Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Bella being worried about the rest of the school's attention makes a little bit of sense to me because I moved twice in high school, both times to small towns, and never got to live down early incidents classmates saw as strange. Different states having drastically different curriculum is normal too, sadly. It doesn't make her any less insufferable a character, but Meyer has some decent bits mixed in and that's probably the most frustrating part so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

All of that is bullshit, yeah. I'm just trying to find anything that might've been interesting in the hands of an author with more skill or experience.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I really would find the adventures of the Cullen family more interesting than this attempt at romance, but I suspect even those would be best written by someone else.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I have no sense of how much longer this book is supposed to be -- what percent are you at according to your Kindle?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

All I'm wondering at this point is how much worse the drafts had to be if this lightly-polished turd is the final result. I expected this to have the begining of the infamous love triangle or more drama over Edward's status as non-human or something instead of the lack of plot this brick ended up with.

On the up side, it makes me feel a lot better about my own writing.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That's more horrifying than most of the news lately... well, aside from politics.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm not sure what kept me from reading these books when they were new. My best guess is their size.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I feel like she wants their disagreements to come across as cute or playful or the changing moods to be brief or light compared to their baseline for the scene, but that would've taken revision or more experience to write well.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I noticed that too but Bella obviously doesn't notice it. She's pushed everyone away so has nobody she can talk to about the difference in feelings either, which keeps her feeling as if Edward is the only person she could ever love despite how much she obviously cares about Jacob.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Sadly, this is the sort of content that I'd assumed the whole series consisted of -- abusive Edward and a budding battle between vampire and werewolf for Bella despite her being oblivious to how gross her love interest is. I heard nothing about the plotlines, such as they were, for the first two books.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The bit with Alice in this chapter scares me more than any of Edward's direct actions so far because I went in knowing he was terrible but nothing about her. And I thought it was okay to mostly like her :(

Do the rest of the decent Cullens get warped in this book too?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

How does everyone else in Forks not wonder why the Cullens' eyes alternate between being nearly black and being their usual color -- do they just think everyone's wearing contacts?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That last line was actually funny! I'm not sure how often I've felt what Meyer intended the reader to feel, but it can't be very often if moments like now amaze me.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I would read the werewolf soap opera only if it had an author better suited to handle the unpleasant issues like imprinting. Meyer can't even write her main character handling how unpleasant the emotional blackmail in this scene should be if Bella was as good a person Meyer claimed. It was uncomfortable only because I've been on the receiving end in the past.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I feel like a decent editor shouldn't have allowed this to get past the draft stage, but that's true of most of the drat book. How is poo poo like this a best seller while far more talented writers are ignored?

I'm here as long as I end up more angry than uncomfortable by the chapter. If I do have to take a break, though, I'll try to come back.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Edit 2: Fixed my crop tool!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 15, 2020

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Bella Swann, the most boring protagonist in existence, is somehow comforting in these chaotic times.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Perfect.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm equally upset by the casual homophobia Jacob tosses out there like it's not hurtful. At least that part already seems dated from talking to people currently 16-18.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Could I get a tl;dr for that chapter? Graphic body horror is a good way to ruin my night so I skipped past it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm sure it'll be just as boring as everything else Meyer intends to be interesting.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

This has all the tension of a pile of wet fireworks.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

This is, somehow, even more boring from Edward's POV. Since you've said it improves after the point the original draft ends, how much longer is that?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I think the idea there is that it's a closed-mouth kiss and Bella is safe because of it, but that's an even stranger mental image than one of them making out like typical teens is.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

But it's just over 1500 miles from Forks to Phoenix. Even at 200 mph, that's 7 hours. Airline cruising speed appears to be around 550 mph. This part makes sense if Edward wants to get there fastest above all else.

Ah, teens and the need to go fast.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

[Deleted because I forgot it'd been brought up already]

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Good to see you back fully!