Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Count me interested! Our backyard is all clay and has standing water issues when it rains. It's also heavily wooded! How are you clearing the land/digging? By hand or by machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

We've got 3 yards of topsoil coming this weekend and I have a date with a manual tamper and a shovel to fill some holes and level out the back yard.

We've also spent the summer cutting back the forest to the property line and generally taking care of the land, it seems like the previous owners (and then some) were just like "meh" and let the woods encroach on the backyard making it smaller than it really is. It doesn't help that we have a zombie house next to us (abandoned for 12 years as the owner is 97 and in elder care, but still "owns" the property and won't sell [maybe she thinks she's coming back to it] that is more woods than yard at this point.

BUT, it turns out there is no governing body regarding the ownership of chainsaws, so I have one now and am about to use it to take down a bunch of small (less than 4" diameter) trees. I'll take some photos.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Rhyno posted:

This has been my ongoing project in the backyard. It's a whole lot of work but we're gonna be ready to plant grass next year and it's going to transform the entire yard.

I haaaaaate buckthorn. HATE IT.

quote:

They will literally let anyone have a chainsaw! I have two now!

Me too! My FIL gave me one, and then showed up a day later with another "for parts". I'm still a little intimidated about using it.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Since we bought our house back in December, we've noticed ponding water in the way back of the yard under the power lines. Our guess is that the power company compacted the lawn when they were trimming the right-of-way. Since ponding water is gross and I have small kids that I'd prefer don't catch a mosquito borne disease, we decided to get rid of the standing water.

Cue: 3 yards of screened topsoil, delivered!

So then I had to shovel it and wheel it in the backyard

Spread it around and rake it level(ish)

Tamp it flat and do another bit if it was still too low

And then 4 hours latter, done!