Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

angerbeet posted:

This game has kind of stalled for me, it's kind of like "OK but to what end"

Maybe they'll add some fun stuff but it's now just like "oh no the Weasley's clock is in danger for the 53'rd time"

I've gotten some mystery items or whatever in relation to the actual plot from random encounters, so it seems like there might be some progression. My workplace has two ministry of magic biomes on either side so I've rescued ministry personnel over eighty times apparently. Definitely getting stale. I'm also about to hit a wall in my professor skill tree too because so much stuff looks like it's gated behind a resource you can't actually get yet (green books)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm not maxxed out on Fortresses or whatever, I'm lvl 9, I've got a greenhouse and an inn literally 2 floors down from me, it's just... boring. I have the same encounters over and over, fortresses are pretty samey, if I want to do a fortress I need to spend an hour building spell energy for it to be worthwhile.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, if I wasn't interested in doing fortresses, then I'd honestly just quit. You capture stuff on the map which fills out your sticker page, which gives you those items needed to progress your character stats, which lets you do higher levels in forts. Theres going to be special events where theres different stuff to cap, but its not PoGo where capturing shinies and rare stuff is the point.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I'm gonna ignore all the hate.

I'm enjoying it so far. As a longtime PoGo player, I find this game refreshing. It isn't supposed to be the same as PoGo, it's supposed to be different. And if collecting is your jam, go play PoGo. In fact, I still do both.

Fortresses are fun and a lesson tree to better your stats is cool. So far the various different complexities are fun. Even the guessing master notes to increase potion brew time is a nice little addition. There still is a rather large collection aspect to this game too. Once you finish a page, you can prestige it, making some of more common stuff "new" again.

I dunno, maybe I'll get bored of it in a few weeks, but I'll enjoy it for now.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I work in an office building that's already dense on Niantic's heatmap, so I constantly have several foundable spawns. There's a greenhouse right next to the building, which is nice for occasional lucky energy and working on achievements, but I don't have a steady energy source around here. I'm better off stocking up at clusters of inns that are elsewhere, then spending the energy at the office. There are a few green inns nearby if I walk, but the weather has been awful lately so gently caress that.

Also, yeah, definitely download assets under Settings to avoid having to do so in the future.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I don't expect this to "beat" Pokemon Go. It's designed to get people who aren't into pokemon and who are into HP instead.

I agree it's all samey right now, but so was PoGo at launch. If you play obsessively for a month your'e going to burn out just like everyone else did on Pokemon.

I still play Pokemon Go but I know a ton of people who burned themselves out. These games mostly work as time killers when you don't have much else to do.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

Hobo Clown posted:

I like that there's an overall "plot", but if it takes as long to complete as the Pokedex does I'll likely lose interest long before I ever finish it.

I bought the $1.99 starter pack no problem with my survey bucks.

Weird, when I tried to buy the starter pack it had my google pay balance ineligible. I'm in Canada if that makes a difference

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

PK posted:

I'm in Canada if that makes a difference
Nope. Canadian here, and I bought the starter pack with my Play credits no problem.

I'm like level 9 and still don't know what I am doing or why. I collect the things. So far this is pretty dull, but hey, there are more things to collect so I'll keep at it for some reason.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
So far its pretty similar to pokemon go, but instead of powering up your pokemons you level up your character in an RPG way. Find enough collectables and you can "prestige" them and find more for higher bonuses.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What did everyone pick for profession? I went with Auror for the health/damage bonuses. I'm likely to be playing solo most of the time so I figured that's my best chance at dealing with the fortresses.

Any decent upgrades in the other trees? If I switch professions do I still keep the bonuses I unlocked in the Auror tree?

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

i can still taste him posted:

Nope. Canadian here, and I bought the starter pack with my Play credits no problem.

I'm like level 9 and still don't know what I am doing or why. I collect the things. So far this is pretty dull, but hey, there are more things to collect so I'll keep at it for some reason.

Ok I don't know then. Just checked Diagon alley again and I still can't select my play balance as a payment method. :iiam:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Hobo Clown posted:

What did everyone pick for profession? I went with Auror for the health/damage bonuses. I'm likely to be playing solo most of the time so I figured that's my best chance at dealing with the fortresses.

Any decent upgrades in the other trees? If I switch professions do I still keep the bonuses I unlocked in the Auror tree?

