Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

pumped up for school posted:

Would this be a thread for sprinkler/irrigation questions?

Had a crack in the vertical PVC headed into the backflow preventer. When I went to shut off the irrigation main, it was seized shut. Handle spun freely. Dug out the control box and found (a) there are no drains (b) there is no valve to hook up a compressor to blow it out.

I cut the irrigation main valve out and capped it for now. So I need a new sprinkler main gate valve. Two drains (? Before and after backflow?), I don't quite know what to get to make a hookup for the compressor. Any ideas appreciated!

I'd try putting in a tee fitting and a ball valve to keep closed when not air flushing the system, then use a pneumatic quick connect that you can hook up to your compressor hose.

Pro tip: Get one of those foam ear plugs and put it in the end of the quick connect to keep bugs and poo poo from getting in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Corrugated pipe is pretty strong when supported all the way around, but whatever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you can drill holes and put something "non-toxic" in to the holes you drill in a tree stump. Non-toxic meaning like something that won't kill anything that comes within 50 feet of it. Like salt or some poo poo or some type of combination of cooking oil and "something". But on the other hand, I think it was facebook I saw that on, and we all know how reliable the "life hacks" are that you get from there....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

Nice house number

That was one of the first things I noticed too!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How deep do you have to bury it?
You could rent a trencher and be done in a few hours probably.

(Call before you dig).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I drink beer and water the lawn with my piss. Is that doing it right?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Smugworth posted:

As long as you're either sprinkling it around or overwatering it, otherwise you may get burn spots.

That reminds me of a funny (gross) story that I probably won't tell.
It would be more suited for a bachelor thread.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

All y'all motherfuckers that are digging with them fancy power things, don't forget to call before you dig.
Breaking someone else's poo poo (power company, water, gas etc) can be expensive and or deadly.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

frost line was 20 inches, he said, which is pretty high.

this is good advice (always call before you digTM) but the only reason i can imagine someone non-commercially having to dig 3000 feet of trench is if someone is very, very far from the closest neighbor

True, but they might still have buried electric or phone lines.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

According to a Candian Geographic or maybe National Geographic tv program I watched several years ago, Beavers hate the sound of running water. Some scientists apparently put some speakers out near a beaver dam that were playing the sounds of running water. Them fuckin beavers "dammed" up the speakers.
So bypassing a beaver dam probably ain't going to do poo poo.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 27, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

angryrobots posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2WLwleKVW4

It may not work here for various reasons, and it definitely may not affect the beavers enough that they move along so trapping/euthanizing is probably still necessary, especially if tree destruction is the primary concern. But, it's definitely A Thing that has been effective in some cases, especially to minimize flooding.

:drat:!!!! No kidding.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Biggest known beaver dam is supposed to be like over a half mile long.
Also, I remember hearing that Beavers had made their way down to the Niagara Gorge.
It'd be hilarious if they dammed up the lower Niagara River.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

I don't know if this is a regional thing or not, but there is no way we'd use sand for that in the northeast - even though we have ready access to it real cheap. This is something that would typically be formed out, then filled with a couple inches of 3/4" clean stone and compacted. 4" of concrete on top of that is fine for a parking pad.
Just curious, why wouldn't they use sand? Aside from gravel probably being more suitable? Is it a drainage thing?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Bioshuffle posted:

Yearly maintenance isn't too bad on the gas powered ones, right? What is it, add a fuel stabilizer, and change oil and air filter annually?
Heh. I think the vast majority of people lawn mower maintenance consists of add gas, run till empty, add more gas, run till empty....... . But yeah they're not really complicated machines. Sharpening the blade and clean the deck every now and then, but I guess that's what you want to do with an electric too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Is the hill in your back yard going down toward your house, or away from your house?
Whats the reason for wanting to terrace it? Not saying you shouldn't, just curious. are you worried about the slope giving way if its too steep and you get a bunch of rain or something? IANAE but I once had a geotechnical engineer tell me that 3:1 slopes are inherently stable. What type of soil is underneath the top soil?

If you do this the "right" way, you'll probably need a permit from the city, and the permit might require a geotechnical investigation.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

a forbidden love posted:

The hill is going up, away from my house. So you go up the slope as you go further into the back yard.

We want to put some plants and maybe a pergola (big maybe since the soil is mostly rocks). Definitely want to put some plants and whatnot back there.

