breath, through my teeth, and winced as the taste scorched the inside of my throat.

“Prophase,” she said after a quick examination. She started to remove the slide, though she’d barely examined it.

“Do you mind if I look?” Instinctively—stupidly, as if I were one of her kind—I reached out to stop her hand from removing the slide. For one second, the heat of her skin burned into mine. It was like an electric pulse—the heat shot through my fingers and up my arm. She yanked her hand out from under mine.

Bella felt the exact same "electric current" from her perspective. I'm guessing that's the Mormon Connection rather than one of them picking up static electricity from all the flannel they're wearing.

quote:

“I’m sorry,” I muttered. Needing somewhere to look, I grasped the microscope and stared briefly into the eyepiece. She was right.

“Prophase,” I agreed.

I was still too unsettled to look at her. Breathing as quietly as I could through my gritted teeth and trying to ignore the fiery thirst, I concentrated on the simple assignment, writing the word on the appropriate line on the lab sheet and then switching out the first slide for the next.

What was she thinking now? What had it felt like to her when I had touched her hand? My skin must have been ice-cold—repulsive. No wonder she was so quiet.

There's a reason this book is twice as long as the original, and it's pretty much just Edward being overdramatic.

quote:

I glanced at the slide.

“Anaphase,” I said to myself as I wrote it on the second line.

“May I?” she asked.

I looked up, surprised to see that she was waiting expectantly, one hand half-stretched toward the microscope. She didn’t look afraid. Did she really think I’d gotten the answer wrong?

I couldn’t help but smile at the hopeful expression on her face as I slid the microscope toward her.

She stared into the eyepiece with an eagerness that quickly faded. The corners of her mouth turned down.

Bella is getting so competitive with the weird kid that she isn't even noticing anything she's "supposed" to be afraid of.

quote:

“Slide three?” she asked, not looking up from the microscope, but holding out her hand. I dropped the next slide into her palm, keeping my skin far from hers this time. Sitting beside her was like sitting next to a heat lamp. I could feel myself warming slightly to the higher temperature.

She did not look at the slide for long. “Interphase,” she said nonchalantly—perhaps trying a little too hard to sound that way—and pushed the microscope toward me. She did not touch the paper, but waited for me to write the answer. I checked—she was correct again.

We finished this way, speaking one word at a time and never meeting each other’s eyes. We were the only ones done—the others in the class were having a harder time with the lab. Mike Newton seemed to be having trouble concentrating; he was trying to watch Bella and me.

Wish he’d stayed wherever he went, Mike thought, eyeing me sulfurously. Interesting. I hadn’t realized the boy harbored any specific ill will toward me. This was a new development, about as recent as the girl’s arrival, it seemed. Even more interestingly, I found—to my surprise—that the feeling was mutual.

Of course, the first book showed Mike having no particular ill will toward Edward any more than the rest of the school thought they were weird. His transformation into a creep was after the fact.

quote:

I looked down at the girl again, bemused by the vast range of havoc and upheaval that, despite her ordinary, unthreatening appearance, she was wreaking on my life.

It wasn’t that I couldn’t see what Mike was going on about. She was actually sort of pretty for a human, in an unusual way. Better than being beautiful, her face was… unexpected. Not quite symmetrical—her narrow chin out of balance with her wide cheekbones; extreme in the coloring—the contrast of her light skin and dark hair; and then there were the eyes, too big for her face, brimming over with silent secrets.…

The "for a human" is another addition to the final version of the book. I'm not sure why. And yes, this does still resemble Stephenie Meyer a lot!

quote:

Eyes that were suddenly boring into mine.

I stared back at her, trying to guess even one of those secrets.

“Did you get contacts?” she asked abruptly.

What a strange question. “No.” I almost smiled at the idea of improving my eyesight.

Oh my God, he forgot colored contacts existed.

quote:

“Oh,” she mumbled. “I thought there was something different about your eyes.”

I felt suddenly colder again as I realized that I was not the only one attempting to ferret out secrets today.

I shrugged, my shoulders stiff, and glared straight ahead to where the teacher was making his rounds.

Of course there was something different about my eyes since the last time she’d stared into them. To prepare myself for today’s ordeal, today’s temptation, I’d spent the entire weekend hunting, satiating my thirst as much as possible, overdoing it, really. I’d glutted myself on the blood of animals, not that it made much difference in the face of the outrageous flavor floating on the air around her. When I’d glared at her last, my eyes had been black with thirst. Now, my body swimming with blood, my eyes were a warm gold—light amber.

Another slip. If I’d seen what she meant with her question, I could have just told her yes.

Super smart vampire brain.

quote:

I’d sat beside humans for two years now at this school, and she was the first to examine me closely enough to note the change in my eye color. The others, while admiring the beauty of my family, tended to look down quickly when we returned their stares. They shied away, blocking the details of our appearances in an instinctive endeavor to keep themselves from understanding. Ignorance was bliss to the human mind.

It's been pretty apparent that everyone stares at you guys a lot!

quote:

Why did it have to be this girl who would see too much?

Mr. Banner approached our table. I gratefully inhaled the gush of clean air he brought with him before it could mix with her scent.

But wouldn't he still smell like a human and make you hungry?

quote:

“So, Edward,” he said, looking over our answers, “didn’t you think Isabella should get a chance with the microscope?”

“Bella,” I corrected him reflexively. “Actually, she identified three of the five.”

Mr. Banner’s thoughts were skeptical as he turned to look at the girl. “Have you done this lab before?”

I watched, engrossed, as she smiled, looking slightly embarrassed.

“Not with onion root.”

“Whitefish blastula?” Mr. Banner probed.

“Yeah.”

This surprised him. Today’s lab was something he’d pulled from a senior-class course. He nodded thoughtfully at the girl. “Were you in an advanced placement program in Phoenix?”

“Yes.”

She was advanced, then, intelligent for a human. This did not surprise me.

I can assure you from past experience, being in an AP program is not a sign of intelligence.

quote:

“Well,” Mr. Banner said, pursing his lips, “I guess it’s good you two are lab partners.” He turned and walked away, mumbling “So the other kids can get a chance to learn something for themselves” under his breath. I doubted the girl could hear that. She began scrawling loops across her folder again.

Two slips so far in one half hour. An extremely poor showing on my part. Though I had no idea at all what the girl thought of me—how much did she fear, how much did she suspect?—I knew I needed to put forth a better effort to leave her with a new impression. Something to quell her memories of our ferocious last encounter.

“It’s too bad about the snow, isn’t it?” I said, repeating the small talk that I’d heard a dozen students discuss already. A boring, standard topic of conversation. The weather—always safe.

She stared at me with obvious doubt in her eyes—an abnormal reaction to my very normal words. “Not really.”

