Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is she cute?
This poll is closed.
Yes! She'll sell very well!! 28 40.00%
Yes! She'll sell very well!! 14 20.00%
Yes! She'll sell very well!! 18 25.71%
Yes! She'll sell very well!! 10 14.29%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

pictured: the ever growing cast
not pictured: sanity

Welcome to the Worst of All Worlds!

appropriate music.
SINoALICE is a fairy-tale themed mobile ga-

Wait, come back!

*Ahem

SINoALICE is a fair-tale themed mobile game brought to you in part by the mind of Taro Yoko, also responsible for the Nier and Drakengard games (except for that one we don't talk about), amongst other things. It launched just over 2 years ago, on June 6 2017 in Japan, and is launching on July 18th for the rest of us plebes. You can pre-register here. Pre-registering gives you 150 twilight crystals (used for rolling the gacha), plus upgrade materials. The (long since reached) Twitter follower campaign means everyone gets an extra 300 crystals, Sleeping Beauty's Sorcerer job (with a weapon), the Nightmare Fina, Loyal Falsehood, and some weapon EXP.

There's a guide to installing the Japanese version here, but if you need to use that you probably shouldn't bother, since the main appeal (to me, at least) is the story.

I'm too lazy to do fancy headers. Maybe later.

The Basics

Combat in Sinoalice has an active time gauge. Like everyone who has written a guide for a game, I will be borrowing these lovely visual aids from Twitter user @Rahmennoodlez.

Prior to battle, you'll need to equip some equipment, divided into three types: Weapons, armor and Nightmares.

(translated version of this screen courtesy of the wiki)

Weapons have a type, rarity, stats, skills, and, like any good Taro Yoko game, weapon stories. :woop:

Weapons are divided into eight classes, each associated with a character class. They're then further divided into attack and support, then further beyond that.

There are Attack weapons and Support weapons.

The four attack weapons are:
-Blades, associated with the Breaker class. They deal single-target physical damage.
-Hammers, associated with the Crusher class. They deal multi-target physical damage.
-Ranged, associated with the Gunner class. They deal single-target magical damage.
-Polearms, associated with the Paladin class. They deal multi-target magical damage.

The four support weapons are:
-Foci, associated with the Caster class. They.... Deal damage, typically.
-Tomes, associated with the Sorcerer class. They supply debuffs.
-Staves, associated with the Cleric class. They primarily heal.
-Instruments, associated with the Minstrel class. They're mostly for debuffs.

The Rarity works like most gacha games. There's 6 tiers, with rarer weapons being generally better. From lowest to highest:
C
B
A
S
SS
L

Weapons provide four stats, attack and defence of the physical and magical variety.

Skills vary from weapon to weapon, but they're how you attack in this game. Depending on what situation you're in (Regular fights, Colosseum fights, or helping someone else) they'll have different effects. Skills cost SP, which replenishes over time.

Weapon stories are... What they sound like! Just 'fun' background you get as you upgrade a weapon.

Some weapons also unlock a job for a character.

So let's look at an example:

The Violin of Restriction

The Violin is, of course, an instrument, meaning it provides attack buffs. In both regular fights and the colosseum, it raises one ally's attack by a significant amount. When aiding someone in the Colosseum, it instead gives a chance to reduce the cost of a skill whenever it's used.

You equip two sets of weapons; The main grid, where you fully benefit from a weapon's stats and use the skills for fighting, and the sub grid, where you just benefit from a portion of the stats and don't have access to the equipped weapon's skills.

Armor is more straightforward: You can equip a piece for your head, body, hands and feet. Armor only gives defence, but also has a passive skill that gives a bonus to your weapons of a given type. Having all four pieces of armor from a set grants an additional bonus (EG, increases the effects of skills vs. Humans).

For example:

The Schoolgirl's Headphones (Blades). It, naturally, boosts the effectiveness of Blade skills. Equipping the whole set increases the effects of skills vs. humans.

The third equipment type is Nightmares. Nightmares are, in this context, summons that provide support effects to benefit all your allies (or debuff your enemies). Nightmares don't directly inflict damage, and can be summoned once per battle.

For example...

Some kind of... big dumb dragon?

The big dumb dragon's skill increases the attack of all allies, physical and magical.

Leveling items past a certain point requires combining more than one copy in a process called limit breaking. Limit breaking can also add weapon stories and change equipment's appearance.

Weapons during combat, in review:

I'll add that for buff effects, if you have an ally (or allies) with you, it will pick a target at random, as far as I can tell at least.

Yeah. Taro Yoko hates you.

