Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Commander Keene posted:

Kirby 64 is one of the few N64 games I have any real nostalgia for. I didn't own an N64; I went Sony after the SNES. And even though my brothers did, together we owned like five games for it - Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Smash Brothers, Kirby 64, and I think one fighting or racing game.

Replace that last one with Banjo-Kazooie and you have the games of my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The bomb/electric power does have combat uses. Enemies near you when the lightbulb explodes, die. It's like the bomb/ice combo, but seems to have a smaller area of effect.

My favorite combos are probably bomb/cutter and electric/cutter for different reasons. Both are even needed for one shard each.

And good luck on Aqua Star, I remember hating one particular level of that world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Explopyro posted:

The only real flaw I think this game has is that some of the shards are hidden too cryptically. The concept is good (I love the idea of needing to experiment with powers to overcome different obstacles, so you can't just coast through the game on your favourite combo but need to try others), but there are a handful of puzzles later in this game that I have no idea how anyone figured out without a guide.

gently caress the rock/cutter one in the next world. Last shard I got as a kid, and the only one I needed a guide for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Explopyro posted:

It's a weird quirk of the boss design in this game that they're all designed first and foremost to be fought with no powers (e.g. you'll notice all of the patterns have a point at which they generate something Kirby can suck up and use as a projectile), so that often ends up being easier than actually using powers. Some bosses just really aren't suited to being fought with certain abilities.

I'm pretty sure it's a safety net: this is one of the very few bosses where you can get a new power mid-battle, so the developers wanted to make sure you could come in with no power (or any power, discarding it if necessary) and win.

There's also a boss rush mode where you do the whole thing without powers.