Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Playing this now. A couple takeaways:

- You can hold B to run to make previously impossible jumps. Felt like a genius when I realized this.
- You can bypass entire levels through clever exploration and "warp zones". Scary cuz the levels get a lot harder but exciting
- Collecting 99 coins will grant you a 1-up. But it takes a long rear end time.

Share tips here. Frankly Im getting frustrated in equal measure to the amount of fun Im having. I will never play The Lost Levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It sucks when you have 80+ coins and you take a risk to get some more, and you end up dying stupidly, making your entire quest for coins more or less worthless. I also hate Cheep Cheeps and Bloopers. I dont get why you suddenly fall faster in some parts in water levels. Guess it keeps you on your toes.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
ive still only played 3 for the 2d ones. its just too old. to play nes games now

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Playing this makes me feel like Castlevania NES is going to be a complete nightmare.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the nly nes game i played was mr gimmick and it was super loving hard. i couldnt get the good ending either which gives u an extra stage . makes u wonder what kind of savages were beatng these games on release

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Just look up the path to take on 7-4. The game offers no hints on where to go

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

herculon posted:

Just look up the path to take on 7-4. The game offers no hints on where to go

Ill probably be in the grave long before I ever get to 7-4.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

Playing this makes me feel like Castlevania NES is going to be a complete nightmare.

played thru this with a buddy a couple summers ago (pass controller every death) and by the second stage I was desperately trying to adjust the arrangement so I’d never have to play it again

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Never heard of it before but it sounds pretty interesting, think I’ll check it out sometime—thanks for the recommendation, op :cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Mario Bros. 2 is going to blow your mind dude.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

ive still only played 3 for the 2d ones. its just too old. to play nes games now

:blastu:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sorry man .. its like asking me to go and play a commodore 64 game .. i get it ... they probably put all their love and passion into it ... but its just too old. snes is OK though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

sorry man .. its like asking me to go and play a commodore 64 game .. i get it ... they probably put all their love and passion into it ... but its just too old. snes is OK though

c64 games are all really bad because they didn't figure out how to do smooth scrolling on computers until jazz jackrabbit

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

c64 games are all really bad because they didn't figure out how to do smooth scrolling on computers until jazz jackrabbit

btw, i ave played super mario bros 3. lets clear that up. so that and mr gmmick are the two nes games ive played and finished although i didnt get the proper ending in gimmick cos it was too hard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

- Pyromancy is effective against bosses, so try to locate any Fire Flowers in levels. They'll unlock fire attacks temporarily.

- Most enemies have pretty basic AI, so don't be afraid to go toe-to-toe with them. Even with the Hero's limited attacks you can outwit and out-react most things.

- Like Dark Souls 3, the Hero has a powered-up form. Instead of Humanity, use Super Mushrooms to enter this "super" state and double your health.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Super Mario Bros. 2 is going to blow your mind dude.

I’ve heard this was released in Japan under a different title.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

- Most enemies have pretty basic AI, so don't be afraid to go toe-to-toe with them. Even with the Hero's limited attacks you can outwit and out-react most things.

This is kind of bs imho. I think the game does a poor job communicating what your enemies can and cannot do. I jumped over a turtle enemy on a small platform, skillfully landing right behind it (which, I would like to emphasize, the game has taught me is the best solution for everything up until this point) when it turned around and smacked me from behind! If you’re going to spring new mechanics on this players like this it should be telegraphed beforehand so that one has a fighting chance. This just felt like a cheap ‘gotcha’ death like something from I Wanna Be The Guy

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Game is ‘gently caress you’ hard, and theres an obnoxious amount of missable secrets, so dont feel bad playing along with a walkthrough or abusing cheese strats. Like, here’s a magic beanstalk, inside a random brick, oh and it’s literally invisible! gently caress off.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Literally only beat this turd by casting fireball from the way left side of the screen, and that’s WITH summoning my older brother as a green phantom at every opportunity. Honestly, just abuse the infinite ammo, game will gently caress you in the rear end every chance it gets.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
wow anothre game im gonna have to play with the gamefaqs page open [sounding monotonous but im actually really relieved and stoked to follow the instructions]

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

what can i say? i hate gaming, but love following instructions

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

- Pyromancy is effective against bosses, so try to locate any Fire Flowers in levels. They'll unlock fire attacks temporarily.

- Like Dark Souls 3, the Hero has a powered-up form. Instead of Humanity, use Super Mushrooms to enter this "super" state and double your health.

HolePisser1982 posted:

Game is ‘gently caress you’ hard, and theres an obnoxious amount of missable secrets, so dont feel bad playing along with a walkthrough or abusing cheese strats. Like, here’s a magic beanstalk, inside a random brick, oh and it’s literally invisible! gently caress off.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

These loving assholes need to look at how an elevator works in real life for ONCE. I just went down a pipe and wound up in the sky. For. The. Third. Time.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'll wait for the steam sale.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Can't believe no one has mentioned the star item that literally makes you invincible. Like, you can run through enemies and they just loving die. It's rare to be sure but I still don't understand why they would add such an obviously imbalanced item to the game.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Game was pretty tame in the beginning. I clear a few levels, no big deal. Then they stick you in this dark castle with some spooky as hell music with lava and fire everywhere. Well I overcome my nerves long enough to get to what I think is the end when this fucker shows up out of nowhere...

:stare: What the hell Nintendo? Wasn't expecting to have to lose sleep over a drat video game.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What determines whether or not fireworks go off at the end of a lvl?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kongming posted:

Game was pretty tame in the beginning. I clear a few levels, no big deal. Then they stick you in this dark castle with some spooky as hell music with lava and fire everywhere. Well I overcome my nerves long enough to get to what I think is the end when this fucker shows up out of nowhere...

:stare: What the hell Nintendo? Wasn't expecting to have to lose sleep over a drat video game.

In Training posted:

These loving assholes need to look at how an elevator works in real life for ONCE. I just went down a pipe and wound up in the sky. For. The. Third. Time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Recently did a small mario only run. Was pretty epic. Good luck OP.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

How the gently caress...

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Clips or it didn’t happen

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It was like 2 years ago. And I streamed all of it. If you missed it that's your problem. Might do another one if I can get through Turdstained and have time before Mario Maker 2 comes out.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

It was like 2 years ago. And I streamed all of it. If you missed it that's your problem. Might do another one if I can get through Turdstained and have time before Mario Maker 2 comes out.

I don’t want any spoilers.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

how come mario can breathe underwater in this one but can't by the time we've made it to Mario 64? answer me that, Nintendo, you hacks.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Aston posted:

how come mario can breathe underwater in this one but can't by the time we've made it to Mario 64? answer me that, Nintendo, you hacks.

wait, there are HOW MANY more of these games? i was on the fence before, but i don't know if i can check this out if it means committing to another 63.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Thinking of doing a fire flower build for my next run...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Just found out what the bricks are. The lore in this game is some serious nightmare fuel :gonk:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You know those brick blocks that give you coins? Turns out you can hit them more than once for more coins. This isn't explained anywhere in the game. Guess you're just supposed to figure it out! Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Average Bear posted:

You know those brick blocks that give you coins? Turns out you can hit them more than once for more coins. This isn't explained anywhere in the game. Guess you're just supposed to figure it out! Christ.

I just realized that they’re like the money rocks in Animal Crossing where you have to hit them as many times as possible in a short frame of time.