The combat screen, as described by the aforementioned twitter user:

The Cast

When you start the game, you'll be prompted to pick from one of four lovely ladies?, so let's start with them. Don't feel pressured, though; You can unlock the others by doing their first story quest. Everyone starts with a job, and more are unlocked via :20bux: the gacha :20bux:

Every character is associated with a 'concept'. What does that mean? Well...

Alicethe best girl
Default Class: Breaker

Concept: Bondage posted:

The imposition of limits which remove one’s freedom. Actions which physically inhibit the movement of others.
① She ░░░░░░ herself. All for the sake of living as a silent blade.
② Her actions are rooted in “intuition” and lack any apparent basis of ░░░░░░ ― such is “no good, no evil”.

Taro's Take:Very cute! I believe she’ll sell well!!

Red Riding Hood
Default class: Crusher

"Concept: Violence posted:

Actions which cause physical harm to a person’s body or possessions. The reckless use of one’s strength.
① She is prone to unreasonable behaviour, such as ░░░░░░ and claiming her acts of violence are meant to be playful.
② Her intelligence is extremely low in comparison to ░░░░░░, whom she works with.

Pinocchio
Default class: Crusher

Concept: Dependency posted:

A relationship in which both parties rely upon one another. Also, the inability to escape from such a relationship.
① Someone that can ░░░░░░ is good enough for me. Being alone means having nobody that I can depend on.
② Such people further enfeeble the weak, rendering them abject and ░░░░░░.

Snow White
Default class: Breaker

"Concept: Justice posted:

Just behaviour. Moral correctness. The system of imposing strict punishments against violations of the law.
① The ░░░░░░ upon which you place your faith is evil in my eyes.
② Even if ░░░░░░, continuing to adhere will warp one’s virtue into wicked zealotry.

In addition to the initial characters, there's...

Briar Rose aka The Sleeping Beauty.
Default Class: Crusher. Gunner can be unlocked from playing her story, and Sorcerer can be unlocked via pre-registration.

Concept: Slumber posted:

A recurring physiological condition involving suspended consciousness. The act of sleeping.
① The only way to make your dreams to come true in this deranged world is to ░░░░░░.
② Arguing against the harm of ░░░░░░ and other pressing crises brings stillness to her heart.

Cinderella
Default Class: Gunner

Concept: Depravity posted:

Actions or mannerisms which are seen as vulgar and squalid.
① Those who seize and pay homage to ░░░░░░ are those who understand the importance of life.
② Paint your surroundings with false ░░░░░░ and laugh it off as a matter of course.

Gretal
Default Class: Breaker

Concept: Delusion posted:

Fiction or the lack of truth. Lies. Falsehoods.
① He was lying to me. I’m sure he’s been taken by ░░░░░░.
② Humans fall prey to their own traps, ░░░░░░ and unaware of what they have become ― ░░░░░░.

Kaguya
Default Class: Paladin

Concept: Suffering posted:

To be oppressed by others. The feeling of being tormented.
① The woman who woke me up in the morning was a pervert with a taste for ░░░░░░.
② The people were not supposed to be afflicted with ░░░░░░.

(The) Little Mermaid
Default Class: Gunner

Concept: Sorrow posted:

A feeling of sadness and grief. A display of deep distress.
① What manner of disillusionment in ░░░░░░ must I be subjected to?
② Suffer in the extreme ░░░░░░ of your own death.

There are more characters that were added after launch, too. Thus far, there's Dorothy, Nutcracker, The Three Little Pigs, Aladdin and Rapunzel.

There are also a few event characters; The game's launch event is a Nier Automata crossover. You can get 2B(Breaker) for logging in, as well as 2B(Crusher), A2(Breaker), 9S(Paladin) and Emil(Cleric) from the gacha. Drakengard's One, Zero, Accord, Four and boy!Mikhail are available from a later event.

The Colosseum

Do you hate yourself? Do you hate yourself a lot?

Don't bother with this.

Do you like hurting yourself to Kaguya levels?

Well, maybe bother with this.

All jokes aside, the colosseum is SINoALICE's PvP element. It's not quite as bad as I'm making it out to be, but if you want to try and grind out the high tier rewards, it's a pain. It's also a headache to understand how it even works if you're like me, and trying to puzzle out the rules with your tiny gaijin brain's limited understanding of the mystical runes of nippon. :japan:

Simply put, the Colosseum is a guild event takes place once a day, for twenty minutes, starting at one of eight times (JST in the JP version, no idea about global yet!) selected by your guild's leader. Your weapons will (usually) have different effects, as will your Nightmares.

When you enter a Colosseum battle, you're put into a 15 vs 15 battle vs. another guild. Whichever guild does the most damage wins.