Going back to the first book, Bella immediately identified that he was faking small talk.

quote:

I tried to steer the conversation back to trite paths. She was from a much brighter, warmer place—her skin seemed to reflect that somehow, despite its fairness—and the cold must make her uncomfortable. My icy touch certainly had.

“You don’t like the cold,” I guessed.

“Or the wet,” she agreed.

Ben Shapiro's ears perk up.

quote:

“Forks must be a difficult place for you to live.” Perhaps you should not have come here, I wanted to add. Perhaps you should go back where you belong.

I wasn’t sure I wanted that, though. I would always remember the scent of her blood—was there any guarantee that I wouldn’t eventually follow her? Besides, if she left, her mind would forever remain a mystery, a constant, nagging puzzle.

"Unlike all of the other people I know who displayed special powers as humans."

quote:

“You have no idea,” she said in a low voice, glowering past me for a moment.

Her answers were never what I expected. They made me want to ask more questions.

“Why did you come here, then?” I demanded, realizing instantly that my tone was too accusatory, not casual enough for the conversation. The question sounded rude, prying.

“It’s… complicated.”

She blinked, leaving it at that, and I nearly imploded out of curiosity—in that second, it burned almost as hot as the thirst in my throat. Actually, I found that it was getting slightly easier to breathe; the agony was becoming a tiny bit more bearable through familiarity.

“I think I can keep up,” I insisted. Perhaps common courtesy would compel her to answer my questions as long as I was impolite enough to ask them.

She stared down silently at her hands. This made me impatient. I wanted to put my hand under her chin and tilt her head up so that I could read her eyes. But of course I could never touch her skin again.

How about you not do that, dipshit?

quote:

She looked up suddenly. It was a relief to be able to see the emotions in her eyes. She spoke in a rush, hurrying through the words.

“My mother got remarried.”

Ah, this was human enough, easy to understand. Sorrow flitted across her face, bringing the small pucker back between her brows.

You huuuuumans and your emooooootions.

quote:

“That doesn’t sound so complex,” I said, my voice gentle without my working to make it that way. Her dejection left me oddly helpless, wishing there was something I could do to make her feel better. A strange impulse. “When did that happen?”

“Last September.” She exhaled heavily—not quite a sigh. I froze for a moment as her warm breath brushed my face.

“And you don’t like him,” I guessed after that short pause, still fishing for more information.

“No, Phil is fine,” she said, correcting my assumption. There was a hint of a smile now around the corners of her full lips. “Too young, maybe, but nice enough.”

This didn’t fit with the scenario I’d been constructing in my head.

Which you haven't even told us about, but go ahead.

quote:

“Why didn’t you stay with them?” My voice was too eager; it sounded like I was being nosy. Which I was, admittedly.

“Phil travels a lot. He plays ball for a living.” The little smile grew more pronounced; this career choice amused her.

I smiled, too, without choosing the expression. I wasn’t trying to make her feel at ease. Her smile just made me want to smile in response—to be in on the secret.

Gasp! A true emotion! Only true love can cause this!

quote:

“Have I heard of him?” I ran through the rosters of professional ballplayers in my head, wondering which Phil was hers.

“Probably not. He doesn’t play well.” Another smile. “Strictly minor league. He moves around a lot.”

The rosters in my head shifted instantly, and I’d tabulated a list of possibilities in less than a second. At the same time, I was imagining the new scenario.

Did Edward...memorize every baseball player in America?

quote:

“And your mother sent you here so that she could travel with him,” I said. Making assumptions seemed to get more information out of her than questions did. It worked again. Her chin jutted out, and her expression was suddenly stubborn.

This is like Breaking Dawn where every person who walks up to the Volturi all make the same "raised chin, looking down their nose in contempt" expression to show that they were being proud and honest. I really don't think Meyer knows any other body language to show that.

quote:

“No, she did not send me here,” she said, and her voice had a new, hard edge to it. My assumption had upset her, though I couldn’t quite see how. “I sent myself.”

I could not guess at her meaning, or the source behind her pique. I was entirely lost.

There was just no making sense of the girl. She wasn’t like other humans. Maybe the silence of her thoughts and the perfume of her scent were not the only unusual things about her.

Come the gently caress on. In almost 90 years of undeath, you've never once encountered a girl who was this ordinary?

quote:

“I don’t understand,” I admitted, hating to concede.

She sighed and stared into my eyes for longer than most normal humans were able to stand.

He keeps insisting all of these things about vampires and none of them turn out to be true in practice. Is he doing a loving Nosferatu face at anyone who looks at him?

quote:

“She stayed with me at first, but she missed him,” Bella explained slowly, her tone growing more forlorn with each word. “It made her unhappy… so I decided it was time to spend some quality time with Charlie.”

The tiny pucker between her eyes deepened.

“But now you’re unhappy,” I murmured. I kept speaking my hypotheses aloud, hoping to learn from her refutations. This one, however, did not seem as far off the mark.

“And?” she said, as if this was not even an aspect to be considered.

I continued to stare into her eyes, feeling that I’d finally gotten my first real glimpse into her soul. I saw in that one word where she ranked herself among her own priorities. Unlike most humans, her own needs were far down the list.

She was selfless.

And right here, we encounter the problem with going from Twilight to Midnight Sun.

Obviously a massive violation of the "show, don't tell" rule, but think about Bella if you only know about her from this point of view. She's quiet, shy, relatively intelligent, and trying to get along with people in her new town to the best of her abilities without knowing most of them secretly can't stand the attention she's getting. It's fairly believable that she could be portrayed as a selfless person always willing to sacrifice herself and her own happiness for others.

You come here from the other books, it's loving laughable. If you didn't have Edward outright telling us the author's intention, it would be impossible to tell. She's "selflessly" spent the entire time groaning about how terrible her life is, treating her parents like small children, and begrudgingly accepting kindness from people on her first day of school. And that's just two chapters in! We're not even at her becoming so selfish as to willingly give up everything about her humanity and all of her human relationships to stay with Edward, or manipulating Jacob and others into feeding her harmful impulses. Her "selflessness" becomes expressed purely in the form of a crazy desire to throw her life away over and over, whether or not it makes sense at the time, and eventually devolves into trying to drag all of her loved ones along with her.

That's another reason I hope Meyer sticks to her guns and never rewrites the other books from Edward's perspective. Hearing Edward straight up tell the reader that Bella's supposed to be a selfless paragon at this point is bad writing but not divorced from reality. The justifications we'd need in the future would be too much to handle.

quote:

As I saw this, the mystery of the person hiding inside this quiet mind began to clear a little.

“That doesn’t seem fair,” I said. I shrugged, trying to seem casual.

She laughed, but there was no amusement in the sound. “Hasn’t anyone ever told you? Life isn’t fair.”

