Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I know it's a triviality but what's this idea that humans can't smell blood? What?

Also Edward is only from 1917. He talks like he's from a completely alien culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I know it's a triviality but what's this idea that humans can't smell blood? What?

Also Edward is only from 1917. He talks like he's from a completely alien culture.

Imagine a setting where vampires really were so stuck in who they were when they were born that they still use the same patterns of speech as when they were transformed. Carlisle is locked into 17th century English and Emmett, Alice, and Rosalie are constantly using archaic slang.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

So I was intrigued and decided to see if there was any public info on her hobbies.

Zip. Zilch. Nada. A few minutes of searching online can't pull up any interviews where she talks about what she likes to do other than reading or writing. A site of questionable provenance includes gardening and traveling, and another site tries to list "being a film producer" as a hobby, but that's it. She's spoken at length about raising her kids and how stressful it is, going on for paragraphs about cooking and going to Little League games, but never anything about what she does to unwind other than read and write. Bella having zero hobbies other than reading and Edward not really doing anything for fun except composing makes a lot more sense if the author likewise doesn't really have anything else she can name as a pastime. And she doesn't even seem to write very much for a professional writer!

I'd downright feel sorry for her at this point if she hadn't done so much damage to young women with these books.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine a setting where vampires really were so stuck in who they were when they were born that they still use the same patterns of speech as when they were transformed. Carlisle is locked into 17th century English and Emmett, Alice, and Rosalie are constantly using archaic slang.

100% would read, this would be so much funnier.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 7: Melody

quote:

I had to wait when I got back to school. The final hour wasn't out yet. That was good, because I had things to think about and I needed the alone time.

Her scent lingered in the car. I kept the windows up, letting it assault me, trying to get used to the feel of intentionally torching my throat.

Attraction.

It was a problematic thing to contemplate. So many sides to it, so many different meanings and levels. Not the same thing as love, but tied up in it inextricably.

Unless you're a Mormon! One of the issues that ex-Mormons have described with their beliefs regarding love and romance is that the focus on finding your eternal soulmate, pre-destined before you were born, can cause confusion among youths between lust and love. They find themselves extremely attracted to someone, mutually decide they're soulmates, and get married and sealed to be together for eternity. There are weird aspects to it (like they'll perform sealing ceremonies for the deceased), but it also leads to people who aren't actually suited for marriage being indoctrinated into believing that it's for life and beyond with their true partner. Divorce is heavily stigmatized and viewed with such fear that women especially will often be compelled to remain in a collapsing or abusive relationship. The church teaching is basically "If you don't love each other, it's because you're doing it wrong and need to pray more and try harder."

This is another reason why Edward and Bella's relationship is viewed as so fraudulent by many readers. Because it's inherently based in Meyer's ideology, their romance is empty and devoid of real feeling. They're both simply In Love as soon as they see each other, but have no real relationship to speak of. They're just destined to be together forever and don't actually need to have much in common or do anything to show how they love one another. It says a lot that when Jacob starts actually having a true relationship with Bella in New Moon that makes him seem more valid than Edward, he has to suddenly have his personality destroyed to turn him into a rage-filled sexual abuser so he no longer looks like Bella's real true love.

quote:

I had no idea if Bella was attracted to me. (Would her mental silence somehow continue to get more and more frustrating until I went mad? Or was there a limit that I would eventually reach?)

I tried to compare her physical responses to others’, like the receptionist and Jessica Stanley, but the comparison was inconclusive. The same markers—changes in heart rate and breathing patterns—could just as easily mean fear or shock or anxiety as they did interest. Certainly other women, and men, too, had reacted to my face with instinctive apprehension. Many more had that response than the alternative. It seemed unlikely that Bella could be entertaining the same kinds of thoughts that Jessica Stanley used to have. After all, Bella knew very well that there was something wrong with me, even if she didn’t know exactly what it was. She had touched my icy skin, and then yanked her hand away from the chill.

And yet… I remembered those fantasies that used to repulse me, but remembered them with Bella in Jessica’s place.

I was breathing more quickly, the fire clawing up and down my throat.

What if it had been Bella imagining me with my arms wrapped around her fragile body? Feeling me pull her tightly against my chest and then cupping my hand under her chin? Brushing the heavy curtain of her hair back from her blushing face? Tracing the shape of her full lips with my fingertips? Leaning my face closer to hers, where I could feel the heat of her breath on my mouth? Moving closer still…

First we had Jacob running wild-eyed through a park trying to force himself to get horny for underage girls. Now we have Edward hyperventilating in the parking lot over how horny he is.

quote:

But then I flinched away from the daydream, knowing, as I had known when Jessica had imagined these things, what would happen if I got that close to her.

Attraction was an impossible dilemma, because I was already too attracted to Bella in the worst way.

Did I want Bella to be attracted to me, a woman to a man?

A teenage girl to a permanent manchild a century old?

quote:

That was the wrong question. The right question was should I want Bella to be attracted to me that way, and the answer was no. Because I was not a human man, and that wasn’t fair to her.

With every fiber of my being, I ached to be a normal man, so that I could hold her in my arms without risking her life. So that I could be free to spin my own fantasies, fantasies that didn’t end with her blood on my hands, her blood glowing in my eyes.

My pursuit of her was indefensible. What kind of relationship could I offer her, when I couldn’t risk touching her?

I think Rogue from the X-Men has some advice on this.

quote:

I hung my head in my hands.

It was all the more confusing because I had never felt so human in my whole life—not even when I was human, as far as I could recall. In those days, my thoughts had all been turned to a soldier’s glory. The Great War had raged through most of my adolescence, and I’d been only nine months away from my eighteenth birthday when the influenza had struck. I had just vague impressions of those human years, murky memories that became less real with every passing decade. I remembered my mother most clearly and felt an ancient ache when I thought of her face. I recalled dimly how much she had hated the future I’d raced eagerly toward, praying every night when she said grace at dinner that the “horrid war” would end. I had no memories of another kind of yearning. Besides my mother’s love, there was no other love that had made me wish to stay.

And there is some incredibly brief backstory for Edward!

Canonically, Edward was turned in September 1918. At that point, the Meuse–Argonne Offensive (the largest and bloodiest operation in the entire war) was either underway or about to begin, but my research on the war found that Edward would have gone through 16 weeks of basic training first. This would have landed him in the army well after the armistice ended the war. Ironically, the Spanish Flu ravaged the military so badly that it's quite likely Edward would have died from it anyway!

quote:

This was entirely new to me. I had no parallels to draw, no comparisons to make.

The love I felt for Bella had come purely, but now the waters were muddied. I wanted very much to be able to touch her. Did she feel the same way?

That didn’t matter, I tried to convince myself.

I stared at my white hands, hating their hardness, their coldness, their inhuman strength.…

Their layer of Party City glitter...

quote:

I jumped when the passenger door opened.

Ha. Caught you by surprise. There’s a first, Emmett thought as he slid into the seat. “I’ll bet Mrs. Goff thinks you’re on drugs, you’ve been so erratic lately. Where were you today?”

“I was… doing good deeds.”

Huh?

I chuckled. “Caring for the sick, that kind of thing.”

The concept of Edward doing good things is so alien that Emmett is confused by it.

quote:

That confused him more, but then he inhaled and caught the scent in the car.

“Oh. The girl again?”

I scowled.

This is getting weird.

Thank you!

quote:

“Tell me about it,” I mumbled.

He inhaled again. “Hmm, she does have quite a flavor, doesn’t she?”

The snarl broke through my lips before his words had even registered all the way, an automatic response.

“Easy, kid, I’m just sayin’.”

The others arrived then. Rosalie noticed the scent at once and glowered at me, still not over her irritation. I wondered what her real problem was, but all I could hear from her were insults.

Her real problem is "Stephenie Meyer hates her."

quote:

I didn’t like Jasper’s reaction, either. Like Emmett, he noticed Bella’s appeal. Not that the scent had, for either of them, a thousandth portion of the draw it had for me, but it still upset me that her blood was sweet to them. Jasper had poor control.

Alice skipped to my side of the car and held her hand out for Bella’s truck key. “I only saw that I was,” she said—as was her habit—obscurely. “You’ll have to tell me the whys.”

“This doesn’t mean—”

“I know, I know. I’ll wait. It won’t be long.”

I sighed and gave her the key.

So...why did Edward have to pick the keys from her pocket when he told her that Alice would bring her truck back? Did they both just forget about that until the last second and he grabbed them?

quote:

I followed her to Bella’s house. The rain was pounding down like a million tiny hammers, so loud that Bella’s human ears might not hear the thunder of the truck’s engine. I watched her window, but she didn’t come to look out. Maybe she wasn’t there. There were no thoughts to hear.

I had mentioned during the first book how implausible it was that Alice managed to sneak Bella's incredibly loud truck back without her noticing. And there's the answer: it somehow rained louder than the engine!

quote:

It made me sad that I couldn’t hear enough of her thoughts even to check on her—to make sure she was happy, or safe, at the very least.

Alice climbed into the back and we sped home. The roads were empty, and so it only took a few minutes. We trooped into the house, and then went to our various pastimes.

Emmett and Jasper were in the middle of an elaborate game of chess, utilizing eight joined boards spread out along the glass back wall, and their own complicated set of rules. They wouldn’t let me play; only Alice would play games with me anymore.

This is why it's always so frustrating when the vampires are so loving stupid: Emmett and Jasper are supposed to be some of the greatest geniuses in the world!

quote:

Alice went to her computer just around the corner from them and I could hear her monitors sing to life. She was working on a fashion design project for Rosalie’s wardrobe, but Rosalie did not join her today, to stand behind her and direct cut and color as Alice’s hand traced over the touch-sensitive screens. Instead, today Rosalie sprawled sullenly on the sofa and started flipping through twenty channels a second on the flat screen, never pausing. I could hear her trying to decide whether or not to go out to the garage and tune her BMW again.

Because Rosalie wasn't cool enough already, she's also a pro mechanic and fashion enthusiast!

Note the comment about touch-sensitive screens. As common as these are today, this is 2005. Even in 2008 when this passage was originally written, a touchscreen monitor was a rarity and one with the ability for multi-touch contact would likely be a one-off custom job (they didn't become mainstream before the iPhone in 2007).

The original draft also had a note that Carlisle and Edward had tweaked the system because most touchscreens responded to temperature. This has been removed in the published version likely because someone informed Meyer that she was dead wrong: almost all touchscreens at that time were resistive, requiring the user to press their finger or a stylus against the outside of the screen to get it to touch the bottom layer. This would work without issue with a vampire (or any object touching the screen), but is imprecise and generally can't handle multi-touch capability. Modern touchscreens since the iPhone instead generally use capacitance, relying on the natural ability of skin to conduct electricity to let the screen detect exactly what's being touched with incredible precision. This would get into questions about whether a vampires diamond-like skin can conduct electricity!

quote:

Esme was upstairs, humming over a set of blueprints. She was always designing something new. Perhaps she would build this one for our next home, or the one after that.

Yes, every vampire is cooler than Edward. Even Esme.

quote:

Alice leaned her head around the wall after a moment and started mouthing Emmett’s next moves—Emmett sat on the floor with his back to her—to Jasper, who kept his expression very smooth as he cut off Emmett’s favorite knight.

And, for the first time in so long that I felt ashamed, I went to sit at the exquisite grand piano stationed just off the entryway.

I ran my hand gently up the scales, testing the pitch. The tuning was still perfect.

Upstairs, Esme’s pencil paused and she cocked her head to the side.

I began the first line of the tune that had suggested itself to me in the car today, pleased that it sounded even better than I’d imagined.

Edward is playing again, Esme thought joyously, a smile breaking across her face. She got up from her drafting desk and flitted silently to the head of the stairs.

I added a harmonizing line, letting the central melody weave through it.

Esme sighed with contentment, sat down on the top step, and leaned her head against a baluster. A new song. It’s been so long. What a lovely tune.

I let the melody lead in a new direction, following it with the bass line.

This is about the extent of musical knowledge Meyer learned after the first book.

quote:

Edward is composing again? Rosalie thought, and her teeth clenched together in fierce resentment.

In that moment, she slipped, and I could read all her underlying outrage. I saw why she was in such a poor temper with me. Why killing Isabella Swan had not bothered her conscience at all.

With Rosalie, it was always about vanity.

gently caress Stephenie Meyer, and I will tell you why.

We've already seen Rosalie's reasons why she's upset about Edward and Bella's romance in Eclipse: she hates that Bella is throwing away everything she could have had, had her fiancee not decided to rape and murder her instead. She sees Bella as the immature, impulsive teenager that she is and doesn't consider vampirism something to aspire to. As far as she's concerned, Bella is incredibly selfish and has no clue what she's sacrificing in the name of a youthful romance. And she's absolutely right in my book.

Later on, Midnight Sun will give Rosalie and Edward a scene that reinforces this. It's probably the best scene Rosalie gets in the entire series, and one that a more competent writer would make the core of her character. It gives her complexity as a tragic, flawed, but ultimately not evil or spiteful figure. She has the capability to be a rounded and compelling character, even moreso than the protagonists of the series.

And despite knowing all of this when she wrote it, Stephenie Meyer still had to include the note that Rosalie is so vain, so jealous that the pretty boy Edward didn't like her (despite having gotten a perfectly loving relationship of her own), that she's willing to murder an innocent teenage girl out of spite. Meyer is so hardcore about making Rosalie the face of all the hot blondes she felt inferior to growing up, so determined to hate her and make the audience hate her, that she throws in a completely unnecessary scene of Rosalie being an evil bitch to remind you that you're supposed to cheer when Jacob throws a bowl at her head or Bella gets what she wants against Rosalie's wishes.

quote:

The music came to an abrupt halt, and I laughed before I could help myself, a sharp bark of amusement that broke off quickly as I threw my hand over my mouth.

Rosalie turned to glare at me, her eyes sparking with mortified fury.

Emmett and Jasper turned to stare, too, and I heard Esme’s confusion. She was downstairs in a flash, pausing to glance between Rosalie and me.

“Don’t stop, Edward,” Esme encouraged after a strained moment.

I started playing again, turning my back on Rosalie while trying very hard to control the grin stretching across my face. She got to her feet and stalked out of the room, more angry than embarrassed. But certainly quite embarrassed.

If you say one word, I will put you down like a dog.

I smothered another laugh.

gently caress this guy and gently caress this author.

quote:

“What’s wrong, Rose?” Emmett called after her. Rosalie didn’t turn. Back ramrod straight, she continued to the garage and then squirmed under her car as if she could bury herself there.

“What’s that about?” Emmett asked me.

“I don’t have the faintest idea,” I lied.

Emmett grumbled, frustrated.

“Keep playing,” Esme urged. My fingers had paused again.

I did as she asked, and she came to stand behind me, putting her hands on my shoulders.

The song was compelling, but incomplete. I toyed with a bridge, but it didn’t seem right somehow.

That's because you can't just write a complex song in one go without edits!

quote:

“It’s charming. Does it have a name?” Esme asked.

“Not yet.”

“Is there a story to it?” she asked, a smile in her voice. This gave her very great pleasure, and I felt guilty for having neglected my music for so long. It had been selfish.

“It’s… a lullaby, I suppose.” I got the bridge right then. It led easily to the next movement, taking on a life of its own.

“A lullaby,” she repeated to herself.

There was a story to this melody, and once I saw that, the pieces fell into place effortlessly. The story was a sleeping girl in a narrow bed, dark hair thick and wild and twisted like seaweed across the pillow.…

"Me sitting in the corner, staring at her without blinking the entire night."

quote:

Alice left Jasper to his own skill and came to sit next to me on the bench. In her trilling, wind-chime voice, she sketched out a wordless descant two octaves above the melody.

“I like it,” I murmured. “But how about this?”

I added her line to the harmony—my hands flying across the keys to work all the pieces together—modifying it a bit, taking it in a new direction.

She caught the mood and sang along.

“Yes. Perfect,” I said.

Esme squeezed my shoulder.

But I could see the conclusion now, with Alice’s voice rising above the tune and taking it to another place. I could see how the song must end, because the sleeping girl was perfect just the way she was, and any change at all would be wrong, a sadness. The song drifted toward that realization, slower and lower. Alice’s voice lowered, too, and became solemn, a tone that belonged under the echoing arches of a candlelit cathedral.

I played the last note, and then bowed my head over the keys.

This is one of those scenes that really needs to be in a better book.

quote:

Esme stroked my hair. It’s going to be fine, Edward. This is going to work out for the best. You deserve happiness, my son. Fate owes you that.

Friendly reminder that biologically, Esme is only 9 years older than Edward.

quote:

“Thank you,” I whispered, wishing I could believe it. And that my happiness was the one that mattered.

Love doesn’t always come in convenient packages.

I laughed once without humor.

You, out of everyone on this planet, are perhaps best equipped to deal with such a difficult quandary. You are the best and the brightest of us all.

I sighed. Every mother thought the same of her son.

And few have been so wrong!

quote:

Esme was still full of joy that my heart had finally been touched after all this time, no matter the potential for tragedy. She’d thought I would always be alone.

She’ll have to love you back, she thought suddenly, catching me by surprise with the direction of her thoughts. If she’s a bright girl. She smiled. But I can’t imagine anyone being so slow they wouldn’t see the catch you are.

“Stop it, Mom, you’re making me blush,” I teased. Her words, though improbable, did cheer me.

"Also it's really weird that we're doing this when we're almost the same age!"

quote:

Alice laughed and picked out the top hand of “Heart and Soul.” I grinned and completed the simple harmony with her. Then I favored her with a performance of “Chopsticks.”

She giggled, then sighed. “So I wish you’d tell me what you were laughing at Rose about,” Alice said. “But I can see that you won’t.”

“No.”

She flicked my ear with her finger.

“Be nice, Alice,” Esme chided. “Edward is being a gentleman.”

Since loving when?

quote:

“But I want to know.”

I laughed at the whining tone she put on. Then I said, “Here, Esme,” and began playing her favorite song, an unnamed tribute to the love I’d watched between her and Carlisle for so many years.

There's somehow an entirely different Cullen family we could have seen instead of the poo poo Meyer gives us.

quote:

“Thank you, dear.” She squeezed my shoulder again.

I didn’t have to concentrate to play the familiar piece. Instead I thought of Rosalie, still figuratively writhing in humiliation in the garage, and grinned to myself.

Having just discovered the potency of jealousy for myself, I had a small amount of pity for her. It was a wretched way to feel. Of course, her jealously was a thousand times more petty than mine. Quite the dog in the manger scenario.

I wondered how Rosalie’s life and personality would have been different if she had not always been the most beautiful. Would she have been a happier person—less egocentric? More compassionate?—if beauty hadn’t at all times been her strongest selling point? Well, I supposed it was useless to wonder, because the past was done, and she always had been the most beautiful. Even when human, she had ever lived in the spotlight of her own loveliness. Not that she’d minded. The opposite—she’d loved admiration above all else. That hadn’t changed with the loss of her mortality.

