Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Does anyone have some guidance or ideas on getting a small backyard landscaped?

Mine is about 25 x 30 so fairly tiny, which I think is going to make a lot of landscape designers pass.

I'm mostly looking for a private place to relax and for a dog or two to play in.

Around here I had no problem getting the attention of landscape designers for a yard not much bigger than that - but the prices were absolutely eyewatering for even relatively basic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had this one for a while and it did the job well enough. The plastics on it did get beaten up / cracked pretty easily and you had to feed it pretty slowly to keep from jamming it up, but it did the job at reducing the volume of my yard debris.

I have a dedicated green waste barrel now and got rid of the trees that were making the bulkiest debris (some on purpose, some by storm loss) so I got rid of it by giving it to my mom.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

18650/21700 cells used in power tool batteries are pretty damned reliable and durable in general. You should expect in the range of 300-500 full discharge/charge cycles on a pack before they start losing much performance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hed posted:

Is Flexzilla a good brand for garden hoses? Are other brands’ compact hoses a gimmick?

I have a large yard with no spigots near the back so want a 3/4” x 100’. Trying to decide if something that sits outside all summer is a replace every X years regardless of initial quality or what.

I have a few of their short leader hoses for use with my pressure washer and they seem very well made. The one that does stay outside 24x7 is noticeably faded compared to the ones that stay in the garage, but it doesn't feel like the hose material itself has degraded much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

It's pretty dope. But like what the fuckin poo poo is happening in that image?

Clearly the second one comes from that greyscale universe of people in made-for-TV infomercials spilling poo poo everywhere after being unable to complete a task.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People just love to cut down trees. I think there's a tendency to overemphasize their downsides and underappreciate their benefits.

Does this count if the tree I want to cut down is a loving palm tree? It provides no shade, but it's tall enough that I'm going to have to pay someone to come maintain it once in a while. Much rather have something that I can more or less just let grow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Something with a Honda engine. Next question!

I was going to buy something with a Honda engine to mow my lawn - because the ragged-to-gently caress John Deere L100 the PO left is way overkill for the actual mowable lawn - but at this point an Ego 56V with battery and charger is the same price as a new self-propelled Honda.

Nicest mower I've ever used and I'll probably never have to do anything other than charge the battery.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Can you rototill dead grass into the soil if you are planning to start anew and reseed?

I'd start with weed killer first and then till it up, but yes - I did that when restarting the two pasture areas at my house that were almost entirely weeds by the end of last summer. Roundup, wait a couple weeks, rototiller, seed/fertilizer, a fuckload of water.

The only thing I probably should have done differently was waiting a bit longer after tilling and hitting it with more Roundup to make sure everything was dead, but I managed to get far enough along on the grass to hit it with 2,4-D and kill the majority of the weeds trying to come back (purselane and puncturevine) without hurting the grass too much. That, and I didn't do a great job of leveling things out, but it's also going to be left unmowed most of the time so it's fine either way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I got a three-point mounted sprayer since I already have a tractor, but even for the much smaller amount of ground I actively treat on my acre (both pasture areas to deal with grass, and keeping gravel areas weed-free), even at its most unwieldy it is still much nicer than the backpack sprayer that I use for spot treatments.

I will say that the hose clamps that came with my Fimco sprayer are hot garbage, I need to go through and replace every single one of them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In honor of the old thread title, my wife got the new lawnmower out today:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A few of Orbit's BHyve controllers, like the XD Smart Hose Timer, can still be used as fully dumb devices if you prefer. The newer/cheaper ones lack any meaningful physical interface so they have to be used via the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got a similar patch in my back lawn, but I'm probably just gonna throw some zoysia seed at it to see if it sticks. Rest of the lawn is bermuda.