Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

When I wqs growing up the landlord hired a landscaping company to mow my mom's lawn. Because of this I really never learned how to properly mow a lawn. So now my yard is in a state of disrepair and I blame that fucker.

pro tip: weeds and grass are both green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RBC posted:

"financial stress" includes making a 29% return instead of 30%

They are also probably mad since the new NY state shut down tricks like the old "renovation" scam

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

It's hilarious how any regulation or making slightly less money makes these people flip out.
i had a landlord who was trying to do this with the building i lived in (he owns another building that he successfully took off of rent regulations). the only reason i knew it was rent stabilized was because a building inspector told one of my roommates that it was. he's currently the only person living in that apartment, down from me and two other people. but because of our fight (i'll give him most of the credit), everyone in the building now knows that Richard Bennett is a loving rear end in a top hat

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Finicums Wake posted:

when i had a landlord who was also the property manager, chaos and ruin ensued. but when i was at some corporate owned place, the property manager was just a dude sitting at a desk who might help me out, but probably not.

it's funny that the petit-bourgeoisie has been personally more harmful than the actual ruling class, for me, when it has come to renting

makes sense, this is true with small business owners as well

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i like to sum up my experience living under terrible landlord Richard Bennett with one anecdote:

on a Friday night, i was kept up all night by a mouse scurrying around my room and making noises by walking around. the following morning, Bennett drove in from his residence in Long Island to make the rounds in the building he owned, driving a new Mercedes Benz and wearing a faux-fur pimp jacket

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I listened to this on the way into work this morning

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Airbnb has extended landlord rule another 1000 years, hopefully they can be found criminally liable for something and the company liquidated.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Airbnb has extended landlord rule another 1000 years, hopefully they can be found criminally liable for something and the company liquidated.
burn San Francisco to the ground again, while we're at it. Jerry Falwell was right, that place is sodom and gomorrah

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.biggerpockets.com/

a social network, for landlords

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
http://www.viruscomix.com/page520.html

quote:

The Five Kinds of Landlords
  • Useless, Faceless Absentee
  • Pleasant but Useless
  • Horrible and Useless and Horrible and Old and Horrible
  • Insurmountable Language or Intelligence Barrier
  • Your Parents

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the guy on the left in the video still image is Burak Firik and he was my landlord for about a year. before he got caught trying to build an Airbnb hostel in an apartment that he and a business partner/literal partner in crime signed a lease for, he spent the last couple of months putting unoccupied rooms in my five-bedroom in Crown Heights on that site. i had no idea what he was planning at the time, considering that i got my room in that apartment over Craigslist. it all made sense when one of my roommates there sent me that story

by the way, that five-bedroom unit, along with the other five-bedroom units in the building, were originally one-bedroom. he kicked everyone out, first the left side of the building and then the right side, to convert them into three-bedroom units. this was in summer 2015 and they still haven't finished the work

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
My daughter is renting an apartment that, no poo poo, her landlord told her she couldn't occupy during May - August because she was going to airbnb it during those months (she could come back after, though). She changed her mind, we're still not quite sure why, but it sure ain't because it's against the law.

Renting in PEI is stupid, and Charlottetown is the idiotic heap of the dumb pile.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a friend of mine lived in a small room that just had a bed, a closet, and some room for his stuff, although i suppose he technically had two roommates but they lived in the proper apartment and he had access to there. he was kicked out because the landlord wanted his son to move in

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Airbnb is pretty much peak landlordism and I deplore how much of any area with tech jobs is filled with that sort of opportunism at the cost of tenants.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

Airbnb is pretty much peak landlordism and I deplore how much of any area with tech jobs is filled with that sort of opportunism at the cost of tenants.
san francisco needs to be irradiated so that nothing can live there for 500 years

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Finicums Wake posted:

when i had a landlord who was also the property manager, chaos and ruin ensued. but when i was at some corporate owned place, the property manager was just a dude sitting at a desk who might help me out, but probably not.