It was no surprise, then, taking this need as a given, that she’d been offended when I had not, from the beginning, worshiped her beauty the way she expected all males to worship. Not that she’d wanted me in any way—far from it. But it had aggravated her that I did not want her, despite that.

It was different with Jasper and Carlisle—they were already both in love. I was completely unattached, and yet still remained obstinately unmoved.

I’d thought that old resentment buried, that she was long past it. And she had been… until the day I finally found someone whose beauty touched me the way hers had not. Of course. I should have realized how that would annoy her. I probably would have, had I not been so preoccupied.

Rosalie had relied on the belief that if I did not find her beauty worth worshiping, then certainly there was no beauty on earth that would reach me. She’d been furious since the moment I’d saved Bella’s life, guessing, with her shrewd, competitive intuition, the interest that I was all but unconscious of myself.

Rosalie was mortally offended that I found some insignificant human girl more appealing than her.

I suppressed the urge to laugh again.

This is part of the original draft, completely unchanged except a few words (it used to be "shrewd female intuition" because Meyer has internalized misogyny), and still the most spiteful toward Rosalie. I know that normally I would be changing my opinion on a character after finding out terrible things about them (like Emmett eagerly encouraging Edward to eat Bella, which is also an unchanged part of the original), but it's so blatant what Meyer is doing here. Even with Rosalie being given a complete 180 in Eclipse, she has to remain a hate sink for the audience because she's the bitchy blonde girl that Bella needs to one-up and turn to her side by being too perfect to deny.

It's offensive that Meyer got a chance to fix everything she did with Rosalie's character and simply returned her to the shallow, self-centered bitch she originally wanted her to be. It only makes it clear what all of these characters are meant to be: things for her self-insert to use to glorify herself.

quote:

It bothered me some, though, the way she saw Bella. Rosalie actually thought the girl plain. How could she believe that? It seemed incomprehensible to me. A product of the jealousy, no doubt.

See what I mean? Bella is simultaneously plain and perfect. Meyer claimed to make Bella a cipher without much personality because she's a way for any girl to insert herself into the book, but this is how Meyer described herself at the age Bella is, to the point of her exact features being similar. Bella has to be the plain quiet girl and only Edward truly understands her beauty, but anyone who's not a villain is falling over themselves to talk about how great she is and kids who are meant to be bad (like Jessica and Mike) are still obsessed with having her around. Because Rosalie doesn't get how perfect Bella is, she's vilified.

quote:

“Oh!” Alice said abruptly. “Jasper, guess what?”

I saw what she’d just seen, and my hands froze on the keys.

“What, Alice?” Jasper asked.

“Peter and Charlotte are coming to visit next week! They’re going to be in the neighborhood. Isn’t that nice?”

“What’s wrong, Edward?” Esme asked, feeling the tension in my shoulders.

“Peter and Charlotte are coming to Forks?” I hissed at Alice.

She rolled her eyes at me. “Calm down, Edward. It’s not their first visit.”

My teeth clenched. It was their first visit since Bella had arrived, and her sweet blood didn’t appeal just to me.

Alice frowned at my expression. “They never hunt here. You know that.”

But Jasper’s brother of sorts and the little vampire he loved were not like us; they hunted the usual way. They could not be trusted around Bella.

Remember in Breaking Dawn how the Cullens were handing out their cars to let all the visitors go kill people in neighboring towns? Turns out they could have just not done that!

quote:

“When?” I demanded.

She pursed her lips unhappily but told me what I needed to know. Monday morning. No one is going to hurt Bella.

“No,” I agreed, and then turned away from her. “You ready, Emmett?”

“I thought we were leaving in the morning?”

“We’re coming back by midnight Sunday. I guess it’s up to you when you want to leave.”

Does that count as another title drop?

quote:

“Okay, fine. Let me say goodbye to Rose first.”

“Sure.” With the mood Rosalie was in, it would be a short goodbye.

You really have lost it, Edward, he thought as he headed toward the back door.

“I suppose I have.”

“Play the new song for me, one more time,” Esme asked.

“If you’d like that,” I agreed, though I was a little hesitant to follow the tune to its unavoidable end—the end that had set me aching in unfamiliar ways. I thought for a moment, and then pulled the bottle cap from my pocket and set it on the empty music rack. That helped a bit—my little memento of her yes.

I nodded to myself, and started playing.

Esme and Alice exchanged a glance, but neither one asked.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

Friendly reminder that biologically, Esme is only 9 years older than Edward.

He's also been a vampire longer than she has - Carlisle turned him years before Esme. Its bizarre that they insist on traditional family roles in their coven....until you remember the Mormonism.

I like to imagine the 8 chessboards in a single long row, with Emmett and Jasper just marching pawns step by step towards each other.

chitoryu12 posted:

but this is how Meyer described herself at the age Bella is, to the point of her exact features being similar.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i choose to believe that Edward is lying about their entire background out of jealousy that Rosalie rejected him instead.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Are we meant to believe Edward *heard* Esme tilting her head?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HopperUK posted:

Are we meant to believe Edward *heard* Esme tilting her head?

It looks like his telepathy is not only hearing thoughts, but being able to see through other people's eyes.

Mervin of Das Sporking tried doing her own version of Midnight Sun that tried to present Edward's entire backstory, starting back in the 1930s, and presenting him as truly tragic and flawed. Unfortunately I didn't get past the second chapter because it overemphasized Edward being a permanent 17-year-old by having him turn into a crazy chronic masturbator because he's able to see and experience every single person having sex and their sexual thoughts around him at all times, including experiencing Esme and Carlisle's loving from both points of view when he's in the house so he knows what it's like to gently caress his mother and be hosed by his father.

Just because you can critique a book doesn't mean you can write something good.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

It looks like his telepathy is not only hearing thoughts, but being able to see through other people's eyes.

That still doesn't explain being able to tell with telepathy that she's smiling.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

“Hasn’t anyone ever told you not to play with your food?” I called to Emmett.

“Oh, hey, Edward!” he shouted back, grinning and waving at me. The bear took advantage of his distraction to rake its heavy paw across Emmett’s chest. The sharp claws shredded through his shirt and squealed across his skin like knives across steel.

The bear bellowed at the high-pitched noise.

Aw hell, Rose gave me this shirt!

Emmett roared back at the enraged animal.

I sighed and sat down on a convenient boulder. This might take a while.

BEAR FIGHT

quote:

But Emmett was almost done. He let the bear try to take his head off with another swipe of the paw, laughing as the blow bounced off and sent the beast staggering back. The bear roared and Emmett roared again through his laughter. Then he launched himself at the animal, which stood a head taller than him on its hind legs, and their bodies fell to the ground tangled up together, taking a mature spruce tree down with them. The bear’s growls cut off with a gurgle.

A few minutes later, Emmett jogged over to where I was waiting for him. His shirt was destroyed, torn and bloodied, sticky with sap and covered in fur. His dark curly hair wasn’t in much better shape. He had a huge grin on his face.

This is loving amazing. Emmett is so loving cool now.

quote:

“That was a strong one. I could almost feel it when he clawed me.”

“You’re such a child, Emmett.”

He eyed my smooth, clean white button-down. “Weren’t you able to track down that mountain lion, then?”

“Of course I was. I just don’t eat like a savage.”

"I just sit in a teenage girl's room, staring at her and shivering at my impure thoughts."

quote:

Emmett laughed his booming laugh. “I wish they were stronger. It would be more fun.”

“No one said you had to fight your food.”

“Yeah, but who else am I going to fight with? You and Alice cheat, Rose never wants to mess up her hair, and Esme gets mad if Jasper and I really go at it.”

The joke early in the thread about Emmett and Alice starting a parking lot fight club in a Walmart is barely an exaggeration.

quote:

“Life is hard all around, isn’t it?”

Emmett grinned at me, shifting his weight a bit so that he was suddenly poised to take a charge.

“C’mon Edward. Just turn it off for one minute and fight fair.”

“It doesn’t turn off,” I reminded him.

“Wonder what that human girl does to keep you out,” Emmett mused. “Maybe she could give me some pointers.”

My good humor vanished. “Stay away from her,” I growled through my teeth.

Also a sign of love: extreme possessiveness to the point of fanaticism and violence!

quote:

“Touchy, touchy.”

I sighed. Emmett came to sit beside me on the rock.

“Sorry. I know you’re going through a tough spot. I really am trying to not be too much of an insensitive jerk, but since that’s sort of my natural state…”

Seriously Meyer, you can't just tell us what a character's personality trait is and expect us to believe it. Emmett is way nicer and more sensitive than Edward! Remember all his time early on trying to help Edward control himself when he first encountered Bella? Edward has been nothing but a jerk to everyone for this entire book and even his "Oh my God he's back to being a sweet boy!" moment with his family in this chapter is ruined by him getting to be smug about making Rosalie mad. But we're supposed to think Emmett is just an impulsive meathead and Edward has a heart of gold, so Meyer's answer is to just tell us what we're supposed to believe.

quote:

He waited for me to laugh at his joke, and then made a face.

So serious all the time. What’s bugging you now?

“Thinking about her. Well, worrying, really.”

“What’s there to worry about? You are here.” He laughed loudly.

I ignored his joke again, but answered his question. “Have you ever thought about how fragile they all are? How many bad things can happen to a mortal?”

“Not really. I guess I see what you mean, though. I wasn’t much match for a bear that first time around, was I?”

"Now I can seek revenge!"

quote:

“Bears,” I muttered, adding a new fear to the already large pile. “That would be just her luck, wouldn’t it? Stray bear in town. Of course it would head straight for Bella.”

Emmett chuckled. “You sound like a crazy person. You can hear that, right?”

All of these one-on-one scenes Midnight Sun added to flesh out the Cullens really help showcase how much better they are.

quote:

“Just imagine for one minute that Rosalie was human, Emmett. And she could run into a bear… or get hit by a car… or lightning… or fall down stairs… or get sick—get a disease!” The words burst from me stormily. It was a relief to let them out—they’d been festering inside me all weekend. “Fires and earthquakes and tornadoes! Ugh! When’s the last time you watched the news? Have you seen the kinds of things that happen to them? Burglaries and homicides…” My teeth clenched together, and I was abruptly so infuriated by the idea of another human hurting her that I couldn’t breathe.

Good thing you don't need to breathe, then?

quote:

“Whoa, whoa! Hold up, there, kid. She lives in Forks, remember? So she gets rained on.” He shrugged.

“I think she has some serious bad luck, Emmett, I really do. Look at the evidence. Of all the places in the world she could go, she ends up in a town where vampires make up a significant portion of the population.”

“Yeah, but we’re vegetarians. So isn’t that good luck, not bad?”

“With the way she smells? Definitely bad. And then, more bad luck, the way she smells to me.” I glowered at my hands, hating them again.

Let's be real, vampires are way more common in this setting than you would think!

quote:

“Except that you have more self-control than just about anyone but Carlisle. Good luck again.”

“The van?”

“That was just an accident.”

“You should have seen it coming for her, Em, again and again. I swear, it was like she had some kind of magnetic pull.”

Even the characters can't explain the physics behind that scene!

quote:

“But you were there. That was good luck.”

“Was it? Isn’t this the worst luck any human could ever possibly have—to have a vampire fall in love with them?”

Emmett considered that quietly for a moment. He pictured the girl in his head, and found the image uninteresting. Honestly, I can’t really see the draw.

Same.

quote:

“Well, I can’t really see Rosalie’s allure, either,” I said rudely. “Honestly, she seems like more work than any pretty face is worth.”

Emmett chuckled. “I don’t suppose you’d tell me…”

“I don’t know what her problem is, Emmett,” I lied with a sudden, wide grin.

I saw his intent in time to brace myself. He tried to shove me off the rock, and there was a loud cracking sound as a fissure opened in the stone between us.

“Cheater,” he muttered.

Did he shove downward? What the gently caress is going on with the physics in Forks?

quote:

I waited for him to try another time, but his thoughts took a different direction. He was picturing Bella’s face again, but imagining it whiter, imagining her eyes bright red.

“No,” I said, my voice strangled.

“It solves your worries about mortality, doesn’t it? And then you wouldn’t want to kill her, either. Isn’t that the best way?”

“For me? Or for her?”

“For you,” he answered easily. His tone added the of course.

I laughed humorlessly. “Wrong answer.”

Oh just you wait!

quote:

“I didn’t mind so much,” he reminded me.

“Rosalie did.”

He sighed. We both knew that Rosalie would do anything, give up anything, if it meant she could be human again. Anything. Even Emmett.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. Remember that great Rosalie scene I mentioned that's coming up? From the new text? That scene directly states the opposite. Rosalie would give anything to be human again, but can't stand the thought of having not met Emmett if things turned out differently. Meyer's editing is so sloppy that she's contradicting herself in the name of making GBS threads on Rosalie.

quote:

“Yeah, Rose did,” he acquiesced quietly.

“I can’t… I shouldn’t… I’m not going to ruin Bella’s life. Wouldn’t you feel the same if it were Rosalie?”

Emmett thought about that for a moment. You really… love her?

“I can’t even describe it, Em. All of a sudden, this girl’s the whole world to me. I don’t see the point of the rest of the world without her anymore.”

The girl that you've talked to a handful of times, almost always negatively.

quote:

But you won’t change her? She won’t last forever, Edward.

“I know that,” I groaned.

And, as you’ve pointed out, she’s sort of breakable.

“Trust me—that I know, too.”

Emmett was not a tactful person, and delicate discussions were not his forte. He struggled now, wanting very much not to be offensive.

Unlike you, who is the most offensive person in the family.

quote:

Can you even touch her? I mean, if you love her… wouldn’t you want to, well, touch her?

Emmett and Rosalie shared an intensely physical love. He had a hard time understanding how one could love without that aspect.

Meyer writes about sex like a 13-year-old virgin afraid to say the word.

quote:

I sighed. “I can’t even think of that, Emmett.”

Wow. So what are your options, then?

“I don’t know,” I whispered. “I’m trying to figure out a way to… to leave her. I just can’t fathom how to make myself stay away.”

With a deep sense of gratification, I suddenly realized that it was right for me to stay—at least for now, with Peter and Charlotte on their way. She was safer with me here, temporarily, than she would be if I were gone. For the moment, I could be her unlikely protector.

The thought made me anxious. I itched to be back so that I could fill that role for as long as possible.

Maybe you should reconsider having friends who are prone to eating people?

quote:

Emmett noticed the change in my expression. What are you thinking about?

“Right now,” I admitted a bit sheepishly, “I’m dying to run back to Forks and check on her. I don’t know if I’ll make it to Sunday night.”

“Uh-uh! You are not going home early. Let Rosalie cool down a little bit. Please! For my sake.”

She's probably already set up a gasoline trap on the path to the house for him.

quote:

“I’ll try to stay,” I said doubtfully.

Emmett tapped the phone in my pocket. “Alice would call if there were any basis for your panic attack. She’s as weird about this girl as you are.”

I couldn’t argue with that. “Fine. But I’m not staying past Sunday.”

“There’s no point in hurrying back—it’s going to be sunny, anyway. Alice said we were free from school until Wednesday.”

I shook my head rigidly.

What does it say about your plot when the guy who's supposed to be an insensitive meathead jock is one of the most sane and normal ones in the family?

quote:

“Peter and Charlotte know how to behave themselves.”

“I really don’t care, Emmett. With Bella’s luck, she’ll go wandering off into the woods at exactly the wrong moment and—” I flinched. “I’m going back Sunday.”

Emmett sighed. Exactly like a crazy person.

Another telling deletion: the original manuscript had Edward specifically point out that Peter has so little self-control that he's notorious for it. Not exactly the kind of guy we should be rooting for as a good guy!

quote:

Bella was sleeping peacefully when I climbed up to her bedroom window early Monday morning. I’d brought oil to grease the mechanism—entirely surrendering to that particular devil—and the window now moved silently out of my way.

Yes, this motherfucker just brought WD-40 to help in his stalking.

quote:

I could tell by the way her hair lay smooth across the pillow that she’d had a less restless night than the last time I was here. She had her hands folded under her cheek like a small child, and her mouth was slightly open. I could hear her breath moving slowly in and out between her lips.

This is not getting better!

quote:

It was an amazing relief to be here, to be able to see her again. I realized that I wasn’t truly at ease unless that was the case. Nothing was right when I was away from her.

Not that all was right when I was with her, either. I sighed and then inhaled, letting the thirst-fire rake down my throat. I’d been away from it too long. The time spent without pain and temptation made it all the more forceful now. It was bad enough that I was afraid to go kneel beside her bed so that I could read the titles of her books. I wanted to know the stories in her head, but I was afraid of more than my thirst, afraid that if I let myself get that close to her, I would want to be closer still.

Her lips looked very soft and warm. I could imagine touching them with the tip of my finger. Just lightly…

Oh God this is worse than I imagined.

quote:

That was exactly the kind of mistake I had to avoid.

My eyes ran over her face again and again, examining it for changes. Mortals changed all the time—I was anxious at the thought of missing anything.

I thought she looked… tired. As though she hadn’t gotten enough sleep this weekend. Had she gone out?

I had to go back to the first book to figure out where we were in the timeline because there's some unstated time skips. All of Bella going to La Push for the first time, falling asleep with Linkin Park screaming in her ears fully dressed with the lights on, and then spending the weekend researching vampires and wandering around the forest to contemplate the plot took place during Edward's piano playing and hunting with Emmett.

quote:

I laughed silently and wryly at how much that upset me. So what if she had? I didn’t own her. She wasn’t mine.

Nice of you to find out after growling and hissing and fantasizing about murdering anyone else who looks at her!

quote:

No, she wasn’t mine—and I was sad again.

This is one of the worst lines in the series.

quote:

“Mom,” she murmured quietly. “No… let me. Please…”

The stress mark between her brows, shaped like a small v, was etched deep. Whatever Bella’s mother was doing in her dream, it clearly worried her. She rolled suddenly to her other side, but her eyelids never flickered.

“Yes, yes,” she muttered, and then sighed. “Ugh. It’s too green.”

One of her hands twitched, and I noticed that there were shallow, barely healed scrapes across the heel of her palm. She’d been hurt? Even though it was obviously not a serious injury, it still disturbed me. I considered the location and decided she must have tripped. That seemed a reasonable explanation, all things considered.

Also, shouldn't he be smelling her blood more now if there's fresh scrapes?

quote:

She pleaded with her mother a few more times, mumbled something about the sun, then slipped into a quieter sleep and did not move again.

It was comforting to think that I wouldn’t have to puzzle over any of these small mysteries forever. We were friends now—or, at least, trying to be friends. I could ask her about her weekend—about the beach, and whatever late-night activity had made her look so weary. I could ask what had happened to her hands. And I could laugh a little when she confirmed my theory about them.

Right, you're such great friends! The day that you decided to try it and Bella accepted only because of her own obsession, you capped the day off by physically abusing her and having her leave insulted in a huff!

quote:

I smiled gently as I wondered whether she had fallen in the ocean. I wondered if she’d had a pleasant time on the outing. I wondered if she’d thought about me at all. If she’d missed me even the tiniest portion of the amount that I’d missed her.