I wanted to laugh at her words, though I, too, felt no real amusement. I knew a little something about the unfairness of life. “I believe I have heard that somewhere before.”

It's like reading an overly detailed screenplay with every intended emotion for each line spelled out.

quote:

She stared back at me, seeming confused again. Her eyes flickered away, and then came back to mine.

“So that’s all,” she told me.

I was not ready to let this conversation end. The little v between her eyes, a remnant of her sorrow, bothered me.

“You put on a good show.” I spoke slowly, still considering this next hypothesis. “But I’d be willing to bet that you’re suffering more than you let anyone see.”

She made a face, her eyes narrowing and her mouth twisting into a lopsided frown, and she looked back toward the front of the class. She didn’t like it when I guessed right. She wasn’t the average martyr—she didn’t want an audience for her pain.

Breaking Dawn says what?

quote:

“Am I wrong?”

She flinched slightly, but otherwise pretended not to hear me.

That made me smile. “I didn’t think so.”

“Why does it matter to you?” she demanded, still staring away.

“That’s a very good question,” I admitted, more to myself than to her.

Her discernment was better than mine—she saw right to the core of things while I floundered around the edges, sifting blindly through clues. The details of her very human life should not matter to me. It was wrong for me to care what she thought. Beyond protecting my family from suspicion, human thoughts were not significant.

And yours are?

quote:

I was not used to being the less intuitive of any pairing. I relied on my extra hearing too much—I clearly was not as perceptive as I gave myself credit for.

The girl sighed and glowered toward the front of the classroom. Something about her frustrated expression was humorous. The whole situation, the whole conversation, was humorous. No one had ever been in more danger from me than this small human girl—at any moment I might, distracted by my ridiculous absorption in the conversation, inhale through my nose and attack her before I could stop myself—and she was irritated because I hadn’t answered her question.

Hilarious! At any moment he could kill her and every other person in the room! It's dramatic irony! *jazz hands*

quote:

“Am I annoying you?” I asked, smiling at the absurdity of it all.

She glanced at me quickly, and then her eyes seemed to get trapped by my gaze.

“Not exactly,” she told me. “I’m more annoyed at myself. My face is so easy to read—my mother always calls me her open book.”

She frowned, disgruntled.

Yes, she can't ever tell a lie! She'll never be able to deceive anyone in the future!

quote:

I stared at her in amazement. She was upset because she thought I saw through her too easily. How bizarre. I’d never expended so much effort to understand someone in all my life—or rather existence, as life was hardly the right word. I did not truly have a life.

You've got that right, Budget Hamlet.

quote:

“On the contrary,” I disagreed, feeling strangely… wary, as if there were some hidden danger here that I was failing to see. Beyond the very obvious danger, something more… I was suddenly on edge, the premonition making me anxious. “I find you very difficult to read.”

“You must be a good reader, then,” she guessed, making her own assumption, which was, again, right on target.

“Usually,” I agreed.

I smiled at her widely then, letting my lips pull back to expose the rows of gleaming, steel-strong teeth behind them.

It was a stupid thing to do, but I was abruptly, unexpectedly desperate to get some kind of warning through to the girl. Her body was closer to me than before, having shifted unconsciously in the course of our conversation. All the little markers and signs that were sufficient to scare off the rest of humanity did not seem to be working on her. Why did she not cringe away from me in terror? Surely she had seen enough of my darker side to realize the danger.

And yes, the original book confirms that Bella found absolutely nothing unusual about his smile. What he thought was making him look like the Ultimate Predator just looks like a hot guy smiling with perfect, white teeth.

quote:

I didn’t get to see if my warning had the intended effect. Mr. Banner called for the class’s attention just then, and she turned away from me at once. She seemed a little relieved for the interruption, so maybe she understood unconsciously.

I hoped she did.

I recognized the fascination growing inside me, even as I tried to root it out. I could not afford to find Bella Swan interesting. Or rather, she could not afford that. Already, I was anxious for another chance to talk to her. I wanted to know more about her mother, her life before she came here, her relationship with her father. All the meaningless details that would flesh out her character further. But every second I spent with her was a mistake, a risk she shouldn’t have to take.

"We can't afford characterization in this book! We have angst to fill!"

quote:

Absentmindedly, she tossed her thick hair just at the moment that I allowed myself another breath. A particularly concentrated wave of her scent hit the back of my throat.

It was like the first day—like the grenade. The pain of the burning dryness made me dizzy. I had to grasp the table again to keep myself in my seat. This time I had slightly more control. I didn’t break anything, at least. The monster growled inside me but took no pleasure in my pain. He was too tightly bound.

For the moment. I stopped breathing altogether and leaned as far from the girl as I could.

Smooth. Not suspicious at all.

quote:

No, I could not afford to find her fascinating. The more interesting I found her, the more likely it was that I would kill her. I’d already made two minor slips today. Would I make a third, one that was not minor?

Like completely freezing up and breathing fresh air only from the hallway?

quote:

As soon as the bell sounded, I fled from the classroom—probably destroying whatever impression of politeness I’d halfway constructed in the course of the hour. Again, I gasped at the clean, wet air outside as though it was a healing attar. I hurried to put as much distance as possible between myself and the girl. Emmett waited for me outside the door of our Spanish class. He read my wild expression for a moment.

How did it go? he wondered warily.

“Nobody died,” I mumbled.

I guess that’s something. When I saw Alice ditching there at the end, I thought…

As we walked into the classroom, I saw his memory from just a few moments earlier, seen through the open door of his last class: Alice walking briskly and blank-faced across the grounds toward the science building. I felt his remembered urge to get up and join her, and then his decision to stay. If Alice needed his help, she would ask.

I closed my eyes in horror and disgust as I slumped into my seat. “I hadn’t realized it was that close. I didn’t think I was going to… I didn’t see that it was that bad,” I whispered.

Seeing Emmett actually being a decent vampire here makes up for Breaking Dawn turning him into a frat douche.

quote:

It wasn’t, he reassured me. Nobody died, right?

“Right,” I said through my teeth. “Not this time.”

Maybe it will get easier.

“Sure.”

Or maybe you kill her. He shrugged. You wouldn’t be the first one to mess up. No one would judge you too harshly. Sometimes a person just smells too good. I’m impressed you’ve lasted this long.

“Not helping, Emmett.”

This would be a really good time for the book to talk about the conflict between the nature of vampiric hunger and regret over centuries or millennia of immortality, but...

quote:

I was revolted by his acceptance of the idea that I would kill the girl, that this was somehow inevitable. Was it her fault that she smelled so good?

