Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
For the past few years, I've been lucky enough to live next door to friends. We've had an arrangement where I weedwhacked both properties and they mowed both properties. Unfortunately, they're moving in the next month, so I need to get my own mower. Here's the thing:

- I hate mowing
- I don't hate mowing enough to blow a hundred bucks a month or more, based on local prices, on having someone else do it
- Especially because my lot is literally less than 6,000 square feet (the grass portion would probably be ~4,500) and flat

I've thought about getting a reel mower because it's a small enough yard that that's probably feasible, but I was reading about them and it sounds like if you're not using them twice a week then they'll be useless because they can't handle long grass. Does anyone use one and would recommend it? I like the concept, but it seems like you really have to have the absolute perfect situation (and a truly obsessive love of your yard) for it to be worthwhile.

So, I'm mainly thinking of getting an electric mower instead. It's a little expensive, but I'd love the lack of maintenance issues and the cordlessness of their top pick. Anyone here have any negative experiences with electric mowers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Terrific! OK, I'm sold on getting the electric mower. Thanks, everyone!

One follow-up question: does anyone know what this tree is?

It flowers for a little bit each spring and is generally leafy through the summer/fall. Outside of the brief flowering stage, it looks pretty bad and I don't like it. It also blocks the view of the much nicer tree near the house (which I also don't know the identify of).

I could cut it down in a few minutes, but I don't know whether the roots will be too deep for me to dig up easily and I'd love to get more info.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

edit: wrong thread, I'm dumb, sorry