If 3:1 is the way to go then I'm not opposed. I will need to do some calculations to figure out the unterraced wall heights. I'm not sure what they are at 2:1 actually.

I'll have to check again about permits but I'm in San Diego and from what I've read about the area they don't require for walls under 5 ft.

As I mentioned, the soil is rocky. Like reeealllly rocky.

Once again, I'm not an engineer, so I can't offer you any "real advice" only a few thoughts on the matter but I do geotechnical investigations for a living. Including for slope stability at houses, though typically the slope is going away from the house, and the people's backyards just got smaller after a rain storm.

How high is the slope compared to your backyard? Its not easy to tell from the pic. Is it taller than your house? You mention that the city doesn't require permits for walls less than 5 feet, but that may only be if its holding back your front lawn from sliding in to your driveway or something. But if you're disturbing a slope that could potentially give way and damage your neighbor's property, then you might need that permit, and an investigation from an engineer with design parameters and all that.

Looking back at your pics, it *looks* like the part you ave marked out (your lawn is the black lines, neighbor is the red?) isn't all that high, but its hard to tell.

You mention that the soil is really rocky. In my experience "rocky" typically involves sand, gravel and cobble/boulders vs. say, clay or silt or something. Have you dug down a few feet? Some people bitch about clay, but its plasticity gives it some advantages, like being harder to wash away in a rain storm compared to sand for example.
Pressure washing sand off my augers is a lot easier than clay:v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

At this point I will have to bow out as this is getting past what I could advise you on. Only thing more I can say is that based on the pics, that looks really sandy and gravelly. If you're planning on digging (as opposed to say screwing something in to the ground) it looks like you'll need to do a fair bit of shoring to keep any holes or trenches from caving in on you. Not just for safety sake (definitely for that though), but even just so you can say, pour cement or otherwise put down whatever you need for building the walls.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't know how much of a pain it would be but couldn't you dump a bunch of topsoil over the roots, make it somewhat level and then sod, or grass seed?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'd do it the lazy way.
Wet the hell out of it, roller it, then put the stones down, level the stones as needed and dump a bunch of dirt all over it and sweep it in to the openings and seed. dump extra dirt as needed when it settles.
Or pack the dirt down then seed, whatever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just install thin green tiles between the slabs

Problem with tiles is you can't predict how they'll end up.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It's pretty dope. But like what the fuckin poo poo is happening in that image?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I am your neighbor, except in my case the trees are garbage maples and one of them is dying and dropping branches onto my car big enough to leave giant dents and break windshields. Ask me how I know.

My neighbor gets all weird when I float the idea of cutting some of them down. She had an arborist out who said to just let the branch dropper "die a peaceful death."

Is this your tree or hers?
If its her tree and its dropping branches on to your car, then you should be asking (telling) her to pay for the damage, or get rid of the fuckin tree.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

IIRC, in Europe Moose are referred to ask Elk. Or Elk are referred to as Moose.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Not sure where to put this. I admit I didn't look very hard for a tree thread.

I know that Cherry seeds need to be frozen (like over the winter) before they will sprout, or at least thats what I've read in a few places. So they can be frozen and still be viable once thawed.
But what about other seeds? I'm talking Acorns, Maple Keys, Walnuts etc. Do they "still work" after being frozen?

Is there a limit as to how long they can be frozen and still be viable?

Asking because I'm looking at buying a piece of land. When that will happen I'm not sure. Hopefully in the next few years, but...........? I'm hoping to collect some seeds from the woodlot beside my parent's house and plant them bitches when I find myself my own little piece of paradise.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Do you have a dog?
I've heard that dog poo poo and turf is a bad combination.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

Tear all that poo poo out, kill everything.

New fuckin thread title right here if I ever saw one

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thread title applies once again.

sorry for not actually posting anything of value

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think I got something similar inmy bare feet in Florida in about 1985 or so

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

pseudanonymous posted:

I have a pretty big back yard, and it's gotten really lumpy, right now it's grass more or less and I threw some grass seed on it. This is the PNW and we had a bizzare summer that was 85+ degrees with no rain until mid october, so I don't know if the grass is going to set.

I'm wondering if I can regrade it myself reasonably or if I need to just hire someone?

