Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.thenation.com/article/neo-nazis-far-right-ukraine/

quote:

Post-Maidan Ukraine is the world’s only nation to have a neo-Nazi formation in its armed forces. The Azov Battalion was initially formed out of the neo-Nazi gang Patriot of Ukraine. Andriy Biletsky, the gang’s leader who became Azov’s commander, once wrote that Ukraine’s mission is to “lead the White Races of the world in a final crusade…against the Semite-led Untermenschen.” Biletsky is now a deputy in Ukraine’s parliament.

In the fall of 2014, Azov—which is accused of human-rights abuses, including torture, by Human Rights Watch and the United Nations—was incorporated into Ukraine’s National Guard.

quote:

Speaker of Parliament Andriy Parubiy cofounded and led two neo-Nazi organizations: the Social-National Party of Ukraine (later renamed Svoboda), and Patriot of Ukraine, whose members would eventually form the core of Azov.

quote:

The deputy minister of the Interior—which controls the National Police—is Vadim Troyan, a veteran of Azov and Patriot of Ukraine. In 2014, when Troyan was being considered for police chief of Kiev, Ukrainian Jewish leaders were appalled by his neo-Nazi background. Today, he’s deputy of the department running US-trained law enforcement in the entire nation.

quote:

In 2015, the Ukrainian parliament passed legislation making two WWII paramilitaries—the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) and the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA)—heroes of Ukraine, and made it a criminal offense to deny their heroism. The OUN had collaborated with the Nazis and participated in the Holocaust, while the UPA slaughtered thousands of Jews and 70,000-100,000 Poles on their own volition.

quote:

“Jews Out!” chanted thousands during a January 2017 march honoring OUN leader Bandera. (The next day the police denied hearing anything anti-Semitic.) That summer, a three-day festival celebrating the Nazi collaborator Shukhevych capped off with the firebombing of a synagogue. In November 2017, RFE reported Nazi salutes as 20,000 marched in honor of the UPA. And last April, hundreds marched in L’viv with coordinated Nazi salutes honoring SS Galichina; the march was promoted by the L’viv regional government.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

that's been a thing since 2014, they've just been getting stronger and more powerful because Ukraine has always been a fan of the fash.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
not all of ukraine, apparently the communist party was the second largest party in the country until they got banned following the right wing takeover?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

doesn't the main israeli arms manufacturer sell poo poo to these guys?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the us sponsored a nazi coup in the ukraine, op.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Everything is real hosed op

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The neonazi people were the ones being funded by the West as a means to fight Russia when they took Crimea so yeah chalk it up to another successful us foreign policy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And frankly if Ukraine is a bunch of Nazis then I gotta say I don't think Russia did anything wrong

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

azov are moderate rebels and there is nothing to see here you putinist shill

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

The neonazi people were the ones being funded by the West as a means to fight Russia when they took Crimea so yeah chalk it up to another successful us foreign policy.

the russians didn't move until after the coup

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
eastern europe is a great place because its one of the few areas of the world where you get western propaganda and russian propaganda being sold right next to each other. You can tell which is which because one is in the latin alphabet and the other is in cyrillic

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

fabergay egg posted:

doesn't the main israeli arms manufacturer sell poo poo to these guys?

Yep!
https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1014599236741206018

One of the other outlandish things that has happened in Ukraine is how, Natalie Jaresko, a US-born former State Department official and investment banker was appointed to Ukraine's finance minister after the coup. Of course, she immediately took out a loan from the IMF and helped further destroy the country's economy. She left the Ukrainian government in 2016 and is now in charge of the Financial Oversight Board of Puerto Rico, the un-elected governing body sucking the wealth from that US colony.

The Wall Street Journal loves her of course
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-iron-lady-tasked-with-fixing-puerto-ricos-money-problems-1536930016

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there an OP in D&D where I can read about this in order to properly brainwash myself

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

communism collapsed and then the carcass was picked apart by liberal capitalism, which really only leaves the far right

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its weird, poll after poll shows that in a lot of eastern europe there is pretty strong nostalgia for communism, and in some countries considerable portions of the population say that it was better than current system, but there is basically no actual communist political movements.

ukraine was a bit touchier because it was so heavily tied to the russian vs ukrainian nationalism, but for example in bulgaria 41% prefer communism vs 41% to capitalism

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Eastern Bloc countries got a lot of aid from soviet russia and it helped fund things like health care

what was that article where some lady who was young during the soviet era was nostalgic for communism because she remembers being far less stressed out and loving way more often than her adult daughter and son-in-law who are exhausted from working all the time

