Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

unpacked robinhood posted:

As in poo poo's expensive or you need extra insulation and bear management gear ?

poo poo's expensive. Alaska doesn't have a lot in the way of factories and farms so basically everything you buy has to be shipped in from somewhere else. They have like one highway connecting them to the rest of the continent and it involves going through hundreds of miles of the part of Canada nobody lives in. Shipping by air is expensive and shipping by boat means the boat owner is sending a fleet to Anchorage instead of somewhere more profitable like Seattle or LA.
There's also a bunch of legal knots surrounding ocean shipping like its illegal for non-American ships to go between two American ports directly and 90% of the cargo ships today are registered to low-tax low-regulation open-registry countries like Liberia, Malta, and Panama. Panama has a bigger shipping fleet than China and the US combined because of this BS. That means that shipping from say, Seattle to Anchorage requires you to either use an American ship which are few in number and expensive because the sailors are unionized and get a lot of benefits guaranteed by law or your standard Panamaian ship staffed by under-paid Filipino and Chinese peasants has to make a stop they don't need to make in Vancouver.
TL;DR Alaska Hawaii and Puerto Rico are in the middle of nowhere so its expensive to ship to them, those costs are passed on to customers, giving them exemptions to the Jones act would lower their CoL but screw over American workers and help big shipping companies exploit third-world peasants far more than it would help people in any of those territories :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

poo poo's expensive. Alaska doesn't have a lot in the way of factories and farms so basically everything you buy has to be shipped in from somewhere else. They have like one highway connecting them to the rest of the continent and it involves going through hundreds of miles of the part of Canada nobody lives in. Shipping by air is expensive and shipping by boat means the boat owner is sending a fleet to Anchorage instead of somewhere more profitable like Seattle or LA.
There's also a bunch of legal knots surrounding ocean shipping like its illegal for non-American ships to go between two American ports directly and 90% of the cargo ships today are registered to low-tax low-regulation open-registry countries like Liberia, Malta, and Panama. Panama has a bigger shipping fleet than China and the US combined because of this BS. That means that shipping from say, Seattle to Anchorage requires you to either use an American ship which are few in number and expensive because the sailors are unionized and get a lot of benefits guaranteed by law or your standard Panamaian ship staffed by under-paid Filipino and Chinese peasants has to make a stop they don't need to make in Vancouver.
TL;DR Alaska Hawaii and Puerto Rico are in the middle of nowhere so its expensive to ship to them, those costs are passed on to customers, giving them exemptions to the Jones act would lower their CoL but screw over American workers and help big shipping companies exploit third-world peasants far more than it would help people in any of those territories :capitalism:

Good explanation, thanks.

Puerto Rico is actually surrounded by other islands so it's even more absurd. Is it true that non American ships can't even go straight there? I heard they all have to unload their cargo in Tampa or something.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Got laid off in 08' during the housing crisis. They hired some zero experience idiot in my stead

Thankfully I lived frugally and had no car payments or debts over my head, and I split rent with roomies. Money was a little tight but I was fine.

Collected unemployment, spent 6 months playin video games and toking it up, partying with friends, taking walks around town and enjoying myself.

Didn't do any of the required stuff for unemployment. Applied to like one job but got no callbacks. Then I got a letter asking to show proof that I had been looking for a job, or I was liable to repay. poo poo

After stressing a day, I slept on it. Next day my previous employer called me and rehired me and I informed the unemployment dudes that I had just got hired which seemed to satisfy them.

Unemployment advice: gently caress around, get free gov't cheddar, torch blunts and wait for them to come crawling back to you.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Thesaurus posted:

Good explanation, thanks.

Puerto Rico is actually surrounded by other islands so it's even more absurd. Is it true that non American ships can't even go straight there? I heard they all have to unload their cargo in Tampa or something.

