Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
praise to literally a bird

who was literally a human being and made sure this girl got the gently caress out of there

you know the right thing to do, not cover poo poo up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Burt Sexual posted:

Please contribute to this thread.

i wont contribute poo poo to anything until you get the gently caress out

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

zer0spunk posted:

praise to literally a bird

who was literally a human being and made sure this girl got the gently caress out of there

you know the right thing to do, not cover poo poo up

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
can someone unsticky this thread so we don't have to see this fucker's name on the first page?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is usually one of the most helpful threads there is, maybe it could just use a reboot

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Snowy posted:

This is usually one of the most helpful threads there is, maybe it could just use a reboot

it is nice to have a pure 'good thread callout' thread. just a big ol list of good threads. maybe you guys could make a different 'dunk on burt' thread and link it here if it goes well

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

owlhawk911 posted:

maybe you guys could make a different 'dunk on burt' thread and link it here if it goes well

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

owlhawk911 posted:

maybe you guys could make a different 'dunk on burt' thread and link it here if it goes well

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

contribute to the forums by removing yourself from them

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Burt Sexual posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930176

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

you're not supposed to post your own threads here

anyway here's a really really good thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930176

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

zer0spunk posted:

it doesn't matter what happens to him or what he does

he will always carry around the fact that he enabled someone with multiple domestic abuse charges to do it a fourth time no matter what excuses he tries to come up with for himself

even the smallest shred of empathy and conscious he might have as a human being will ensure that it eats at him forever as it should

shame does more than any gently caress you or gross picture at him could

you disgust me as a person

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
many times ive tried to tell you

many times ive cried alone

maybe it s a sign of weakness when i don t know wha to say

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Burt Sexual posted:

gently caress off

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Burt Sexual posted:

Hey, Burt, your pathetic little pity thread post you made and then immediately closed is not an apology. It's not an acknowledgement of what you did wrong. Go gently caress Yourself.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

gently caress you you poo poo-stained oval office

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh no! Vegetable used a bad word! Surely this will not be pretext for a probe.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There was once a thing, utterly unique. White fever, a black girl poster here created a thread about how they sometimes like white men. In GBS style, quite funny, but it was utter disaster. Swarmed by innumerable numbers of you fuckers, to explain how this is wrong, to fight each other

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Sekenr posted:

There was once a thing, utterly unique. White fever, a black girl poster here created a thread about how they sometimes like white men. In GBS style, quite funny, but it was utter disaster. Swarmed by innumerable numbers of you fuckers, to explain how this is wrong, to fight each other

how do i purchase your book of poetry?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Platystemon posted:

Oh no! Vegetable used a bad word! Surely this will not be pretext for a probe.

Burt probated more Australians for using the word oval office than he did for people defending Lowtax

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

A White Guy posted:

Hey, Burt, your pathetic little pity thread post you made and then immediately closed is not an apology. It's not an acknowledgement of what you did wrong. Go gently caress Yourself.

Where is that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowmankilla posted:

Where is that?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930204

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thanks. Was that an autobahn?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Snowmankilla posted:

Stupid poo poo couldn’t even do that right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowmankilla posted:

No, because mods are allowed to use the “ATTENTION” tag.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Went to check out Burt's pathetic half-assed apology and saw he's currently eating a 1 day probation.

Reason? "Placeholder"

I smell a ban hammer a-comin'...

(thanks Barudak)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Went to check out Burt's pathetic half-assed apology and saw he's currently eating a 1 day probation.

Reason? "Placeholder"

I smell a ban hammer a-comin'...

(thanks Barudak)

Probably a longer probe for now instead of a ban, I read a post from VideoGames in another thread that the mods aren’t doing bans until Jeffrey owns the site since Lowtax would still get any rereg money.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Not if it’s a perma. :unsmigghh:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Snowy posted:

any old mod or person could make this thread so yeh, reboot. I've seen several versions and it's always a nice thread but no reason to keep this one around

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Probably a longer probe for now instead of a ban, I read a post from VideoGames in another thread that the mods aren’t doing bans until Jeffrey owns the site since Lowtax would still get any rereg money.