I know when it happened to me…, he reminisced, taking me back with him half a century, to a country lane at dusk, where a middle-aged woman was pulling her dried sheets down from a line strung between apple trees. I’d seen this before, the strongest of his two encounters, but the memory seemed particularly vivid now—perhaps because my throat still ached from the last hour’s scorching. Emmett remembered the smell of apples hanging heavy in the air—the harvest was over and the rejected fruits were scattered on the ground, the bruises in their skin leaking their fragrance out in thick clouds. A freshly mowed field of hay was a background to that scent, a harmony. He walked up the lane, all but oblivious to the woman, on an errand for Rosalie. The sky was purple overhead, orange over the mountains to the west. He would have continued up the meandering cart path and there would have been no reason to remember the evening, except that a sudden night breeze blew the white sheets out like sails and fanned the woman’s scent across Emmett’s face.

“Ah,” I groaned quietly. As if my own remembered thirst was not enough.

I know. I didn’t last half a second. I didn’t even think about resisting.

His memory became far too explicit for me to stand.

See, this is a good baseline to establish. When you encounter your "singer" victim, an ordinary vampire will pretty much instantly charge in and chow down without thinking about it. Edward's self-control would have been more meaningful if we knew just how unique it was.

quote:

I jumped to my feet, my teeth locked hard.

Estás bien, Edward?” Mrs. Goff asked, startled by my sudden movement. I could see my face in her mind, and I knew that I looked far from well.

Perdóname,” I muttered as I darted for the door.

Emmett, por favor, puedes ayudar a tu hermano?” she asked, gesturing helplessly toward me as I rushed out of the room.

“Sure,” I heard him say. And then he was right behind me.

He followed me to the far side of the building, where he caught up to me and put his hand on my shoulder.

I shoved his hand away with unnecessary force. It would have shattered the bones in a human hand, and the bones in the arm attached to it.

“Sorry, Edward.”

“I know.” I drew in deep gasps of air, trying to clear my head and lungs.

“Is it as bad as that?” he asked, trying not to think of the scent and the flavor of his memory as he asked, and not quite succeeding.

“Worse, Emmett, worse.”

Emmett actually being a bro is refreshing after the last book.

quote:

He was quiet for a moment.

Maybe…

“No, it would not be better if I got it over with. Go back to class, Emmett. I want to be alone.”

He turned without another word or thought and walked quickly away. He would tell the Spanish teacher that I was sick, or ditching, or a dangerously out of control vampire. Did his excuse really matter? Maybe I wasn’t coming back. Maybe I had to leave.

Take a page out of your advice to Jasper, that you've decided to soundly ignore?

quote:

I returned to my car to wait for school to end. To hide. Again.

I should have spent the time making decisions or trying to bolster my resolve, but, like an addict, I found myself searching through the babble of thoughts emanating from the school buildings. The familiar voices stood out, but I wasn’t interested in listening to Alice’s visions or Rosalie’s complaints right now. I found Jessica easily, but the girl was not with her, so I continued searching. Mike Newton’s thoughts caught my attention, and I located her at last, in Gym with him. He was unhappy because I’d spoken to her today in Biology. He was running over her response when he’d brought the subject up.

I’ve never seen him actually say more than a word here or there to anyone. Of course he would decide to talk to Bella. I don’t like the way he looks at her. But she didn’t seem too excited about him. What did she say to me earlier? “Wonder what was with him last Monday.” Something like that. Didn’t sound like she cared. It couldn’t have been much of a conversation.…

He cheered himself with the idea that Bella had not been interested in her exchange with me. This annoyed me quite a bit, so I stopped listening to him.

Edward's got a Dan Backslide-esque obsession with Mike Newton.

quote:

I put in a CD of violent music, and then turned it up until it drowned out other voices. I had to concentrate on the music very hard to keep myself from drifting back to Mike Newton’s thoughts to spy on the unsuspecting girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRoeeEVhifU

quote:

I cheated a few times as the hour drew to a close. Not spying, I tried to convince myself. I was just preparing. I wanted to know exactly when she would leave the gym, when she would be in the parking lot. I didn’t want her to take me by surprise.

As the students started to file out the gym doors, I got out of my car, not sure why I did it. The rain was light—I ignored it as it slowly saturated my hair.

Did I want her to see me here? Did I hope she would come to speak to me? What was I doing?

Being an idiot.

quote:

I didn’t move, though I tried to convince myself to get back in the car, knowing my behavior was reprehensible. I kept my arms folded across my chest and breathed very shallowly as I watched her walk slowly toward me, her mouth turning down at the corners. She didn’t look at me. A few times she glanced up at the clouds with a scowl, as if they had offended her.

I was disappointed when she reached her car before she had to pass me. Would she have spoken to me? Would I have spoken to her?

I love that Bella has basically been having semi-normal days for the most part while Edward is taking everything in the most dramatic way he can think of.

quote:

She got into a faded red Chevy truck, a rusted behemoth that was older than her father. I watched her start the truck—the old engine roared louder than any other vehicle in the lot—and then hold her hands out toward the heating vents. The cold was uncomfortable to her—she didn’t like it. She combed her fingers through her thick hair, pulling locks through the stream of hot air as though she was trying to dry them. I imagined what the cab of that truck would smell like, and then quickly drove out the thought.

She glanced around as she prepared to back out, and finally looked in my direction. She stared back at me for only half a second, and all I could read in her eyes was surprise before she tore them away and jerked the truck into reverse. And then squealed to a stop again, the back end of the truck missing a collision with Nicole Casey’s compact by mere inches.

This whole book is a farce when you combine both perspectives.

quote:

She stared into her rearview mirror, her mouth hanging open, horrified at her near miss. When the other car had pulled past her, she checked all her blind spots twice and then inched out of the parking space so cautiously that it made me grin. It was as though she thought she was dangerous in her decrepit truck.

The thought of Bella Swan being dangerous to anyone, no matter what she was driving, had me laughing while the girl drove past me, staring straight ahead.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 27, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

God this is terrible.

And they let him go to class when there was “just” a 1-in-12 chance that something bad would happen? You don’t make it very long as a secret conspiracy when you take chances like that!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Edward really is a tedious fucker, isn't he? What's meant to be alluring about this?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Midjack posted:

God this is terrible.

And they let him go to class when there was “just” a 1-in-12 chance that something bad would happen? You don’t make it very long as a secret conspiracy when you take chances like that!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Midjack posted:

God this is terrible.

what are they gonna do? spend time around edward just to make sure he doesn't lose it? look at how mopey and unpleasant he is!

it's easier to restart your secret life with a whole new fake identity then to deal with him for more than 5 minutes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Up Circle posted:

what are they gonna do? spend time around edward just to make sure he doesn't lose it? look at how mopey and unpleasant he is!

it's easier to restart your secret life with a whole new fake identity then to deal with him for more than 5 minutes.