Oh she was just stressing over finding out you were probably a vampire. No big deal.

quote:

I tried to picture her in the sun on the beach. The picture was incomplete, though, because I’d never been to First Beach myself. I only knew how it looked from pictures.

I felt a tiny qualm of unease as I thought about the reason I’d never once been to the pretty beach located just a short run from my home. Bella had spent the day at La Push—a place where I was forbidden, by treaty, to go. A place where a few old men still remembered the stories about the Cullens, remembered and believed them. A place where our secret was known.

I shook my head. I had nothing to worry about there. The Quileutes were bound by treaty, too. Even had Bella run into one of those aging sages, they could reveal nothing. And why would the subject ever be broached? No—the Quileutes were perhaps the one thing I did not have to worry about.

Is there any possibility that some kid who's heard about the legends would tell Bella all the exposition she needs while laughing about how it's totally fake?

Nah.

quote:

I was angry with the sun when it began to rise. It reminded me that I could not satisfy my curiosity for days to come. Why did it choose to shine now?

With a sigh, I ducked out her window before it was light enough for anyone to see me here. I meant to stay in the thick forest by her house and see her off to school, but when I got into the trees, I was surprised to find the trace of her scent lingering on the narrow pathway there.

I followed it quickly, curiously, becoming more and more worried as it led deeper into the darkness. What had Bella been doing out here?

Why would you be worried? You just saw her in bed.

quote:

The trail she’d left stopped abruptly, in the middle of nowhere in particular. She’d gone just a few steps off the path, into the ferns, where she’d touched the trunk of a fallen tree. Perhaps sat there…

I sat where she had and looked around. All she would have been able to see was ferns and forest. It had probably been raining—the scent was washed out, having never set deeply into the tree.

Why would Bella have come to sit here alone—and she had been alone, no doubt about that—in the middle of the wet, murky forest? It made no sense, and unlike those other points of curiosity, I could hardly bring this up in casual conversation.

There's no reason for him to be so obsessed with this mystery unless Bella is so obviously not into anything but sitting quietly and reading that the thought of her trying to take a walk through the forest is bizarre.

quote:

So, Bella, I was following your scent through the woods after I left your room—just some minor breaking and entering, no need for worry, I was… exterminating spiders.… Yes, that would be quite the icebreaker.

I really wish he said this now.

quote:

I would never know what she’d been thinking and doing here, and that had my teeth grinding in frustration. Worse, this was far too much like the scenario I’d imagined for Emmett—Bella wandering alone in the woods, where her scent would call to anyone who had the senses to track it.

I groaned. She didn’t just have bad luck, she courted it.

Well, for this moment she had a protector. I would watch over her, keep her from harm, for as long as I could justify it.

I suddenly found myself wishing that Peter and Charlotte would make an extended stay.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 18, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 8: Ghost

quote:

I did not see much of Jasper's guests for the sunny two days that they were in Forks. I only went home at all so that Esme wouldn’t worry. Otherwise, my existence seemed like that of a specter rather than a vampire. I hovered, invisible in the shadows, where I could follow the object of my love and obsession—where I could see her and hear her in the minds of the lucky humans who could walk through the sunlight beside her, sometimes accidentally brushing the back of her hand with their own. She never reacted to such contact; their hands were just as warm as hers.

The Stalking Chapter!

quote:

The enforced absence from school had never been a trial like this before. But the sun seemed to make her happy, so I could not resent it too much.

Monday morning, I eavesdropped on a conversation that had the potential to destroy my confidence and make the time spent away from her truly torturous. As it ended up, though, it rather made my day.

I had to feel some little respect for Mike Newton. He had more courage than I’d given him credit for. He had not simply given up and slunk away to nurse his wounds—he was going to try again.

Yeah, only because he doesn't know you barely keep yourself from killing him over it!

quote:

Bella got to school quite early and, seeming intent on enjoying the sun while it lasted, sat at one of the seldom-used picnic benches while she waited for the first bell to ring. Her hair caught the sun in unexpected ways, giving off a reddish shine that I had not anticipated.

I'm sure the author did.

quote:

Mike found her there, doodling again, and was thrilled at his good luck.

It was agonizing only to be able to watch, powerless, bound to the forest’s shadows by the bright sunlight.

The reason Edward reads Shakespeare so much is presumably because he thinks he's a Shakespearean character and has to spend all of his time monologuing to himself in the shadows while watching people.

quote:

She greeted him with enough enthusiasm to make him ecstatic, and me the opposite.

See, she likes me. She wouldn’t smile like that if she didn’t. I bet she wanted to go to the dance with me. Wonder what’s so important in Seattle.…

Notice how Edward gets to jump to similar conclusions about Bella and their "friendship" when their interactions are almost all creepy or antagonistic, but Mike conveniently tells the reader that he's an idiot misinterpreting her signals so you can hate him!

quote:

He perceived the change in her hair. “I never noticed before—your hair has red in it.”

I accidentally uprooted the young spruce tree my hand was resting on when he pinched a strand of her hair between his fingers.

This boy is living in a cringe comedy and doesn't know it.

quote:

“Only in the sun,” she said. To my deep satisfaction, she cringed away from him slightly when he tucked the strand behind her ear.

It took Mike a minute to build up his courage, wasting some time on small talk.

She reminded him of the essay we all had due on Wednesday. From the faintly smug expression on her face, hers was already done. He’d forgotten altogether, and that severely diminished his free time.

Finally he got to the point—my teeth were clenched so hard they could have pulverized granite—and even then, he couldn’t make himself ask the question outright.

Edward, please calm down. You're scaring the squirrels.

quote:

“I was going to ask if you wanted to go out.”

“Oh,” she said.

There was a brief silence.

“Oh”? What does that mean? Is she going to say yes? Wait—I guess I didn’t really ask.

He swallowed hard.

“Well, we could go to dinner or something… and I could work on it later.”

Stupid—that wasn’t a question either.

“Mike…”

The agony and fury of my jealousy was every whit as powerful as it had been last week. I wanted so badly to race across the campus, too fast for human eyes, and snatch her up—to steal her away from the boy I hated so much in this moment I could have killed him for no reason but to enjoy it.

Okay, why the gently caress are we supposed to like this guy? Seriously. How loving deranged is Stephenie Meyer that she thinks this is a normal thing for people to do when they're madly in love?

Because there's a really big loving difference between one of us envisioning throwing someone through a wall or tearing them limb from limb, and Edward doing it. He's not only capable of it, he almost did in the first chapter! It's not an idle fantasy. It's the mind of a psychopath. This is basically a school shooter romance where the male has declared the female his property and wants to do bodily harm to anyone else for even looking at her.

quote:

Would she say yes to him?

“I don’t think that would be the best idea.”

I breathed again. My rigid body relaxed.

Seattle was just an excuse, after all. Shouldn’t have asked. What was I thinking? Bet it’s that freak, Cullen.

“Why?” he asked sullenly.

“I think…” She hesitated. “And if you ever repeat what I’m saying right now, I will cheerfully beat you to death—”

I laughed out loud at the sound of a death threat coming through her lips. A jay shrieked, startled, and launched itself away from me.

Re-read Twilight and realize that during the latter half of chapter 7, Edward was just watching Bella from afar, scaring animals and destroying trees.

quote:

“But I think that would hurt Jessica’s feelings.”

“Jessica?” What? But… oh. Okay. I guess… huh.

His thoughts were no longer coherent.

Because normal, everyday thoughts are coherent and not just snippets of songs and words cycling through people's heads?

quote:

“Really, Mike, are you blind?”

I echoed her sentiment. She shouldn’t expect everyone to be as perceptive as she was, but really this instance was beyond obvious. With as much trouble as Mike had had working himself up to ask Bella out, did he imagine it wasn’t just as difficult for Jessica? It must be selfishness that made him blind to others. And Bella was so unselfish, she saw everything.

This bizarre rhapsodizing about Bella's unselfishness is another tumor left from the original draft, where Bella was never shown doing anything except what we saw in the pages of the original book and Meyer apparently decided the best way to get her meaning across was to have Edward get totally fixated on this detail and bring it up all the time.

quote:

Jessica. Huh. Wow. Huh. “Oh,” he managed to say.

Bella used his confusion to make her exit. “It’s time for class, and I can’t be late again.”

Mike became an unreliable viewpoint from then on. He found, as he turned the idea of Jessica around in his head, that he rather liked the thought of her finding him attractive. It was second place, not as good as if Bella had felt that way.

She’s cute, though, I guess. Decent body—bigger boobs than Bella’s. A bird in the hand…

Is worth yours in her bush?

quote:

He was off then, on to new fantasies that were just as vulgar as the ones about Bella, but now they only irritated rather than infuriated. How little he deserved either girl; they were almost interchangeable to him. I stayed clear of his head after that.

Interchangeable, like almost the entire cast of the latter third of Breaking Dawn?

quote:

When Bella was out of sight, I curled up against the cool trunk of an enormous madrone tree and danced from mind to mind, keeping her in view, always glad when Angela Weber was available to look through. I wished there were some way to thank the Weber girl for simply being a nice person. It made me feel better to think that Bella had one friend worth having.

I watched Bella’s face from whichever angle I was given, and I could see that she was upset about something. This surprised me—I thought the sun would be enough to keep her smiling. At lunch, I saw her glance time and time again toward the empty Cullen table, and that thrilled me. Perhaps she missed me, too.

After school, she had plans to go out with the other girls—I automatically planned my own surveillance—but these were postponed when Mike invited Jessica out on the date he’d designed for Bella.

Normal things good people do: plan out surveillance operations on their crushes.

quote:

So I went straight to her home instead, doing a quick sweep of the woods to make sure no one dangerous had wandered too close. I knew Jasper had warned his one-time brother to avoid the town—citing my insanity as both explanation and danger—but I wasn’t taking any chances. Peter and Charlotte had no intention of causing animosity with my family, but intentions were changeable things.

All right, I was overdoing it. I knew that.

Thank you, Jasper.

quote:

As if she was aware I was watching, as if she took pity on the agony I felt when I couldn’t see her, Bella came out to the backyard after a long hour indoors. She had a book in her hand and a blanket under her arm.

Silently, I climbed into the higher branches of the closest tree overlooking the yard. She spread the blanket on the damp grass and then lay on her stomach and started flipping through the worn, obviously often-read book, trying to find her place. I read over her shoulder.

Ah—more classics. Sense and Sensibility. She was an Austen fan.

Unfortunately, she lacks both.

quote:

I tasted the way the sunshine and open air affected her scent. The heat seemed to sweeten the smell. My throat flamed with desire, the pain fresh and fierce again because I had been away from her for so long. I spent a moment controlling that, forcing myself to breathe through my nose.

Isn't it great going back to the original chapter 7 and reading it with the knowledge that Edward is literally hanging over her head the whole time acting like a Mormon repressing his boner?

quote:

She read quickly, crossing and recrossing her ankles in the air. I knew the book, so I did not read along with her. Instead, I was watching the sunlight and wind playing in her hair when her body suddenly stiffened, and her hand froze on the page. She’d reached the last page of chapter two. The page began midsentence: “perhaps, in spite of every consideration of politeness or maternal affection on the side of the former, the two ladies might have found it impossible to have lived together so long—”

She grabbed a thick section of the book and shoved it roughly over, almost as if something on the page had angered her. But what? It was early in the story, just setting up the first conflict between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. The main hero, Edward Ferrars, was introduced. Elinor Dashwood’s merits were extolled. I thought through the previous chapter, searching for something potentially offensive in Austen’s overly polite prose. What could have upset her?

She stopped on the title page for Mansfield Park. Beginning a new story—the book was a compilation of novels.

But she’d only made it to page seven—I was following along this time; Mrs. Norris was detailing the danger of Tom and Edmund Bertram not encountering their cousin Fanny Price until they were all adults—when Bella’s teeth ground together and she slammed the book shut.

Taking a deep breath as if to calm herself, she tossed the book aside and rolled onto her back. She pushed her sleeves up her forearms, exposing more of her skin to the sun.

Why would she have reacted thus to what was obviously a familiar story? Another mystery. I sighed.

Romeo watching Juliet on the balcony, he is not.

quote:

She lay very still now, moving just once to yank her hair away from her face. It fanned out over her head, a river of chestnut. And then she was motionless again.

In a very rare instance, there's actually most of a page that Meyer cut from her original draft! There's a brief interlude where Edward spies on the thoughts of random neighbors. It added basically nothing to the book.

quote:

She made a very serene picture, there in the sunlight. Whatever peace had evaded her before seemed to find her now. Her breathing slowed. After several long minutes her lips began to tremble. Mumbling in her sleep.

I felt an uncomfortable spasm of guilt. Because what I was doing now was not precisely good, but it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as my nightly pursuits. I wasn’t technically even trespassing now—the base of this tree grew from the next lot over—let alone doing something more felonious. But I knew that when night came, I would continue to do wrong.

"I'm on someone else's property stalking her, so technically it's legal!"

quote:

Even now, part of me wanted to trespass. To jump to the ground, landing silently on my toes, and ease into her circle of sunshine. Just to be closer to her. To hear her murmured words as though she was whispering them to me.

It wasn’t my unreliable morality that held me back—it was the thought of myself in the sun’s glare. Bad enough that my skin was stone and inhuman in shadow; I didn’t want to look at Bella and myself side by side in the sunlight. The difference between us was already insurmountable, painful enough without that image also in my head. Could I be any more grotesque? I imagined her terror if she opened her eyes and saw me there beside her.

Yes, that's what Edward considers the most monstrous and grotesque aspect of him: sparkling. Not the stalking, physical abuse, or fantasies of murdering children. Sparkling.

This is also a case where she made a major edit, lengthening the paragraph of him agonizing over sparkling. The original was somehow even more embarrassing, specifically calling out the "rainbow sparkles" as inciting terror.

quote:

“Mmm…,” she moaned.

I leaned back against the tree trunk, deeper into shadow.

She sighed. “Mmm.”

Another change, for both clarity and making Edward slightly less of a creep: in the original, he didn't read over her shoulder and see what she was reacting to. Instead he casually stole the book from her to flip through.

quote:

I did not fear that she had woken. Her voice was just a low, wistful murmur.

“Edmund. Ahh.”

Edmund? I thought again of where she’d quit reading. Just as Edmund Bertram had been named for the first time.

Ha! She wasn’t dreaming of me at all, I realized blackly. The self-loathing returned in force. She was dreaming of fictional characters. Perhaps that had always been the case, and all along her dreams had been filled with Hugh Grant in a cravat. So much for my conceit.

And that's where the book ends! Goodnight, everybody!

quote:

She said nothing more that was intelligible. The afternoon passed and I watched, feeling helpless again, as the sun slowly sank in the sky and the shadows crawled across the lawn toward her. I wanted to push them back, but of course the darkness was inevitable; the shadows took her. When the light was gone, her skin looked too pale—ghostly. Her hair was dark again, almost black against her face.

It was a frightening thing to watch—like witnessing Alice’s visions come to fruition. Bella’s steady, strong heartbeat was the only reassurance, the sound that kept this moment from feeling like a nightmare.

Get a hobby.

quote:

I was relieved when her father arrived home.

I could hear little from him as he drove down the street toward the house. Some vague annoyance… in the past, something from his day at work. Expectation mixed with hunger—I guessed that he was looking forward to dinner. But his thoughts were so quiet and contained that I could not be sure I was right. I only got the gist of them.

I wondered what her mother sounded like—what the genetic combination had been that had formed her so uniquely.

Oh, you'll find out!

quote:

Bella started awake, jerking up to a sitting position when the tires of her father’s car hit the brick driveway. She stared around herself, seeming confused by the unexpected darkness. For one brief moment, her eyes touched the shadows where I hid, but then flickered quickly away.

“Charlie?” she asked in a low voice, still peering into the trees surrounding the small yard.

The door of his car slammed shut, and she looked to the sound. She got to her feet quickly and gathered her things, casting one more look back toward the woods.

When in fact Edward is hanging like a spider monkey directly above her.

quote:

I moved into a tree closer to the back window near the small kitchen, and listened to their evening. It was interesting to compare Charlie’s words to his muffled thoughts. His love and concern for his only child were nearly overwhelming, and yet his words were always terse and casual. Most of the time, they sat in companionable silence.

I heard her discuss her plans to go shopping the following evening in Port Angeles with Jessica and Angela, and I refined my own plans as I listened. Jasper had not warned Peter and Charlotte to stay clear of Port Angeles. Though I knew that they had fed recently and had no intention of hunting anywhere in the vicinity of our home, I would watch her, just in case. After all, there were always others of my kind out there. And, of course, all those human dangers that I had never much considered before now.

This ties back in to how awful the Cullens were in Breaking Dawn with their guests. Despite knowing that vampires don't have to drink human blood or feed very often, and knowing the tendency of them to gorge on as many humans as possible (the backstory of people like Garrett and Carlisle has the vampires simply eating as many people as possible in a frenzy), the most concession they'll ever go for with a "friend" is to simply not hunt in Forks. A town only an hour or two away? Go hog wild! They don't give a poo poo!

quote:

I heard her worry aloud about leaving her father to prepare dinner alone, and smiled at this proof to my theory—yes, she was the caretaker here, too.

And then I left, knowing I would return while she was asleep, ignoring every ethical and moral argument against my behavior.

But I certainly would not trespass on her privacy the way the peeping tom would have. I was here for her protection, not to leer at her in the way Mike Newton no doubt would, were he agile enough to move through the treetops. I would not treat her so crassly.

This is probably the absolute nadir of Edward's justifications. "I know it's wrong to stalk her and break into her room, but Mike Newton would be so much worse if he was doing it!"

You know what the problem is, Edward? Mike Newton isn't doing it!

quote:

My house was empty when I returned, which was fine by me. I didn’t miss the confused or disparaging thoughts, questioning my sanity. Emmett had left a note stuck to the newel post.

Football at the Rainier field—c’mon! Please?

Emmett is such a bro.

quote:

I found a pen and scrawled the word sorry beneath his plea. The teams were even without me, in any case.

I went for the shortest of hunting trips, contenting myself with the smaller, gentler creatures that did not taste as good as the other predators, and then changed into fresh clothes before I ran back to Forks.

Bella did not sleep as well tonight. She thrashed in her blankets, her face sometimes worried, sometimes forlorn. I wondered what nightmare haunted her… and then realized that perhaps I didn’t really want to know.

When she spoke, she mostly muttered derogatory things about Forks in a glum voice. Only once, when she sighed out the words “Come back” and her hand twitched open—a wordless plea—did I have a chance to hope she might be dreaming of me.

The next day of school, the last day the sun would hold me prisoner, was much the same as the day before. Bella seemed even gloomier than yesterday, and I wondered if she would bow out of her plans—she didn’t seem in the mood. But, being Bella, she would probably put her friends’ enjoyment above her own.