Once I'm done I want to mostly replace the just grass with some raised beds to do some vegetables growing in.

Wait till spring when its (hopefully) rained for a few days in a row and roll it a few times.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Turf can get pretty nasty if you have a dog and let that MF poo poo on it and don't pick it up right away.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My boss has some sort of invasive poo poo growing in his back yard. I *think* its Ivy, but don't quote me on that. His solution is to cut the poo poo out of it and then cover the gently caress out of it with mulch.

A lot of mulch. Like truck loads of mulch. I guess the mulch will prevent it from getting sunlight, but as it decomposes, he has to dump more on there. So he needs more and more of it. He's figuring on it'll be a few years worth of dumping a shitload of mulch on his backyard. With the plus side being that when its all over he'll have a very fertile back yard for planting whatever the gently caress.

A guy that works with me suggested that cardboard will be good for keeping the light off, and then he won't have to dump so much mulch, but I don't really know gently caress poo poo about landscaping or plants etc...

Again I *think* its ivy of some sort, but its been a while since we talked about it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It might have gotten filled and then not compacted very well. Add to that, some roots are still there adding to the sponginess. Have you noticed if it's settling at all?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Alright. I’ve got 40 feet of movable plastic piping to reach from the sump pump release to the road. I want to put it just a few inches underground so if it breaks I won’t have to kill myself digging it up. I know there’s nothing underneath, I called before I dug etc. Any immediate hot tips?

Also thanks for posting that cheap tool purchase site. I ended up not using it but I’m sure I will in the future.

Hot tips for what?

Does the ground freeze where you are? A few inches might not be enough. Not saying you need to go 5 feet down, but things that are only a few inches deep tend to become exposed after a few years IME.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Must be that superior Kazakhstan potassium helping that grass.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Verman posted:

Every time I use loppers I just think, this is the perfect tool for removing a fingat.

FTFY

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Eeyo posted:

I won’t be digging but afaik the roots for perennial wildflowers can go quite deep, like many feet deep.

I’m mostly concerned about the sewer, I think the area is away from the incoming utilities. I know there’s a sewer cleanout port on the same side of the house I’ll be planting but IDK where the sewer actually exits.
I can't speak for your jurisdiction, but on Ontario, where I am, once it crosses the property line it is typically considered to be "yours" and wouldnt be located by the city. It is then a private utility and would require a private located. Frequently the water and sanitary are run in the same trench too (ymmv on that one). Also for the water it's typical that the city only owns up to the shut off valve, after that it is also a private utility owned by you.

If you live somewhere that freezes, they will all be buried below the frost line, which can be 4-5+ feet deep depending on where.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Once again ymmv, but here, digging with a shovel is fine. But using a pick axe or mattock, or a t-bar driver requires a locate because swinging a pick axe, or banging on a t-bar driver is an "impact" that is more easily able to gently caress something up compared to a fat goon just kinda stepping on a shovel.

The electric and gas company will *probably* mark everything right up to the meter, private property or not, but the city will only mark up to the property line or shut off valve (the valve will be on city property) cable and phone company may or may not mark on private property.

Once again though this is only in Ontario, it may vary elsewhere. It won't hurt to call as the locates are usually free.

For more info on where YOU might need a locate try looking for (your state)811.com or some poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Sewer lines can be deep as gently caress. I just had to cap one that was 13’ down before it hit the main.

I drilled through a big concrete storm line that was 5 or 6 feet diameter, it was 20 feet down.

Seen water mains daylighted that were 15+ ft.

This goon is talking about a service line to a house and I've never seen them more than 5-6 ft deep at the most. Have to admit though that I haven't *seen* that many in person, just the green paint marks for them usually.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Around here its "hand dig within one meter" of any paint marks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

nwin posted:

I’m trying to grade my backyard after I’ve cleared a bunch of brush and trees and rocks out of the way. I’m guessing I’ll need about 4 or 5 yards of topsoil to have enough.

Initially I was thinking of getting the topsoil in the spring and overseeing then since I’m too late for the fall seeding. But then I’m thinking the topsoil might continue to settle and it will look hosed up.

Think a better idea would to be to grab the topsoil now, let it settle over the winter, and then add more if needed during the spring before reseeding?

Thoughts?

Nothing says you can't but if you get lots of snow, the melt might wash a lot of it away.