When surprised by a threat like this the right answer is probably to immediately evacuate Eddie under some pretext like “whoops rare disease, he’s being treated on the other side of the country for the next year and no visitors or phone calls” while the rest of them do an orderly departure and they all move on to their next set of identities rather than have to talk him down off the ledge every day like this. Far simpler to eliminate Edward if he’s risking bringing the whole charade crashing down but since the Cullens are Good Guys they wouldn’t do that. Alternately they could split up but it sounds like they don’t want to do that either since vegetarian vampires have to stick together.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
No one in these loving books, human or vampire, acts like a human being.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

quote:

“I don’t want to move yet,” Rosalie complained. “I don’t want to start over. We’re almost out of high school, Emmett. Finally.”

To your point, I really don't understand why they would keep choosing to repeat high school of all things! I understand the argument about glory days, etc but high school wasn't even a thing when these guys were actually that age before they were turned. There's nothing fascinating that you would learn in as part of the high school curriculum that would warrant going back multiple times. I could see college/university being a thing worth repeating and it's not that hard to age up your appearance with make up.

The Cullens would stick out way less in that environment and I suppose the only reason it's not set in college is because Bella wouldn't be in college.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leng posted:

To your point, I really don't understand why they would keep choosing to repeat high school of all things! I understand the argument about glory days, etc but high school wasn't even a thing when these guys were actually that age before they were turned. There's nothing fascinating that you would learn in as part of the high school curriculum that would warrant going back multiple times. I could see college/university being a thing worth repeating and it's not that hard to age up your appearance with make up.

The Cullens would stick out way less in that environment and I suppose the only reason it's not set in college is because Bella wouldn't be in college.

The Cullens would just be those guys who barely show up to class but pass all the assignments and get straight A's anyway. Though I think that would cause some more issues just because of how rigorous universities should be about academic history. How many identities would they be going through to avoid multiples of themselves? Do they keep all their degrees on their walls?

Also, there's a major problem with Edward having "two medical degrees" that shows how little research Meyer did. Medical school regularly involves students practicing procedures and examinations on one another, which means his literally statuesque body would be instantly discovered, and he'd need to actually work in a hospital surrounded by blood to finish it. My headcanon is that he just read enough books that he claims to have the equivalent of two medical degrees, which explains some of his later bizarre behavior.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The Cullens would just be those guys who barely show up to class but pass all the assignments and get straight A's anyway. Though I think that would cause some more issues just because of how rigorous universities should be about academic history. How many identities would they be going through to avoid multiples of themselves? Do they keep all their degrees on their walls?

Also, there's a major problem with Edward having "two medical degrees" that shows how little research Meyer did. Medical school regularly involves students practicing procedures and examinations on one another, which means his literally statuesque body would be instantly discovered, and he'd need to actually work in a hospital surrounded by blood to finish it. My headcanon is that he just read enough books that he claims to have the equivalent of two medical degrees, which explains some of his later bizarre behavior.

If they're smart they completely destroy all paper from previous identities though their wealth persists so there has to be some sort of legal/financial instrument that persists across pesonas.

The whole high school situation kind of invites the question of "why bother" in the first place. If they're just trying to pass the time it would be more advantageous to have a small business that they all work at, such as a small medical practice if they need to have the patriarch employed in the medical industry. Nobody would question where an individual vampire is at a given moment, and they can drop the masquerade entirely when nobody else is around. The one advantage high school has over college is that there are fewer expectations for a high school kid; it's enough to show up, do just well enough to not get held back, and not get into fights and you don't have to have a job or do any of the other social things that are a big part of college in the US. What they do with their time outside of high school is entirely up to them, though there's no reason they couldn't run college the same way since they'd all presumably share a house in that case too. As rich as the Cullens are supposed to be they can probably buy their way past any problems with transcripts if they can't just forge what they need like they did to get into high school in Forks.

I know the real answer is "it's the author's fantasy" and she wanted to revisit high school.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

chitoryu12 posted:

I hope it's not lovely and elitist to say this, but you can tell Meyer really doesn't know a lot about the world, and has no real drive to research things she hasn't experienced. Edward's perspective isn't colored by any of the places he's been or things he's done. It's like reading the livejournal of teenager who's never left the suburbs. Eddie's been through two world wars, the civil rights movement, Vietnam protests, the gay rights movement, 911, etc. And he's lived in a bunch of different places, supposedly coming in contact with a lot of different people. But none of that affects his view of people, or the world. Not even a "Man, kids these days have it so good, they don't know how lucky they are without polio" or "It's amazing how different this school is than the one we attended in Mississippi in the 50s."

Any other part of his life seems like it could be more exciting than this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's even some backstory later on that implies that the Cullens didn't just relive high school every decade, at least not before it became common and expected for kids to attend public school. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to pass for adults and just chill, especially someone like Jasper who can barely contain himself in such a setting.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

After four books and the start of this one, I’m starting get the crazy idea that Stephanie Meyer might just be a hack.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

chitoryu12 posted:

Though I think that would cause some more issues just because of how rigorous universities should be about academic history. How many identities would they be going through to avoid multiples of themselves? Do they keep all their degrees on their walls?

Surely throughout the centuries and millennia, there is some vampire who has infiltrated academia. And to be honest, why even bother trying to get in through the official admissions process? Rich kids get into the colleges all the time via massive donations of a new building or whatever. I don't know about the US but in Australia the general state of higher education is so dismal that international students are the lifeblood of universities - without them paying full price, universities basically don't get enough funding to continue operating. The Cullens could afford to pay for a four year bachelor's degree on international student fees at any Australian university just with the spare cash lying around in any one of the random drawers in their house.

The only one who actually needs official qualifications is Carlisle, since he wants to work in hospitals and do Good Things. The rest of them are just doing whatever, so they don't need a degree, or a job, or anything like that. If they were going to blend in, why would you not go full Crazy Rich Asians or the white equivalent? That would actually be the most natural environment for them to blend in, given their penchant for flaunting fast cars and single wear designer clothing. If they simply wanted to learn things, campus security isn't exactly super tight - just go wander into random lecture halls and the library.

Midjack posted:

If they're smart they completely destroy all paper from previous identities though their wealth persists so there has to be some sort of legal/financial instrument that persists across pesonas.

The answer here is "family trust". :v:

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I figured home schooling would be a go-to justification, unless the Mormons are less big on that than other Christians?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 3: Risk

quote:

Truly, I was not thirsty, but I decided to hunt again that night. A small ounce of prevention, inadequate though I knew it to be.

Carlisle came with me. We hadn’t been alone together since I’d returned from Denali. As we ran through the black forest, I heard him thinking about that hasty goodbye last week.

In his memory, I saw the way my features had been twisted in fierce despair. I felt again his surprise and sudden worry.

TWISTED IN FIERCE DESPAIR

quote:

“Edward?”

“I have to go, Carlisle. I have to go now.”

“What’s happened?”

