Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

Some cities are already doing this with things like refusing to cooperate with ICE and such.

I think you're drastically over-estimating what sanctuary city laws and related mayoral decrees actually involve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if a President and Senate teamed up to appoint more justices over the objections of a hostile House who refused to update the Judiciary Act. There must be some reason this wouldn’t work or the GOP would have tried it by now.

Because they're already dominating the judiciary with the current norms, so why would they introduce a new tactic?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Like, I first heard “Dems will win everything if they just be as leftist as possible! Red state voters really just want leftist policies but don’t have the choice of voting for that because of those no good DINOs” back in like 2006 on Daily Kos. I believed it then because I was a dumb teenager, but it was just as wrong then as now.

Are you really going to define "setting health guidelines on child concentration camps" as the maximalist left position?

It's kind of blowing my mind that Democrats didn't use this as a moment to seize the moral high ground when the public is actually shocked by our country's conduct.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 28, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Again, I’m not talking about the border bill. I don’t support the loving border bill. I’m talking about the conventional wisdom in this thread which holds that uprooting the entire democratic coalition and removing a huge faction thereof is somehow going to improve the party’s chances because what voters really want is more purity testing.

Well, the current Democratic coalition is what gave us the border bill, which is both morally atrocious and buys the Democrats no "political capital."

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Fart Amplifier posted:

Retweeted by Joe Rogan. No context on what happened before. 5 million people are going to be exposed to this without any idea what might have led to this.

https://twitter.com/Lucet_Veritas/status/1145348576710709249

Just so we're clear about what was going on here:

https://twitter.com/elizabcking/status/1145711343128993792

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I love that idiots show up to ANTIFA poo poo in the ANTIFA gutterpunk capital of America, start poo poo, and then act suprised when someone punches them.

Like, you can get punched in Portland for having the wrong kale opinions.

Portland has become something of a flashpoint of fascist violence. Oregon has a reputation for granola culture, but it was founded as a whites-only colony, and that latent part of its culture is really flexing (also, they've been importing fascists from around the country to these things).

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I guess I get why we're dunking on him for being an idiot here, but just so we're all clear about it, he's warming up the idea of putting homeless people in concentration camps.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Dan_F_Jacobson/status/1146153111393886208

It's not clear exactly how final or definitive this is; I just have this tweet to go off.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Didn't some other guy testify that he actually committed the murders with immunity from the prosecutor? I'm sure I'm misremembering to some degree.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

some doctor literally said Eddie stabbed the dude but he covered the air tube to kill him, and he magically had an assurance of immunity to tell it so somehow A) 'yea he did stab this helpless child in the neck for sure' isn't actually a crime, and B) nothing will happen to the dude who said he killed the kid.

So, was that supposed to be evidence in favor of the defense, that Gallagher wasn't actually responsible and this guy who can't be prosecuted is? Is this lunatic scenario real?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I know it doesn't legally work this way, but by any reasonable definition of justice Jim Alexander Acosta, Ken Starr, et al. are directly responsible for every victim Epstein has harmed since his deal.

Edit: I'm aware that this has a slippery slope into Willie Horton logic, but I'm pretty sure we can qualitatively distinguish how Epstein got his deal from sentencing revision programs.

Ague Proof posted:

Jim Acosta is the CNN guy Trump hates. You're thinking of Alexander Acosta.

I dunno man how deep does it go?

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 8, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I would imagine that most of the Trump pedophilia apologists will come from the channer wing of the movement, but we'll definitely get at least a few of the more mainstream pundits completely showing their rear end.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Guze posted:

They'll just scream about Bill Clinton as if they cancel each other out.

That's definitely going to be the main prepared talking point, but I'm sure at least a couple of Fox News guests are going to say some poo poo like "do you see the way young women dress these days?"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ok because this is confusing as hell and I have not had time to Google it, can someone clarify something about Epstein for me.

It seems most of this is about poo poo he did at his home and other locations. However with the lovely nickname of his plane I've seen it alleged that poo poo was happening on the plane itself. Is that the case or is that nickname just a sick joke of his because it was the express plane to pedophilia?