That is not true. Any non-American ship can go to Puerto Rico as long as they're coming from a foreign port and going to a foreign port after. When you go between two ports in different countries you're governed by International law since its an international trip. Usually that means you abide by the laws of the nation the ship's registered to, along with certain crimes which are considered to be universal jurisdiction and any country can enforce even in international territory like Piracy.
When you go between two ports in the same country, even if you cross international waters to do it, its considered a domestic trip and you're governed by the laws of that country. This is called cabotage, usually a country only allows ships belonging to their nation in, but if they choose not to exercise that right, that's their business. America actually has very strict cabotage laws not only does it need to be US registered but it needs to have come from a US shipyard, the owners need to be US citizens, and the crew needs to be US citizens or Green Card holders. Tampa to Puerto Rico is domestic so only American ships can make it.The reason that they offload in Tampa or Miami would be because a shipping company that needs to get some cargo from, for example, the same factory in China, to both Florida and PR has three options.

A. Separate the cargo and send two different fully staffed Liberian ships with your third-world working-for-peanuts crew to make the trip. One to Tampa, one to Puerto Rico.
B. Get a single expensive American ship with its needy unionized workers who want things like "a living wage" and "benefits" to go to Tampa and then Puerto Rico in one trip.
C. Send a single Liberian ship with your oh-so-exploitable oh-so-cheap foreign workers to Tampa which is 95% of the journey, have an expensive American ship do the remaining 5% and then make up the extra cost by charging the Puerto Ricans extra.

The rules about cabotage and two international ports vs. domestic also apply to air travel. That's why you can take Iceland Air or Royal Air Maroc (which is Moroccan) from New York to Paris but if you want to fly from La Guardia to LAX you're limited to Delta, Southwest etc.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 1, 2019

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That is not true. Any non-American ship can go to Puerto Rico as long as they're coming from a foreign port and going to a foreign port after. When you go between two ports in different countries you're governed by International law since its an international trip. Usually that means you abide by the laws of the nation the ship's registered to, along with certain crimes which are considered to be universal jurisdiction and any country can enforce even in international territory like Piracy.
When you go between two ports in the same country, even if you cross international waters to do it, its considered a domestic trip and you're governed by the laws of that country. This is called cabotage, usually a country only allows ships belonging to their nation in, but if they choose not to exercise that right, that's their business. America actually has very strict cabotage laws not only does it need to be US registered but it needs to have come from a US shipyard, the owners need to be US citizens, and the crew needs to be US citizens or Green Card holders. Tampa to Puerto Rico is domestic so only American ships can make it.The reason that they offload in Tampa or Miami would be because a shipping company that needs to get some cargo from, for example, the same factory in China, to both Florida and PR has three options.

A. Separate the cargo and send two different fully staffed Liberian ships with your third-world working-for-peanuts crew to make the trip. One to Tampa, one to Puerto Rico.
B. Get a single expensive American ship with its needy unionized workers who want things like "a living wage" and "benefits" to go to Tampa and then Puerto Rico in one trip.
C. Send a single Liberian ship with your oh-so-exploitable oh-so-cheap foreign workers to Tampa which is 95% of the journey, have an expensive American ship do the remaining 5% and then make up the extra cost by charging the Puerto Ricans extra.

The rules about cabotage and two international ports vs. domestic also apply to air travel. That's why you can take Iceland Air or Royal Air Maroc (which is Moroccan) from New York to Paris but if you want to fly from La Guardia to LAX you're limited to Delta, Southwest etc.

Just wanna say an earnest thanks for a great maritime shipping explanation, even if this is the unemployment thread!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
today i had a job interview. about half way through the manager get a texts message so she excuses herself and looks down at it. turns out one of her staff has had some kind of drama meltdown and quit without notice. the manager tells me this, then just looks up and asks me if i can start tomorrow morning :D

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

today i had a job interview. about half way through the manager get a texts message so she excuses herself and looks down at it. turns out one of her staff has had some kind of drama meltdown and quit without notice. the manager tells me this, then just looks up and asks me if i can start tomorrow morning :D

Sounds like a great place to work.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

What level of experience do you have and kind of job was this/what you're looking for..?