“Nothing. Yet. But it will if I stay.”

He’d reached for my arm. I’d seen how it had hurt him when I’d cringed away from his hand.

“I don’t understand.”

“Have you ever… has there ever been a time…?”

I watched myself take a deep breath, saw the wild light in my eyes through the filter of his deep concern.

“Has any one person ever smelled better to you than the rest of them? Much better?”

“Oh.”

When I’d known that he understood, my face had fallen with shame. He’d reached out to touch me, ignoring it when I’d recoiled again, and left his hand on my shoulder.

“Do what you must to resist, Son. I will miss you. Here, take my car. The tank is full.”

You, uh, weren't going to follow him?

quote:

He was wondering now if he’d done the right thing then, sending me away. Wondering if he had hurt me with his lack of trust.

“No,” I whispered as I ran. “That was what I needed. I might so easily have betrayed that trust if you’d told me to stay.”

“I’m sorry you’re suffering, Edward. But you should do what you can to keep the Swan child alive. Even if it means that you must leave us again.”

“I know, I know.”

“Why did you come back? You know how happy I am to have you here, but if this is too difficult…”

“I didn’t like feeling a coward,” I admitted.

Eternally 17.

quote:

We’d slowed—we were barely jogging through the darkness now.

“Better that than to put her in danger. She’ll be gone in a year or two.”

“You’re right, I know that.” Contrarily, his words only made me more anxious to stay. The girl would be gone in a year or two.…

Carlisle stopped running and I stopped with him. He turned to examine my expression.

But you’re not going to run, are you?

I hung my head.

Is it pride, Edward? There’s no shame in—

“No, it isn’t pride that keeps me here. Not now.”

It's something much worse!

quote:

Nowhere to go?

I laughed shortly. “No. That wouldn’t stop me if I could make myself leave.”

“We’ll come with you, of course, if that’s what you need. You only have to ask. You’ve moved on without complaint for the rest of them. They won’t begrudge you this.”

I raised one eyebrow.

He laughed. “Yes, Rosalie might, but she owes you. Anyway, it’s much better for us to leave now, no damage done, than for us to leave later, after a life has been ended.” All humor was gone by the end.

"Unless the Volturi are coming to confront us, in which case we'll stand our ground and bring two dozen vampires to eat the residents."

quote:

I flinched at his words.

“Yes,” I agreed. My voice sounded hoarse.

But you’re not leaving?

I sighed. “I should.”

“What holds you here, Edward? I’m failing to see.…”

“I don’t know if I can explain.” Even to myself, it made no sense.

He measured my expression for a long moment.

No, I do not see. But I will respect your privacy, if you prefer.

"Unlike you, who's dedicating all of his free time to violating a girl's privacy."

quote:

“Thank you. It’s generous of you, seeing as how I give privacy to no one.” With one exception. And I was doing what I could to deprive her of that, wasn’t I?

God, I want to strangle him.

quote:

We all have our quirks. He laughed again. Shall we?

He’d just caught the scent of a small herd of deer. It was hard to rally much enthusiasm for what was, even under the best of circumstances, a less than mouthwatering aroma. Right now, with the memory of the girl’s blood fresh in my mind, the smell actually turned my stomach.

I sighed. “Let’s,” I agreed, though I knew that forcing more blood down my throat would help so little.

We both shifted into a hunting crouch and let the unappealing scent pull us silently forward.

Is it like tofu, or does it smell bad? Make up your mind, man.

quote:

It was colder when we returned home. The melted snow had refrozen; it was as if a thin sheet of glass covered everything—each pine needle, each fern frond, each blade of grass was iced over.

While Carlisle went to dress for his early shift at the hospital, I stayed by the river, waiting for the sun to rise. I felt almost… swollen from the amount of blood I’d consumed, but I knew the lack of actual thirst would mean little when I sat beside the girl again.

Cool and motionless as the stone I sat on, I stared at the dark water running beside the icy bank, stared right through it.

Carlisle was right. I should leave Forks. They could spread some story to explain my absence. Boarding school in Europe. Visiting distant relatives. Teenage runaway. The story didn’t matter. No one would question too intensely.

They already barely check the Cullens' records anyway. These guys can do anything they want.

quote:

It was just a year or two, and then the girl would disappear. She would go on with her life—she would have a life to go on with. She’d go to college somewhere, start a career, perhaps marry someone. I could picture that—I could see the girl dressed all in white and walking at a measured pace, her arm through her father’s.

It was odd, the pain that image caused me. I couldn’t understand it. Was I begrudging of her future because it was something I could never have? That made no sense. Every one of the humans around me had that same potential ahead of them—a life—and I rarely stopped to envy them.

Very subtle, Meyer.

quote:

I should leave her to her future. Stop risking her life. That was the right thing to do. Carlisle always chose the right way. I should listen to him now. I would.

He won't.

quote:

The sun rose behind the clouds, and the faint light glistened off all the frozen glass.

One more day, I decided. I would see her one more time. I could handle that. Perhaps I would mention my pending disappearance, set the story up.

This was going to be difficult. I could feel that in the heavy reluctance that was already making me think of excuses to stay—to extend the deadline to two days, three, four.… But I would do the right thing. I knew I could trust Carlisle’s advice. And I also knew that I was too conflicted to make the right decision alone.

Much too conflicted. How much of this reluctance came from my obsessive curiosity, and how much came from my unsatisfied appetite?

It's like....just the first one.

quote:

I went inside to change into fresh clothes for school.

Alice was waiting for me, sitting on the top step at the edge of the third floor.

You’re leaving again, she accused me.

I sighed and nodded.

I can’t see where you’re going this time.

“I don’t know where I’m going yet,” I whispered.

I want you to stay.

I shook my head.

Maybe Jazz and I could come with you?

What's so appealing about Edward that his family can't bear to see him leave? All he does is mope and throw tantrums.

quote:

“They’ll need you all the more if I’m not here to watch out for them. And think of Esme. Would you take half her family away in one blow?”

You’re going to make her so unhappy.

“I know. That’s why you have to stay.”

That’s not the same as having you here, and you know it.

“Yes. But I have to do what’s right.”

There are many right ways, and many wrong ways, though, aren’t there?

For a brief moment, she was swept away into one of her strange visions; I watched along with her as the indistinct images flickered and whirled. I saw myself mixed in with strange shadows that I couldn’t make out—hazy, imprecise forms. And then, suddenly, my skin was glittering in the bright sunlight of a small open meadow. This was a place I knew. There was a figure in the meadow with me, but again, it was indistinct, not there enough to recognize. The images shivered and disappeared as a million tiny choices rearranged the future again.

The one clear image: sparkles.

quote:

“I didn’t catch much of that,” I told her when the vision went dark.

Me either. Your future is shifting around so much I can’t keep up with any of it. I think, though...