Professor but can't see myself sticking with this, way too aggressive monetisation system is making the game unfun. Warner Bros are terrible.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hobo Clown posted:

Professions are:

Auror: DPS
Magizoologist: Tank/Support
Professor: DPS/Support(kinda hybrid of first 2)

Game Press states in their guide that because of balance problems, Professor is actually the most DPS right now.

quote:

If you switch you keep your progress but you don't get the materials you spent on your previous tree back.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Also I'm about to add a potions master note reference to the OP.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Thanks you!!! Having to guess those is just kinda dumb.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Are they the same for everyone? Or different per person? I assumed different per person, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Boywunda posted:

Are they the same for everyone? Or different per person? I assumed different per person, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're the same for everyone. I like trying to figure them out myself, but inevitably I get stuck on the last part of it and it's bloody irritating having to repeat the whole sequence to try and figure out what the last step is.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Picked it up recently, my small town has like no inns and few fortresses. The richie rich island nearby where I work at has a bit more stuff. However on the island there is this small religious camp for kids or some poo poo, I dont really know, but it has so many inns, fortresses, etc all in like a 3-5 minute walk. Like maybe 25 spots to interact with. It's mins boggling that after the debacle of pogos release where rural people were hosed, that this poo poo still isn't sorted. I was fortunate during pogos release to live in a large city so I was mainly unaffected. But I can totally see how in rural areas it's just not worth playing. You are forced into spending disproportionately compared to people who can just inn hop in a small radius.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

It seems like it's still using the same info from Ingress/Pokémon GO for the fortresses, etc.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You have AR turned off right?

Yeah, I do.

I think I just have an old phone, and it just can't handle it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Hobo Clown posted:

Yeah, I picked Auror for the exact same reason. No regrets.

And for some reason, Pokemon Go doesn't chew through my battery as quickly. Maybe they have the Battery Saver on that game more optimized.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Zotix posted:

Picked it up recently, my small town has like no inns and few fortresses. The richie rich island nearby where I work at has a bit more stuff. However on the island there is this small religious camp for kids or some poo poo, I dont really know, but it has so many inns, fortresses, etc all in like a 3-5 minute walk. Like maybe 25 spots to interact with. It's mins boggling that after the debacle of pogos release where rural people were hosed, that this poo poo still isn't sorted. I was fortunate during pogos release to live in a large city so I was mainly unaffected. But I can totally see how in rural areas it's just not worth playing. You are forced into spending disproportionately compared to people who can just inn hop in a small radius.

nashona posted:

It seems like it's still using the same info from Ingress/Pokémon GO for the fortresses, etc.

Yeah, unfortunately Niantic relies on player input to add new POIs, so you tend to get large clusters of stops in urban/suburban areas (where everyone plays) and few to none elsewhere (where nobody plays). There's no easy way to alleviate this problem.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Now I can lack real AND virtual energy, thanks niantic

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I guess there's a small event or something on Saturday.

So is there any point to not upgrading your little sticker sheets when you fill them out?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I guess there's a small event or something on Saturday.

So is there any point to not upgrading your little sticker sheets when you fill them out?

Nothing on that page matters, it's all flavor/flair. As far as I can tell, your title, wand, house, etc, don't make a difference in anything that affects balance.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 28, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Nothing on that page matters, it's all flavor/flair. As far as I can tell, your title, wand, house, etc, make difference in anything that affects balance.

Sorry, I meant the returned foundables sheets.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You get more XP but also you need to cast Ebublio at a clock 3000 times.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Jaxyon posted:

Nothing on that page matters, it's all flavor/flair. As far as I can tell, your title, wand, house, etc, make difference in anything that affects balance.

You mean 'don't make a difference' right?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Has everyone on my friends list not added a profile pic, or is that something that doesn't get shared?

Also I cannot figure out how to get rid of that red dot next to the profile. I've clicked everything.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

Has everyone on my friends list not added a profile pic, or is that something that doesn't get shared?

Also I cannot figure out how to get rid of that red dot next to the profile. I've clicked everything.

The game doesn’t share your picture unless you share it through one social or another. I wish there was a switch I could flip to share mine, it’s awful and I love it.

That stupid profile pic red dot: you have to take a new photo, as there are a few options you can’t check unless you take a fresh photo. You can delete it and keep your old photo after you get rid of those red dotted new features.

I’ve yet to plant a single damned seed.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You can't share pictures because there's no way to stop someone posting dick pics, so the whole stupid thing is 100% useless.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Added everyone upthread - my code is 2717 7026 5600.

Overall, it’s enjoyable. Starting to get a touch repetitive, but prestiging the collectables should help with that. My wife is a huge HP fan, so I’m mainly tagging along with her, but it’s fun enough for what it is.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

shut up blegum posted:

You mean 'don't make a difference' right?

Yes sorry

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012
Agree that I'm rather enjoying it so far. I added everyone upthread. Here's my number: 3996 3556 6722

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have no idea what almost anything is or what I’m doing in this game so I know I’m doing it all wrong but it looks nice and is somehow still kinda fun.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Why not? I have some free time since I’ve given up Ingress.

3187 6669 6709

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I'm really disliking the aggressive monetization. Energy having a cap is a blatant cash grab.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there any way to get energy besides the little dribs and drabs from inns? They give so little.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there any way to get energy besides the little dribs and drabs from inns? They give so little.

I think there might be some difference in the type of inns and the food they serve which give different amounts of energy. You can sometimes get 4 energy from plucking a plant at a greenhouse. And the 10 energy you can get from the daily achievement.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just drive to the nearby inns like a loser, works for me.