Oh yeah, I also hope you weren't looking for too much new Twilight content for the first third of the book. The remainder, written after the incomplete first draft, has much more of that. This chapter is literally just chapter 7 of the original book with Edward staring at Bella the entire time.

quote:

She wore a deep blue blouse today, and the color set her skin off perfectly, making it look like fresh cream.

School ended, and Jessica agreed to pick the other girls up.

I went home to get my car. When I found that Peter and Charlotte were there, I decided I could afford to give the girls an hour or so as a head start. It would have been a struggle to follow them, driving at the speed limit—hideous thought.

"You humans and your laws. Did you not know that I, the great vampire, am above all?"

quote:

Everyone was gathered in the bright great room. Peter and Charlotte both noticed my abstraction as I belatedly welcomed them, apologizing halfheartedly for my absence, kissing her cheek and shaking his hand. I was unable to concentrate enough to join the group conversation. As soon I as could politely extricate myself, I drifted to the piano and began playing quietly.

What a strange creature, the Alice-sized, white-blond Charlotte was thinking. And he was so normal and pleasant the last time we met.

Even the new vampires can't help but bully Edward! This is another example of Meyer trying to make Edward behave more humanly and less of an rear end in a top hat: in the original draft, he didn't even bother coming in for a greeting and small talk. He just gave a nod and marched straight to the piano.

quote:

Peter’s thoughts were in sync with hers, as was usually the case.

It must be the animals. The lack of human blood drives them mad eventually, he was concluding. His hair was just as fair as hers, and almost as long. They were very similar—except for size, as he was nearly as tall as Emmett. A well-matched pair, I’d always thought.

Hm. That's odd. What did Peter and Charlotte look like in Breaking Dawn?

While the draft of Midnight Sun existed with Peter and Charlotte's descriptions at the time of filming, Breaking Dawn had none. They were generic, interchangeable characters like all of the vampires who didn't have specific ethnicities that could easily stereotype them. Outside of the film continuity, this is the first time we really see them. And of course, they're creepily identical.

But this creates another problem. Peter was part of the vampires changed by Maria for her army...in Mexico. Jasper was the odd man out by being a Texan caught at the border, but there's no indication that Peter was anything else. But of course, Meyer can't have any ethnics in her book that aren't just stereotypes, and didn't you know becoming a vampire makes you a white person anyway? So Peter and Charlotte are basically Aryan ideals.

The note about Peter thinking the lack of human blood drives vampires mad is also something that would be perfect....in another book. Throughout all of the previous books, it was a complete mystery why it was so hard for vampires to switch to animal blood. It didn't seem particularly disgusting or do anything but make you slightly less powerful than people eaters, so you'd think more vampires would maintain their morality enough to not be murderous. Peter here is actually giving a great excuse: they think that subsisting on animals will drive you insane over the years.

This would have given all of the other vamps (especially the Volturi) plenty of motivation to legitimately stick with killing humans, believing that it really was the only way they could truly survive, but that would have just made it too hard for the Cullens to be the perfect sparkling Mormons that are hated only by the most evil and callous of vampires.

quote:

Why even bother coming home? Rosalie sneered.

Ah, Edward. I hate to see him suffering so. Esme’s joy was becoming corrupted by her concern. She should be concerned. This love story she envisioned for me was careening toward tragedy more perceptibly every moment.

No concern about Bella, huh?

quote:

Have fun in Port Angeles tonight, Alice thought cheerfully. Let me know when I’m allowed to talk to Bella.

You’re pathetic. I can’t believe you missed the game last night just to watch somebody sleep, Emmett grumbled.

Thank you, Emmett!

quote:

Everyone but Esme stopped thinking about me after a moment, and I kept my playing subdued so that I would not attract notice.

I did not pay attention to them for a long while, just letting the music distract me from my unease. It was never not distressing to have the girl out of sight. I only returned my focus to their conversation when the goodbyes grew more final.

“If you see Maria again,” Jasper was saying, a little warily, “tell her I wish her well.”

Maria was the vampire who had created both Jasper and Peter—Jasper in the latter half of the nineteenth century, Peter more recently, in the nineteen forties. She’d looked Jasper up once when we were in Calgary. It had been an eventful visit—we’d had to move immediately. Jasper had politely asked her to keep her distance in the future.

This is a major mistake that Meyer left in. I actually got a copy of the Illustrated Guide to check. Canonically, Peter was turned between the 1860s and 1920s and it's estimated to be 1938 when he returned to tell Jasper to flee Maria and live up north. It was only 1948 when Jasper met Alice, in a diner in Philadelphia where her future vision told her to meet him.

Also, I really want to read whatever happened in Calgary more than I want to read this.

quote:

“I don’t imagine we’ll cross paths soon,” Peter said with a laugh—Maria was undeniably dangerous and there was not much love lost between her and Peter. Peter had, after all, been instrumental in Jasper’s defection. Jasper had always been Maria’s favorite; she considered it a minor detail that she had once planned to kill him. “But, should it happen, I certainly will.”

They were shaking hands then, preparing to depart. I let the song I was playing trail off to an unsatisfying end and got hastily to my feet.

Oh, like Meyer writes?

quote:

“Charlotte, Peter,” I said, nodding.

“It was nice to see you again, Edward,” Charlotte said doubtfully. Peter just nodded in return.

Madman, Emmett threw after me.

Idiot, Rosalie thought at the same time.

Rosalie and Emmett are the true perfect couple of this series.

quote:

Poor boy. Esme.

And Alice, in a chiding tone. They’re going straight east, to Seattle. Nowhere near Port Angeles. She showed me the proof in her visions.

I pretended I hadn’t heard that. My excuses were already flimsy enough.

Once in my car, I felt more relaxed. The robust purr of the engine Rosalie had boosted for me—last year, when she was in a better mood—was soothing. It was a relief to be in motion, to know that I was getting closer to Bella with every mile that flew away under my tires.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Mervin of Das Sporking tried doing her own version of Midnight Sun that tried to present Edward's entire backstory, starting back in the 1930s, and presenting him as truly tragic and flawed. Unfortunately I didn't get past the second chapter because it overemphasized Edward being a permanent 17-year-old by having him turn into a crazy chronic masturbator because he's able to see and experience every single person having sex and their sexual thoughts around him at all times, including experiencing Esme and Carlisle's loving from both points of view when he's in the house so he knows what it's like to gently caress his mother and be hosed by his father.

You know I was gonna point out that Edward couldn't have choked his granite chicken or he would have lost the semen that impregnated Bella but then I remembered the brazilian dude vampire who knocked up a ton of native women to see what would happen didn't have to save his jizz up from when he was alive so I guess this could be feasible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Victorkm posted:

You know I was gonna point out that Edward couldn't have choked his granite chicken or he would have lost the semen that impregnated Bella but then I remembered the brazilian dude vampire who knocked up a ton of native women to see what would happen didn't have to save his jizz up from when he was alive so I guess this could be feasible.

You know, I'm starting to see some flaws with Meyer's vampire biology here.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I meant to post this a lot sooner but characters like Rose having agency is a long-time trope. The “other woman” having the gall to make her own decisions and impact her life is against All that is Good and Right, which is why she’s Punished by not getting to have babies. I’m reminded of Victorian/Pulp era cowboy stories where women who adopt men’s clothing and attitudes to hunt down a man who did them wrong end up dead at the end of the narrative because she decided she was done wearing dresses.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I meant to post this a lot sooner but characters like Rose having agency is a long-time trope. The “other woman” having the gall to make her own decisions and impact her life is against All that is Good and Right, which is why she’s Punished by not getting to have babies. I’m reminded of Victorian/Pulp era cowboy stories where women who adopt men’s clothing and attitudes to hunt down a man who did them wrong end up dead at the end of the narrative because she decided she was done wearing dresses.
Agreed, this line really stood out to me:

quote:

He sighed. We both knew that Rosalie would do anything, give up anything, if it meant she could be human again. Anything. Even Emmett.

That's awesome. Finally, a woman in these books that wants someone other than a man. Granted, the reason she wants to be human is to have a proper little nuclear family, but it's refreshing to see someone not completely satisfied in Mormon heaven. Emmett's a nice dude and definitely her best option, but he's not her soulmate. She loves him, but she'd leave him to follow her dream. To Meyer that makes her a selfish bitch, but to me that makes her the most interesting character by far.

TW for discussing Rose's backstory:

I also have to point out that Meyer making fun of how obsessed Rose is over her beauty is pretty loving sick after she was gang-raped to death. What the gently caress, Meyer? If a woman who went through that trauma finally healed to the point where she's okay with her body and proud of it again, you should be throwing her a loving parade! Not going on and on about how vain and vapid she is! Jesus christ.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hyperhazard posted:

That's awesome. Finally, a woman in these books that wants someone other than a man. Granted, the reason she wants to be human is to have a proper little nuclear family, but it's refreshing to see someone not completely satisfied in Mormon heaven. Emmett's a nice dude and definitely her best option, but he's not her soulmate. She loves him, but she'd leave him to follow her dream. To Meyer that makes her a selfish bitch, but to me that makes her the most interesting character by far.

TW for discussing Rose's backstory:

I also have to point out that Meyer making fun of how obsessed Rose is over her beauty is pretty loving sick after she was gang-raped to death. What the gently caress, Meyer? If a woman who went through that trauma finally healed to the point where she's okay with her body and proud of it again, you should be throwing her a loving parade! Not going on and on about how vain and vapid she is! Jesus christ.

Remember, Mormon. As a woman, you are nothing to be proud of. Your pride is your husband and your children. To put any pride in yourself, your qualities and deeds, is nothing but sinful arrogance and placing yourself before your family and God.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

In Rosalie's really good scene from the new text, this gets retconned. It turns out as much as Rose wants her humanity back, she's insecure that if she lost her supernaturally enhanced beauty that Emmett would reject her.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

In Rosalie's really good scene from the new text, this gets retconned. It turns out as much as Rose wants her humanity back, she's insecure that if she lost her supernaturally enhanced beauty that Emmett would reject her.

Of loving course.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

chitoryu12 posted:

How does this make any sense?! She was gang raped and left for DEAD because even as a human she was that super hot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So speaking as someone who's read the new text, as a non-Twilight fan, I'm a huge Rosalie/Emmett stan because of how much better their relationship is than so many others. Bella and Edward are the only ones to have an overtly crazy and abusive relationship, but Emmett and Rosalie feel so much more fulfilling to watch than the other "perfect" relationships because of their different personalities and how much they refuse to engage in drama. They both spend most of Midnight Sun making fun of Edward for being such a weird douchebag, even if Meyer's writing forces them to toe the party line, and they're characters who would be amazing fun to follow with a more competent writer. Emmett is a barrel of laughs who loves sports and roughhousing but is also a genius who can play 4D chess legitimately and always has the right plan, and Rosalie is an equally intelligent fashionista and top notch mechanic. With a serious writer, they'd be main characters instead of generic archetypes to bounce the protagonists off of; they seem to have little in common, but both are smart and witty and had an extremely emotional first meeting that would drive them together.

So even though the new text re-centers Rosalie to be more into her relationship than the original draft, I don't have a problem with it. Because compared to Bella and Edward, their relationship actually feels like one that should last for centuries outside of the crazy author's machinations and character assassination. The original text is seemingly meant to reinforce Rosalie as callous and selfish, to fit with how Bella is willing to give her own humanity up to join Edward in the eternal love of vampire marriage. The way the new text is written, it actually implies that Rose isn't as selfish as she was being pushed to be: she has something at stake other than herself and has found happiness in spite of what happened to her.

This is why I consider Meyer leaving the last of her characterization in to be so disgusting. I was honestly shocked at how much that new content seemed to be pushing her as a complex and likable character, but coming after the leftover original text slandering her as a jealous murderer of innocent kids. It was a whiplash that could only come from an author so dedicated to using Rosalie as a platform for her hatred and insecurity that she was unable to even give her a chance to be anything else.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
With a better author, I'd say we're purposely working with an unreliable narrator but...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 9: Port Angeles

quote:

It was too bright for me to drive into town when I got to Port Angeles. The sun was still high overhead, and though my windows were tinted dark enough to provide some protection, there was no reason to take unnecessary risks. More unnecessary risks, I should say.

You may ask yourself "But Stephenie, didn't Jasper and Alice specifically point out their tinted windows in Twilight as why they could drive around Phoenix in the daytime?"

Why yes, yes they did.

quote:

How condescendingly I’d once judged Emmett for his thoughtless ways and Jasper for his lack of discipline—and now I was consciously flouting all the rules with a wild abandon that made their lapses look like nothing at all. I used to be the responsible one.

I sighed.

This is actually a passage from the previous chapter in the original draft, when Edward is talking about how he's oh-so awful sneaking down from the tree to stare at Bella even closer and steal her book to look at what she was being dramatic about. I don't know why she moved it here.

quote:

I was certain I would be able to find Jessica’s thoughts from a distance—hers were louder than Angela’s, but once I found the first, I’d be able to hear the second. Then, when the shadows lengthened, I could get closer. Just outside the town, I pulled off the road onto an overgrown driveway that appeared to be infrequently used.

I knew the general direction to search in—there were not many places to shop for dresses in Port Angeles. It wasn’t long before I found Jessica, spinning in front of a three-way mirror, and I could see Bella in her peripheral vision, appraising the long black dress she wore.

So Edward's power is really strong. I showed Port Angeles when we did the first book, and the entire commercial district is one distinct T-shaped area with most of the shops clustered by the water. If Edward is stopping on the outskirts of town, he's reaching out probably hundreds of yards at a minimum to pinpoint individual minds.

quote:

Bella still looks pissed. Ha ha. Angela was right—Tyler was full of it. I can’t believe she’s so upset about it, though. At least she knows she has a backup date for the prom. What if Mike doesn’t have fun at the dance and doesn’t ask me out again? What if he asks Bella to the prom? Does he think she’s prettier than me? Does she think she’s prettier than me?

“I think I like the blue one better. It really brings out your eyes.”

Jessica smiled at Bella with false warmth while eyeing her suspiciously.

Does she really think that? Or does she want me to look like a cow on Saturday?

Not only do I not like the new Jessica being such a bitch, I have some concerns about the fanbase. Looking at fan reactions to Midnight Sun, I saw some people angry that Jessica was suddenly being framed as a false friend who secretly hated Bella the entire time because she's so shallow and stupid. But I also saw a shocking number of posts that were "I never liked Jessica anyway! Now we know what she was always like!"

Keep in mind that the original book is 15 years old by this point. Anyone who was a fan at the height of their popularity is an adult now, possibly in their 30s. You can go back to the previous books and see just how normal and non-threatening Jessica was in the actual text. But there are adult women who are somehow still holding on to hatred for a character who didn't really do anything bad on the page except be interested in boys and makeup.

quote:

I was already tired of listening to Jessica. I searched close by for Angela—ah, but Angela was in the process of changing dresses, and I skipped quickly out of her head to give her some privacy.

How kind of you to not spy on someone!

quote:

Well, there wasn’t much trouble Bella could get into in a department store. I’d let them shop and then catch up with them when they were done. It wouldn’t be long until dark—the clouds were beginning to return, drifting in from the west. I could only catch glimpses of them through the thick trees, but I could see how they would hurry the sunset. I welcomed them, craved them more than I had ever yearned for their shadows before. Tomorrow I could sit beside Bella in school again, monopolize her attention at lunch. I could ask her all the questions I’d been saving up.

So she was furious about Tyler’s presumption. I’d seen that in his head—that he’d meant it literally when he’d spoken of the prom, that he was staking a claim. I pictured her expression from that other afternoon—the outraged disbelief—and laughed. I wondered what she would say to him about this. Or perhaps she was more likely to pretend ignorance, to bluff and hope it would put him off? It would be interesting to see.

If you look at what's new content, you'll notice that Edward doesn't do the thing where he's constantly laughing at Bella any time she seems upset. That was part of his original characterization, where he was a smug sociopath who just grinned and taunted Bella for daring to think she had agency. Despite writing that out in the new text to try and make him seem like an awkward kid, she's still leaving enough in to make Edward an rear end in a top hat and give him a serious case of mood swings.

quote:

The time went slowly while I waited for the shadows to lengthen. I checked in periodically with Jessica; her mental voice was the easiest to find, but I didn’t like to linger there long. I saw the place they were planning to eat. It would be dark by dinnertime… maybe I would coincidentally choose the same restaurant. I touched the phone in my pocket, thinking of inviting Alice out to join me. She would love that, but she would also want to talk to Bella. I wasn’t sure if I was ready to have Bella more involved with my world. Wasn’t one vampire trouble enough?

Wouldn't Alice be able to see the results of any conversation before it happened and pick the least troublesome response each time?

quote:

I checked in routinely with Jessica again. She was thinking about her jewelry, asking Angela’s opinion.

“Maybe I should take the necklace back. I’ve got one at home that would probably work, and I spent more than I was supposed to.” My mom is going to freak out. What was I thinking?

“I don’t mind going back to the store. Do you think Bella will be looking for us, though?”

What was this? Bella wasn’t with them? I stared through Jessica’s eyes first, then switched to Angela’s. They were on the sidewalk in front of a line of shops, just turning back the other way. Bella was nowhere in sight.

Oh, who cares about Bella? Jess thought impatiently, before answering Angela’s question. “She’s fine. We’ll get to the restaurant in plenty of time, even if we go back. Anyway, I think she wanted to be alone.” I got a brief glimpse of the bookshop Jessica thought Bella had gone to.

Meyer is really beating the Jessica Hate Drum hard. If you go back to Bella's perspective of this chapter, she says that Jessica and Angela tried to come with her to the book store and she waved them off and encouraged them to leave her alone!

quote:

“Let’s hurry, then,” Angela said. I hope Bella doesn’t think we ditched her. She was so nice to me in the car before. But she’s seemed kind of blue all day. I wonder if it’s because of Edward Cullen? I’ll bet that was why she was asking about his family.

I should have been paying better attention. What had I missed here? Bella was off wandering by herself, and she’d been asking about me? Angela was paying attention to Jessica now—Jessica was babbling about that imbecile Mike—and I could get nothing more from her.

I judged the shadows. The sun would be behind the clouds soon enough. If I stayed on the west side of the road, where the buildings would shade the street from the fading light…

I started to feel anxious as I drove through the sparse traffic into the center of town. This wasn’t something I had considered—Bella setting off on her own—and I had no idea how to find her. I should have considered it.

How dare she go anywhere without your escort!

quote:

I knew Port Angeles well. I drove straight to the bookstore in Jessica’s head, hoping my search would be short, but doubting it would be so easy. When did Bella ever make it easy?

Sure enough, the little shop was empty except for the anachronistically dressed woman behind the counter. This didn’t look like the kind of place Bella would find interesting—too new age for a practical person. I wondered if she’d even bothered to go inside.

So why does Edward know Port Angeles so well? What shopping does he do there?

quote:

There was a patch of shade I could park in. It made a dark pathway right up to the awning of the shop. I really shouldn’t. Wandering around in the sunlit hours was not safe. What if a passing car threw the sun’s reflection on me at just the wrong moment?