She stopped, and she flipped through a vast collection of other recent visions for me. They were all the same—blurry and vague.

“I think something is changing,” she said out loud. “Your life seems to be at a crossroads.”

I laughed grimly. “You do realize that you sound like a carnival fortune-teller, right?”

"Like you were written by a first-time author."

quote:

She stuck out her tiny tongue at me.

“Today is all right, though, isn’t it?” I asked, my voice abruptly apprehensive.

“I don’t see you killing anyone today,” she assured me.

“Thanks, Alice.”

Normal conversation.

quote:

“Go get dressed. I won’t say anything—I’ll let you tell the others when you’re ready.”

She stood and darted back down the stairs, her shoulders hunched slightly. Miss you. Really.

Yes, I would really miss her, too.

What do you even do with her? Do you hang out?

quote:

It was a quiet ride to school. Jasper could feel that Alice was upset about something, but he knew that if she wanted to talk about it, she would have done so already. Emmett and Rosalie were oblivious, having another of their moments, gazing into each other’s eyes with wonder—it was rather disgusting to watch from the outside. We were all quite aware how desperately in love they were. Or maybe I was just being bitter because I was the only one alone. Some days it was harder than others to live with three sets of perfectly matched lovers. This was one of them.

Maybe they would all be happier without me hanging around, ill-tempered and belligerent as the old man I should be by now.

I would be!

quote:

Of course, the first thing I did when we reached the school was to look for the girl. Just preparing myself again.

Right.

It was embarrassing how my world suddenly seemed to be empty of everything but her.

It was easy enough to understand, though, really. After eighty years of the same thing every day and every night, any change became a point of absorption.

Edward had eighty years to find something to do and all he's done is be lame and play piano a lot.

quote:

She had not yet arrived, but I could hear the thunderous chugging of her truck’s engine in the distance. I leaned against the side of the car to wait. Alice stayed with me while the others went straight to class. They were already bored with my fixation—it was incomprehensible to them how any human could hold my interest for so long, no matter how appealing she smelled.

Because your obsession is already on the verge of stalker behavior and they can tell that's not normal?

quote:

The girl drove slowly into view, her eyes intent on the road and her hands tight on the wheel. She seemed anxious about something. It took me a second to figure out what that something was, to realize that every human wore the same expression today. Ah, the road was slick with ice, and they were all trying to drive more carefully. I could see she was taking the added risk seriously.

That seemed in line with what little I had learned of her character. I added this to my small list: She was a serious person, a responsible person.

She jumped off a cliff.

quote:

She parked not too far from me, but she hadn’t noticed me standing here yet, staring at her. I wondered what she would do when she saw me? Blush and walk away? That was my first guess. But maybe she would stare back. Maybe she would come to talk to me.

I took a deep breath, filling my lungs hopefully, just in case.

She got out of the truck with care, testing the slick ground before she put her weight on it. She didn’t look up, and that frustrated me. Maybe I would go talk to her.…

No, that would be wrong.

"I will just stare at her unblinking from a distance."

quote:

Instead of turning toward the school, she made her way to the rear of her truck, clinging to the side of the truck bed in a droll way, not trusting her footing. It made me smile, and I felt Alice’s eyes on my face. I didn’t listen to whatever this made her think—I was having too much fun watching the girl check her snow chains. She actually looked in some danger of falling, the way her feet were sliding around. No one else was having trouble—had she parked in the worst of the ice?

Super smart vampire brain, forgetting she's from a desert.

quote:

She paused there, staring down with a strange expression on her face. It was… tender. As if something about the tire was making her… emotional?

Again, the curiosity ached like a thirst. It was as if I had to know what she was thinking—as if nothing else mattered.

You're entitled to nothing, motherfucker.

quote:

I would go talk to her. She looked like she could use a hand anyway, at least until she was off the slick pavement. Of course, I couldn’t offer her that, could I? I hesitated, torn. As averse as she seemed to be to snow, she would hardly welcome the touch of my cold white hand. I should have worn gloves—

"Hey, sorry my hands are clammy." That's it. All you have to say.

quote:

“NO!” Alice gasped aloud.

Instantly, I scanned her thoughts, guessing at first that I had made a poor choice and she saw me doing something inexcusable. But it had nothing to do with me at all.

Tyler Crowley had chosen to take the turn into the parking lot at an injudicious speed. This choice would send him skidding across a patch of ice.

"Injudicious speed"? gently caress off.

quote:

The vision came just half a second before the reality. Tyler’s van rounded the corner as I was still watching what had pulled the horrified gasp from Alice’s lips.

No, this vision had nothing to do with me, and yet it had everything to do with me, because Tyler’s van—the tires right now hitting the ice at the worst possible angle—was going to spin across the lot and crush the girl who had become the uninvited focal point of my world.

Even without Alice’s foresight it would have been simple enough to read the trajectory of the vehicle, flying out of Tyler’s control.

The girl, standing in the exactly wrong place at the back of her truck, looked up, confused by the sound of the screeching tires. She looked straight into my horror-struck eyes, and then turned to watch her approaching death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmyJ1RVfnPE

Same energy.

quote:

Not her! The words shouted in my head as if they belonged to someone else.

Still locked into Alice’s thoughts, I saw the vision suddenly shift, but I had no time to see what the outcome would be.

I launched myself across the lot, throwing myself between the skidding van and the frozen girl. I moved so fast that everything was a streaky blur except for the object of my focus. She didn’t see me—no human eyes could have followed my flight—still staring at the hulking shape that was about to grind her body into the metal frame of her truck.

I caught her around the waist, moving with too much urgency to be as gentle as she would need me to be. In the hundredth of a second between yanking her slight form out of the path of death and crashing to the ground with her in my arms, I was vividly aware of her fragile, breakable body.

If you took her from standing to the ground in a hundredth of a second, that would be an instantaneous acceleration to over 300 MPH. You would have sliced her in half.

quote:

When I heard her head thump against the ice, it felt as though I had turned to ice, too.

But I didn’t even have a full second to ascertain her condition. I heard the van behind us, grating and squealing as it twisted around the sturdy iron body of the girl’s truck. It was changing course, arcing, coming for her again—as though she were a magnet, pulling it toward us.

This van is sentient! It's trying to kill her!

Seriously, Meyer realized that the way she initially wrote it made no sense so she just had Edward pull her out of the way before the van somehow loops around the truck to come back for more.

quote:

A word I’d never said before in the presence of a lady slid between my clenched teeth.

This motherfucker's so Mormon he can't even say bad words.

quote:

I had already done too much. As I’d nearly flown through the air to push her out of the way, I’d been fully aware of the mistake I was making. Knowing that it was a mistake did not stop me, but I was not oblivious to the risk I was taking—not just for myself, but for my entire family.

