Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

I cut a small Chinaberry tree (12" diameter at base, tops) down last year that started sprouting again this spring. So I got an auger bit for my drill and some stump killer and chainsawed off the top of the stump, drilled 4 big holes, and then instead of applying a moderate amount of poison with the brush like the label says, I got distracted and thought I was using another type of poison and ended up pouring the whole 8 oz into the holes.

Besides wasting herbicide I needed for other plants, is there any real danger here? There are two big old trees pretty close by (3 feet and 6-8 feet) away that I really DON'T want to kill. I'm a little afraid it could leach out of the stump after it dies or transfer assuming the roots are touching underground.

I'm going to be seriously upset if I kill (and have to have removed) my 70 year old pine tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR, MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Besides wasting herbicide I needed for other plants, is there any real danger here?

You need to be very specific about the active ingredients to get a real answer.

Probably no, but that depends.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see you link. It's triclopyr. Nothing broadleaf will live anywhere near that for a while, and that's probably just fine for you. Ot acts the same way a 2,4-D: it's a synthetic growth hormone that causes unsustainable levels of growth.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 20, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

You need to be very specific about the active ingredients to get a real answer.

Probably no, but that depends.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see you link. It's triclopyr. Nothing broadleaf will live anywhere near that for a while, and that's probably just fine for you. Ot acts the same way a 2,4-D: it's a synthetic growth hormone that causes unsustainable levels of growth.

That helps put my mind at ease. Thanks!

For whatever it's worth I went at it with some pipe and paper towels and probably removed 5oz or more of standing and surface poison from the holes. So it's still an insane amount of poison on it but significantly less now.

Here's the liquid I siphoned off (using my thumb for a seal, not my mouth) in a growler. The PVC had paper towels in the end to suck up excess at the bottom of the holes.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 20, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A garden full of trees, and a pocket full of cheese.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you can drill holes and put something "non-toxic" in to the holes you drill in a tree stump. Non-toxic meaning like something that won't kill anything that comes within 50 feet of it. Like salt or some poo poo or some type of combination of cooking oil and "something". But on the other hand, I think it was facebook I saw that on, and we all know how reliable the "life hacks" are that you get from there....

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

wesleywillis posted:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you can drill holes and put something "non-toxic" in to the holes you drill in a tree stump. Non-toxic meaning like something that won't kill anything that comes within 50 feet of it. Like salt or some poo poo or some type of combination of cooking oil and "something". But on the other hand, I think it was facebook I saw that on, and we all know how reliable the "life hacks" are that you get from there....

A lot of stump remover stuff is just dry muriatic acid, you pour into the drilled holes and then cover with hot water. The acid dissolves in the water and accelerates the natural decay of the woody fibers in the trunk. I have to imagine that would also do a number on any not-quite-dead stumps still throwing up suckers, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hey guys! I have a few lawncare questions. I posted over in the home care thread but didn't realize this one existed so I'm moving it over here.

I live in central Mississippi. Hot and as humid as poo poo essentially.

Basically I have owned my house for near 6 years and the lawn has gotten progressively worse over those years. I mow it, but... that's about it. We're getting ready to finally get serious about our landscaping so I wanted to see what I need to do to rehabilitate this lawn.

The back yard, which was almost all dirt, will be left out for now. We cut down like 4 trees back there and threw some st. augustine seed down and are just letting it do it's thing. In 2 years time it's actually filled almost totally in which is nuts. A lot of it still rough, especially nearer the "forest" (my house/street butts up to literal million dollar homes and each one has a nice giant cushion of trees on their lots to buffer them from the plebes). But we're going to be redoing the fence and some other stuff there so I look forward to reapproaching that in the fall.

For the front yard, I have three main areas of concern.

1.)The grass, which I'm an idiot and don't know what it is (maybe St. Augustine), has gotten progressively more riddled with weeds as well as just a dead... underlayer (for lack of a proper term). I'd love to know how to properly nurse it back to health.
There are a couple of still decent areas. One is the right hand side lawn. This actually used to have two huge oak trees between my house and the neighbors and was literally 100% dirt. We cut down the trees b/c it was screwing both our foundations and the grass just grew naturally. It's pretty excellent. And then an area on the front left lawn that gets more shade than the rest of the lawn. Both have decently healthy grass.

Here are some pics:

The decent sidelawn:

With closeup:

Now some of the crustier areas:

Crusty area with weed:

So you can see the grass just isn't filling in, has some weed encroachment (it's basically filled in our lawn) and there is this totally crispy underlayer of dead grass it seems. I'd say roughly 80% of the grass is now the lovely crunchy weed mix.

2.) In front of the pine tree, there seems to be a good bit of erosion. And possibly some damage from being rained on by sap (I have nothing to support this other than the damage areas mimics the canopy shape and size)?

The pine tree sits basically right where the hill starts to steeply drop towards the ditch so I'm thinking erosion.

The tree and the damaged area:

Closeup of damaged area. It's hard to see but there's some small "tiers" (kind of like tiny rice paddy stair stepping) as it descends. Further enforcing erosion to me.

Another angle:

Profile (terrible pic but you can see the grade of the slope):

3.) A shittily sodded patch of grass from a utility company.

Essentially they're laying fibre and bust my sewer line. They come out and fix it but do a lovely job of resodding. The grass doesn't match, is now dead (even though I watered it and it seemed to do fine the first year) and the whole area has settled really unevenly. Specifically right at the road. But it has been over a year and I feel like it's done settling.

Overall shot:

The drop right where it meets the street:

Two closer shots of the sod:

So yeah any advice would help! And I can always provide more pics or details. Sorry if this is overload!

«4 »