I ask as I had a similar situation going my 2nd professional job - I'd had 2.5 years' previous experience with one of the major players in the industry and about 10 min into the interview with the hiring manager at a fairly large and relatively regional company, he verbally offered on the spot with signing bonus. I was tempted because I was unemployed and had just moved to the state but was fortunate I didn't need to take the first job offered. Turns out that unsurprisingly the place was essentially a boiler room who was just looking for bodies, with something like 50% annual attrition and the fact I wouldn't "need as much training" meant I would be put on the floor and expected to be performing ASAP. Bullet dodged.

Also anytime I interview now, I ask why this position is now open, even if I might get a less than straightforward answer from the hiring manager (so I'll ask others or request a conversation with a peer) - if it's because the company/division is expanding, that's probably a good sign. If it's because the previous person(s) had a meltdown/got burned out/"didn't fit our culture"/"clashed with management" etc that is a big red flag.

So yeah, moral of the story is be wary of easily given job offers IMO.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

sticksy posted:

Also anytime I interview now, I ask why this position is now open, even if I might get a less than straightforward answer from the hiring manager (so I'll ask others or request a conversation with a peer) - if it's because the company/division is expanding, that's probably a good sign. If it's because the previous person(s) had a meltdown/got burned out/"didn't fit our culture"/"clashed with management" etc that is a big red flag.

So yeah, moral of the story is be wary of easily given job offers IMO.

Yep, I've been (f)unemployed since January 1 and just turned down a job offer 500 miles away after two terse phone interviews. I've found that Glassdoor and Indeed reviews may help beforehand, especially at a larger organization. In my experience, negative employer reviews have more truth to them than apartment or restaurant ratings.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've been unemployed and underemployed for so long I can't wrap my head around the concept of not being on the verge of not having income despite having a steady job. Been hording wages like a dragon and am still terrified of taking a holiday. On the plus side if I lose my job I could probably coast for 6months to a year without income.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
unployment going in to my 19 month. free tax money yummy

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a job you deadbeats

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Get a job you deadbeats

Make me!

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

You Are A Elf posted:

in 2008, I quit a soul-crushing job that was super easy and chill, but also boring as gently caress and went nowhere. Went back to school full-time in my early 30s, got a degree in 2012 to find better work, and boy was I loving naive thinking a better job would land in my lap soon. I spent the next year and a half unemployed answering any classified ads online, literally going to places and filling out applications in person, and just all around trying to find work, ANY WORK. I was doing this daily for about the first six months of unemployment, but when no one was answering back, I fell into a deep depression where I just didn't want to "pound the pavement" anymore.

To keep myself busy, I would fix things around my parent's house and walk the track at the park, because what the gently caress else was there to do? I didn't want to sit around doing nothing, eating my weight in junk food and watching daytime TV. I actually lost 50 pounds keeping busy and was feeling good enough to start looking for work again, so I started filling out decent job listings with city/county, school districts, and various other "foot in the door" jobs that actually have room for promotions and such. I finally got a call back from a school district that asked me to come into a job interview. I was over-loving-joyed.

The interview went well, the people were friendly and very interested in me, and all around it seemed like a great place to work. Then I wait for that phone call. One day, I'm walking the track and I get a call from the school district. Holy poo poo, this is it! I think I may be the one they hire!

"I am informing you that although the interview went well and the staff at the warehouse picked you for the position, because we couldn't get in touch with a previous job you had (a motorcycle shop I worked at for all of four months in the early 2000s), we at human resources have decided not to move forward in hiring you."

I begged and pleaded with the person on the other line that it was what it was, but they weren't having any of it and passed on me. After I hung up the phone, I felt like sobbing, screaming, and just giving up all at once. I didn't put that job on my next application for that very reason, and will never again. That day I went home, actually did cry, and fell back into my depression. I gained back 30 pounds of the weight I lost and just didn't feel like doing anything anymore. By then, I was unemployed for over a year.

