Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Good ol Kirby. A relaxing romp through a crazy countryside with some neat touches here and there.

One of the unique things for this game is how the powers are handled: the game encourages combo powers by straight up nerfing the normal ones. How? By having Kirby use his body to do them. The big one is Cutter, mostly because in old games you could throw a bunch out at whim. Here you only get the 1 cutter and it makes sense why, since Kirby is using his own mass to make the actual blade.

It's neat.

Commander Keene posted:

I don't think so? I'm pretty sure it was some no-name game that nobody cared about. The kind of thing your parents picked up at a garage sale and you then played once or twice and completely forgot about. Then again, I'm not personally very fond of MK, so it's possible.

If you want the real Dark Horse of 64 games... I beat Quest 64 on hardware. Took a few rentals and a FaQ or two (actually back then it'd have been some Nintendo Power trawling.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

My favorite combo is Elec/Cutter. Darth Kirb aside it has a bit more mobility than Fire/Cutter and pretty much just as much range.

Neo Star is a step up in difficulty, not only because of all of the hazards but because it starts asking you to bring your own powers in to solve it's crystal shard puzzles. IIRC you could get Rock in the cave before the dynamite block but there were no bomb sources in the level. So you had to go elsewhere to get it.

Prythian posted:

The problem with that ice-requirement is that unlike every other block in the game, it uses logic instead of color-coding. I like logical puzzles like that, but at the same time, I'd swear you need bomb and fire, or rock and fire, to break that, and that's what I'd try.

I remember having problems with this as well because it was a deviation from the internal logic of the game. Like, it makes sense, just the wrong kind of sense the game has been making you think of :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The worst problem with the O-2 fight is figuring out you can actually rotate around it. Unlike Starfox 64, this is the only boss in the game that is fought like this so you have to learn that here. And that's not great.
After that though it's definitely easier than Miracle Matter.

Also for Kirby Games to play, the classic Super Star (and Super Star Ultra DS remake) are solid as heck and still hold up today.