Exposure.

And this certainly wouldn’t help, but there was no way I was going to allow the van to succeed in its second attempt to take her life.

I think we found evidence of another supernatural phenomenon in the Twilight universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20BeizHnW3s

quote:

I dropped her and threw my hands out, catching the van before it could touch the girl. The force of it hurled me back into the car parked beside her truck, and I could feel its frame buckle behind my shoulders. The van shuddered and shivered against the unyielding obstacle of my arms, and then swayed, balancing unstably on its two far tires.

If I moved my hands, the back tire of the van was going to fall onto her legs.

Oh, for the love of all that was holy, would the catastrophes never end? Was there anything else that could go wrong? I could hardly sit here, holding the van up, and wait for rescue. Nor could I throw the van away—there was the driver to consider, his thoughts incoherent with panic.

I've never been so bored with an action scene.

quote:

With an internal groan, I shoved the van so that it rocked away from us for an instant. As it fell back toward me, I caught it under the frame with my right hand while I wrapped my left arm around the girl’s waist again and dragged her out from under the threatening tire, pulling her tight against my side. Her body moved limply as I swung her around so that her legs would be in the clear—was she conscious? How much damage had I done to her in my impromptu rescue attempt?

Realistically, you've done enough damage to tear her body to shreds!

quote:

I let the van drop, now that it could not hurt her. It crashed to the pavement, all the windows shattering in unison.

That's some shoddy construction!

quote:

I knew that I was in the middle of a crisis. How much had she seen? Had any other witnesses watched me materialize at her side and then juggle the van while I tried to keep her out from under it? These questions should be my biggest concern.

But I was too anxious to really care about the threat of exposure as much as I should. Too panic-stricken that I might have injured her in my effort to save her life. Too frightened to have her this close to me, knowing what I would smell if I allowed myself to inhale. Too aware of the heat of her soft body, pressed against mine—even through the double obstacle of our jackets, I could feel that heat.

The first fear was the greatest fear. As the screaming of the witnesses erupted around us, I leaned down to examine her face, to see if she was conscious—hoping fiercely that she was not bleeding anywhere.

Imagine if Bella had been allowed to get crushed and Edward just immediately ran in and started licking the blood from her corpse in front of everyone.

quote:

Her eyes were open, staring in shock.

“Bella?” I asked urgently. “Are you all right?”

“I’m fine.” She said the words automatically in a dazed voice.

Relief, so exquisite it was nearly pain, washed through me at the sound of her voice. I sucked in a breath through my teeth and for once did not mind the agony of the accompanying burn in my throat. In a strange way, I almost welcomed it.

She struggled to sit up, but I was not ready to release her. It felt somehow… safer? Better, at least, having her tucked into my side.

So Bella's eyes were supposed to be open wide and witness everything...but he was explicitly moving too fast for the human eye to see and the van violated several laws of physics itself.

quote:

“Be careful,” I warned her. “I think you hit your head pretty hard.”

There had been no smell of fresh blood—a great mercy, that—but this did not rule out internal damage. I was abruptly anxious to get her to Carlisle and a full complement of radiology equipment.

"Dear Lord, Edward! You've pulverized all of her internal organs! The whiplash has powdered her spinal column!"

quote:

“Ow,” she said, her tone comically shocked as she realized I was right about her head.

“That’s what I thought.” Relief made it funny to me, made me almost giddy.

“How in the…?” Her voice trailed off, and her eyelids fluttered. “How did you get over here so fast?”

The relief turned sour, the humor vanished. She had noticed too much. Now that it appeared the girl was in decent shape, the anxiety for my family became severe.

"Bella the van just crashed into your truck and then sprang off at a 90-degree angle. Clearly my speed is of the least concern."

quote:

“I was standing right next to you, Bella.” I knew from experience that if I was very confident as I lied, it made any questioner less sure of the truth.

Gaslighting just comes naturally to him now!

quote:

She struggled to move again, and this time I allowed it. I needed to breathe so that I could play my role correctly. I needed space from her warm-blooded heat so that it would not combine with her scent to overwhelm me. I slid away from her, as far as was possible in the small space between the wrecked vehicles.

She stared up at me, and I stared back. To look away first was a mistake only an incompetent liar would make, and I was not an incompetent liar. My expression was smooth, benign. It seemed to confuse her. That was good.

The accident scene was surrounded now. Mostly students, children, peering and pushing through the cracks to see if any mangled bodies were visible. There was a babble of shouting and a gush of shocked thought. I scanned the thoughts once to make sure there were no suspicions yet, and then tuned them out and concentrated only on the girl.

She was distracted by the bedlam. She glanced around, her expression still stunned, and tried to get to her feet.

I put my hand lightly on her shoulder to hold her down.

“Just stay put for now.” She seemed all right, but should she really be moving her neck? Again, I wished for Carlisle. My years of theoretical medical study were no match for his centuries of hands-on medical practice.

Two medical degrees.

quote:

“But it’s cold,” she objected.

She had almost been crushed to death two distinct times, and it was the cold that worried her. A chuckle slid through my teeth before I could remember that the situation was not funny.

Bella blinked, and then her eyes focused on my face. “You were over there.”

That sobered me again.

She glanced toward the south, though there was nothing to see now but the crumpled side of the van. “You were by your car.”

“No, I wasn’t.”

“I saw you,” she insisted. Her voice was childlike in her stubbornness. Her chin jutted out.

The chin!

quote:

“Bella, I was standing with you, and I pulled you out of the way.”

I stared deeply into her eyes, trying to will her into accepting my version—the only rational version on the table.

Nothing about what happened is rational!

quote:

Her jaw set. “No.”

I tried to stay calm, to not panic. If only I could keep her quiet for a few moments to give me a chance to destroy the evidence… and undermine her story by disclosing her head injury.

Shouldn’t it be easy to keep this silent, secretive girl quiet? If only she would follow my lead, just for a few moments…

“Please, Bella,” I said, and my voice was too intense, because I suddenly wanted her trust. Wanted it badly, and not just in regard to this accident. A stupid desire. What sense would it make for her to trust me?

None at all. She shouldn't. Ever.

quote:

“Why?” she asked, still defensive.

“Trust me,” I pleaded.

“Will you promise to explain everything to me later?”

It made me angry to have to lie to her again, when I so wished that I could somehow deserve her confidence. When I answered her, it was a retort.

You don't have to tell me how to read dialogue.

quote:

“Fine.”

“Fine,” she echoed in the same tone.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

This is, somehow, even more boring from Edward's POV. Since you've said it improves after the point the original draft ends, how much longer is that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

This is, somehow, even more boring from Edward's POV. Since you've said it improves after the point the original draft ends, how much longer is that?

It’s almost exactly at the 33% mark. We’re at about 10% now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014