It was my mother that actually put in the good word for me at my current job and actually pleaded with my boss to hire me since I was a vegetable without work. He took a chance on me and hired me over probably a hundred more qualified guys for the job, and now I'm still working at the same place my mom works at six years later. Thanks, mom!

This is an awful story, drat dude. Glad you are doing better now but can’t imagine the stress of going through all that.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

OMFG FURRY posted:

survived on bread and water while living out of my car

read a lot at libraries to pass the time, hiked at public parks, showered at gyms and worked out a lot.

got in great shape, would recommend for an extreme diet plan if you have the mental fortitude

America is a first-world country, lol.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I seem to be on a roll of applying for jobs I'm more than qualified for, getting through interviews and losing to people with political connections but less applicable experience. So I'm stuck with a semi abusive job I hate that has no future or potential to improve my employability and sitting on the edge of 'is being unemployed better than the bullshit I've got?'. Unemployment sucks but this is almost worse in terms of feelings of self worth.

On topic, I was unemployed for 6-8 months during an economic downturn. Just sitting around applying for jobs I had no hope of getting over and feeling like poo poo. At least I had time to work out and gently caress around.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I had to stop reading this thread because I moved to a less populous area at the end of June and was unemployed. The stories here were really stressing me out. I quit a job that paid really well for someone without a degree, and the place I live at now is somewhere I've always wanted to be, but the feeling of not having a job and burning through my savings was hell. Thankfully by the end of July I managed to get a temp gig at the library here before my funds ran out and I was able to just barely be able to cover rent, and now I finally got the news that I landed a full time job in the cannabis industry, which was ultimately the plan. This stint of unemployment reminded me of a few things:

1) Job hunting is so dehumanizing. Modifying your resume and writing a new cover letter for every job, some that you don't even really want, only to have them not call is horrible. I got really far in the process for two jobs only to not make it to the end and that was crushing.

2) The degree requirement is absolutely classist bullshit designed to keep working class folks out of the system as much as possible. I learned that my library assistant job recently had it's requirements relaxed: previously it required a bachelor's degree in library science for part time minimum wage. I felt very lucky to get it, and it was very fulfilling, but the responsibilities absolutely should not require higher education. Most places out here require a degree and it's total horseshit.

Thank you all for sharing your stories of unemployment. Although I had to stop reading the thread because it was reminding me of my own troubles, I really appreciate you all being willing to share tales of the hard times. My wife and I now both have full time employment in our dream location with a low cost of living and I finally feel like I'm able to start enjoying being here. The job interview process is awful and I wish the best for any of you who are still looking.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
My job is so demeaning I'm about to quit. They promised me work in my field and a year later have only given me a bullshit assignment which doesn't fit my qualifications and I'm about to lose said qualification to actually do the job they supposedly hired me to do. My best bet is to convince them to lay me off/make me redundant instead of quitting/firing me so I can collect unemployment while a volunteer full time while I hunt for a non-existent job in my field. It's loving embaressing.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 2, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SoR Blaze posted:

2) The degree requirement is absolutely classist bullshit designed to keep working class folks out of the system as much as possible. I learned that my library assistant job recently had it's requirements relaxed: previously it required a bachelor's degree in library science for part time minimum wage. I felt very lucky to get it, and it was very fulfilling, but the responsibilities absolutely should not require higher education. Most places out here require a degree and it's total horseshit.
:negative:
i can't find work as a library assistant and i have a masters degree in library science. working in the library is the easiest best job around, everyone wants to work in the drat library. but those old ladies hold onto their positions with an iron grip

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I know I sound like a dickhead but why do you need a masters degree to organize books and file things according to an existing system? Is the Dewey system that complicated? I'll assume library science is more than that?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Because so many people have Bachelors now, that instead of it being a hard earned title that made job getting simpler, it just is the new normal for lots of people coming up, and now it doesn't count all that much for poo poo.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I get that but it was also a ground floor requirement for my visa.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

I know I sound like a dickhead but why do you need a masters degree to organize books and file things according to an existing system? Is the Dewey system that complicated? I'll assume library science is more than that?