Players are divided into four locations: Attacker, recovery, support and tank. Attacking and support is what it sounds like; You're equipped with one of those weapon types and have at it. Recovery is where you go to recover SP; Unlike normal battles, you don't get SP back over time, instead needing to go to the recovery area to do so. I'm not entirely clear on what the tank area is, I only know that it broadly exists and even the name is second hand knowledge. It might be the vanguard (IE, top 5 players in your guild)? Participating nets you medals for weapons, jobs, gacha rolls, and so on.

Doing well enough lets your guild enter the Gran(d) Colossseum, which is similar, but has much cooler rewards, like the Half-Nightmare class.

Half-Nightmares are pretty cool, so do your best even if it's a pain, yea? :v:

Other resources
The Sinoalice wiki. It's a bit spotty and incomplete in places, but helpful in others. I've contributed to it a little, even. :toot:
/r/SINoALICE_en. The subreddit and discord are good places to ask questions. They're not super active, but most of the people on them are generally hardcore enough fans to know most basic stuff.

Have a fun memorable experience in the Library!

And they all lived happily ever after...

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
e: that's what I get for hitting reply instead of preview

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
also reserved just in case

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
#TeamSnowWhite for sure. Hype.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i'm both terrified and intrigued

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Just from a glance it looks like it plays like granblue. I would love to play something with the content of GB without the billions of loading screens.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
I don't usually go for gacha games these days but I'll give this a look just to see what Taro does with the genre. Just hope the mindfuckery is relatively accessible for non-whales.

Are there any Nier: Automata spoilers in the game or on the wiki that someone who hasn't played Automata yet should be aware of?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

a glitch posted:

I don't usually go for gacha games these days but I'll give this a look just to see what Taro does with the genre. Just hope the mindfuckery is relatively accessible for non-whales.

Are there any Nier: Automata spoilers in the game or on the wiki that someone who hasn't played Automata yet should be aware of?

Not that I recall. The Reality and Fusion arcs (approximately one and two years away respectively) relate to the greater Drakengard/Nier universe, though.

With regards to whaling: You can definitely finish all the story content without needing to whale. The gacha rates are more generous than say, FGO, but not as much as GBF.

That said, there are some PvP elements (Colosseum. do not play colosseum) that I'll add into the OP a bit later that you'll either need incredible luck or to spend some money on if you want to be competitive, but down that way lies madness (do not play colosseum).

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 26, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There was a recent interview about SINoALICE where Taro Yoko talked about the challenges of writing for a mobile game. The most notable part:

interview posted:

Q. Is there anything you could share about the ending you are preparing?

Yoko Taro: It's a really fun ending, but I'm afraid you everyone will leave the room if I reveal it here (laughs).
I would like all users to see the ending, but I'm in trouble because now there are several versions of SINoALICE.
If I show an ending for one of them, other users whose service is still ongoing will get spoilers.
So recently I told to Pokelabo that I wanted to change the ending for each region.
There's nothing definite yet, but I don't know what kind of ending the Korean users will see.

Oh Taro. :allears:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I rarely play phone games, and the ones I do play I'm usually bored of in less than a week, but for Yoko Taro I'll go all the way with this one

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

only getting into this game as a tide over until arknights comes out next year but i'm still ridic interested in yoko taro + edgy fairy tales. would you say rerolling would still be worth doing if it's easy enough to guarantee a good roll or should i go full 'whatever i get on the first roll is what i go with'?

e: i guess in addition to the rerolling question, would the free mats from the prereg get in the way of that or is that something you link up after the fact?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 5, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I came here for Yoko Taro.

I have the game pregistered. I just wanna feel the feels and some whaaaattt twists.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doing his bit for the global tourism industry, whatta guy :allears:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Ground floor!

Super hyped for this

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Futaba Anzu posted:

only getting into this game as a tide over until arknights comes out next year but i'm still ridic interested in yoko taro + edgy fairy tales. would you say rerolling would still be worth doing if it's easy enough to guarantee a good roll or should i go full 'whatever i get on the first roll is what i go with'?

e: i guess in addition to the rerolling question, would the free mats from the prereg get in the way of that or is that something you link up after the fact?

I watched this video, and i think it covers rerolling pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4aBxek-7e4

Regarding the free mats. I'm not sure. But I think its something every account gets regardless if you pre reged, except maybe the google play store pre req specifically

edit:

a glitch posted:

You should play nier automata regardless.
But it has sort of minor spoilers of the second boss in nier automata. And characters who show up.

Nothing that is a mayor spoiler really

Sefal fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 9, 2019

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
It comes out in the US later this week, yeah? I'm interested. GBF felt like too much. I didn't care for FGO. I'm hoping this'll grab me.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Irritated Goat posted:

It comes out in the US later this week, yeah? I'm interested. GBF felt like too much. I didn't care for FGO. I'm hoping this'll grab me.