But I didn’t know how else to look for Bella!

I love that he's so obsessed with how inhuman and monstrous his sparkling is that he treats even the briefest flash of it like one of the Black Pearl's crew from Pirates of the Caribbean turning into a skeleton in the moonlight.

quote:

I parked and got out, keeping to the side of deepest shadow. I strode quickly into the store, noting the faint trace of Bella’s scent in the air. She had been here, on the sidewalk, but there was no hint of her fragrance inside the shop.

“Welcome! Can I help—?” the saleswoman began to say, but I was already out the door.

Rude to the staff, too!

quote:

I followed Bella’s scent as far as the shade would allow, stopping when I got to the edge of the sunlight.

How powerless it made me feel—fenced in by the line between dark and light that stretched across the sidewalk in front of me.

I could only guess that she’d continued across the street, heading south. There wasn’t really much in that direction. Was she lost? Well, that possibility didn’t sound entirely out of character.

So lost, in fact, that closing her eyes and walking randomly would have gotten her closer to Jessica! If you look at the map of Port Angeles, you'll see that walking south is sending her in the clear opposite direction that she would have had to come from. It's so nonsensical, it's like trying to drive east to California and being surprised when you hit the Atlantic.

quote:

I got back in the car and drove slowly through the streets, looking for her. I stepped out into a few other patches of shadow, but only caught her scent once more, and the direction of it confused me. Where was she trying to go?

Her wandering is so nonsensical that there's not even an explanation for it!

quote:

I drove back and forth between the bookstore and the restaurant a few times, hoping to see her on her way. Jessica and Angela were already there, trying to decide whether to order or to wait for Bella. Jessica was pushing for ordering immediately.

I began flitting through the minds of strangers, looking through their eyes. Surely, someone must have seen her somewhere.

I got more and more anxious the longer she remained missing. I’d not considered before how difficult she might prove to find once, like now, she was out of my sight and off her normal paths.

The clouds were massing on the horizon, and in a few more minutes, I would be free to track her on foot. It wouldn’t take me long then. It was only the sun that made me so helpless now. Just a few more minutes, and then the advantage would be mine again and it would be the human world that was powerless.

That's definitely a thing nice, normal people who aren't serial killers say.

quote:

Another mind, and another. So many trivial thoughts.

… think the baby has another ear infection…

Was it six-four-oh or six-oh-four…?

Late again. I ought to tell him.…

Aha! Here she comes!

There, at last, was her face. Finally, someone had noticed her!

The relief lasted for only a fraction of a second, and then I read more fully the thoughts of the man who was gloating over her face where she hesitated in the shadows.

His mind was a stranger to me, and yet, not totally unfamiliar. I had once hunted exactly such minds.

“NO!” I roared, and a volley of snarls erupted from my throat. My foot shoved the gas pedal to the floor, but where was I going?

Edward just bolts off in a random direction in a rage.

quote:

I knew the general direction his thoughts came from, but the location was not specific enough. Something, there had to be something—a street sign, a storefront, something in his sightline that would give him away. But Bella was deep in shadow, and his eyes were focused only on her frightened expression—enjoying the fear there.

Her face was blurred in his mind by the memory of other faces. Bella was not his first victim.

The sound of my growls shook the frame of the car but did not distract me.

How loud is he loving growling to shake the frame? He must sound like he's driving past with a mongo bass rig cranked all the way up.

quote:

There were no windows in the wall behind her. Somewhere industrial, away from the more populated shopping district. My car squealed around a corner, swerving past another vehicle, heading in what I hoped was the right direction. By the time the other driver honked, the sound was far behind me.

Look at her shaking! The man chuckled in anticipation. The fear was the draw for him—the part he enjoyed.

“Stay away from me.” Her voice was low and steady, not a scream.

“Don’t be like that, sugar.”

He watched her flinch at a rowdy laugh that came from another direction. He was irritated with the noise—Shut up, Jeff! he thought—but he enjoyed the way she cringed. It excited him. He began to imagine her pleas, the way she would beg.…

loving Jeff, man.

quote:

I hadn’t realized that there were others with him until I’d heard the loud laughter. I scanned out from him, desperate for something that I could use. He was taking the first step in her direction, flexing his hands.

The minds around him were not the cesspool that his was. They were all slightly intoxicated, not one of them realizing how far the man they called Lanny planned to go with this. They were blindly following Lanny’s lead. He’d promised them a little fun.…

...Lanny?

In the original draft, his name was Lonnie. I have no idea why Meyer changed to something so dumb.

quote:

One of them glanced down the street, nervous—he didn’t want to get caught harassing the girl—and gave me what I needed. I recognized the cross street he stared toward.

I flew under a red light, sliding through a space just wide enough between two cars in the moving traffic. Horns blared behind me.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. I ignored it.

Lanny moved slowly toward the girl, drawing out the suspense—the moment of terror that aroused him. He waited for her scream, preparing to savor it.

Is this the first canon mention of an erection in Twilight?

quote:

But Bella locked her jaw and braced herself. He was surprised—he’d expected her to try to run. Surprised and slightly disappointed. He liked to chase his prey down, feel the adrenaline of the hunt.

Brave, this one. Maybe better, I guess—more fight in her.

I was a block away. The fiend could hear the roar of my engine now, but he paid it no attention, too intent on his victim.

I would see how he enjoyed the hunt when he was the prey. I would see what he thought of my style of hunting.

In another compartment of my head, I was already sorting through the horrors I’d borne witness to in my vigilante days, searching for the most painful of them. I had never tortured my prey, no matter how much they had deserved it, but this man was different. He would suffer for this. He would writhe in agony. The others would merely die for their part, but this creature named Lanny would beg for death long before I would give him that gift.

Yeah this is just a serial killer book.

quote:

He was in the road, crossing toward her.

I spun sharply around the corner, my headlights washing across the scene and freezing the rest of them in place. I could have run down the leader, who leaped out of the way, but that was too easy a death for him.

The only reason we didn't witness a brutal vehicular homicide reading Twilight was because Edward was feeling too sadistic!

quote:

I let the car spin out, swinging all the way around so that I was facing back the way I’d come and the passenger door was closest to Bella. I threw that open, and she was already running toward the car.

“Get in,” I snarled.

What the hell?

Knew this was a bad idea! She’s not alone.

Should I run?

Think I’m going to throw up.…

Bella jumped through the open door without hesitating, pulling it shut behind her.

And then she looked up at me with the most trusting expression I had ever seen on a human face, and all my violent plans crumbled.

What a shame.

quote:

It took much, much less than a second for me to see that I could not leave her in the car in order to deal with the four men in the street. What would I tell her, not to watch? Ha! When did she ever do what I asked?

Would I drag them away, out of her sight, and leave her alone here? It was a long shot that another psychopath would be prowling the streets of Port Angeles tonight, but it was a long shot that there was even a first! Here was proof positive that I was not insane—like a magnet, she drew all things dangerous toward herself. If I were not close enough to provide it, some other evil would take my place.

"If I leave her for a few seconds, what if another rapist just teleports behind her?!"

quote:

It would feel like part of the same motion to her as I accelerated, taking her away from her pursuers so quickly that they gaped after my car with uncomprehending expressions. She would not recognize my instant of hesitation.

I couldn’t even hit him with my car. That would frighten her.

I wanted his death so savagely that the need for it rang in my ears, clouded my sight, and was a bitter flavor on my tongue, stronger than the burn of my thirst. My muscles were coiled with the urgency, the craving, the necessity of it. I had to kill him. I would peel him slowly apart, piece by piece, skin from muscle, muscle from bone.…

"I just can't believe there would be a psychopath in Port Angeles tonight around Bella!"

quote:

Except that the girl—the only girl in the world—was clinging to her seat with both hands, staring at me, her eyes strangely calm and unquestioning. Vengeance would have to wait.

“Put on your seat belt,” I ordered. My voice was rough with the hate and bloodlust. Not the usual bloodlust. I had long been committed to abstaining from human blood, and I would not let this creature change that. This would be retribution only.

She locked the seat belt into place, jumping slightly at the sound it made. That little noise made her jump, yet she did not flinch as I tore through the town, ignoring all traffic guides. I could feel her eyes on me. She seemed oddly relaxed. It didn’t make sense—not with what had just happened to her.

“Are you okay?” she asked, her voice rough with stress and fear.

She wanted to know if I was okay?

Was I okay?

No.

quote:

“No,” I realized, and my tone seethed with rage.

I took her to the same unused drive where I’d spent the afternoon engaged in the poorest surveillance ever kept. It was black now under the trees. I was so furious that my body froze in place there, utterly motionless. My ice-locked hands ached to crush her attacker, to grind him into pieces so mangled that his body could never be identified.

But that would entail leaving her here alone, unprotected in the dark night.

Where I'm sure another van is lurking.

Oh hey, here's more new text!

quote:

My mind was replaying scenes from my hunting days, images I wished I could forget. Especially now, with the urge to kill so much stronger than any hunting compulsion I’d ever felt before.

This man, this abomination, was not the worst of his kind, though it was difficult to sort the depths of evil into a merit-based order. Still, I remembered the very worst. There had never been any question that he deserved that title.

Most of the men I’d hunted back in my days of acting as judge, jury, and executioner had felt some level of remorse, or at least fear of being caught. Many of them turned to alcohol or drugs to silence their worries. Others compartmentalized, created fractures in their personalities and lived as two men, one for the light and one for the dark.

But for the worst, the vilest aberration I’d ever encountered, remorse was not an issue.

I’d never found anyone who embraced his own evil so thoroughly—who enjoyed it. He was utterly delighted by the world he’d created, a world of helpless victims and their tortured screams. Pain was the object of all his pursuits, and he’d gotten very good at creating it, at prolonging it.

I was committed to my rules, to my justification for all the blood I claimed. But in this instance, I wavered. To let this particular man die swiftly seemed far too easy an escape for him.

It was the closest I ever came to crossing that line.

Still, I killed him as quickly and efficiently as I killed all the rest.

It might have gone differently if two of his victims had not been in that basement of horrors when I discovered him. Two young women, already badly injured. Though I carried them both to a hospital at the greatest speed I was capable of, only one survived.

I hadn’t had time to drink his blood. That didn’t matter. There were so many others who deserved to die.

Like this Lanny. He was an atrocity, too, but surely not worse than the one I’d remembered. Why did it feel right then, imperative, that he suffer so much more?

The original draft actually does nothing to really talk about Edward's past as a serial killer/vigilante except what you've already seen. We'll see even more detailed flashbacks later, but Meyer has continued her attempt to humanize Edward and better justify his actions by emphasizing that all these guys were really deserving. Actually saving injured people, too? The original never would have done that.

quote:

But first—

“Bella?” I asked through my teeth.

“Yes?” she responded huskily. She cleared her throat.

“Are you all right?” That was really the most important thing, the first priority. Retribution was secondary. I knew that, but my body was so filled with rage that it was hard to think.

“Yes.” Her voice was still thick—with fear, no doubt.

And so I could not leave her.

Even if she wasn’t at constant risk for some infuriating reason—some joke the universe was playing on me—even if I could be sure that she would be perfectly safe in my absence, I could not leave her alone in the dark.

She must be so frightened.

Yet I was in no condition to comfort her—even if I knew exactly how that was to be accomplished, which I did not. Surely she could feel the brutality radiating out of me, surely that much was obvious. I would frighten her even more if I could not calm the lust for slaughter boiling inside me.

A normal thing to have, yes.

This actually ties into the changes vampirism makes to your psychology, in fact. We know that newborns have a severe bloodlust and Jasper and other vampires lack self-control when it comes to feeding, but how much of Edward's psychotic lust for violence is natural to him and how much is making sure that vampires are ideal predators? There are other examples of vampires gorging themselves on whole groups of victims when they didn't need that many.

On the one hand, having it be Edward's natural personality just makes him even worse. On the other, having it be a consequence of vampirism that needs to be overcome makes Bella's obsession with immortality seem dumber. She really is becoming a violent monster and will have to suppress it for the rest of her unnatural existence.

quote:

I needed to think about something else.

“Distract me, please,” I pleaded.

“I’m sorry, what?”

I barely had enough control to try to explain what I needed. “Just…” I couldn’t think of how to express it. I picked the closest word I could think of. “Prattle about something unimportant until I calm down.” It was a poor word choice, I realized as soon as it was out, but I couldn’t find much room to care. Only the fact that she needed me held me inside the car. I could hear the man’s thoughts, his disappointment and anger. I knew where to find him. I closed my eyes, wishing that I couldn’t see anyway.

“Um…” She hesitated—trying to make sense of my request, I imagined, or perhaps offended?—then she continued. “I’m going to run over Tyler Crowley tomorrow before school?” She said this like it was a question.

Yes—this was what I needed. Of course Bella would come up with something unexpected. As it had been before, the threat of violence coming through her lips was jarring, comical. If I had not been burning with the urge to kill, I would have laughed.

“Why?” I barked out, to force her to speak again.

In the original book, he didn't "bark." He just started kinda smiling and asked calmly. Edward is just consistently worse from his POV.

quote:

“He’s telling everyone that he’s taking me to prom,” she said, her voice filled with outrage. “Either he’s insane or he’s still trying to make up for almost killing me last… well you remember it,” she inserted dryly. “And he thinks prom is somehow the correct way to do this. So I figure if I endanger his life, then we’re even, and he can’t keep trying to make amends. I don’t need enemies and maybe Lauren would back off if he left me alone. I might have to total his Sentra, though,” she went on, thoughtful now. “If he doesn’t have a ride, he can’t take anyone to prom.…”

So I missed this last time.

Sentra.

In every other chapter, when Tyler's vehicle is referenced, it's a van. It's always been a van. Now it's a sedan.

quote:

It was encouraging to see that she sometimes got things wrong. Tyler’s persistence had nothing to do with the accident. She didn’t seem to understand the appeal she held for the human boys at the high school. Did she not see the appeal she had for me, either?

Ah, it was working. The baffling processes of her mind were always engrossing. I was beginning to gain control of myself, to see something beyond vengeance and slaughter.

How can you write this with a straight face?

quote:

“I heard about that,” I told her. She had stopped talking, and I needed her to continue.

You did?” she asked incredulously. And then her voice was angrier than before. “If he’s paralyzed from the neck down, he can’t go to the prom, either.”

I wished there was some way I could ask her to continue with the threats of death and bodily harm without sounding insane. She couldn’t have picked a better way to calm me. And her words—just sarcasm in her case, hyperbole—were a reminder I dearly needed in this moment.

"Unlike me. I am always completely serious when I talk about killing people brutally and painfully, especially high school students who dared to look at my property."

quote:

I sighed, and opened my eyes.

“Better?” she asked timidly.

“Not really.”

No, I was calmer, but not better. Because I’d just realized that I could not kill the fiend named Lanny. The only thing in this moment that I wanted more than to commit a highly justifiable murder was this girl. And though I couldn’t have her, just the dream of having her made it impossible for me to go on a killing spree tonight.

You're not making it better!

quote:

Bella deserved better than a killer.

I’d spent more than seven decades trying to be something—anything—other than a killer. Those years of effort could never make me worthy of the girl sitting beside me. And yet, I felt that if I returned to that life for even one night, I would surely put her out of my reach forever. Even if I didn’t drink their blood—even if I didn’t have that evidence blazing red in my eyes—wouldn’t she sense the difference?

No, she wouldn't.

quote:

I was trying to be good enough for her. It was an impossible goal. But I couldn’t bear the thought of giving up.

“What’s wrong?” she whispered.

Her scent filled my nose, and I was reminded why I could not deserve her. After all this, even as much as I loved her… she still made my mouth water.

I would give her as much honesty as I could. I owed her that.

“Sometimes I have a problem with my temper, Bella.” I stared out into the black night, wishing both that she would hear the horror inherent in my words and that she would not. Mostly that she would not. Run, Bella, run. Stay, Bella, stay. “But it wouldn’t be helpful for me to turn around and hunt down those…” Just thinking about it almost pulled me from the car. I took a deep breath, letting her scent scorch down my throat. “At least, that’s what I’m trying to convince myself.”

“Oh.”

She said nothing else. How much had she understood? I glanced at her furtively, but her face was unreadable. Blank with shock, perhaps. Well, she wasn’t screaming in horror. Not yet.

Like I said, Meyer's improvement in writing talent in the past decade really makes her awful poo poo stand out worse.

quote:

“Jessica and Angela will be worried,” she said quietly. Her voice was very calm, and I was not sure how that could be. Was she in shock? Maybe tonight’s events hadn’t sunk in for her yet. “I was supposed to meet them.”

Did she want to be away from me? Or was she just concerned about her friends’ worry?

I didn’t answer her but started the car and took her back. The nearer I got to the town, the harder it was to hold on to my purpose. I was just so close to him.…

If it was impossible—if I could never belong to nor deserve this girl—then where was the sense in letting the man go unpunished? Surely I could allow myself that much.

Remember how in New Moon he came seriously close to slaughtering innocent people just over his ex being dead?

quote:

No. I wasn’t giving up. Not yet. I wanted her too much to surrender.

We were at the restaurant where she was supposed to meet her friends before I’d even begun to make sense of my thoughts. Jessica and Angela were finished eating, and both now truly worried about Bella. They were on their way to search for her, heading off along the dark street.

It was not a good night for them to be wandering.

They might be getting spied on by some creep in the dark!

quote:

“How did you know where…?” Bella’s unfinished question interrupted me, and I realized that I had made yet another gaffe. I’d been too distracted to remember to ask her where she was supposed to meet her friends.

But instead of finishing the inquiry and pressing the point, Bella just shook her head and half smiled.

She's just accepted his stalking at this point.

quote:

What did that mean?

I have no idea! Bella's internal monologue didn't explain it!

quote:

Well, I didn’t have time to puzzle over her strange acceptance of my stranger knowledge. I opened my door.

“What are you doing?” she asked, sounding startled.

Not letting you out of my sight. Not allowing myself to be alone tonight. In that order. “I’m taking you to dinner.”

Well, this should be interesting. It seemed like another night entirely when I’d imagined bringing Alice along and pretending to choose the same restaurant as Bella and her friends by accident. And now here I was, practically on a date with the girl. Only it didn’t count, because I wasn’t giving her a chance to say no.

Oh, uh....

quote:

She already had her door half-open before I’d walked around the car—it wasn’t usually so frustrating to have to move at an inconspicuous speed—instead of allowing me to get it for her. I waited for her to join me, getting more anxious as her girlfriends continued toward the dark corner.

“Go stop Jessica and Angela before I have to track them down, too,” I ordered quickly. “I don’t think I could restrain myself if I ran into your other friends again.” No, I would not be strong enough for that.

Doesn't look any better from the other side!

quote:

She shuddered, and then quickly collected herself. She took half a step after them, calling, “Jess! Angela!” in a loud voice. They turned, and she waved her arm over her head to catch their attention.