it's funny that the petit-bourgeoisie has been personally more harmful than the actual ruling class, for me, when it has come to renting

it's the same thing with small business owners

when you're dealing with one dude who just owns one or two buildings, they're a petty controlling tyrant who endlessly harasses and terrorizes anyone who annoys them in any way

of course, big corporations are terrible as well, but at least there's a good chance they'll see you as nothing more than a number on a balance sheet and treat you with mere apathy rather than outright contempt

plus big companies deal with more people, which makes them vulnerable to collective action. the apartment complex I live in got bought and sold a few times through a succession of bigger and bigger real estate companies until it ended up in the hands of some big national conglomerate. the place started noticeably getting worse and there was no response at all to complaints.

then a bunch of people started organizing the tenants in the building, forming discussion groups to share problems and complaints, and held an open meeting to discuss the issues people had and propose collective action. within 12 hours of that meeting, the building management was sending out notices with a schedule for when they were gonna fix pretty much everything people had been complaining about

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wonder what the closest thing to an ethical landlord would be. Lease terms being "Do what you want as long as it looks the same when you leave" and rent being equal to the cost to the landlord plus expected maintenance? Then anything that ends up not being needed for maintenance gets donated to a tenant's rights advocacy group? Or just returned to the tenants in reduced rent for however long it is? Probably the latter one. Any upgrades (new furnishings, etc) aside from stuff like heaters/smoke detectors being run past the tenants since it's really their money? The landlord still comes out ahead in terms of having a property that should appreciate in value, though. Something like a lease-to-own without the scamminess and having to pay for all your own repairs on the house that still isn't yours?

At one point I wanted to use my eventual guillotine-level STEMlord salary to do non-profit landlording since to be honest I'll never have the energy to run a house of hospitality like I wanted to in college, but I'm wondering if that's even possible. Basically something like a housing co-op but with the start-up money coming from one person who got luckier than they deserved.
responsible social landlords, e.g. housing associations in the uk. i work for one in scotland so i'll yell about that:

rent is used to cover upgrade programmes, grounds maintenance and ad-hoc repairs/servicing. there's gov involvement for new build developments and loans tend to get used then. annual reports to a regulator with audits everywhere, and limits on rents. for the rent itself inflation generally two options: hair above inflation, and an option of that plus 0.5% to cover targeted upgrades for vulnerable tenants. why a hair above? the loans for adding new houses. this is all committee-led, so you can skip a year, go for below inflation, etc depending on circumstances

they're created by having groups of tenants decide to work together and create a property management organisation that scales really well. i don't see it working below 50 dwellings, but it all depends on the state of the stock and if there's ownership complications for maintenance. depending on the association the committee composition varies but a large tenant presence is extremely encouraged, but it's good to have professionals as well for the financial and technical details

social housing is one of the better models given how people handle long-term maintenance of their property imo, risk is spread out and that £10k+ roof replacement isn't a sudden surprise one morning

there's major problems with a lease-to-own idea coupled with social housing though: you cut apart the tenant demographics, legislation on that (see right-to-buy) gives them discounts, odds are they'll turn into private landlords instead. even then when people end up owning the houses and seeing the costs involved for large upgrade programmes communal repairs are denied, and if you don't have majority agreement amongst the owners in a block tough luck on getting that roof replaced unless you pay their share (and still get them to agree to it)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

here's a good article about the potential avenues landlords might use in NYC to raise rents on rent-regulated units. thankfully, their options are either neutered or so extreme that there's no chance they can be pushed through without significant backlash. rent regulated housing looks to be safe, but the protections for unregulated aren't nearly as strong (though there are a few of them), and that's no consolation to the hundreds of thousands of units that have been taken off of regulation

thankfully, they're permanent instead of subject to renewal every four years, so future battles for tenant rights should be more frequent and productive

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wonder what the closest thing to an ethical slave-owner would be.

:shrug:

I mean your intent is good but fundamentally you can't be an ethical participant in an unethical system.