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
ukraine doesnt deserve independence let's be honest

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

communism collapsed and then the carcass was picked apart by liberal capitalism, which really only leaves the far right

The Communist Party was a vehicle for antisemitism throughout much of the Soviet Bloc during the Cold War.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Man Musk posted:

The Communist Party was a vehicle for antisemitism throughout much of the Soviet Bloc during the Cold War.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Soviet bloc?

more like revisionist bloc

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Eastern Bloc countries got a lot of aid from soviet russia and it helped fund things like health care

what was that article where some lady who was young during the soviet era was nostalgic for communism because she remembers being far less stressed out and loving way more often than her adult daughter and son-in-law who are exhausted from working all the time

she was from somewhere in former Yugoslavia too so she got to remember civil war and ethnic cleansing as soon as the communists left power

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There's another article I can't find that I could've sworn was published by the BBC, written by a woman who talked about how great communism was in Hungary. By all measures Hungary was the best country to live in the Eastern Bloc, because the party there took social grievances seriously after the failed revolution to avoid another one.

Now of course, Hungary is a fascist shithole and 72% of Hungarians think they were better off under communism.

really queer Christmas posted:

that's been a thing since 2014, they've just been getting stronger and more powerful because Ukraine has always been a fan of the fash.

It's definitely a case of liberal and nationalist politicians thinking they can control the Nazis as tools for their own petty power plays. Weird how that keeps happening, huh?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Man Musk posted:

Ok?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Man Musk posted:

how does this compare to literal nazis running these countries in your brain damaged mind

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Does the Czech Republic count?

They have recently had two massive anti-corruption protests against Prime Minister Babis for stealing EU money.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ukraine's president and prime minister are jewish, right? they're going to die if they fail

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

ukraine's president and prime minister are jewish, right? they're going to die if they fail

They've got their own Nazis on the payroll.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They've got their own Nazis on the payroll.
if you can't beat em, pay em

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Truniht posted:

Does the Czech Republic count?

let me czech

yes

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
ho ho but I kid

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Chokes McGee posted:

let me czech

yes

how bohemian

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

ukraine doesnt deserve independence let's be honest

There should be a big statue to Stalin and Zhukov in every city.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

mein leben

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

WARSAW, Poland (AP) — An activist in Poland has been arrested and charged with the crime of insulting the Polish nation for chanting “Down with Polish fascism!”

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when is kacynzki going to kick the bucket? i hear that he's the only thing keeping PiS together

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Plutonis posted:

WARSAW, Poland (AP) — An activist in Poland has been arrested and charged with the crime of insulting the Polish nation for chanting “Down with Polish fascism!”

cool, cool, things seem to be going well

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/may/07/viral-image/fact-checking-joe-biden-hunter-biden-and-ukraine/

quote:

• Hunter Biden did hold a directorship for a Ukrainian gas company while his father was vice president. Experts agree that Hunter Biden's acceptance of the position created a conflict of interest for his father.

• Vice President Joe Biden did urge Ukraine to fire its top prosecutor, with the threat of withholding U.S. aid. But that was the position of the wider U.S. government, as well as other international institutions.

• We found no evidence to support the idea that Joe Biden advocated with his son's interests in mind, as the message suggests. It's not even clear that the company was actively under investigation or that a change in prosecutors benefited it.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
http://orthochristian.com/115857.html

quote:

Former Vice President Joe Biden had a meeting with the schismatic “Patriarch” Philaret of the so-called “Kiev Patriarchate” on Monday, during which he expressed his support to the creation of an autocephalous church in Ukraine.

Pretty much every Eastern Orthodox church other than the ecumenical patriarch sees the US-backed Ukrainian orthodox church as illegitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

I was in Kiev just after the Maidan. The Azov were openly recruiting / flying their fash flags in the square. Old people were going up to them and shaking their hands. There were also skinheads lurking on the side alleys, and convoys of v. militarised looking trucks that would come patrol around. Lots of them were sneakily armed.

In certain bars they'd have subtle white nationalist imagery and some clubs literally had swastikas in the window. I met lots of people from the diaspora who were going to volunteer based out of a vague idea that their homeland needed them, despite being told who the Azov were I don't think they really understood what the deal was.

And then on the other side of the frontlines, you have those weird western 'volunteer' Tankies who hoot and holler about Stalin fighting in Donestk alongside grubby Duginites.

It was / is a very weird war.