Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hello, thread. i am knee-deep in a yard problem and i need your help.

basically, i moved to a new place last summer. i planned on starting with the inside of my place, spending two-three months there, then working on the yard during the fall to provide for a lovely spring. well, a bunch of debilitating personal issues happened in september and october, so that got nixed. and then this whole drat pandemic hit, which has delayed the postponed early spring work i wanted to do.

in any case, better nate than lever. i need to know what to do with this and am willing to address it now while i have all this time and the weather isn't obscenely humid.

first, the victim (lots of pics ahead):

hopefully you've made it down here with some interest. if not, understandable and sorry for the eyesores.

in any case, i just want to make this yard decent, really. i'd like to have some fun flowers along the walls, i think. at least one of the walls. the back where the grill is needs some work, sure, but i don't really know what i can do but clear it out and probably plant more flowers and plants back there.

the biggest issue is the actual yard, though--where all the grass is. there are tons of different types of grasses and weeds and other things going on. tried to capture most of what's there. i was actually able to mow the grass about an hour ago wherever there isn't tall grass. that was at least doable, but really i'd just like to have a yard with uniform grass that isn't too terrible to maintain. i don't mind cutting it once per week or so, and i don't need it to be a baseball park. just something perfectly normal and manageable, unlike this fiasco.

so yea, given all of this, my logic says i should approach it by just starting anew and clearing out everything. so before i begin on any procedural questions, is that what should i do, or is there something to work with here?

ideally, i don't want to spend more than like 5k here. really, i don't want to spend more than 500 or so, but i am completely new to this and have no idea how much any of this stuff costs. as for labor, i'd be willing to do everything within my power. i have some tools, and there's a lowe's 10min away.

thanks for any input! hope to be active in this thread over the next however long it takes to get this right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so a string trimmer could clear out everything still standing? hand pulling weeds doesn't exactly sound like a great time, though i'm guessing i'll have to do it some point anyways.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alrighty. i practically have nothing tool-wise. this is in brooklyn, and it's the first spot i've had where i would ever remotely need anything outdoorsy. but i want to do this properly. i'll have to research trimmers a bit--again no idea. the herbicide idea...i don't know. i don't think i can actually do that here? i also just don't want to pollute or risk pollution. i have no idea what piping or plumbing is in the backyard. so yea, i'll probably be back here in a few days with more questions.

thanks.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i have a scotts reel lawnmower, some hedgeclippers, and various other things left by the old tenant, like a trowel, a rake, some other stuff that probably needs to be replaced. and yes, i'd be maintaining it by myself for the foreseeable future.

again, i'm willing to invest in it. practically, i'd get it to a point where the reel lawnmower would be enough for the grass portion. but ideally, i want to do more with it. i know i need to get a bunch of new stuff for gardening, but i haven't even started planning that yet. seems like a whole different discussion. but if they really aren't, and what i can get now to finish stage 1 of fixing it can apply to stage 2, absolutely.

e: i think what scares me most is how many different types of weeds/non-desirable things are just growing in the main yard part. no idea how they got there, what they are, or anything. i imagine they need to be uprooted ultimately. i guess that's a one-and-done procedure. but then after that, trying to figure out how to make it all uniform.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 15, 2020

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just found this bad boy: https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKER-20-volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-12-in-Deck-Width-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower-Batteries-Included/50257021

seems like it should be perfect for my situation. anything alarming about it? the mower portion might be better than the reel mower, which is a bit of a pain in the rear end, and comes with the trimmer which is what i'm after in the first place, all for a decent price.