Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Exactly how does the multiplayer part of this game work?

I tried to take on a fortress with my sister, but all we ended up with was more foes to kill. We couldn't team up to take one of them together etc.
Doesn't really feel useful at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Datasmurf posted:

Exactly how does the multiplayer part of this game work?

I tried to take on a fortress with my sister, but all we ended up with was more foes to kill. We couldn't team up to take one of them together etc.
Doesn't really feel useful at the moment.

You get to use skills to help out other players, for example auror throws some hexes to make enemies easier and magizoologist can use heals on other players while they're fighting.

In easier chambers it's not very useful but later on it'll be more important.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
The most important thing I've found as a Magizoologist is that you can use your heal charms on yourself. Multiple times per "turn" if needed. This makes you pretty tanky and able to solo through quite a lot more stuff.

e: Obligatory friend code add - 9289 4985 4797

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

AirRaid posted:

The most important thing I've found as a Magizoologist is that you can use your heal charms on yourself. Multiple times per "turn" if needed. This makes you pretty tanky and able to solo through quite a lot more stuff.

e: Obligatory friend code add - 9289 4985 4797

What are Heal Charms? I feel like I missed something big as I'm level 14. I only know about using healing potions...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Two things I hate:

Too much Ebublio.
Inns love to give me Pumpkin Juice after showing me that alongside four Turkey Dinners.

EVG posted:

What are Heal Charms? I feel like I missed something big as I'm level 14. I only know about using healing potions...

Should be a learnable ability in your profession tree. Might depend on your class; I know I get them as a Professor.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Delete all your granian hair and lovage in your ingredients. Theres really no reason to ever make the weaker invigoration and existmulo potions since the ingredients for the stronger ones are relatively common.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Another thing that kinda bothers me is I can't tell how many Foundable fragments I have of something I encounter. It would help to know if I'm getting duplicates so I can save energy for filling out pages.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

DizzyBum posted:

Another thing that kinda bothers me is I can't tell how many Foundable fragments I have of something I encounter. It would help to know if I'm getting duplicates so I can save energy for filling out pages.

If you click on the item on the registry page it will tell you how many fragments you have. Or did you mean in the encounter/catch screen?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

PK posted:

If you click on the item on the registry page it will tell you how many fragments you have. Or did you mean in the encounter/catch screen?

Yeah, the encounter screen. It's easy to tell in Pokemon Go since you get the Poke Ball icon if it's already in your Pokedex.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

A couple QOL improvements I'd appreciate:

- Potions should carry over from encounter to encounter. It's annoying to down an existmulo potion, get one toss (which you fail and then the thing disappears), and then it's gone. It says it's good for 4 casts, give me 4 casts!

- I should also be able to exit and re-enter a fortress as long as the timer hasn't run out. A few times now I've run out of energy mid-battle and my only option is to buy more, despite being surrounded by Inns.

- Let me manage my ingredients from the "No More Room" pop-up. I always forget to clear out space before entering a portkey.

The current way encourages more IAP though so I don't expect much to change.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

EVG posted:

The square skills in your skill tree are charms/hexes. They can be applied to players or enemies in fortresses as appropriate, by dragging them from the bottom menu to the target. The first one you unlock as Magizoologist is the Stamina Charm which restores a portion of lost stamina to any player including yourself.

The other thing to note is that "Focus" is the amount of times you can use these (the bar just above where you see your charms). There are skills to increase your max focus, and you gain some focus after defeating an enemy. Or by using a potion but I'm not sure how necessary that would be, maybe later on.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I need one more friend, you dumb jerks! :D

3187-6669-6709

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL
Also of note is that the Baruffio's Brain Elixir doubles XP from many activities, so it's worth chugging one before doing things that will yield lots of XP (portkeys and fortresses mostly, but also just wandering around a park with lots of stuff going on).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I've never seen the powdered dragon claw that is used to make it, though I still have a bunch of those potions from levelling up and such. Its way too hard to tell what some of the ingredients are on the map, all the various hairs look way too similar.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 3, 2019

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I think dawdle elixirs might be bugged.
I used one then used a potency potion, got a Great cast as first attempt and the confoundable disappeared immediately after the first cast.

Unless you can't use two potions at once for some reason

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've never seen the powdered dragon claw that is used to make it, though I still have a bunch of those potions from levelling up and such. Its way too hard to tell what some of the ingredients are on the map, all the various hairs look way too similar.
I've only gotten powdered dragon claw (and that shell thing) from portkeys. Which sucks, because it seems that many cheaper Android phones don't allow you to use the portkeys as they require a gyroscope for AR+. I'm having to log onto other people's accounts just to open their portkeys for them, and I can only do it because I was lucky to have bought a new fancy phone recently, my two old ones can't do it either.

busb posted:

I used one then used a potency potion, got a Great cast as first attempt and the confoundable disappeared immediately after the first cast.

