Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Thors intentionally breaking his own sword to lower Askeladd's guard is still so drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like the OP!!!! the show of thorfinn screaming to the heavens under the milky way owns

Loving this adaptation so far. Maybe it's just the quality of the source material, but I was still on the edge of my seat during that fight.

I keep seeing that the anime will add original scenes of kid thorfinn for the next couple of episodes, does anyone have a source for that? Not sure how I feel about it

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Expect My Mom posted:

I keep seeing that the anime will add original scenes of kid thorfinn for the next couple of episodes, does anyone have a source for that? Not sure how I feel about it

I hope it's not true :ohdear: We got plenty of kid Thorfinn already

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Makatka posted:

I hope it's not true :ohdear: We got plenty of kid Thorfinn already

This gag manga from the rerelease of Chapter 162 says that Teen Thorfinn won't speak until Episode 7, so we'll probably have 1-2 more episodes with him as a kid.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Arkhams Razor posted:

This gag manga from the rerelease of Chapter 162 says that Teen Thorfinn won't speak until Episode 7, so we'll probably have 1-2 more episodes with him as a kid.

That seems...insane? That's two whole episodes of filler for an adaptation of a manga that's up to like a dozen volumes over the course of like a decade.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I enjoyed the fight but the post-fight section felt a bit slow and lacked the tension you'd expect from that scene.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
My dad's a big fan of anything to do with the Viking age and has read most of the actual sagas cover to cover, so this has been a real treat for him. He's not an anime fan, but when Thorkell the Tall cleaves through four men and a longship's mast in a single axe stroke, it's speaking his language.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Not Important posted:

My dad's a big fan of anything to do with the Viking age and has read most of the actual sagas cover to cover, so this has been a real treat for him. He's not an anime fan, but when Thorkell the Tall cleaves through four men and a longship's mast in a single axe stroke, it's speaking his language.

please keep us updated with further dadimpressions, i love hearing about non anime people enjoying an anime

especially if he's well-versed in the actual groundwork stories

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Patware posted:

please keep us updated with further dadimpressions, i love hearing about non anime people enjoying an anime

especially if he's well-versed in the actual groundwork stories

He's very well-versed in the sagas and history behind the anime. He was pretty excited when the anime portrayed the St. Brice's Day Massacre as a leadup to Thors getting called back to the Jomsvikings.

After episode 4, his main comment was a very despondent "I was hoping Thors would stick around longer."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So was Thorfinn. :v:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I am watching this blind and I've never heard of the series before. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it since this is so clearly the Backstory to the main character rather than the meat, but I really hope the latest ep was the end of this kid being annoying. The opening plainly shows he's Not Ok, and the end of this ep seems to be the start of that, but I'm not really a fan of just watching an ineffective child force themselves into dangerous situations to be used as drama.

Also I was not actually expecting Thors to die like that. That band of assassins looked like the most foddery group imaginable, so them actually succeeding caught me off guard. Thors was cool, but was very obviously going to die from the very start, so I'm kinda glad they just got it over with.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

I am watching this blind and I've never heard of the series before. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it since this is so clearly the Backstory to the main character rather than the meat, but I really hope the latest ep was the end of this kid being annoying. The opening plainly shows he's Not Ok, and the end of this ep seems to be the start of that, but I'm not really a fan of just watching an ineffective child force themselves into dangerous situations to be used as drama.

Also I was not actually expecting Thors to die like that. That band of assassins looked like the most foddery group imaginable, so them actually succeeding caught me off guard. Thors was cool, but was very obviously going to die from the very start, so I'm kinda glad they just got it over with.

(Very minor spoilers) This is the last we see of child Thorfinn in the manga - barring any anime original content, the next we see him will be as an Extremely, Ridiculously Not Okay Teenager.

I like that Thors never really had a chance, when you think about it. Askeladd didn't even truly need his boats/soldiers to do anything other than cut off Thors' escape - he was doomed as soon as the archers took their spots.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, and Thors very obviously knew that. Askeladd just wanted to see what all of the hype was about, and Thors used that as an opportunity to save everyone else.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

First filler episode was alright. I prefer how the manga did it by just kind of alluding to events like this, but as far as filler goes it could've been worse.