Bella! Oh, she’s safe! Angela thought with relief.

Late much? Jessica grumbled to herself, but she, too, was thankful that Bella wasn’t lost or hurt. This made me like her a little more than I had.

Guess Meyer was afraid Jessica was being too evil.

quote:

They hurried back, and then stopped, shocked, when they saw me beside her.

Uh-uh! Jess thought, stunned. No freaking way!

Edward Cullen? Did she go away by herself to find him? But why would she ask about them being out of town if she knew he was here…? I got a brief flash of Bella’s mortified expression when she’d asked Angela if my family was often absent from school. No, she couldn’t have known, Angela decided.

Jessica’s thoughts were moving past the surprise and on to suspicion. Bella’s been holding out on me.

Oh, right, back to her being a bitch who only cares about gross girly things like boys and makeup and not Smart Girl things like 19th century literature and having babies.

quote:

“Where have you been?” she demanded, staring at Bella, but peeking at me from the corner of her eye.

“I got lost. And then I ran into Edward,” Bella said, waving one hand toward me. Her tone was remarkably normal. As though that were truly all that had happened.

She must be in shock. That was the only explanation for her calm.

She could also just be really dumb!

quote:

“Would it be all right if I joined you?” I asked—to be polite. I knew that they’d already eaten.

Holy crap but he’s hot! Jessica thought, her head suddenly slightly incoherent.

Angela wasn’t much more composed. Wish we hadn’t eaten. Wow. Just. Wow.

Now why couldn’t I do that to Bella?

Dude, you did. You Dazzled her once and she almost lost consciousness right in front of you.

quote:

“Er… sure,” Jessica agreed.

Angela frowned. “Um, actually, Bella, we already ate while we were waiting,” she admitted. “Sorry.”

Shut up! Jessica complained internally.

Bella shrugged casually. So at ease. Definitely in shock. “That’s fine—I’m not hungry.”

“I think you should eat something,” I disagreed. She needed sugar in her bloodstream—though it smelled sweet enough as it was, I thought wryly. The horror was going to come crashing down on her momentarily, and an empty stomach wouldn’t help. She was an easy fainter, as I knew from experience.

When reading the original book, I was baffled by how Edward seemed to think Bella was in such shock that she was about to pass out and needed copious amounts of cola to save her. Turns out that really was his thinking!

Two medical degrees!

quote:

These girls wouldn’t be in any danger if they went straight home. Danger didn’t stalk their every step.

And I’d rather be alone with Bella—as long as she was willing to be alone with me.

“Do you mind if I drive Bella home tonight?” I said to Jessica before Bella could respond. “That way you won’t have to wait while she eats.”

“Uh, no problem, I guess.…” Jessica stared intently at Bella, looking for some sign that this was what she wanted.

She probably wants him to herself. Who wouldn’t? Jess thought. At the same time, she watched Bella wink.

Bella winked?

Even with the new Bella created by not having her crazy internal monologue, her behavior is still baffling.

quote:

“Okay,” Angela said quickly, in a hurry to be out of the way if that was what Bella wanted. And it seemed that she did want that. “See you tomorrow, Bella… Edward.” She struggled to say my name in a casual tone. Then she grabbed Jessica’s hand and began towing her away.

I would find some way to thank Angela for this.

He's not kidding. Wait till you see what his idea is!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

Not only do I not like the new Jessica being such a bitch, I have some concerns about the fanbase. Looking at fan reactions to Midnight Sun, I saw some people angry that Jessica was suddenly being framed as a false friend who secretly hated Bella the entire time because she's so shallow and stupid. But I also saw a shocking number of posts that were "I never liked Jessica anyway! Now we know what she was always like!"

Keep in mind that the original book is 15 years old by this point. Anyone who was a fan at the height of their popularity is an adult now, possibly in their 30s. You can go back to the previous books and see just how normal and non-threatening Jessica was in the actual text. But there are adult women who are somehow still holding on to hatred for a character who didn't really do anything bad on the page except be interested in boys and makeup.

Meyers knows her audience. Teenage girls are unbelievably horrible to each other, and I'm not surprised that one middle aged woman tapping into lingering teenage resentments and jealousies succeeded in reaching those feelings in other teenage-to-middle-aged women.

That's something that's sunk into me from these readings as I think is a big part of Twilight's success. Meyer seems to have poured her teenage feelings into these books - her teenage resentments, and jealousies, and ambitions, and fears, and hopes, most of them long deferred and unfulfilled by being culturally pressured into marriage and motherhood I'm not convinced she truly wanted (or wants), and spun those feelings into a story of wish fulfillment and fantasy. It's no surprise, to me, that she'd strike a chord with girls and women with the same feelings and thoughts.

Twilight, in my opinion, is by any measure mediocre schlock that's actively damaging to women and feminism. But it's mediocre schlock that's activity damaging to women and feminism that comes from the heart, and by a quirk of fate made it into the media big leagues where stories/games/books/shows/movies by women for women about women-specific issues and feelings almost never make it, relegated to the obscure and the niche and the cult classic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Jessica’s car was close by in a bright circle of light cast by a streetlamp. Bella watched them carefully, a little crease of concern between her eyes, until they were in the car, so she must be somewhat aware of the danger she’d been in. Jessica waved as she drove away, and Bella waved back. It wasn’t until the car disappeared that she took a deep breath and turned to look up at me.

“Honestly, I’m not hungry,” she said.

Why had she waited for them to be gone before speaking? Did she truly want to be alone with me—even now, after witnessing my literal homicidal rage?

Bad choice on her part!

quote:

Whether or not that was the case, she was going to eat something.

“Humor me,” I said.

I held the restaurant door open for her and waited.

She sighed and walked through.

I walked beside her to the podium where the hostess waited. Bella still seemed entirely self-possessed. I wanted to touch her hand, her forehead, to check her temperature. But my cold hand would repulse her, as it had before.

Oh my. The hostess’s rather loud mental voice intruded into my consciousness. My, oh my.

It seemed to be my night to turn heads. Or was I only noticing it more because I wished so much that Bella would see me this way? We were always attractive to our prey, but I’d never thought so much about it before. Usually—unless, as with people like Shelly Cope and Jessica Stanley, there was constant repetition to dull the horror—the fear kicked in fairly quickly after the initial attraction.

The fear seems to only kick in when you act like weirdos!

quote:

“A table for two?” I prompted when the hostess didn’t speak.

Mmm! What a voice! “Oh, er, yes. Welcome to La Bella Italia. Please follow me.” Her thoughts were preoccupied—calculating.

Maybe she’s his cousin. She couldn’t be his sister, they don’t look anything alike. But family, definitely. He can’t be with her.

Human eyes were clouded; they saw nothing clearly. How could this small-minded woman find my physical lures—snares for prey—so attractive and yet be unable to see the soft perfection of the girl beside me?

Shut up, nerd.

quote:

Well, no need to help her out, just in case, the hostess thought as she led us to a family-sized table in the middle of the most crowded part of the restaurant. Can I give him my number while she’s there? she mused.

I pulled a bill from my back pocket. People were invariably cooperative when money was involved.

Bella was already taking the seat the hostess indicated without objection. I shook my head at her, and she hesitated, cocking her head to one side with curiosity. Yes, she would be very curious tonight. A crowd was not the ideal place for this conversation.

“Perhaps something more private?” I requested of the hostess, handing her the money.

She started, surprised, and then her hand curled around the tip.

“Sure.”

She peeked at the bill while she led us around a dividing wall.

Fifty dollars for a better table? Rich, too. That makes sense—I bet his jacket cost more than my last paycheck. drat. Why does he want privacy with her?

Your regular reminder that all women except soft nerds who read a lot are bitches.

quote:

She offered us a booth in a quiet corner of the restaurant where no one would be able to see us—to see Bella’s reactions to whatever I would tell her. I had no clue as to what she would want from me tonight. Or what I would give her.

How much had she guessed? What explanation of tonight’s events had she invented to make sense of it all?

“How’s this?” the hostess asked.

“Perfect,” I told her and, feeling slightly annoyed by her resentful attitude toward Bella, smiled widely at her, baring my teeth. Let her see me clearly.

Whoa. “Um… your server will be right out.” He can’t be real. Maybe she’ll disappear… maybe I’ll write my number on his plate with marinara. She wandered away, listing slightly to the side.

Odd. She still wasn’t frightened. I suddenly remembered Emmett teasing me in the cafeteria, so many weeks ago. I’ll bet I could have frightened her better than that.

Was I losing my edge?

This guy is so loving dumb. I'm taking this as canon that there's absolutely nothing about a vampire's appearance that causes some natural fear reaction in humans (especially since that makes no sense combined with their natural lures) and Edward was just scaring people off with his bizarre behavior while thinking he looks like a fierce predator.

quote:

“You really shouldn’t do that to people.” Bella interrupted my thoughts in a disapproving tone. “It’s hardly fair.”

I stared at her critical expression. What did she mean? I hadn’t frightened the hostess at all, despite my intentions. “Do what?”

“Dazzle them like that—she’s probably hyperventilating in the kitchen right now.”

Hmm. Bella was very nearly right. The hostess was only semi-coherent at the moment, describing her incorrect assessment of me to her friend on the waitstaff.

“Oh, come on,” Bella chided me when I didn’t answer immediately. “You have to know the effect you have on people.”

“I dazzle people?” That was an interesting way of phrasing it. Accurate enough for tonight. I wondered why the difference.…

“You haven’t noticed?” she asked, still critical. “Do you think everybody gets their way so easily?”

“Do I dazzle you?” I voiced my curiosity impulsively, and then the words were out, and it was too late to recall them.

But before I had time to regret too deeply speaking the words aloud, she answered, “Frequently.” And her cheeks took on a faint pink glow.

I dazzled her.

"Dazzle" no longer looks like a word to me.

quote:

My silent heart swelled with a hope more intense than I could ever remember having felt before.

“Hello,” someone said—the waitress, introducing herself. Her thoughts were loud, and more explicit than the hostess’s, but I tuned her out. I stared at Bella instead, watching the blood spreading across her cheekbones, noticing not how that made my throat flame, but rather how it brightened her fair face, how it set off the cream of her skin.

The waitress was waiting for something from me. Ah, she’d asked for our drink order. I continued to gaze at Bella, and the waitress grudgingly turned to look at her, too.

“I’ll have a Coke?” Bella said, as if asking for approval.

“Two Cokes,” I amended. Thirst—normal, human thirst—was a sign of shock. I would make sure she had the extra sugar from the soda in her system.

Two medical degrees.

quote:

She looked healthy, though. More than healthy. She looked radiant.

“What?” she demanded—wondering why I was staring, I guessed. I was vaguely aware that the waitress had left.

“How are you feeling?” I asked.

She blinked, surprised by the question. “I’m fine.”

“You don’t feel dizzy, sick, cold?”

She was even more confused now. “Should I?”

“Well, I’m actually waiting for you to go into shock.” I half smiled, expecting her denial. She would not want to be taken care of.

It took her a moment to answer me. Her eyes were slightly unfocused. She looked that way sometimes when I smiled at her. Was she… dazzled?

I would have loved to believe that.

Stop that.

quote:

“I don’t think that will happen. I’ve always been very good at repressing unpleasant things,” she answered, a little breathless.

Did she have a lot of practice with unpleasant things, then? Was her life always this hazardous?

“Just the same,” I told her, “I’ll feel better when you have some sugar and food in you.”

The waitress returned with the Cokes and a basket of bread. She put them in front of me and asked for my order, trying to catch my eye in the process. I indicated that she should attend to Bella, and then went back to tuning her out. She had a vulgar mind.

Gasp! A gentile!

quote:

“Um…” Bella glanced quickly at the menu. “I’ll have the mushroom ravioli.”

The waitress turned back to me eagerly. “And you?”

“Nothing for me.”

Bella made a slight face. Hmm. She must have noticed that I never ate food. She noticed everything. And I always forgot to be careful around her.

I waited till we were alone again.

“Drink,” I insisted.

"Or I'll throw you against the car window."

quote:

I was surprised when she complied immediately and without objection. She drank until the glass was entirely empty, so I pushed the second Coke toward her, frowning a little. Thirst, or shock?

She drank a little more, and then shuddered once.

“Are you cold?”

“It’s just the Coke,” she said, but she shivered again, her lips trembling slightly as if her teeth were about to chatter.

I need a different kind of coke to get through this.

quote:

The pretty blouse she wore looked too thin to protect her adequately. It clung to her like a second skin, almost as fragile as the first.

“Don’t you have a jacket?”

“Yes.” She looked around herself, a little perplexed. “Oh—I left it in Jessica’s car.”

I pulled off my jacket, wishing that the gesture was not marred by my body temperature. It would have been nice to offer her a warm coat. She stared at me, her cheeks flushing again. What was she thinking now?

I handed her the jacket across the table, and she put it on at once, and then shuddered again.

Yes, it would be very nice to be warm.

"Have I gone long enough without reminding you that I'm a vampire and existence is misery?"

quote:

“Thanks,” she said. She took a deep breath, and then pushed the too-long sleeves back to free her hands. She took another deep breath.

Was the evening finally settling in? Her color was still good. Her skin was cream and roses against the deep blue of her shirt.

“That color blue looks lovely with your skin,” I complimented her. Just being honest.

She looked well, but there was no point in taking chances. I pushed the basket of bread toward her.

“Really,” she objected, guessing my motives. “I’m not going into shock.”

“You should be—a normal person would be. You don’t even look shaken.” I stared at her, disapproving, wondering why she couldn’t be normal and then wondering whether I really wanted her to be that way.

Mr. Two Medical Degrees is confusing circulatory shock with the state of being psychologically shocked. Adrenaline from fear or anxiety can cause shaky hands, feeling faint, etc. but the symptoms Edward is looking for are reflective of medical shock, which is a condition of insufficient blood flow due to injury or illness. As I said the first time around, if he was legitimately concerned that she was going into shock he needed to be taking her straight to the emergency room.

quote:

“I feel very safe with you,” she explained, her eyes again filled with trust. Trust I didn’t deserve.

You got that right!

quote:

Her instincts were all wrong—backward. That must be the problem. She didn’t recognize danger the way a human being should be able to. She had the opposite reaction. Instead of running, she lingered, drawn to what should frighten her.

Danger fetish is confirmed canon!

quote:

How could I protect her from myself when neither of us wanted that?

“This is more complicated than I’d planned,” I murmured.

I could see her turning my words over in her head, and I wondered what she made of them. She took a breadstick and began to eat without seeming aware of the action. She chewed for a moment, and then leaned her head to one side thoughtfully.

“Usually you’re in a better mood when your eyes are so light,” she said in a casual tone.

Her observation, stated so matter-of-factly, left me reeling. “What?”

“You’re always crabbier when your eyes are black—I expect it then. I have a theory about that,” she added lightly.

So she had come up with her own explanation. Of course she had. I felt a deep sense of dread as I wondered how close she’d come to the truth.

“More theories?”

“Mm-hm.” She chewed on another bite, entirely nonchalant. As if she weren’t discussing the aspects of a demon with the demon himself.

quote:

“I hope you were more creative this time,” I lied when she didn’t continue. What I really hoped was that she was wrong—miles wide of the mark. “Or are you still stealing from comic books?”

“Well, no, I didn’t get it from a comic book,” she said, a little embarrassed. “But I didn’t come up with it on my own, either.”

“And?” I asked between my teeth.

Surely she would not speak so calmly if she were about to scream.

Don't cause a scene in the middle of the restaurant!

quote:

As she hesitated, biting her lip, the waitress reappeared with Bella’s food. I paid the server little attention as she set the plate in front of Bella and then asked if I wanted anything.

I declined, but asked for more Coke. The waitress hadn’t noticed the empty glasses.

Too busy with her vulgar thoughts?

quote:

“You were saying?” I prompted anxiously as soon as Bella and I were alone again.

“I’ll tell you about it in the car,” she said in a low voice. Ah, this would be bad. She wasn’t willing to speak her guesses around others.

“If…,” she tacked on suddenly.

“There are conditions?” I was so tense I almost growled the words.

“I do have a few questions, of course.”

“Of course,” I agreed, my voice hard.

Her questions would probably be enough to tell me where her thoughts were heading. But how would I answer them? With responsible lies? Or would I drive her away with truth? Or would I say nothing, unable to decide?

Would I randomly destroy a tree while ripping my jacket open?

quote:

We sat in silence while the waitress replenished her supply of soda.

“Well, go ahead,” I said, jaw locked, when she was gone.

“Why are you in Port Angeles?”

That was too easy a question—for her. It gave away nothing, while my answer, if truthful, would give away much too much. Let her reveal something first.

“Next,” I said.

“But that’s the easiest one!’

“Next,” I said again.

She was frustrated by my refusal. She looked away from me, down at her food. Slowly, thinking hard, she took a bite and chewed with deliberation.

Suddenly, as she ate, a strange comparison entered my head. For just a second, I saw Persephone, pomegranate in hand. Dooming herself to the underworld.

Is that who I was? Hades himself, coveting springtime, stealing it, condemning it to endless night. I tried unsuccessfully to shake the impression.

Sir, she is eating mushroom ravioli.

Wondering why the cover is a really gross pomegranate? It's this. The Hades/Persephone thing is a new addition to the draft, and believe me you're never going to hear the end of it!

quote:

She washed her bite down with more Coke, and then finally looked up at me. Her eyes were narrow with suspicion.

“Okay then,” she said. “Let’s say, hypothetically, of course, that… someone… could know what people are thinking, read minds, you know—with a few exceptions.”

It could be worse.

This explained that little half smile in the car. She was quick—no one else had ever guessed this about me. Except for Carlisle, and it had been rather obvious then, in the beginning, when I’d answered all his thoughts as if he’d spoken them to me. He’d understood before I had.

This question wasn’t so bad. While it was clear that she knew there was something wrong with me, it was not as serious as it could have been. Mind reading was, after all, not a facet of vampire canon. I went along with her hypothesis.

That "half smile" wasn't in the original Twilight. Bella was just confused. This is a quasi-retcon by Meyer to add new reactions to try and make her seem more clever.

quote:

“Just one exception,” I corrected. “Hypothetically.”

She fought a smile—my vague honesty pleased her. “All right, with one exception, then. How does that work? What are the limitations? How would… that someone… find someone else at exactly the right time? How would he know that she was in trouble?”

“Hypothetically?”

“Sure.” Her lips twitched, and her liquid brown eyes were eager.

“Well…” I hesitated. “If… that someone—”

“Let’s call him ‘Joe,’” she suggested.

Good ol' Joe.

quote:

I had to smile at her enthusiasm. Did she really think the truth would be a good thing? If my secrets were pleasant, why would I keep them from her?

“Joe, then,” I agreed. “If Joe had been paying attention, the timing wouldn’t have needed to be quite so exact.” I shook my head and repressed a shudder at the thought of how close I had been to being too late today. “Only you could get into trouble in a town this small. You would have devastated their crime rate statistics for a decade, you know.”