I'm asking because the manifests have been a big focus and is the issue that frequent flyers were his inner circle, or is it that drat near anyone on it would have had to be aware? I saw Courtney Love's name in there and tbh it's kinda hard to think that a woman blacklisted by Harvey Weinstein was also included in Epstein's molesting ring, but I'm open to any of these rich fuckers being sick pedos.

They were typically flying to his private island, where pedo poo poo was going on. That being said, it's unlikely that literally every single one of his guests was in his pedo ring. He was trying to cultivate a powerful network of allies, not just run a sex abuse network. However, I wouldn't use that as an excuse to cherry pick the people you do any don't want to believe are abusers.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 8, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

That's definitely going to be the main prepared talking point, but I'm sure at least a couple of Fox News guests are going to say some poo poo like "do you see the way young women dress these days?"

Here's a coming attraction of the crazy poo poo we'll be seeing.

https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/1148280761319153666

Yeah yeah Molyneux has already taken a hosed up swing at this and he's just a teeny bit outside the mainstream.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

So Trump is going to use his toady to obliterate the Epstein case, and as it's a federal case one careless tweet about the wrong legal stuff can taint and destroy the entire process?

I need someone to talk me down off this ledge please. How am I wrong about this?

How about a nudge instead, because the Democrats still wouldn't impeach him!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is a particularly weirdly timed hot take considering dude just got arrested.

Like, ok, a few weeks ago this take was pretty lukewarm, even chill, since the issues were known and there were clearly no consequences

Right now though dude is in a jail cell so, kinda getting toasty there

Maybe wait till he makes bail at least

He was denied bail.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
At this point, the only reasonable interpretation of this behavior left is that they have decided they prefer to be a managed opposition party. I can't imagine a bigger political freebie than a member of the cabinet being involved in a pedophilia cover-up.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
The most charitable other explanation I can think of is that their theory of power relies on having trifectas magically fall into your lap.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Ague Proof posted:

"It's horrendous that he's being accused."

I don't care enough to look into the full quote, but the safe money is that he was being deliberately ambiguous.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

That other side of his ledger is a little heavy for that.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Beep boop the Appalachian Democratic party is still largely the remains of the pre-alignment party and they're going to behave like it.

That being said, running as being pro-Trump rather than being a populist who points out Trump's BS is a pretty dumb loving stance.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 10, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'm all for competing in as many races as possible, but the party needs to be smart about where to allocate their resources. This looks like a really dumb long-shot based on a fundamental misunderstanding of potential white working class conservative swing voters. Unfortunately, the DSCC and big donors are suckers for these kinds of hard-right Democrats and won't actually examine how her campaign operates.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Ershalim posted:

I think part of it is that Trump's administration is technically what should be defending the law in court, but they obviously aren't going to do that, so even bad legal arguments are good enough faced with nothing? This is way beyond my limited understanding, but it seems like every piece of reporting is coming back with "bwuh." here, so I don't feel too out of the loops.

The House & Democratic state governments are defending it in court. Representation isn't the problem; completely partisan courts are.

The state of Texas is the plaintiff in the case, so the state government files suit in a Texas federal court, and Texas is within the 5th Circuit of Appeals, so after that initial trial, it gets appealed to the 5th circuit.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 10, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Because that's not what happened. There was such outrage at the Raids that they 'delayed' them. There was never any promise of stopping in response to the bill.

As someone who was mobilized to do poo poo by that announcement I hate to say it, but I'm skeptical that public outcry and mobilization had a whole lot to do with him delaying the raids. It was much more likely that ICE itself told him that they were not equipped to operate on that scale.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
One hosed up thing about David Icke is that while he is an anti-semitic nutcase, several people who had been abused by the ring of elite English pedophiles found that he was the only person who would actually tell their story until the media eventually started exposing them.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
And I guess this will last until he watches Tucker tonight.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

eviltastic posted:

I do not fully understand why, but the people writing about this generally seem to agree that the available data are not good enough for the real goal, which is redrawing state districts to maintain GOP control at the state level. c.f. this WaPo article.