11 years should more than suffice in the meantime.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sekenr posted:

I'd say I have a hard time believing that goons were opposed to interracial relationships but I 100% believe it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

There are plenty of racist MAGA chuds that post here.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would bet 90% of them were actually arguing in favor of racial purity (especially if it involved a black woman and a WHITE MAN) because otherwise it would be cultural appropriation or something

Most don't remember this but during the early 2010's the pendulum had swung so far in the direction of the cringe Internet version of social justice that many subforums were basically unreadable, GBS included. Then the great GBS overhaul happened and it swung way too far back in the other direction of 'ironically' using slurs. I think right now it's actually in a pretty good place

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's a bad bet, I bet.

Cultural appropriation is real. People who don't choose to understand choose not to understand.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
"cringe internet culture" in gbs being 'megathreads devoted to talking about issues of race and sexism that upset people for even existing'

that's some revisionist history there. GBS 2.0 was a lovely backlash against what was in retrospect legitimate discussion, it's just that ANY poo poo like this was painted as "cringe" back then. THIS whole reckoning would be considered "cringe" by 2010 GBS standards

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 27, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
GBS 2.0 really hosed up this subforum for a while. I’m glad it’s back to being pretty good, but I miss crazy news threads like the Boston bombing one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

"cringe internet culture" in gbs being 'megathreads devoted to talking about issues of race and sexism that upset people for even existing'

that's some revisionist history there. GBS 2.0 was a lovely backlash against what was in retrospect legitimate discussion, it's just that ANY poo poo like this was painted as "cringe" back then. THIS whole reckoning would be considered "cringe" by 2010 GBS standards

No, that's not true at all. 50% of goons in 2020 are agitprop communist roleplayers (even outside of C-SPAM), but you know what, I don't particularly mind even if that doesn't describe me. Every forum has an ideological bent, might as well lean that way. Many of the issues they bring up are legitimately important, and they're often funny about it.

GBS in 2012 was cat ladies making endless humorless idpol posts of the 'minorities-in-video-games' variety. It's good that it got burned to the ground, and current GBS is legitimately better, even if we had to go through the even worse 'slur GBS' period to get here.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

That's a bad bet, I bet.

Cultural appropriation is real. People who don't choose to understand choose not to understand.

Sekenr's haiku unfortunately didn't include a link, so I don't know if we'll ever find out. I could see it going either way, depending almost entirely on the year in which the thread was made.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Phlegmish posted:

It's good that it got burned to the ground, and current GBS is legitimately better, even if we had to go through the even worse 'slur GBS' period to get here.

This is a real hosed up opinion bc really we should never have had to suffer through slur gbs in the first place. The fact that a poo poo-ton of people have done work to drive out those assholes and made it better doesn't make it ok in retrospect or 'the best path the forums could have taken'. It didn't organically happen this way and oh isn't it nice now, the same loving people you shat on decided to stick around and do the work you assholes were too lazy to do at the time

GBS 2.0 should never have happened and is an embarassing stain on our history, and with work we have managed to balance poo poo back out but THAT was not the way it should have EVER been done. Ever.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Also lol that your jackbooted cat lady example was 'they posted threads about minorities in video games'. Yes, that is absolutely worse than racist sexist slur anarchy. The only solution to control that was to become the Worst Forum Ever, and it was good in retrospect guys!!!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OK. At the end of the day, I'm just glad that we can have a discussion like this and neither of us is at serious risk of getting probated (apart from the whole Lowtax situation). I think that's the biggest difference.

My take is simply that SA leans to the left at least as much as it did back in 2012, if not much more, but in a very different way, and I don't know if we would have gotten there without that moment of introspection.