Her lips turned down at the corners and pouted out. “We were speaking of a hypothetical case.”

I laughed at her irritation.

Her lips, her skin… they looked so soft. I wanted to see if they were as velvety as they appeared. Impossible. My touch would be repellent to her.

I know that when I'm talking to someone I barely know and have an ambivalent relationship with, I'm instinctually driven to stroke their face.

quote:

“Yes, we were,” I said, returning to the conversation before I could depress myself too thoroughly. “Shall we call you ‘Jane’?”

She leaned across the table toward me, all humor and irritation gone from her expression. “How did you know?” she asked, her voice low and intense.

Should I tell her the truth? And if so, what portion?

I wanted to tell her. I wanted to deserve the trust I could still see on her face.

As if she could hear my thoughts, she whispered, “You can trust me, you know.” She reached one hand forward as if to touch my hands where they rested on top of the empty table before me.

I pulled them back—hating the thought of her reaction to my frigid stone skin—and she dropped her hand.

I knew that I could trust her with protecting my secrets. She was entirely honorable, good to the core. But I couldn’t trust her not to be horrified by them. She should be horrified. The truth was horror.

Little does he realize what she's really into!

quote:

“I don’t know if I have a choice anymore,” I murmured. I remembered that I’d once teased her by calling her exceptionally unobservant. Offended her, if I’d been judging her expressions correctly. Well, I could right that one injustice, at least. “I was wrong—you’re much more observant than I gave you credit for.” And though she might not realize it, I’d given her plenty of credit already.

“I thought you were always right,” she said, smiling as she teased me.

“I used to be.” I used to know what I was doing. I used to be always sure of my course. And now everything was chaos and tumult. Yet I wouldn’t trade it. Not if the chaos meant that I could be near Bella.

“I was wrong about you on one other thing as well,” I went on, setting the record straight on a second point. “You’re not a magnet for accidents—that’s not a broad enough classification. You are a magnet for trouble. If there is anything dangerous within a ten-mile radius, it will invariably find you.” Why her? What had she done to deserve any of this?

Have so little agency that she can only be the focal point of the plot through contrived coincidence?

quote:

Bella’s face turned serious again. “And you put yourself into that category?”

Honesty was more important in regard to this question than any other. “Unequivocally.”

Her eyes narrowed slightly—not suspicious now, but oddly concerned. Her lips curved into that one specific smile that I had only seen on her face when she was confronted with someone else’s pain. She reached her hand across the table again, slowly and deliberately. I pulled my hands an inch away from her, but she ignored that, determined to touch me. I held my breath—not because of her scent now, but because of the sudden, overwhelming tension. Fear. My skin would disgust her. She would run away.

She brushed her fingertips lightly across the back of my hand. The heat of her gentle, willing touch was like nothing I’d ever felt before. It was almost pure pleasure. Would have been, except for my fear. I watched her face as she felt the cold stone of my skin, still unable to breathe.

Her smile of concern shifted into something wider, something warmer.

"Why were you so concerned? You just feel clammy."

quote:

“Thank you,” she said, meeting my stare with an intense gaze of her own. “That’s twice now.”

Her soft fingers lingered against my skin as if they found it pleasant to be there.

I answered her as casually as I was able. “Let’s not try for three, agreed?”

She scowled a little at that, but nodded.

And we all saw how many it would be!

quote:

I pulled my hands out from under hers. As exquisite as her touch felt, I wasn’t going to wait for the magic of her tolerance to pass, to turn to revulsion. I hid my hands under the table.

Sigh.

quote:

I read her eyes; though her mind was silent, I could perceive both trust and wonder there. I realized in that moment that I wanted to answer her questions. Not because I owed it to her. Not because I wanted her to trust me.

I wanted her to know me.

“I followed you to Port Angeles,” I told her, the words spilling out too quickly for me to edit them. I knew the danger of the truth, the risk I was taking. At any moment, her unnatural calm could shatter into hysterics. Contrarily, knowing this only had me talking faster. “I’ve never tried to keep a specific person alive before and it’s much more troublesome than I would have believed. But that’s probably just because it’s you. Ordinary people seem to make it through the day without so many catastrophes.”

I watched her, waiting.

She smiled wider again. Her clear, dark eyes seemed deeper than ever.

I’d just admitted to stalking her, and she was smiling.

Yeah, not a great sign!

quote:

“Did you ever think that maybe my number was up that first time, with the van, and that you’ve been interfering with fate?” she asked.

“That wasn’t the first time,” I said, staring down at the dark maroon tablecloth, my shoulders bowed in shame. Barriers down, the truth still spilling free recklessly. “Your number was up the first time I met you.”

It was true, and it angered me. I had been positioned over her life like the blade of a guillotine—as though it was ordained by fate, just as she said. As if she had been marked for death by that cruel, unjust fate, and—since I’d proved an unwilling tool—it continued to try to execute her. I imagined the fate personified, a grisly, jealous hag, a vengeful harpy.

Whoever introduced this dumbass to Greek mythology made a mistake.

quote:

I wanted something, someone, to be responsible for this, so that I would have something concrete to fight against. Something, anything to destroy, so that Bella could be safe.

Bella was very quiet. Her breathing had accelerated.

I looked up at her, knowing I would finally see the fear I was waiting for. Had I not just admitted how close I’d been to killing her? Closer than the van that had come within slim inches of crushing the life from her body. And yet, her face was still calm, her eyes still tightened only with concern. “

You remember?”

“Yes,” she said, her voice level and grave. Her deep eyes were full of awareness.

She knew. She knew that I had wanted to murder her. Where were her screams?

“And yet here you sit,” I said, pointing out the inherent contradiction.

“Yes, here I sit… because of you.” Her expression altered, turned curious, as she unsubtly changed the subject. “Because somehow you knew how to find me today…?”

Imagine if someone wrote this scene but without the romantic angle. Edward doesn't have a weird obsession with her, but Bella becomes absolutely convinced that she's destined to be with him and now a vampire has to deal with a stalker.

quote:

Hopelessly, I pushed one more time at the barrier that protected her thoughts, desperate to understand. It made no logical sense to me. How could she even care about the rest with that glaring truth on the table?

She waited, only curious. Her skin was pale, which was natural for her, but it still concerned me. Her dinner sat nearly untouched in front of her. If I continued to tell her too much, she was going to need a buffer when the shock set in at last.

A mushroom ravioli barrier.

quote:

I named my terms. “You eat, I’ll talk.”

She processed that for half a second, and then threw a bite into her mouth with a speed that belied her calm. She was more anxious for my answer than her eyes let on.

“It’s harder than it should be—keeping track of you,” I told her. “Usually I can find someone very easily, once I’ve heard their mind before.”

I watched her face carefully as I said this. Guessing right was one thing, having it confirmed was another.

She was motionless, her eyes blank. I felt my teeth clench together as I waited for her panic.

But she just blinked once, swallowed loudly, and then quickly scooped another bite into her mouth. Eager for me to continue.

“I was keeping tabs on Jessica,” I went on, watching each word as it sank in. “Not carefully—like I said, only you could find trouble in Port Angeles.” I couldn’t resist adding that. Was she aware that other human lives were not so plagued with near-death experiences, or did she think the things that happened to her were normal? “And at first I didn’t notice when you took off on your own. Then, when I realized that you weren’t with her anymore, I went looking for you at the bookstore I saw in her head. I could tell that you hadn’t gone in, and that you’d gone south… and I knew you would have to turn around soon. So I was just waiting for you, randomly searching through the thoughts of people on the street—to see if anyone had noticed you so I would know where you were. I had no reason to be worried… but I was strangely anxious.…” My breath came faster as I remembered that feeling of panic. Her scent blazed in my throat and I was glad. It was a pain that meant she was alive.

As long as I burned, she was safe.

I think your logic is backwards there.

quote:

“I started to drive in circles, still… listening.” I hoped the word made sense to her. This had to be confusing. “The sun was finally setting, and I was about to get out and follow you on foot. And then—”

As the memory took me—perfectly clear and as vivid as if I was in the moment again—I felt the same murderous fury wash through my body, locking it into ice.

I wanted him dead. He should be dead. My jaw clenched tight as I concentrated on holding myself here at the table. Bella still needed me. That was what mattered.

This guy just almost sailed out the window to go commit mass murder mid-conversation.

quote:

“Then what?” she whispered, her dark eyes huge.

“I heard what they were thinking,” I said through my teeth, unable to keep the words from coming out in a growl. “I saw your face in his mind.”

I still knew precisely where to find him. His black thoughts sucked at the night sky, pulling me toward them.

I covered my face, knowing my expression was that of a hunter, a killer. I fixed her image behind my closed eyes to control myself. The delicate framework of her bones, the thin sheath of her pale skin—like silk stretched over glass, incredibly soft and easy to shatter. She was too vulnerable for this world. She needed a protector. And through some twisted mismanagement of destiny, I was the closest thing available.

Nope, no agency for Bella! She's just a waif with glass bones and paper skin who needs a man in her life!

quote:

I tried to explain my violent reaction so that she would understand.

“It was very… hard—you can’t imagine how hard—for me to simply take you away, and leave them… alive,” I whispered. “I could have let you go with Jessica and Angela, but I was afraid if you left me alone, I would go looking for them.”

For the second time tonight, I confessed to an intended murder. At least this one was defensible.

Not the point, man!

quote:

She was quiet as I struggled to control myself. I listened to her heartbeat. The rhythm was irregular, but it slowed as the time passed until it was steady again. Her breathing, too, was low and even.

I was too close to the edge. I needed to get her home before…

Would I kill him, then? Would I become a murderer again when she trusted me? Was there any way to stop myself?

She’d promised to tell me her latest theory when we were alone. Did I want to hear it? I was anxious for it, but would the reward for my curiosity be worse than not knowing?

At any rate, she must have had enough truth for one night.

I've definitely had enough.

quote:

I looked at her again, and her face was paler than before, but composed.

“Are you ready to go home?” I asked.

“I’m ready to leave,” she said, choosing her words carefully, as if a simple yes did not fully express what she wanted to say.

Frustrating.

The waitress returned. She’d heard Bella’s last statement as she’d dithered on the other side of the partition, wondering what more she could offer me. I wanted to roll my eyes at some of the offerings she’d had in mind.

"You petty human and your trivial.....tiramisu."

quote:

“How are we doing?” she asked me.

“We’re ready for the check, thank you,” I told her, my eyes on Bella.

The waitress’s breathing spiked and she was momentarily—to use Bella’s phrasing—dazzled by my voice.

Imagine being Robert Pattinson reading this and trying to wrap your head around how to give this emo psychopath a voice that's somehow perfect enough to stun women.

quote:

In a sudden moment of perception, hearing the way my voice sounded in this inconsequential human’s head, I realized why I seemed to be attracting so much admiration tonight—unmarred by the usual fear.

It was because of Bella. Trying so hard to be safe for her, to be less frightening, to be human, I truly had lost my edge. The other humans saw only beauty now, with my innate horror so carefully under control.

Again, no other vampires have this "innate horror." It's just you, man.

quote:

I looked up at the waitress, waiting for her to recover herself. It was sort of humorous, now that I understood the reason.

“S-sure. Here you go.” She handed me the folder with the bill, thinking of the card she’d slid in behind the receipt. A card with her name and telephone number on it.

Yes, it was rather funny.

"Dance for me, peons!"

quote:

I had money ready again. I gave the folder back at once, so she wouldn’t waste any time waiting for a call that would never come.

“No change,” I told her, hoping the size of the tip would assuage her disappointment.

I stood, and Bella quickly followed suit. I wanted to offer her my hand, but I thought that might be pushing my luck a little too far for one night. I thanked the waitress, my eyes never leaving Bella’s face. Bella seemed to be finding something amusing, too.

I walked as close beside her as I dared. Close enough that the warmth coming off her was like a physical touch against the left side of my body. As I held the door for her, she sighed quietly, and I wondered what regret weighed on her. I stared into her eyes, about to ask, when she suddenly looked at the ground, seeming embarrassed. It made me more curious, even as it made me reluctant to ask. The silence between us continued while I opened her door for her and then got into the car.

I turned the heater on—the warmer weather had come to an abrupt end; the cold car would be uncomfortable for her. She huddled in my jacket, a small smile on her lips.

How warm is it, though? The Lexicon timeline puts virtually the entire book in March. The average highs in Port Angeles are around 50 degrees Fahrenheit at this time. Bella leaving her jacket in Jessica's car was a pretty dumb move!

quote:

I waited, postponing the conversation until the lights of the boardwalk faded. It made me feel more alone with her.

Was that the right thing? The car seemed very small. Her scent swirled through it with the current of the heater, building and strengthening. It grew into its own force, like a third entity in the car. A presence that demanded recognition.

It had that; I burned. The burning was acceptable, though. It seemed strangely appropriate to me. I had been given so much tonight—more than I’d expected. And here she was, still willingly at my side. I owed something in return for that. A sacrifice. A burnt offering.

Edward goes back for more mushroom ravioli.

quote:

Now if I could just keep it to that—just burn, and nothing more. But the venom filled my mouth, and my muscles tensed in anticipation, as if I were hunting.

I had to keep such thoughts from my mind. And I knew what would distract me.

“Now,” I said to her, fear of her response taking the edge off the burn. “It’s your turn.”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, there are only 3 chapters left of the first draft before we get to totally new content!

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

You’re a champion for suffering through this for our entertainment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

"Dazzle" no longer looks like a word to me.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I'm trying to imagine how Stephanie Meyer possibly found this hot and I can't, I really can't.

Poor Robert Pattison.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That was it. That was the restaurant.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You could do something interesting with a telepath who's become jaded and cynical because of over-exposure to people's inner lives, who becomes restored and renewed by contact with someone whose mind he can't read. But you'd have to be a better writer.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HopperUK posted:

You could do something interesting with a telepath who's become jaded and cynical because of over-exposure to people's inner lives, who becomes restored and renewed by contact with someone whose mind he can't read. But you'd have to be a better writer.

I'd love to see a version where Bella does her "you can finally hear my thoughts" trick from the end of Breaking Dawn and Edward is loving decimated from the realization that Bella is and always was just as annoying and superficial and selfish as all the other high schoolers, and he's just tied himself to her for eternity.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

HopperUK posted:

I mean that happens in Trueblood doesnt it?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Victorkm posted:

I mean that happens in Trueblood doesnt it?

I remember Sookie being quite a positive person but I might just be thinking of the tv show.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

HopperUK posted:

I remember Sookie being quite a positive person but I might just be thinking of the tv show.

Yeah it was more that hearing people's thoughts made it impossible for her to have a sexual or emotional relationship so she was intensely relieved when she realized she couldnt hear vampire thoughts and met Bill in her small town.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Leng posted:

I'm trying to imagine how Stephanie Meyer possibly found this hot and I can't, I really can't.

Poor Robert Pattison.

I always think back to how he had girls stalking him with their wrists scratched open and how he tried to cultivate a look that came off gross/unwashed to be unapproachable. Maybe the upcoming Batman film will be total burnt popcorn but he deserves good/interesting roles, he’s a hell of an actor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/porchluck/status/1283690544695144449

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 10: Theory

quote:

"Can I just ask one more?" she entreated instead of answering my demand.

I was on edge, anxious for the worst. And yet, how tempting it was to prolong this moment. To have her with me, willingly, for just a few seconds longer. I sighed at the dilemma, and then said, “One.”

“Well…” She hesitated for a moment, as if deciding which question to voice. “You said you knew I hadn’t gone into the bookstore, and that I had gone south. I was just wondering how you knew that.”

I glared out the windshield. Here was another question that revealed nothing on her part, and too much on mine.

Again, Edward should immediately recognize the signs of a shield! He's been around for decades and professes knowledge of these powers! There's nothing to question!

quote:

“I thought we were past all the evasiveness,” she said, her tone critical and disappointed.

How ironic. She was relentlessly evasive, without even trying.

Well, she wanted me to be direct. And this conversation wasn’t going anywhere good, regardless.

“Fine, then,” I said. “I followed your scent.”

I wanted to watch her face, but I was afraid of what I would see. Instead, I listened to her breath accelerate and then stabilize. She spoke again after a moment, and her voice was steadier than I would have expected.

"Oh no, it's her kink."

quote:

“And then you didn’t answer one of my first questions…,” she said.

I looked down at her, frowning. She was stalling, too.

“Which one?”

“How does it work—the mind-reading thing?” she asked, reiterating her question from the restaurant. “Can you read anybody’s mind, anywhere? How do you do it? Can the rest of your family…?” She trailed off, flushing again.

“That’s more than one,” I said.

She just looked at me, waiting for her answers.

And why not tell her? She’d already guessed most of this, and it was an easier subject than the one that loomed.

"Well, I've just straight up told you that I'm a psychic. May as well admit everything."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnHCDQcROAw

I didn't show the restaurant scene last time. It somehow manages to be simpler (putting all the conversation about mind reading into dinner because the reveal is moved from the car to the meadow) but with some of the worst acting known to man. There's one fun fact though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R89K1zydhPI

That background music is actually one of Robert Pattinson's own songs, "Never Think." Along with being a talented multi-instrumentalist who composed his own version of Bella's song, he's also a mumble-singer.

quote:

“No, it’s just me. And I can’t hear anyone, anywhere. I have to be fairly close. The more familiar someone’s… ‘voice’ is, the farther away I can hear them. But still, no more than a few miles.” I tried to think of a way to describe it so that she would understand. An analogy that she could relate to. “It’s a little like being in a huge hall filled with people, everyone talking at once. It’s just a hum—a buzzing of voices in the background. Until I focus on one voice, and then what they’re thinking is clear. Most of the time I tune it all out—it can be very distracting. And then it’s easier to seem normal”—I scowled—“when I’m not accidentally answering someone’s thoughts rather than their words.”

“Why do you think you can’t hear me?” she wondered.

I gave her another truth and another analogy.

“I don’t know,” I admitted. “The only guess I have is that maybe your mind doesn’t work the same way the rest of theirs do. Like your thoughts are on the AM frequency and I’m only getting FM.”

"It surely has nothing to do with all my established knowledge about psychic powers in humans."

quote:

I realized as soon as the words were out that she would not like this analogy. The anticipation of her reaction had me smiling. She didn’t disappoint.

“My mind doesn’t work right?” she asked, her voice rising. “I’m a freak?”

Ladies: if your man only smiles when he's laughing at you being upset, leave him.

quote:

Ah, the irony again.

“I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.” I laughed.

She understood all the small things, and yet the big ones she got backward. Always the wrong instincts.

Posting
At home
Book sucks
I know

quote:

Bella was gnawing on her lip, and the crease between her eyes was etched deep.

Envision this expression.

quote:

“Don’t worry,” I reassured her. “It’s just a theory.…” And there was a more important theory to be discussed. I was anxious to get it over with. Each passing second was beginning to feel more and more like borrowed time. “Which brings us back to you.”

She sighed, still chewing her lip—I worried that she would hurt herself. She stared into my eyes, her face troubled.

