Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

They will literally let anyone have a chainsaw! I have two now!

Me, too, in the middle of suburban DFW, TX. I don't even have a forest, just a giant Live Oak that likes to drop limbs every storm.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A brush axe will save your back. They’ve got to be razor sharp (your machete should be too. Get a good file and an axe stone). Surveyors use them here for making perfectly straight lines through the woods and this guys knows his trade:
https://youtu.be/Ib3_p1W1Bb8

If it’s more grassy and less woody, a sling blade will work too.

They also make brush heads for weed whackers, but your weed whacker has to be beefy enough to use it.

Jaded Burnout posted:

See that really tall bush at the back? That marks the point where there's another 10 feet to go. Off in back right the corner (invisible in this photo, the shed-like thing you can see is a greenhouse) is my shed with my string trimmer in it. In the middle back is 200sqm of 100+ year old floorboards with nails sticking out of them. Every bush is 6 to 10ft deep. The middle-distance "bushes" are actually large patches of nettles around 7 to 8ft tall.

kk

So like he said, about the size of an average American living room. :haw: :fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Not inaccurate.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Looks to me like the rock is doing its job, but just a little slower than needed in this particular instance. If it doesn't rain this much most of the time, I wouldn't worry too much, otherwise, I'd likely make the rock drainage area wider.
Note: not a professional landscaper or drainage engineer. Barely a functional homeowner.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hubis posted:

I use a preset carbide sharpener for regular edge maintenance and a rotary tool grinder jig for more major rehab like cleaning up blade nicks. Make sure to check your blade balance afterwards.

How well does that carbide sharpener work with mulching blades with the wave in the edge? I have the Dremel accessory, and it's sort of crap where the blade wiggles.
This is the blade I'm talking about specifically:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UAYOAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's hard to see, but the sharp edge curves up as the edge gets closer to the hub. Not sure what to do there. Just not sharpen past that curve?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hubis posted:

You can follow the curve reasonably well with the carbide. Keep in mind that only the sharpness of the actual at-height surface really matters (as that's what will determine the quality of the remaining grass cut). Everything else can just get chopped to hell as it's mulched.

Ok, thanks. That’s exactly what I needed to know.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Saturday, I decided to do something about the grass that kept cropping up in my tree's ring.

The weed cover I put down clearly did not do its job. I was having to use the string trimmer inside the ring to keep it down, and all the mulch had wandered off.

Out come the stones:

Then I had to rip up the weed "cloth", which was actually plastic in this case. All the little holes in it to lt the water through completely failed to stop the grass:

Had to run a shovel under it to sever all the grass runners.

After much raking and root-pulling:

New weed cloth. Since I had to slit it all the way to the edge to install it, I did two layers, with the slits 180 degrees apart.

And new mulch:

Much better.

Question: I know I should trim lower branches from time to time to force it to grow up into a tree rather than resembling a bush. I did that last year. If anyone knows, how is it looking, and should I whack some more lower limbs off in the fall? This is a Cedar Elm tree, as I recall. Dang tag came off, and I can't find the emails I have regarding it - I got it free from Oncor and the Arbor Society as part of their joint program to promote trees to reduce energy use in the summer here in TX. They provided a web page that would help you position it for shade over your house and everything. Pretty neat. I've had it 2 or 3 years now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Alrighty, thanks. It seems healthy at this point. As I recall, these get pretty big, and are drought resistant, which is the reason this was one of the options. They were all Texas or Texas-adjacent native.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Also isn't Ryobi owned by the same company that owns Milwaukee, which also has yard equipment coming out and is definitely in HD's good graces?

Yes, they're both owned by Techtronic Industries.

Solkanar512 posted:

I had always thought that Ryobi *was* their in house brand, interesting.

No, that's Husky, made by Stanley Black & Decker, among others.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Smugworth posted:

https://i.imgur.com/UWCFtrZ.gifv

You know you want to try it

Do it with a not-so-good friend's vehicle

That's relatively ingenious. Only thing I don't care for is that it tears up the yard because the wheel moves as it rotates. And that post was properly installed. Like a friggin' iceberg - 80% under the surface.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Good friend of mine runs a landscaping business and he's warned me several times that I will regret it if I get an electric mower instead of a gas one. Then again, I don't think he's looked into the issue in a while, and my understanding is electric mowers have come a long way. His main complaint was that if you have to wait too long, the longer grass will bog down the battery life or stall the motor, and I would have to pay more to get new batteries down the line, costing me more in the long run.

What's the general consensus here? I'm currently using a borrowed gas powered self propelled Honda, and that thing is a beast. I love being able to just run the thing on the sidewalk and clear out all the debris. Have any of you switched from gas to electric or vice versa? I have a pretty small lawn- like less than 5500 sq ft, so I don't think run time is an issue, and I don't think a small residential lawn will need the same things as a commercial business.

I am looking at the Kobalt 80v, and the Honda HRN216. I think I'm leaning towards the gas powered, just because I just love the feel of a gasoline powered engine.