I've had a bunch of suspicious turn 1 escapes, especially when moving or with bad GPS. Pokemon Go had this issue too, if your movement was too strange the Pokemon would flee regardless of what you did. Perhaps it's that?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Friend code 3991 9581 2069

I've been enjoying the game so far and am pretty stoked for the chance to get some forbidden books once the event starts today. Luckily I have a park near me that has 2 inns and a fortress all within range of a conveniently placed bench, plus a path around the park that is almost exactly 1k long.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Entropist posted:

I've had a bunch of suspicious turn 1 escapes, especially when moving or with bad GPS. Pokemon Go had this issue too, if your movement was too strange the Pokemon would flee regardless of what you did. Perhaps it's that?

Got my first “Masterful” cast today on some low-medium thingy and of course it escaped.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Forbidden Forest event just went live. Event encounters have a purple icon/aura.

jnnnnn posted:

Also of note is that the Baruffio's Brain Elixir doubles XP from many activities, so it's worth chugging one before doing things that will yield lots of XP (portkeys and fortresses mostly, but also just wandering around a park with lots of stuff going on).

Yep. What I've been doing is unlocking a full stack of portkeys, then chugging an EXP potion and running through all of them, then using the remaining time on raids and/or encounters.

busb posted:

You can definitely stack the potency and dawdle potions. You were just particularly unlucky, and I think the flee rate on things in general is pretty high.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 3, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Oh god is everything gonna be in the yellow for this event

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh god is everything gonna be in the yellow for this event

So far I've only found Buckbeaks and unicorns, and Buckbeak is much easier to get than the unicorn. The unicorn loves to resist.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

DizzyBum posted:

So far I've only found Buckbeaks and unicorns, and Buckbeak is much easier to get than the unicorn. The unicorn loves to resist.

Chugged a potent elixir and took 3 Great casts

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I always knew that unicorns were assholes

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I always knew that unicorns were assholes

That episode of Gravity Falls is pretty great.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Welp I'm basically nearly done with the event quests already, all that's left is the brew 7 potions and unlock 5 portkeys part.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

DizzyBum posted:

You can definitely stack the potency and dawdle potions. You were just particularly unlucky, and I think the flee rate on things in general is pretty high.

Yeah i double checked and think i misread it as 'makes them stay for 3 casts' but its just 'reduce flee chance for 3 casts'. So its impossible to know if its working or not really.

Also was reading a faq from beta that said it literally doesn't matter if your cast is fair, good, great or masterful, only the colour of the bar that you land on. Which would be pretty lame. Nearly everything that's come up for me its a solid one colour bar.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

busb posted:

everything that's come up for me its a solid one colour bar.

This changes as you level up. Just hit 16 and I see bars that are multicolored on most medium things now. Half yellow/half green

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Those of you struggling with masterful casts- I've managed to dramatically improve my rate of masterful just by doing traces way faster. I'd been sitting on 4 masterfuls in my achievement bar since I started the game and now that I said gently caress it and focused more on speed I've got 47/100 on the achievement.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Marchegiana posted:

Those of you struggling with masterful casts- I've managed to dramatically improve my rate of masterful just by doing traces way faster. I'd been sitting on 4 masterfuls in my achievement bar since I started the game and now that I said gently caress it and focused more on speed I've got 47/100 on the achievement.

Definitely just do them as fast as you can, and after a while your accurancy will start to pick off.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Ebublio is where I excel at masterful casts. About 150 or so so far

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Aguamenti and Diffindo are the easiest for me to masterful. Fillipendo is pretty easy too. Ebublio gives me more issues because of the length of it and I’m bad at the long sweeping circular motion.

But yes speed is a huge factor in casting well - the meter starts at the top and counts down as long as you have your finger on the trace. Then goes back up depending on the accuracy of your tracing.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is the "different countries" achievement bugged? I'm an American on vacation in Europe and it still says I've only been to one country.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

Is the "different countries" achievement bugged? I'm an American on vacation in Europe and it still says I've only been to one country.

You can try changing your phone language and time to the country you're visiting.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
quote is not edit

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

DeadlyHalibut posted:

You can try changing your phone language and time to the country you're visiting.

The time changed automatically when I landed, but changing the language just now caused it to pop, so thanks! That's a weird way to program it for a GPS based game.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I'm really pissed off with portkeys. Twice now I've entered one and then it decided I left the portkey area even though I didn't move at all. Then I can't get back in at all and I lose the portkey. It's annoying.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Can someone explain how greenhouses work? Whenever I plant anything and come back it's gone? Does that mean someone else has harvested it???

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

jerman999 posted:

Can someone explain how greenhouses work? Whenever I plant anything and come back it's gone? Does that mean someone else has harvested it???

The items pop up around the greenhouse (e: on the map) and you have 30 minutes to collect them.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Also different plants have different grow times.

I have never planted or harvested anything because I can never guarantee I'll be back at the same place in X number of hours, so gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Just gotta say that I love the Slytherin student's "i was a ferret, so what" look after you save her