The closest thing I'd consider to ethical is someone who rents out part of their own home and takes on roommates in order to be able to cover the mortgage/expenses that they otherwise wouldn't be able to. They're still beholden to you for their shelter though ya know?

Private land ownership is just dumb.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Jul 12, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I never wanted to be a landlord.

In 2012 we tried to sell my wife's old house, market was still poo poo, were unsuccessful. Rented it to someone who subletted to some of their family without our knowledge. We found this out after the rent stopped being paid, did the whole eviction thing and had to clean two truck and trailer loads of poo poo out of the property. Also had ~$5k in damages. Took the original renters to small claims court and "won" but never saw a dime (claimed loss on taxes tho iirc).

So this is now 2014 and we're planning to renovate and put it on the market again, I'm at the house working. Get a knock on the door, it's this guy and his preg wife and kid, who really really wants to rent and eventually buy the property. I take this with a grain of salt, but we're not really in a financial position to be funding a reno, so we're amicable to this.

4 years into a 2 year lease-to-own, they're still not in a position to get a mortgage loan apparently, thinks that he can pressure me into a new contract (what?). Of course now he claims the real reason is that our contact agreed upon price of $65k (expired btw but I'm still going to honor both the buy price and the monthly portion that accrued toward closing costs, even past the end of lease, if it will get the drat thing gone) is too high and he's just not going to pay that, it's not worth it.

I disagree with this and give them 3 months to get moved out. I make it very clear that if they want the refundable portion of their deposit back, don't leave any crap I have to haul off. Of course all this is too much - it takes two weeks past the move out date for him to get out, and it's still not everything. I haul off a full truck load of junk, including literally burned up car batteries (wtf) that the county recycling center gave me a lot of trouble about.

Anyhow so he was mad about not getting the deposit back. We immediately started on a full remodel, doing most of it ourselves. It was a very painful process and not cheap, but 8 months later we put the house on the market for just over $95k, and got a full price offer within a week.

gently caress renters. Humanity was a mistake, generally. :thermidor:

Also, I stopped by on the move out date and there was a dog. A week later I came back, no dog but a dog sized dirt mound in the back yard. I'm p sure he offed and buried the poor thing, probably because when you've procrastinated until the very last second it's difficult to find a place in your budget that allows dogs. :(

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean cool but what I'm seeing is that in the end you sold the property for your full asking price (so I'm assuming your out of pocket renovation expenses were covered) which is super comparable to the average renter's situation of "if you don't get X by the 1st you will be homeless."

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Jul 12, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

angryrobots posted:

In 2012 we tried to sell my wife's old house, market was still poo poo, were unsuccessful. Rented it to someone who subletted to some of their family without our knowledge. We found this out after the rent stopped being paid, did the whole eviction thing and had to clean two truck and trailer loads of poo poo out of the property. Also had ~$5k in damages. Took the original renters to small claims court and "won" but never saw a dime (claimed loss on taxes tho iirc).

So this is now 2014 and we're planning to renovate and put it on the market again, I'm at the house working. Get a knock on the door, it's this guy and his preg wife and kid, who really really wants to rent and eventually buy the property. I take this with a grain of salt, but we're not really in a financial position to be funding a reno, so we're amicable to this.

4 years into a 2 year lease-to-own, they're still not in a position to get a mortgage loan apparently, thinks that he can pressure me into a new contract (what?). Of course now he claims the real reason is that our contact agreed upon price of $65k (expired btw but I'm still going to honor both the buy price and the monthly portion that accrued toward closing costs, even past the end of lease, if it will get the drat thing gone) is too high and he's just not going to pay that, it's not worth it.

I disagree with this and give them 3 months to get moved out. I make it very clear that if they want the refundable portion of their deposit back, don't leave any crap I have to haul off. Of course all this is too much - it takes two weeks past the move out date for him to get out, and it's still not everything. I haul off a full truck load of junk, including literally burned up car batteries (wtf) that the county recycling center gave me a lot of trouble about.