Just like with EVs, quite a few people aren't buying them for the cost savings, which is good, because there rarely is any in the near term, particularly when including the purchase price. Electrics are about convenience, and noise and air pollution, or lack thereof, mostly. My 20+ year old MTD and it's sidevalve B&S just keep going, with minimal maintenance, so I can't really justify the expense of a brand new electric, but I am tired of feeding it gas and oil, and having to wear earpro to use it. Plus, most of the electrics fold up and stand vertically to store, which would be nice in my crowded shed. Add in a matching cordless string trimmer, and happiness is within reach. I switched from a 2-cycle gas trimmer to a Ryobi that uses the 18V tool batteries, and I haven't regretted a minute of it, other than it doesn't use the quick-link accessories, so I can't use my blade edger attachment. Their 40V one does, though... and I bet the edger would actually work better with the electric, due to torque available. The little gas engine had to be revved to heaven to get it to work properly, and even then, the centripetal clutch liked to not stay engaged when the blade speed dropped a bit.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 19, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm definitely interested in a yard tool system. Mower, trimmer, and chainsaw at a minimum, and the "quick-link", ClickLink" accessory system on the trimmer head would be useful. I already have the edger attachment, as I've noted, and I just noted that a pole saw attachment in that system exists. That would be of use for me. Maybe a blower, or blower attachment. It looks like Ego have their own modular system. I'm not firmly wedded to the universal accessories, but it would be nice not to have to buy the edger again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Chisel a grove roughly where you want to cut the slab, then break it carefully into 5 randomly shaped pieces and wedge the pieces wherever.

Geeze, at least pretend that’s not what will happen, even if it actually is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

pmchem posted:

I was googling about grass feeding/seeding and ran across this page,
https://www.scotts.com/en-us/library/lawn-care-basics/fall-best-time-seed-feed
...which itself is boring. But in the middle of it, on Scotts' official site, is this graphic which shows how to spread feed/seed:

I did an "is this real life?" double-take and thought the thread may appreciate the existence of this image on a real corporate website.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

It's pretty dope. But like what the fuckin poo poo is happening in that image?

I think they're trying to say "don't seed when it's windy", and just having fun with exaggeration.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

If I owned one of those I would find a way to do every chore with it. Laundry might be tricky but washing the car would be doable.

:thumbsup:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yooper posted:

Anyone recommend a pole trimmer? Power or manual is cool. I'm tied into the Bosch tools, but I don't think they offer one.

I bought a corded Black & Decker that is actually an electric chainsaw that can be connected to a pole and remotely switched, and it worked great, both as a pole saw and a chainsaw, however, it’s pretty heavy, because it’s a fair-sized chainsaw at the end of a pole, rather than a dedicated one designed for weight and compact size. About $100 at Home Depot. I didn’t need cordless - I can reach all of my yard with extension cords, and wanted to limit costs as well. I wanted the separable chainsaw because I will likely use that more. I have an Echo gas chainsaw, but this is so much more convenient, other than the cord. Smaller, too (gas one is 18”, electric is 14”, IIRC.) it cut like gangbusters on the limbs I needed down.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Ahh, that makes sense. Nice fit.

It does, and with that many other garages, I would happily sacrifice I to *not have the laundry be in my damned garage*.
Why, no, my current residence doesn’t have a laundry room. Why do you ask?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You know, other than it being a bit of an eyesore, more and more I’m totally OK with my power and comma coming in from utility poles.
Still gotta watch out fo that gas line and water main, though (and I know where they are.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My weed whacker has a swivel in the middle of the shaft that lets you rotate the head 180 degrees, so that the string will a now running in a plane perpendicular to the ground when the tool is held normally. Pretty handy. I’d still like to get an electric power head that will work with the quick-link edger attachment I have for my old gas string trimmer. I can do OK with the string, but it’s never as good as the blade, and the string wears quickly working against the edge of the concrete.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

They’re saying that they usually uses the string trimmer because the corded edger is a pain in the rear end.

E: fixed gender assuming.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Aging Wheels YouTube guy really likes his Ryobi zero-turn, for whatever that’s worth.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I have some grass, I think. May just be all weeds and clover.
Also, Texas, so in summer it's just brown stuff everywhere, because I'll be damned if I spend $300 in water keeping that poo poo green. At least I don't have to mow until it rains.
Now my little (native to Texas) tree I planted (free from the local power management company!) a few years ago I water. I want it to grow up big and strong and shade my house.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Any hot recommendations for a battery-powered cordless lawnmower? Doesn't need to be self-propelled or rideable. I've got an old-timey completely manual push mower, but it has a hard time getting low. And apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I like my basic 20" Ryobi 40V. Got it at Direct Tools "factory blemished" and on sale for just under $200. One charge is more than enough for my .23 acre.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/RY401110US

They sell new, refurbed, and blemished tools, Ryobi and Ridgid. Ryobi has 13", 16", and 18" mowers as well, if your lawn is even smaller than mine.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/s...evance&catalog=

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Douche4Sale posted:

For those that don't know, factory blemished is still basically new. Ryobi can technically only be sold new at Home Depot, so they are sold as factory blemished to get around that. Typically, the box might be banged up or have a hole, but every tool I've gotten has been immaculate.

Refurbished is legit refurbished with all the potential caveats of that and a shorter warranty. Personally, I would not get refurbished as the savings aren't worth the risk to me vs blemished.

I’ve bought a number of items from them (they have a local outlet that is not convenient, but accessible.) so far no complaints, even with the several refurb units I have.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nwin posted:

Let’s go firewood!!

I just borrowed my neighbors 27-ton gas powered hydraulic log splitter today and split a ton of wood I’d had around. Takes forever to unstack, split, and restack but after four hours it was loving done.

I’m never cutting firewood again.

You will, because it'll all turn to dust before you can use it.
Sorry, not sorry.
voice of experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I sometimes wonder if there would be more tradespeople if society would maybe not poo poo on people without college degrees/blue collar, but then I see how much the existing tradespeople charge (ask me about replacing my entire waste plumbing - under the foundation) and marvel that there aren't *more* people doing trades.
I paid like half my goddamned annual salary to 6 people for 3 days' work. At least I could find people to do it, and do it competently...