Needing better data for state-level disenfranchisement is why that Hofeller guy was pushing for the question.

Yeah, but they get that data with the American Community Survey, which is not used for constitutionally mandated apportionment or the like. They only use Census data for that.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I mean, I can believe that the epidemic of shadowbanning is getting a dedicated White House event, but it took an awful lot of conditioning to get me to that point.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

It's fun when it's impossible to tell if the President is calling for widespread prior restraint.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Catalyst-proof posted:

There's no way that's not what's trying to ooze it's way out of his mush brain. Saying critical things about the President isn't free speech. It's "dangerous". Sick, cool, good. While this sort of chilling effect may be possible pre-modern telecommunications, I haven't yet that seen that level of censorship imposed, other than the Great Firewall of China, and the various complete country-wide internet blackouts during the Arab Spring. I don't think the former or the latter would go well with most people, but I suppose it remains to be seen.

Normally, I would assume that's what he's getting at, but maybe the fact that he's palling around with fake free-speech absolutists means he's applauding the right to say objectionable things? Odds are that he's talking about banning fake news, though.

Who the gently caress am I kidding.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Critical posted:

I have a deep, deep fear that Trump is going to dump Pence as VP and install Lindsey for his reelection campaign. Pence is a bigoted empy suit but I feel like Graham is much more dangerous.

I'm not sure how much the VP matters in normal presidential elections, but Trump's VP barely matters at all (except, of course, in the likelihood that Trump croaks while in office). The ticket is entirely about him.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Who would have thought that a Fox News show called Un-PC would foster an environment of sexual harassment?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Pigbuster posted:

What’s the actual disadvantage to just promoting whatever lickspittle you want as “acting _____” and just bypassing the senate entirely? It seems like such a massive loophole.

From what I understand, they're supposed to step down after 300 days and any of their decisions will no longer be in effect. Now, I actually have no idea if that has actually meant anything in this administration.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
It's not the first call for impeachment, obviously, but I suspect this may be the biggest lever moment yet in pushing the party toward it. It's an unambiguous and loud shot at the leadership in a moment where party membership is being forced to take a side.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

What does it even mean for words to be taken down, practically speaking? It's not like everybody unhears them.

Not printing them in the Congressional Record, I assume.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

There are pretty much no anti-Trump Republicans any more, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Edit:

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 17, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

So can we start shoving this poo poo in the face of people who think Trump is playing some 4th dimensional chess? Cause the only people who like his racism are already in his base

I mean, it's clear that it is one of their main strategies; it's just a lovely one. Some of his smarter advisers would probably prefer that they didn't keep returning to that well, but they are running out of other options. The only reason Democrats are or pretend to be afraid of it is because it helps them punch left.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 17, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Slowpoke! posted:

If the alternative is a three party system of far left Dems, centralist Dems/Republicans, and Trump Republicans, I would take it.

Seems unlikely though.

FPTP and Presidential governments practically guarantee a two party system.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah see that's the thing. I feel like we missed our window for that to have an impact. Like the virus has taken over the bloodstream now, and I think we're way past the point where a shocking event like that would have caused our cultural system to reject him like a rogue virus. Now we're just used to it and such a tape wouldn't even really be a level jump from where we currently are. Its shock value is nil.

I'm really just sick about all of this. Sick to my stomach and my depression and lack of hope for the future are switched all the way on right now. These are really bad times and I do wonder if we're able to pull out of them. My hopeful side thinks that despite any infighting, 2020 will be this huge, strong rebuke of his bullshit because in my heart I know he's speaking to maybe 30% of the country tops, but yeah in the darkest parts of my psyche I wonder if it's too late for that now. I don't know. Gotta keep fighting to the last either way though.

The good news is that Trump's white nationalism only speaks to a shrinking minority and is hardening a growing majority against both his ideology and the political apparatus that supports it. The bad news is that the Republican party hates democracy and is actively planning on white minority rule that uses violent repression to nullify their strong demographic disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Every day we get a little bit closer...