you don't, volunteers and minimum wage workers organize the books and refill the copy machines. you need a masters degree to help the person who came into the library looking to do genealogical research on 5 generations of their family, or the person who needs help researching civil codes for their lawsuit, or the person who needs data on the last 10 years of world wide methanol production.

at least thats the theory. most people don't need that level of help unless you are working in a big university library

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Gotcha, so really it's a degree/masters in research?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Grape posted:

Because so many people have Bachelors now, that instead of it being a hard earned title that made job getting simpler, it just is the new normal for lots of people coming up, and now it doesn't count all that much for poo poo.

Since like a decade before I went to school your BA is basically what used to be a highschool diploma

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Bramble posted:

I got laid off in a way that really destroyed my confidence and left the parking lot of my former job and drove directly home to my parent's house 6 hours away without stopping. I got really drunk with my brother and we went walking in the woods at night where I basically managed to gently caress up my foot as badly as you can without breaking it by tripping over a tire track. They laid me off on the day my health insurance expires and the COBRA rates were exorbitant so I just borrowed a friend's old crutches and tried not to think about it.

I called my girlfriend of 2 weeks to tell her and give her permission to leave me and she refused and was really supportive. I spent 4 months playing videogames and jacking off and applying online to any job that looked relevant and my dread grew daily. The benefits let me pay rent and afford food though.

Then one day my girlfriend who was on a catholic religious retreat called me and said she lit an intention candle at the cathedral that I would find a job. The next day I got a phone call from a state job I had applied to BEFORE I was laid off asking if I was still interested and I was hired a month later so God definitely exists everyone.

It's been 5 years and I've married the girlfriend, my foot is okay, I am making more money than I ever have, and am in a union job I will never, ever be fired from unless I do something criminal. I plan to either die at my desk or retire at 65 with an 80% pension because the world is scary as poo poo and I never want to be financially insecure again. I have intense empathy for the unemployed and will probably vote for Andrew Yang in the primary because universal basic income makes a lot of sense to me.

That's my story and my sincerest condolences to anyone out there freaking out about finding a job right now. It was the worst thing I ever endured.

Bless you & Ms. Bramble

In Oct this year I’ll be hitting my 24th year into a 25 year pension for glorious service to the state. The plan is to walk away in Nov 2021 with 51 & 1/2 % pension & power-walk my way into a warm, tax friendly state in the South. That with a grossly over bloated 457 plan SHOULD see me never having to “job” again unless my hobby takes off. Or I get tired of doing nuttin. LULZ.

Also, the wife is about 13 yrs younger, so if I have to put her to work...

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I like to send one application in the morning while improving my CV, then starting noon cook lunch and exercise. Nights and weekends are best spent just relaxing.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I was unemployed a few months between college, coming home, and realizing a degree in arts was fun, but not a great job earner.

But to be blunt, I never went to college for the money. And if we're frank, I'm probably not someone who needed the college path to kick start my career.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I like to send one application in the morning while improving my CV, then starting noon cook lunch and exercise. Nights and weekends are best spent just relaxing.

Sounds like the whole week is relaxing lmao

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
i work construction and get laid off a few times a year.

it's pretty rude how they treat you like even to get your benefits they're like "Are you sure you deserve this? Really sure?" even though it comes directly out of your wages

you can get up to half of your after-tax weekly income and then they tax it

they won't let you collect within a week of filing for benefits in case you get work

and yeah whip out the card and listen for the whispers

but it's fuckin sweet to have a whole lot of time and a little bit of money so im looking foreward to next time and i've only been working like three months lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Sounds like the whole week is relaxing lmao

Yeah, first time I was unemployed it really got on my nerves and I was high pressure looking for a job 8+ hours per day. Let's just say that it wasn't my cup of tea and I was a wreck. I have then mastered the correct job seeking ways for myself and manage to do do the high pressure stuff for 4 hours a day, five days per week. You seem to be laughing your rear end off at the golden middle path that is filled with moderation and happiness ;)