“Aren’t we past all the evasions now?” I asked quietly.[/quote

Not for another 3 books!

[quote]She looked down, struggling with some internal dilemma. Suddenly, she stiffened and her eyes flew wide open. Fear flashed across her face for the first time.

“Holy crow!” she gasped.

I panicked. What had she seen? How had I frightened her?

Then she shouted, “Slow down!”

“What’s wrong?” I didn’t understand where her terror was coming from.

“You’re going a hundred miles an hour!” she yelled at me. She flashed a look out the window, and recoiled from the dark trees racing past us.

This little thing, just a bit of speed, had her shouting in fear?

I rolled my eyes. “Relax, Bella.”

“Are you trying to kill us?” she demanded, her voice high and tight.

“We’re not going to crash,” I promised her.

She sucked in a sharp breath, and then spoke in a slightly more level tone. “Why are you in such a hurry?”

"Trying to get to stuff that wasn't written in 2007!"

quote:

“I always drive like this.” I met her gaze, amused by her shocked expression.

“Keep your eyes on the road!” she shouted.

“I’ve never been in an accident, Bella. I’ve never even gotten a ticket.” I grinned at her and touched my forehead. It made it even more comical—the absurdity of being able to joke with her about something so secret and strange. “Built-in radar detector.”

“Very funny,” she said sarcastically, her voice still more frightened than angry. “Charlie’s a cop, remember? I was raised to abide by traffic laws. Besides, if you turn us into a Volvo pretzel around a tree trunk, you can probably just walk away.”

“Probably,” I repeated, and then laughed without humor. Yes, we would fare quite differently in a car accident. She was right to be afraid, despite my driving abilities. “But you can’t.”

If she's right to be afraid, slow down!

quote:

With a sigh, I let the car drift to a crawl. “Happy?”

She eyed the speedometer. “Almost.”

Was this still too fast for her? “I hate driving slow,” I muttered, but let the needle slide down another notch.

“This is slow?” she asked.

“Enough commentary on my driving,” I said impatiently. How many times had she dodged my question now? Three times? Four? Were her speculations that horrific? I had to know—immediately. “I’m still waiting for your latest theory.”

Some say his hair holds the secrets to his Stephenie Meyer's orgasms. Some say Rosalie has a car bomb set aside for him. All we know is, he's called Edward "The Stig" Cullen.

quote:

She bit her lip again, and her expression became upset, almost pained.

I reined in my impatience and softened my voice. I didn’t want her to be distressed.

“I won’t laugh,” I promised, wishing that it were only embarrassment that made her unwilling to talk.

“I’m more afraid that you’ll be angry with me,” she whispered.

I forced my voice to stay even. “Is it that bad?”

“Pretty much, yeah.”

She looked down, refusing to meet my eyes. The seconds passed.

“Go ahead,” I encouraged.

Her voice was small. “I don’t know how to start.”

“Why don’t you start at the beginning?” I remembered her words before dinner. “You said you didn’t come up with this on your own.”

“No,” she agreed, and then was silent again.

I thought about things that might have inspired her. “What got you started—a book? A movie?”

I should have looked through her collections when she was out of the house. I had no idea if Bram Stoker or Anne Rice was there in her stack of worn paperbacks.

Definitely the second one.

quote:

“No,” she said again. “It was Saturday, at the beach.”

I hadn’t expected that. The local gossip about us had never strayed into anything too bizarre—or too precise. Was there a new rumor I’d missed? Bella peeked up from her hands and saw the surprise on my face.

“I ran into an old family friend—Jacob Black,” she went on. “His dad and Charlie have been friends since I was a baby.”

Jacob Black—the name was not familiar, and yet it reminded me of something… some time, long ago.… I stared out the windshield, flipping through memories to find the connection.

“His dad is one of the Quileute elders,” she said.

Jacob Black. Ephraim Black. A descendant, no doubt.

It was as bad as it could get.

She knew the truth.

My mind was flying through the ramifications as the car flew around the dark curves in the road, my body rigid with anguish—motionless except for the small, automatic actions it took to steer.

We'll see some more flashbacks regarding the Quileute later on, which leads to one of the pieces of artwork I posted before.

quote:

She knew the truth. But… if she’d learned the truth Saturday… then she’d known it all evening long, and yet…

“We went for a walk,” she went on. “And he was telling me about some old legends—trying to scare me, I think. He told me one…”

She stopped short, but there was no need for her qualms now. I knew what she was going to say. The only mystery left was why she was here with me now.

“Go on,” I said.

“About vampires,” she breathed, the words less than a whisper.

Somehow, it was even worse than knowing that she knew, hearing her speak the word aloud. I flinched at the sound of it, and then controlled myself again.

“And you immediately thought of me?” I asked.

“No. He… mentioned your family.”

How ironic that it would be Ephraim’s own progeny that would violate the treaty he’d vowed to uphold. A grandson, or great-grandson perhaps. How many years had it been? Seventy?

If you're keeping track, Emmett was turned into a vampire in 1935 in the south and the treaty was made in 1936 in Forks. I guess they had to move real fast!

quote:

I should have realized that it was not the old men who believed in the legends that would be the danger. Of course, the younger generation—those who had been warned but would think the ancient superstitions laughable—that was where the danger of exposure lay.

I supposed this meant I was now free to slaughter the small, defenseless tribe on the coastline, were I so inclined. Ephraim and his pack of protectors were long dead.

loving Christ, Edward! What the gently caress is wrong with you?

quote:

“He just thought it was a silly superstition,” Bella said suddenly, her voice edged with a new anxiety, almost as if she could read my thoughts. “He didn’t expect me to think anything of it.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her hands twist uneasily.

“It was my fault,” she said after a brief pause, and then she hung her head as if she was ashamed. “I forced him to tell me.”

“Why?” It wasn’t so hard to keep my voice level now. The worst was already done. As long as we spoke of the details of the revelation, we didn’t have to move on to the consequences of it.

Like loving genocide?

quote:

“Lauren said something about you—she was trying to provoke me.” She made a little face at the memory. I was slightly distracted, wondering how Bella would be provoked by someone talking about me. “And an older boy from the tribe said your family didn’t come to the reservation, only it sounded like he meant something different. So I got Jacob alone and I tricked it out of him.”

Her head dropped even lower as she admitted this, and her expression looked… guilty.

I looked away from her and laughed out loud; it was a hard-edged sound. She felt guilty? What could she possibly have done to deserve censure of any kind?

Nobody talks like this!

quote:

“Tricked him how?” I asked.

“I tried to flirt—it worked better than I thought it would,” she explained, and her voice turned incredulous at the memory of that success.

I could just imagine—considering the attraction she seemed to hold for all things male, totally unconscious on her part—how overwhelming she would be when she tried to be attractive. I was suddenly full of pity for the unsuspecting boy she’d unleashed such a potent force on.

So plain, yet so impossibly perfect that she can get get any boy under her spell just by badly flirting.

quote:

“I’d like to have seen that,” I said, and then I laughed again with dark humor. I wished I could have heard the boy’s reaction, witnessed the devastation for myself. “And you accused me of dazzling people—poor Jacob Black.”

I wasn’t as angry with the source of my exposure as I would have expected to feel. He didn’t know better. And how could I expect anyone to deny this girl what she wanted? No, I only felt sympathy for the damage she would have done to his peace of mind.

But not for you planning to murder the entire Quileute people, right?

quote:

I felt her blush heat the air between us. I glanced at her, and she was staring out her window. She didn’t speak again.

“What did you do then?” I prompted. Time to get back to the horror story.

“I did some research on the internet.”

Ever practical. “And did that convince you?”

“No,” she said. “Nothing fit. Most of it was kind of silly. And then—”

She broke off again, and I heard her teeth lock together.

“What?” I demanded. What had she found? What had made sense of the nightmare for her?

There was a short pause, and then she whispered, “I decided it didn’t matter.”

Shock froze my thoughts for a half second, and then it all fit together. Why she’d sent her friends away tonight rather than escape with them. Why she had gotten into my car with me again instead of running, screaming for the police.

Her reactions were always wrong—always completely wrong. She pulled danger toward herself. She invited it.

Certified freak, seven days a week.

quote:

“It didn’t matter?” I said through my teeth, anger filling me. How was I supposed to protect someone so… so… so determined to be unprotected?

“No,” she said in a low voice that was inexplicably tender. “It doesn’t matter to me what you are.”

She was impossible. “You don’t care if I’m a monster? If I’m not human?”

“No.”

I started to wonder if she was entirely stable.

I supposed that I could arrange for her to receive the best care available.… Carlisle would have the connections to find her the most skilled doctors, the most talented therapists. Perhaps something could be done to fix whatever it was that was wrong with her, whatever it was that made her content to sit beside a vampire with her heart beating calmly and steadily. I would watch over the facility, naturally, and visit as often as she allowed.

This, right here, is the funniest thing Stephenie Meyer will ever write.

quote:

“You’re angry,” she sighed. “I shouldn’t have said anything.”

As if her hiding these disturbing tendencies would help either of us.

“No. I’d rather know what you’re thinking—even if what you’re thinking is insane.”

“So I’m wrong again?” she asked, a bit belligerent now.

“That’s not what I was referring to!” My teeth clenched together again. “‘It doesn’t matter’!” I repeated in a scathing tone.

She gasped. “I’m right?”

“Does it matter?” I countered.

If you were wanting to know how little editing most of this draft got, everything you've read so far has been identical to the leaked draft except for minor grammatical corrections. Even the italics are intact.

quote:

She took a deep breath. I waited angrily for her answer.

“Not really,” she said, her voice composed again. “But I am curious.”

Not really. It didn’t really matter. She didn’t care. She knew I was inhuman, a horror, and this didn’t really matter to her.

Aside from my worries about her sanity, I began to feel a swelling of hope. I tried to quash it.

Me reading this book.

quote:

“What are you curious about?” I asked her. There were no secrets left, only minor details.

“How old are you?” she asked.

My answer was automatic and ingrained. “Seventeen.”

“And how long have you been seventeen?”

I tried not to smile at her patronizing tone. “A while,” I admitted.

“Okay,” she said, abruptly enthusiastic. She smiled up at me. When I stared back, anxious again about her mental health, she smiled wider. I frowned.

“Don’t laugh,” she warned. “But how can you come out during the daytime?”

I laughed despite her request. Her research had not netted her anything unusual, it seemed. “Myth,” I told her.

Bitch you won't even trust tinted windows

......except for the very end of this book. You'll see.

quote:

“Burned by the sun?”

“Myth.”

“Sleeping in coffins?”

“Myth.” Sleep had not been a part of my life for so long—not until these last few nights, as I’d watched Bella dreaming.

“I can’t sleep,” I murmured, answering her question more fully.

She was silent for a moment.

“At all?” she asked.

“Never,” I breathed.

As I met her penetrating gaze, read the surprise and the sympathy there, I abruptly yearned for sleep. Not for oblivion, as I had before, not to escape boredom, but because I wanted to dream. Maybe if I could be unconscious, if I could dream, I could live for a few hours in a world where she and I could be together. She dreamed of me. I wanted to dream of her.

Just watch porn, dude.

quote:

She stared back at me, her expression full of wonder. I had to look away. I could not dream of her. She should not dream of me.

“You haven’t asked me the most important question yet,” I said. The stone heart in my silent chest felt colder and harder than before. She had to be forced to understand. At some point, she must be made to see that this all did matter—more than any other consideration. Considerations like the fact that I loved her.

“Which one is that?” she asked, surprised and unaware.

This only made my voice harder. “You aren’t concerned about my diet?”

“Oh. That.” She spoke in a quiet tone that I couldn’t interpret.

“Yes, that. Don’t you want to know if I drink blood?”

She cringed away from my question. Finally.

"I do not drink......wine."

quote:

“Well, Jacob said something about that,” she said.

“What did Jacob say?”

“He said you didn’t… hunt people. He said your family wasn’t supposed to be dangerous because you only hunted animals.”

“He said we weren’t dangerous?” I repeated cynically.

“Not exactly,” she clarified. “He said you weren’t supposed to be dangerous. But the Quileutes still didn’t want you on their land, just in case.”

I stared at the road, my thoughts in a hopeless snarl, my throat aching with the familiar fire.

“So, was he right?” she asked, as calmly as if she were confirming a weather report. “About not hunting people?”

“The Quileutes have a long memory.”

She nodded to herself, thinking hard.

“Don’t let that make you complacent, though,” I said quickly. “They’re right to keep their distance from us. We are still dangerous.”

“I don’t understand.”

No she didn’t. How to make her see?

Try hissing.

quote:

“We… try,” I told her. “We’re usually very good at what we do. Sometimes we make mistakes. Me, for example, allowing myself to be alone with you.”

Her scent was still a force in the car. I was growing used to it, I could almost ignore it, but there was no denying that my body still yearned toward her for the worst possible reason. My mouth was swimming with venom. I swallowed.

Yeah, Edward telling Bella this was him purposefully hinting that he was on the verge of eating her just to scare her. It wasn't tactless: it was a threat.

quote:

“This is a mistake?” she asked, and there was heartbreak in her voice. The sound of it disarmed me. She wanted to be with me—despite everything, she wanted to be with me.

Hope swelled again, and I beat it back.

Oh hey 2020.

quote:

“A very dangerous one,” I told her truthfully, wishing the truth could really somehow cease to matter.

She didn’t respond for a moment. I heard her breathing change—it hitched in strange ways that did not sound like fear.

“Tell me more,” she said suddenly, her voice distorted by anguish.

I examined her carefully.

She appeared to be in some kind of pain. How had I allowed this?

Edward is such a virgin he can't even recognize arousal.

quote:

“What more do you want to know?” I asked, trying to think of a way to keep her from hurting. She should not hurt. I couldn’t let her be hurt.

“Tell me why you hunt animals instead of people,” she said, still anguished.

Wasn’t it obvious? Or maybe this didn’t matter to her, either.

“I don’t want to be a monster,” I muttered.

“But animals aren’t enough?”

I searched for another comparison, a way that she could understand. “I can’t be sure, of course, but I’d compare it to living on tofu and soy milk; we call ourselves vegetarians, our little inside joke. It doesn’t completely satiate the hunger—or rather thirst. But it keeps us strong enough to resist. Most of the time.” My voice got lower. I was ashamed of the danger I had allowed her to be in. Danger I continued to allow. “Sometimes it’s more difficult than others.”

“Is it very difficult for you now?”

I sighed. Of course she would ask the question I didn’t want to answer.

“Yes,” I admitted.

I expected her physical response correctly this time: Her breathing held steady, her heart kept its even pattern. I expected it, but I did not understand it. How could she not be afraid?

Because she wants to annihilate your marble.

quote:

“But you’re not hungry now,” she declared, perfectly sure of herself.

“Why do you think that?”

“Your eyes,” she said, her tone offhand. “I told you I had a theory. I’ve noticed that people—men in particular—are crabbier when they’re hungry.”

poo poo I can't make the Snickers joke again.

quote:

I chuckled at her description: crabby. There was an understatement. But she was dead right, as usual. “You are observant, aren’t you?” I laughed again.

She smiled a little, the crease returning between her eyes as if she were concentrating on something.

“Were you hunting this weekend, with Emmett?” she asked after my laugh had faded.

The casual way she spoke was as fascinating as it was frustrating. Could she really accept so much in stride? I was closer to shock than she seemed to be.

Imagine if Bella had gotten to see Emmett in a roaring contest with the bear.

quote:

“Yes,” I told her, and then, as I was about to leave it at that, I felt the same urge I’d had in the restaurant: I wanted her to know me. “I didn’t want to leave,” I went on slowly, “but it was necessary. It’s a bit easier to be around you when I’m not thirsty.”

“Why didn’t you want to leave?”

I took a deep breath, and then turned to meet her gaze. This kind of honesty was difficult in a very different way.

“It makes me… anxious”—I supposed that word would suffice, though it wasn’t strong enough—“to be away from you. I wasn’t joking when I asked you to try not to fall in the ocean or get run over last Thursday. I was distracted all weekend, worrying about you. And after what happened tonight, I’m surprised that you did make it through a whole weekend unscathed.” Then I remembered the scrapes on her palms. “Well, not totally unscathed,” I amended.

“What?”

“Your hands,” I reminded her.

She sighed and her lips turned down. “I fell.”

Yes, that's what lips do.

quote:

“That’s what I thought,” I said, unable to contain my smile. “I suppose, being you, it could have been much worse—and that possibility tormented me the entire time I was away. It was a very long three days. I really got on Emmett’s nerves.” Honestly, that didn’t belong in the past tense. I was probably still irritating Emmett, and all the rest of my family, too. Except Alice.

“Three days?” she asked, her voice suddenly sharp. “Didn’t you just get back today?”

I didn’t understand the edge in her voice. “No, we got back Sunday.”

“Then why weren’t any of you in school?” she demanded.

Her irritation confused me. She didn’t seem to realize that this question was one that related to mythology again.

“Well, you asked if the sun hurt me, and it doesn’t,” I said. “But I can’t go out in the sunlight—at least, not where anyone can see.”

That distracted her from her mysterious annoyance. “Why?” she asked, leaning her head to one side.

I doubted I could come up with the appropriate analogy to explain this one. So I just told her, “I’ll show you sometime,” and then immediately wondered if this was a promise I would end up breaking—I’d said the words so casually, but I could not imagine actually following through.

So much of what the first book made look like Edward being suave and on the ball in conversations was really just him blurting out random dumb poo poo.

quote:

It wasn’t something to worry about now. I didn’t know if I could be allowed see her again, after tonight. Did I love her enough yet to be able to bear leaving her?

“You might have called me,” she said.

What an odd conclusion. “But I knew you were safe.”

Odd because, again, she never gave him her number!

quote:

“But I didn’t know where you were. I—” She came to an abrupt stop, and looked at her hands.

“What?”

“I didn’t like it,” she said shyly, the skin over her cheekbones warming. “Not seeing you. It makes me anxious, too.”

Are you happy now? I demanded of myself. Well, here was my reward for hoping.

I was bewildered, elated, horrified—mostly horrified—to realize that all my wildest fantasies were not so far off the mark. This was why it didn’t matter to her that I was a monster. It was exactly the same reason that the rules no longer mattered to me. Why right and wrong were no longer compelling influences. Why all my priorities had shifted one rung down to make room for this girl at the very top.

Bella cared for me, too.

For no apparent reason!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Meyer somehow thought this was acceptable posted:

I supposed this meant I was now free to slaughter the small, defenseless tribe on the coastline, were I so inclined. Ephraim and his pack of protectors were long dead.

Here it is, the line that seared itself into my brain as a reminder of what a sociopath Edward is. He’s spending time with the first person he’s felt any remote attraction to in a century of unlife and his mind wanders to killing the people who had every right to wipe him and his family out decades ago but didn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Apologies for any slowness in posting. An ex-coworker probably gave me COVID because she was a denialist never wearing a mask and constantly partying and I’m basically bedridden with a fever!