Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Currently going back and forth on doing pavers vs stamped concrete.

Cost is going to be about the same but it will be diy on the pavers and pay a guy on the concrete. I removed a deck that had lots of rotting due to ground contact so I would need to dig about another 6ish inches down.

Concerns are how long concrete will last without needing replacement vs pavers being a bit more 'flexible'. I live in the northeast in an area that gets all the weather. 80-90 degree summer and 30-below zero winters with all the moisture and rain one could want in the spring and fall or summer or maybe it's a drought who the gently caress knows.

Pros for concrete: I don't have to lay a finger.
About the same cost as pavers..
Can probably remove other deck(slightly less lovely but still decked with 2x4s because PO) and get that space utilized / make yard bigger with less of a hassle

Concern / con: cracking and looking like poo poo in the next 10 years. Shiny surface. Hotter?

Pros for pavers: possibly look better, more 'flexible' but stuck with more of a square feeling. Still going to have to redo the base and poo poo every 10 years kuz of climate in 10 years I'm fuckin laying someone to do it I ain't doing it when I'm 50)

Cons for pavers: doing it myself or spending an rear end load of money in Labor.
Will end up keeping the second deck and properly re decking next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

devicenull posted:

I'd do stamped concrete, maybe with some pigment if you're worried about color (although I don't understand how a brushed concrete finish is shiny). If the control joints are done right, you shouldn't really see cracking in 10 years.

I'd probably do something like this after it's cured: https://ghostshield.com/product/8500

I think most of the "it's too shiiiiny" comes form people using glossy rear end sealer or something i dunno it's one of the things that I saw on the ole interwebs.

Mostly what I was reading on one side or the other was coming from people who were installing one of the other.

I have no issue with 10 years of longevity, if I can't come up with another 2 grand to redo the backyard at that point I failed at life.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 8, 2021