Anyhow so he was mad about not getting the deposit back. We immediately started on a full remodel, doing most of it ourselves. It was a very painful process and not cheap, but 8 months later we put the house on the market for just over $95k, and got a full price offer within a week.

gently caress renters. Humanity was a mistake, generally. :thermidor:

Also, I stopped by on the move out date and there was a dog. A week later I came back, no dog but a dog sized dirt mound in the back yard. I'm p sure he offed and buried the poor thing, probably because when you've procrastinated until the very last second it's difficult to find a place in your budget that allows dogs. :(

weird, i keep putting parts of this into Google and don't get any results

don't tell me you're actually seriousposting

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i see the cockroaches have scattered now that sunlight has been shone on the landlords thread

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

lol

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

what exactly did you do to the property from 2014? your story mentions being mid-refurb when you suddenly start leasing it to vulnerable people, so you knew it was in disrepair. and for the 2012 story it sounds like you didn't do regular servicing or you'd notice subletting in your single property

did you try to communicate with the tenant outside of taking a paycheck?

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only good landlord is an old lady who needs to rent a room out because her SS checks arent paying the rent and always makes too much food.

that probably doesnt even count but either way, i say spare her

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bitches, leave

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
poor doggo.

leasing property is bad. the only good praxis is to sell it to a big bank REIT and let them convert that sweet 1% fed rate into cashing out and let them deal with it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

either this is a coordinated effort by regular posters in the landlord thread to get even with the people who told them how parasitic they are, or you're all just that stupid. either way :fuckoff:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

the only good landlord is an old lady who needs to rent a room out because her SS checks arent paying the rent and always makes too much food.

that probably doesnt even count but either way, i say spare her

George Orwell, The Road to Wigan Pier posted:

I found–one might expect it, perhaps–that the small landlords are usually the worst. It goes against the grain to say this, but one can see why it should be so. Ideally, the worst type of slum land-lord is a fat wicked man, preferably a bishop, who is drawing an immense income from extortionate rents. Actually, it is a poor old woman who has invested her life’s savings in three slum houses, inhabits one of them, and tries to live on the rent of the other two–never, in consequence, having any money for repairs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

George Orwell, The Road to Wigan Pier posted:

I have noticed that people who let lodgings nearly always hate their lodgers. They want their money but they look on them as intruders and have a curiously watchful, jealous attitude which at bottom is a determination not to let the lodger make himself too much at home.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I yelled at my dad when he said he didn't give one of his tenants a discount for agreeing to deliver some newborn sheep during a -30F storm

I'm doing my part

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol theres a goon landlord thread? someone please show me

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

RBC posted:

lol theres a goon landlord thread? someone please show me

It was in BFC, and got closed after people who understood right from wrong found out about it as the thread's purpose was mainly "complain about tenants and share tips as to the best ways to exploit them."

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Now here is my long rambling story about how I cosplayed as a landlord for 6 years while treating everyone involved like poo poo. bloo bloo bloo why can't the property I worked so hard to inherit just produce passive income without me doing anything :qq:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So for all these "I didn't want to be a landlord" folks who keep coming up in these threads, do they not consider that you can just let a relative or friend stay in the house for free? Like "hey could you upkeep this house for me and I'll let you stay in return for just the yearly taxes" or something? Like you got a house, you can't sell it, surely you know someone who needs a place to live. Are they all so rich that they don't know anyone in a lovely living situation or are they so sociopathic that they won't offer to let a friend use a free house?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

Are they all so rich that they don't know anyone in a lovely living situation or are they so sociopathic that they won't offer to let a friend use a free house?

Well I'm definitely not rich enough to pay the mortgage for someone else to stay in a home, unfortunately. :wtchris:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Well I'm definitely not rich enough to pay the mortgage for someone else to stay in a home, unfortunately. :wtchris:

you forced a guy to murder his kid's dog because you wanted to extract more profit from a home, and you're saying you couldn't help it because you were just too poor to do anything about it

gently caress the hell off forever

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

angryrobots posted:

Lol you suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

angryrobots posted:

you don't have to go home but you can't post here