Really curious to see what they do with next week's though. Hopefully it ends up justifying the slow pacing in some fashion.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's one chapter about child Thorfinn working for Askeladd before the big time skip, so it could just be that.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Theowulv posted:

Thors intentionally breaking his own sword to lower Askeladd's guard is still so drat cool.

Also then dropping Askeladd's sword and kicking it up into his hand is the loving coolest thing god drat

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Big feels this episode. Poor English lady :(

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This show is brutal, even if it could be way worse. It's an emotionally draining series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Since they seem to be fine adding stuff I wonder if this means we'll get the attack on Hild's village in the spot where it should be chronologically. At least up until the part where she falls.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It would make a good call back in the hopeful season 2.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah ok, as far as filler goes that was fine. Still feel like it's stuff that would be better left suggested than shown but it was good.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I was looking forward to this show and it's good

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Thorfinn's Not Okay levels continue to increase with every episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad they kept this in because the image of Askeladd on the boat is just too fun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I appreciate Little Lord Pez Dispenser

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It says something that even though my other half and I were constantly side-eyeing what was happening on screen, we never paused to refill our plates.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I can't help but feel that this ep (and the next one too, probably) is kind of redundant. I mean, chapter 1&2 did a great job establishing characters, setting, etc. but since anime's already done that and there's no story progression in these chapters, why adapt them? Especially since up to this point it was violence bad, Vikings bad and now we suddenly have awesome Vikings doing cool stuff. I don't know.

But boy, that boat scene really is awesome.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Haha wow I'd forgot the complete caricature of the Frank nobleman. These norse boys are having so much fun!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Makatka posted:

I can't help but feel that this ep (and the next one too, probably) is kind of redundant. I mean, chapter 1&2 did a great job establishing characters, setting, etc. but since anime's already done that and there's no story progression in these chapters, why adapt them? Especially since up to this point it was violence bad, Vikings bad and now we suddenly have awesome Vikings doing cool stuff. I don't know.

But boy, that boat scene really is awesome.

I think it's kinda important is showing Askeladd's leadership style and charisma.

Also the longboat shot is loving iconic so they had to get that in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I require gifs

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Recent archeological evidence suggests the vikings may have been among the the first people to develop the naruto run.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

I require gifs
spoiler for current episode (as if anyone familiar with Vinland Saga doesn't know about this scene):

The added laughter makes it even better

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Dzhay posted:

Recent archeological evidence suggests the vikings may have been among the the first people to develop the naruto run.

So there's an interview with an actual ninja on Youtube and he explains this run (around 10-11 minutes in but the whole thing is worth checking out). Apparently it lets you run fast while saving energy

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Makatka posted:

So there's an interview with an actual ninja on Youtube and he explains this run (around 10-11 minutes in but the whole thing is worth checking out). Apparently it lets you run fast while saving energy

Great video. I had no idea it was a real thing.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Fun episode, even if it didn't really move the story forward in any significant way. I just continue to be mystified by the Amazon subtitler's complete prohibition on using exclamation marks at any point.

:geno: They have a ram.

:geno: Fire.

:geno: It's no good, retreat.

:geno: You bastards.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's episode is the opening of the manga. It does this story and then flashes back to Thorfinn as a child.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

Hargrimm posted:

I just continue to be mystified by the Amazon subtitler's complete prohibition on using exclamation marks at
:geno: The Vikings are here.
:geno: Everybody run for your lives.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
The Normanni.
They're madmen.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like what they're doing with Thorfinn here, he feels a lot more unbalanced and wild than I ever felt in the manga. The first person running/action scenes look pretty rough but I kinda like them and feel like they do a decent job capturing Thorfinn's speed. All in all I'm liking this a lot more than I do Studio Wit's previous adaptations but I do wonder what people who haven't seen the manga are feeling.

also I did not notice the lack of !'s at all honestly, but that may just be because I know Japanese a tiny bit enough to not always be looking at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I like it a lot!!!