July 18th yeah. For US and EU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Have they said anything about whether people in the US and EU can friend each other/join the same guilds? I couldn't find any info about that. Haven't played a lot of mobile games so I don't know if region locking accounts is a common thing to be worried about or not

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It's one version, (Global) and I'm already seeing people from different regions join one guild. Though this might not be something I advice. Since some of the guild stuff requires you all to be online at the same time. Which is harder to do with people all over the globe.

It's not out yet. So I can't 100% for sure say they wont region lock it. But it's not looking like it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I can't wait to reroll myself into oblivion next week. I want cindy.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

managment team posted:

Hello, everyone.
This is the Management Team for SINoALICE.

First and foremost, we would like to express our sincerest apologies to inform everyone who has been waiting a long time for the World Wide Launch, that the service schedule has been delayed.

SINoALICE is a work in progress that began last year, during which we aimed to open its services on July 18th, 2019.

As the opening date draws nearer, we have been running our final maintenances and check-ups for the global service. However, we have come to the conclusion that the localization quality of SINoALICE is nowhere near perfect at this stage of development.

In this regard, we have made many discussions with the Japanese developers, and at the cost of rescheduling the World Wide Launch, we have decided to optimize the localization of the game to provide the highest level of satisfaction for all users.

As the service schedule has been delayed, we are fully aware that many of you are disappointed and once again, we take this opportunity to apologize for our shortcomings.

As much hype there was built up for the global service of SINoALICE, our priority is to provide you with an experience that exceeds your expectations. We hope you understand that we have made a very difficult decision in delaying our global services.

The future World Wide Launch schedule is currently being negotiated.

As much as you are curious about the exact date of release, we will try our best to bring you the fully localized version of SINoALICE as soon as possible.

Furthermore, compensatory rewards for the service delay are currently being discussed internally.
We will notify you about the new World Wide Launch date and compensations through detailed announcements in the future.

Once again, we would like to express our sincerest apologies to everyone who has shown so much love and interest in SINoALICE.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

That sucks. Its a dumb gacha game but I just wanna play through the story.

Oh well, maybe we'll get it eventually.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Well, looks like they're taking the time to make sure the writing is up to snuff, which I appreciate since it'll be the only reason I play this game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Considering how pessimistic I was about Nexon that's... Kind of a good sign? Maybe?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Still no news?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still no news?

Sadly not.

There's a code Geass collab on JP, though!

Unlike the Drakengard/Nier collabs, Suzaku and LeLouch actually talk to the locals. They fare... As well as you'd expect.

Euphemia's in the gacha too. The theory that the entire setting of SINoALICE is Drakengard's version of hell or purgatory gains further credence. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 29, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/348082/Layoffs_at_Nexon_America_as_two_Californiabased_offices_are_closed.php

Well, in all likelyhood the NA release is going to get cancelled now. That's a downer. :/

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I wouldnt say that yet. The end of the article says they are consolidating publishing into one unit so most likely they just release a global English version for all regions including US and EU.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Still holding out hope

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I wouldnt say that yet. The end of the article says they are consolidating publishing into one unit so most likely they just release a global English version for all regions including US and EU.

The way it mentions three titles and conspicuously doesn't have sinoalice is really weird, though...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
As far as I can tell this game has been removed from pre-reg/ the Google Play store completely.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
well poo poo

edit: actually no I still see it on the Play Store, so maybe there's hope?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah it was gone from the store but now it's back with my prereg still active.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was kinda hoping Nexon would try to sell the publishing rights or something before giving both barrels to their NA divison, or whatever the hell they're doing. No such luck, I guess.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I saw on a Discord that on the iOS store it's now listed as coming out on September 30th.

Anyone able to check that? It may or may not mean anything if it is, but hey.

I'm already hesitant on spending money on a nexon game but man if this ever does come out globally I'll be even more so.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
No sign of it on the UK iOS store, but that could just be Europe getting left out of a global release.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Still nothing on the game, but the Reality arc manga is coming along.

https://mangadex.org/title/38706/sinoalice

There's something very weird about seeing Alice emote in any way whatsoever.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Cuntellectual posted:

I saw on a Discord that on the iOS store it's now listed as coming out on September 30th.

Anyone able to check that? It may or may not mean anything if it is, but hey.

I'm already hesitant on spending money on a nexon game but man if this ever does come out globally I'll be even more so.

All I have is this^ from when I pre ordered it on ios back then. No sign of it on the actual ios store though. Sep 30 has been there for a while, so seems like a placeholder.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Holy poo poo.

So I guess this may actually come out now that Nexon is getting out of the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

Holy poo poo.

So I guess this may actually come out now that Nexon is getting out of the process.

Yoko Taro

Yoko Taro!

YOKO TARO